Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

Skylar got a special visitor today.

She heard someone coming down the stairs and perked up right away.

:holy: It's your owner! :holy: Better show her your rawhide so everyone knows you're special. (Also pictured: Beck sneaking up on my sister to plant a giant lick on her face while she's distracted by seeing Skylar again.)

^Beck has been very calm lately and a huge help keeping Skylar from getting super anxious.

So far she's still very happy and engaged. She does cough more often, and she's slowed down a bit on walks and tearing around with Beck, but other than that, things are looking good for now. My partner and I are going on a trip for a few days next week, so the dogs will be staying with my parents. I know it's only going to be a few days, we've been planning this trip all summer, and Skylar will probably be fine, but I still have this nagging fear that anything could happen in just a few days. It does make me feel better that the dogs will be together- Beck is pretty attentive to Skylar and just being around her calms Skylar down.

I'm wondering if I should make a thread about losing a pet, I don't think there's been one in a while and posting in the random nonsense thread makes me feel like a downer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Wheats posted:

I'm wondering if I should make a thread about losing a pet, I don't think there's been one in a while and posting in the random nonsense thread makes me feel like a downer.

I've posted in RN when two of my mice died lately and when I accompanied a friend to have his dog pts, and nobody seemed to mind. v:shobon:v

I hope everything goes well with Skylar while you're on your trip, she looks like such a sweetheart. I'm sure it'll all be fine :)

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

What a sweet old girl :3: You may want to look around your area and see if any pet photographers do "joy sessions" which are low cost portrait shoots for terminally ill/super old pets. Especially since Skylar's owner can't live with her right now it might be nice to have one really nice professional photo shoot to remember her by. I plan on doing one in 50 years when it's Major's time to go.

At the gas station today I though I saw someone walking a guinea pig, but it was a yorkie. I don't think I've ever seen a dog that small.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

Fraction posted:

I've posted in RN when two of my mice died lately and when I accompanied a friend to have his dog pts, and nobody seemed to mind. v:shobon:v

I hope everything goes well with Skylar while you're on your trip, she looks like such a sweetheart. I'm sure it'll all be fine :)

That's true. It just feels weird sometimes to just drop with "Hi guys, dog is still dying! See ya!"

Instant Jellyfish posted:

What a sweet old girl :3: You may want to look around your area and see if any pet photographers do "joy sessions" which are low cost portrait shoots for terminally ill/super old pets. Especially since Skylar's owner can't live with her right now it might be nice to have one really nice professional photo shoot to remember her by. I plan on doing one in 50 years when it's Major's time to go.

At the gas station today I though I saw someone walking a guinea pig, but it was a yorkie. I don't think I've ever seen a dog that small.

We've been taking a lot more photos than I've been posting- what I've posted is the only some stuff I've taken, but unlike me my partner actually has talent, and a photography degree. Doing some nicer posed photos is a good idea, though, and I'll have to talk her into letting the dogs blunder around her expensive lights when we get back from our trip.

Also you've just reminded me of the first time I ever saw a yorkie, when I was about 6. It had long fur and came running right up to my feet, so I picked it up and handed it to the owner, telling her "I caught your guinea pig!" She was kind of offended.

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011
I'm not a BYB because I live in an apartment.
Well wishes for Skylar. She looks like a lovely old lady.

TyTy today

We went for a walk and met a new friend too. Here's TyTy playing with said friend: http://youtu.be/xjmOKNxrpWQ

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Wheats posted:

That's true. It just feels weird sometimes to just drop with "Hi guys, dog is still dying! See ya!"

I don't know, I think hearing about all the stuff you're doing for her is sweet :unsmith:

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper
Hex was in a very playful mood last night and was ripping all around the house and abusing her favorite "cat tree" so I decided to egg her on with a laser and get photos for PI. One of her favorite things to do is to push her head all around on my tam (hat on the giraffes head), I assume because it smells like me.

Near the end of our play session, she started sitting beside or in front of the mirror and would just :catstare: herself for minutes on end. This is what that looks like:

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
Hex is sometimes shocked at her own naked self and needs to stare at it.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Hex is brilliant.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
So, you guys know Nori, and the rest of TVs Ian's menagerie.

Huskyjackal and I are gonna visit them Monday. :colbert:

I can already see the looks of "why the hell did you bring me here" from Shadow. Diaz is just going to zoom around like a loon.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Skizzles posted:

So, you guys know Nori, and the rest of TVs Ian's menagerie.

Huskyjackal and I are gonna visit them Monday. :colbert:

I can already see the looks of "why the hell did you bring me here" from Shadow. Diaz is just going to zoom around like a loon.

Take a thousand billion pictures please. :smith: Nori and Diaz is going to be awesome.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Apparently Bea has injured herself and is paralyzed in her back end. :smith: The visit is still on, but poor Bea is doped up so hard on drugs and won't be able to zoom around with Diaz. :(

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Skizzles posted:

Apparently Bea has injured herself and is paralyzed in her back end. :smith: The visit is still on, but poor Bea is doped up so hard on drugs and won't be able to zoom around with Diaz. :(

Oh no :(. That sounds so scary... really hope she gets better.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Invalid Octopus posted:

Oh no :(. That sounds so scary... really hope she gets better.
She was acting out of sorts last night and this morning, but walking fine. My wife got home from work, let her out of the crate and her back end was just dragging :(

She's resting now. We're doing a laser treatment tomorrow and then a few more at staggered intervals + steroids. She has feeling in her feet and reflexes in her joints but there was some kind of trauma mid-spine-x-ray showed no actual injury though. Being so long-backed, we knew this was a risk with certain activities and the theory is roughhousing with the other dogs just went badly.

Fingers crossed.

She DID like the pain meds though.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

TVs Ian, that is scary :( Hope she does well with the treatments. Poor Bea!

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
Okay so you guys I know I'm about to be really obnoxious but,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SEEuTcc3XQ
(video linked because boring cow included lots of :nms: footage of Not Dog Fighting to make her feel special for owning a pit bull)

Does the fact that I want to punch this stupid bitch in the face make me a bad person

Because she has no idea what she is talking about and is everything wrong with every pit bull rescue lady ever

I want to take her dog away and high 5/chest bump him and then we will go out and do normal dog things because literally no one ever fought that dog/what does cropping have to do with dog fighting/what are you even talking about i am so mad.

I want to throw up all over all of the rescue ladies. None of their stupid dogs were ever fought/rescued from a fighting ring/used as a bait dog/I hate you.

I think I'm doubly mad because I had this exact conversation about Moses when I took him to Petco today with someone who got REAL MAD about the fact that he was ~~~~ FROM A BREEDER~~~~ after previously blooblooing over him because "omg he must be an ex fighter right omg did u rescue him omg." I don't think I know a single person irl who owns a pit bull who did not get it just so they could then go to everyone and say "I REHABILITATED AN EX FIGHTING DOG. HE WAS FOUGHT. IN A DOG PIT. AND HAD HIS BALLS ELECTROCUTED AND SET ON FIRE. AND WAS A BAIT DOG. AND FED KITTENS. YEAH, I TAMED HIM AND MADE HIM A NORMAL DOG, I'M JUST SO OPEN MINDED."

Welp thanks for letting me vent PI :tipshat:

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Superconsndar posted:

(video linked because boring cow included lots of :nms: footage of Not Dog Fighting to make her feel special for owning a pit bull)

Does the fact that I want to punch this stupid bitch in the face make me a bad person

Because she has no idea what she is talking about and is everything wrong with every pit bull rescue lady ever

I want to take her dog away and high 5/chest bump him and then we will go out and do normal dog things because literally no one ever fought that dog/what does cropping have to do with dog fighting/what are you even talking about i am so mad.

I want to throw up all over all of the rescue ladies. None of their stupid dogs were ever fought/rescued from a fighting ring/used as a bait dog/I hate you.

I think I'm doubly mad because I had this exact conversation about Moses when I took him to Petco today with someone who got REAL MAD about the fact that he was ~~~~ FROM A BREEDER~~~~ after previously blooblooing over him because "omg he must be an ex fighter right omg did u rescue him omg." I don't think I know a single person irl who owns a pit bull who did not get it just so they could then go to everyone and say "I REHABILITATED AN EX FIGHTING DOG. HE WAS FOUGHT. IN A DOG PIT. AND HAD HIS BALLS ELECTROCUTED AND SET ON FIRE. AND WAS A BAIT DOG. AND FED KITTENS. YEAH, I TAMED HIM AND MADE HIM A NORMAL DOG, I'M JUST SO OPEN MINDED."

I'm sure if we all knew the dog fighters like you do we'd see them differently.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

redmercer posted:

I'm sure if we all knew the dog fighters like you do we'd see them differently.

:rolleyes: No, people just make up poo poo that isn't true so they can feel special for owning a ~troubled breed~ and it makes them really boring people.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Superconsndar posted:

"I REHABILITATED AN EX FIGHTING DOG. HE WAS FOUGHT. IN A DOG PIT. AND HAD HIS BALLS ELECTROCUTED AND SET ON FIRE. AND WAS A BAIT DOG. AND FED KITTENS. YEAH, I TAMED HIM AND MADE HIM A NORMAL DOG, I'M JUST SO OPEN MINDED."

That looks like something I'd see on an angry red title.

:smith: And I hope Bea's feeling better soon. Poor girl.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

That looks like something I'd see on an angry red title.

I'll just tattoo it on my face and then when anyone asks if Moses was a bait dog I can just mash my face against theirs until they get really uncomfortable and leave.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Max doesn't like to sleep with anything less than four pillows, he's afraid of things that squeak and grunt, and he doesn't like to be outside when it's hot out. He also slept all day today.

The mystery of why he's no longer a farm dog slowly unravels.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

paisleyfox posted:

:ohdear: I just dropped off Koji to be boarded, too. He knew something was up when we were packing last night and I was measuring food out. He kept trying to go for the door. Oh, bubs...

Psyche kept going to the door too. The trainer (who boards dogs) wasn't home, so we let Psyche run around her living room to get out some jitters and then relax while we pet her. We kept having to chase her away from the door where she would go look at the car and then back at us with those hopeful puppy dog eyes...

The good news is though, apparently she's doing okay! She didn't eat much last time for the first two days, but this time she's eating right away and climbing all over the trainer's furniture. She's also being crated downstairs with the rest of the dogs instead of by herself like last time (not sure how that's possible, but I'll take it!). She even did a Touch for our trainer! Who knows, by the end of the week, maybe she'll be sleeping in the trainer's bed with the other good dogs ( ha ha ).

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Skizzles posted:

Nooooo poor Bea :smith: I hope she responds to the surgery, TVs Ian!

I dunno about the video's contents or whatever but I have to say that Oompa is a loving fantastic name for that dog.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Superconsndar posted:

I'll just tattoo it on my face and then when anyone asks if Moses was a bait dog I can just mash my face against theirs until they get really uncomfortable and leave.

Yesterday, I saw one of those tiny smug SUVs with a bnch of ~I RESCUED A PIT BULL~ stickers all over it, and my eyes almost rolled out of my head. Brb, going down to the shelter to adopt an oops litter dog without so much as a scuff on it that was dumped because people got bored of it so I can get my sanctimony on.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Someone asked me once if my dog was a bait dog because he acts sad. :psyduck:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

TVs Ian posted:

She was acting out of sorts last night and this morning, but walking fine. My wife got home from work, let her out of the crate and her back end was just dragging :(

Oh no, get well soon Bea!

Superconsndar posted:

There is not a mark on that dog. My dog has more scars on him just from running around being an idiot. That's even one of the better crop jobs I've seen on BYB pits.

Maybe he's just such a dawg fighting champ that he never got bit and you can't see his horrible scarred testicles from where they shocked him to make him fight (because pit bulls hate scrapping with other dogs) because he's now responsibly neutered. You don't know that dog's pain, Super!

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

TVs Ian posted:

She's resting now. We're doing a laser treatment tomorrow and then a few more at staggered intervals + steroids. She has feeling in her feet and reflexes in her joints but there was some kind of trauma mid-spine-x-ray showed no actual injury though. Being so long-backed, we knew this was a risk with certain activities and the theory is roughhousing with the other dogs just went badly.

You need to CONFINE that dog. In a crate. Not out of one at all, for at least a month and a half. The reflexes mean nothing, the spinal cord could be completely severed from T3-L3 and she could still have them. The sensation is a good thing but if further injury occurs and she loses that, it will be a very very poor prognosis for return of function.

I'm going to say that your dog probably has a ruptured intervertebral disk that is compressing the spinal cord. Those don't show up on plain-film xrays so the fact that the x-rays are normal mean nothing.

I know money is a thing but if you can get in to see a neurologist as soon as possible (like today), I'd do that. The laser treatment + steroids are pretty dubious for this type of injury - they may help some but the absolute #1 gold standard for return to function would be to get a myelogram or MRI + hemilaminectomy (surgery) to get that likely disk material out of the vertebral canal. The #2 option is REST REST REST REST more than lasers + steroids will help. The rest is the most important thing. And watch for voluntary urination. If she goes for more than 12+ hours without urinating you need to get her in ASAP. The ability to voluntarily urinate tends to go away around the same level of compression as complete loss of voluntary movement in the hind limbs.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Sep 2, 2012

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Topoisomerase posted:

You need to CONFINE that dog. In a crate. Not out of one at all, for at least a month and a half. The reflexes mean nothing, the spinal cord could be completely severed from T3-L3 and she could still have them. The sensation is a good thing but if further injury occurs and she loses that, it will be a very very poor prognosis for return of function.

I'm going to say that your dog probably has a ruptured intervertebral disk that is compressing the spinal cord. Those don't show up on plain-film xrays so the fact that the x-rays are normal mean nothing.

I know money is a thing but if you can get in to see a neurologist as soon as possible (like today), I'd do that. The laser treatment + steroids are pretty dubious for this type of injury - they may help some but the absolute #1 gold standard for return to function would be to get a myelogram or MRI + hemilaminectomy (surgery) to get that likely disk material out of the vertebral canal. The #2 option is REST REST REST REST more than lasers + steroids will help. The rest is the most important thing. And watch for voluntary urination. If she goes for more than 12+ hours without urinating you need to get her in ASAP. The ability to voluntarily urinate tends to go away around the same level of compression as complete loss of voluntary movement in the hind limbs.

That's a hell of a diagnosis from like, a four sentence quote. Curiously: why a neurologist?

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

That's a hell of a diagnosis from like, a four sentence quote. Curiously: why a neurologist?

Yeah. Long backed dog, acute onset of paraplegia, radiographs show nothing...it is a very, very common story. The other longshot differential for those signs is a fibrocartilaginous embolism but just playing the odds, type I intervertebral disk disesae is a lot more likely in this type of situation, with this type of dog.

The fact that the dog is paraplegic with intact hindlimb reflexes means that there is damage to the spinal cord, probably in the mid-back (from T3-L3). Most primary care veterinarians are not equipped to either perform the correct diagnostics for spinal cord injury or perform the necessary surgery in case it is a ruptured disk. A neurologist is the best specialist to diagnose + perform the surgery in this case, though many orthopedic surgeons are also trained in the surgical techniques. Some general practitioners are ambitious enough to attempt the surgery but it requires specialized tools and is a very delicate surgery as you can imagine (cutting parts of the vertebrae to take disk material out from right beside the spinal cord and decompress it) so it's not very common.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 2, 2012

CyO
Oct 11, 2007
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

Bear Rape posted:

Someone asked me once if my dog was a bait dog because he acts sad. :psyduck:

My dog has half an ear and is from a rescue. He's also got a couple scars from running into a broken fence a couple years ago. HOLY poo poo do people think he was a bait dog. Strangers come right up to me on the street to talk about how he was horribly abused. Sometimes when I tell them about the fence thing and how our vet thinks his siblings probably chewed that part of his ear off when they were babies they don't even believe me. A woman from Petco said I was in denial. I don't even know what to say.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

CyO posted:

Sometimes when I tell them about the fence thing and how our vet thinks his siblings probably chewed that part of his ear off when they were babies they don't even believe me. A woman from Petco said I was in denial. I don't even know what to say.

This is what I don't get. I've had Moses since he was not quite 9 weeks old. I visited the litter a couple of times a week before that when I was choosing between the 3 puppies I was offered to choose from, and then still visited after I settled on him because Puppy. I'm the only owner he's ever had and know every single thing that has happened to him in his entire life except for the few weeks he spent as a potato sitting underneath his mom. I think it is pretty safe to say that he has most definitely never been abused or mistreated or neglected in his entire priveleged first world dog life.

...and I still have people argue with me over whether or not he was a bait dog/ex fighter/beaten/starved/set on fire before I got him. "No, the little scuffs and scars he has are from running around outside and chasing rodents into bushes. No, the scars on his neck are from being chewed on by my Boston for being a dick. No, he's not a rescue. No, he wasn't abused. No, he wasn't a bait dog. No, no one pulled his teeth out with pliers, he broke one chewing on a rock like a dumbass."

They really don't want to hear any of these things and definitely act like I am somehow in denial/naive about my dog's history. Somehow telling them I've had him his entire life and there is no way he could possibly have been abused in any way makes them glaze over and they just loop right back to "OH BAIT DOGS ARE SO SAD. THAT'S SO SAD."

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Superconsndar posted:

drat, I wish I hadn't clicked on that. Sanctimonious vegan dog-rescuer? Jesus christ. I wanted to punch her :(

So, no, you're not alone.

People also can't believe Asa is a rescue dog because "she's so happy, rescue dogs are always sad from their years of abuse!"

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011
I'm not a BYB because I live in an apartment.
TVs Ian you'll want to listen to Topoisomerase here. In Finland intervertebral disk disease is colloquially known as "dachshund paralysis", which despite its name affects other long backed breeds as well. Usually rest (3-4 weeks in a crate) is recommended for cases in which the dog isn't paralyzed. If it is, then surgery is the typical route.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
Pretty sure I'm gonna die tonight.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Topoisomerase posted:

I never said I thought the x-rays were normal and yes, as logic would dictate, we have had her crated the entire time she hasn't been out on an exam table at the vets. She is urinating and defecating. There has been no letting her move about.

We have a very good relationship with our vet and trust her; yes of course surgery is the best option, she told us that pointe blank. But we don't have the money for it, there are no payment plans available and care credit won't cover it. The meds/rest are our only viable option at this time. We are prepared for whatever results from this choice. There is a slight possibility family members may help us scrape together the funds and if so, we will reevaluate.

Riiseli posted:

TVs Ian you'll want to listen to Topoisomerase here. In Finland intervertebral disk disease is colloquially known as "dachshund paralysis", which despite its name affects other long backed breeds as well. Usually rest (3-4 weeks in a crate) is recommended for cases in which the dog isn't paralyzed. If it is, then surgery is the typical route.

Yes, we're quite familiar with this, thank you for your concern.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I look forward to the day I get to explain that Amy is just retarded and grabbed Kaydee too rough while they were playing and no, my giant retard great dane wasn't used as a bait dog.

So last weekend we went up to Colorado to visit some family and all that good stuff. And we took the dogs. ...All four dogs. The hotel was awesome to us. Photodump time!

Amy didn't know what the gently caress was up with the rental car

On the other hand, Balen immediately claimed the back seat as his own.

This isn't how they rode in the car. Promise. This was a rest/water break and everyone was tangled (I don't know how) and lazy and dumb.

This is how good dogs ride in cars. (They are all good dogs)

:neckbeard: Balen Elephant Ears!

Collapsible dog play pen for the danes is the best idea we've ever had.

I tried to get a good picture of them in the hotel room together, but it was kinda dusty, so this is mostly posted for Crazy Kaydee Face.

They all also went to the dog park right before we left to wear them the hell out for the trip back:

Balen also played up to my grandmother-in-law that's been on oxygen for the past couple of years. Apparently she owned a black dane back in the 70's (I had no idea). He walked over, laid his head on her knee and sat there for a full half hour getting pets. :3: She was all kinds of happy about it, gave him so many treats and said he was the best dog in the world.

I'm glad we took them all, but moving with them is going to be super interesting.

SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

Eva had to come to work with me the other day because she got stung by a bee again and I didn't want to leave her unsupervised in case she had a bad reaction. She went in the room the visiting vets use in a crate because the door doesn't close right and I got asked mulitple times if she was abused because she had a shitfit when we had to drill shelving into a nearby wall. The rest of the time stared at the door and twisted her head back and forth listening to people talking, for 5 hours nonstop.

People are morons when it comes to pits.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Among the many awful results of that way of thinking, I think one of the shittiest is that it perpetuates the BROKEN SHELTER DOG idea of every dog ever previously being an "abused bait/fighting dog".

Also puke level worthy levels of self righteousness when the dog is a regular loving dog because a family had to give it up from moving or something.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

I'm just so constantly surprised how retarded people are over rescued/ adopted dogs.

"WAS HE ABUSED?"

"DID THEY CHOP HIS TAIL OFF TO PUNISH HIM?"

etc.

The only people who don't give a poo poo are the good old boys and red necks who live around here because its never occurred to them that an adopted or second hand dog would be a massive problem. My vet's office is great too because its a bunch of fairly normal people who love "project" dogs and former farm dogs and realize that my dog is actually fairly normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

wtftastic posted:

The only people who don't give a poo poo are the good old boys and red necks who live around here because its never occurred to them that an adopted or second hand dog would be a massive problem. My vet's office is great too because its a bunch of fairly normal people who love "project" dogs and former farm dogs and realize that my dog is actually fairly normal.

YUP. I mean Moses isn't a rescue, but still. Those guys are the only ones who just kneel down, scratch him under the chin, go "nice pit :clint:" and move on. Everyone else is varying degrees of hellish to deal with.

It's actually a pretty interesting shift I've noticed in the past couple of years. When I got my first pit bulls everyone was terrified of them and it was the usual OMG MY BABY stuff. Now It's pretty rare for anyone to be afraid of him and it's almost 100% rescue bait dog ITS ALL IN HOW U RAISE EM crazy. I guess it was the michael vick deal and the resulting pit bull rescue animal planet shows that caused it? I dunno. I also can't decide which is more annoying.

• Locked thread