Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Tab8715 posted:

How much does the Sport Package or M Sport Package add to a 3 or 5 series? By add, does it actually add something beyond interior decals such as improved suspension or better drive train?

For the record, I'm looking at 2005+ 3-Series. Maybe a 2001+ 5 Series.

Sport and M-sport for those years will have firmer suspension in most cases and definitely larger RIMZ.

Evidently the 2013+ 5 series M-sport should have as well for the USA - at least if you don't order some of the other electronic suspension stuff in which case you don't get the suspension. You will start seeing way more M-sports on the road from here out since there is also no more sport package and M-sport is "only" $2.9k now.

BMW was about to go like AMG is sort of going and make it just an appearance package because Americans are "dumb" and think extra "M" stickers make it go faster or make the people next to you at the light jealous. There are too many "M" stickers now on these non-M things.

If you are buying a 7-10 year old car the suspension upgrades won't matter since you'll prob have to replace it all anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

discstickers posted:

The sport package is worth it just for the sports seats, but there is a suspension upgrade. Wheels too. AWD models don't get the sports suspension that RWD ones do, however. You also get an increased top speed limit.

AFAIK, the M-sport packages generally are just some M-badges thrown around the interior.

Sport/Msport packages vary by model, but it's usually sport seats/bigger wheels/bumpers. I agree that it's worth it just for the seats - BMW sport seats are incredibly comfy and have much better bolstering than the regular seats. If you like corners at all you want the sport package.

In some cases (e39?) there is a difference between the sport/msport package. The e39 msport is the sport package + the M5 front/rear bumpers and sideskirts, plus the 18" wheels. In canada there is also an e46 Msport which is basically the ZHP package without the suspension/diff/engine upgrades.

If you're ever curious, just check the wikipedia page for a generation, they tend to be mostly accurate about packages and model evolutions.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 30, 2012

discstickers
Jul 29, 2004

Crustashio posted:

Sport/Msport packages vary by model, but it's usually sport seats/bigger wheels/bumpers. I agree that it's worth it just for the seats - BMW sport seats are incredibly comfy and have much better bolstering than the regular seats. If you like corners at all you want the sport package.

In some cases (e39?) there is a difference between the sport/msport package. The e39 msport is the sport package + the M5 front/rear bumpers and sideskirts, plus the 18" wheels. In canada there is also an e46 Msport which is basically the ZHP package without the suspension/diff/engine upgrades.

If you're ever curious, just check the wikipedia page for a generation, they tend to be mostly accurate about packages and model evolutions.

I thought I remember reading somewhere that there wasn't a difference between sport/M-sport on the E39s. Maybe it was only the 540.

Meh. My new 335 has M-sport. ///M door sills, woot.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007
I keep hearing these terrible things about BMW, like they're about to roll out a 2- (which will be FWD) and 4-series, and they're going to just start tacking M onto the front of anything with an M style package, and that they're about to unveil scooters. But it never seems to happen, so I try not to worry.

But then I went to configure an X1 and saw that there was no manual option, and I worry.

That is all.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

televiper posted:

I keep hearing these terrible things about BMW, like they're about to roll out a 2- (which will be FWD) and 4-series, and they're going to just start tacking M onto the front of anything with an M style package, and that they're about to unveil scooters. But it never seems to happen, so I try not to worry.

But then I went to configure an X1 and saw that there was no manual option, and I worry.

That is all.

The next 1 will possibly be FWD (the upcoming 1-GT is basically confirmed to be FWD however); the 2 will be what the 1 is today. Based on the rumours, it does sound like the 3-Series coupe will become the 4-Series. Also, it does sound like every model will be getting an M-designated trim level/powertrain at some point, regardless if there's a pure M-car in that particular model line. I don't have much of an issue with the expansion of the M-lineup; if the cars follow the same sort of formula as the M550d, who can complain about more fast BMWs?

Honestly, of all the speculation surrounding BMW's model lineup these days, the 4-Series thing is the one that bothers me the most. A 3-Series was, is and forever will be a coupe for me; I only grudgingly acknowledge the sedans and cabriolets as such.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Aug 30, 2012

discstickers
Jul 29, 2004

I remember them talking about renaming the coupes to 4-series back before the E90s came out. It doesn't really bother me much. Kinda like PowerBook to MacBook Pro. No one cares anymore.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yeah the 3 series was a coupe, but it fits in better with the 5 series/6 series thing. Now they just need to bring the 8 series back. A giant 200 inch long coupe.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

discstickers posted:

I thought I remember reading somewhere that there wasn't a difference between sport/M-sport on the E39s. Maybe it was only the 540.

Meh. My new 335 has M-sport. ///M door sills, woot.

It was only 2003 that the USA got the msport e39 with m5 bumpers, Canada had it from 2001 on. But only with 17" m parallel wheels. The mspor auto 540s got the rear diff ratio from the 6 speeds.

It doesn't help that people selling their cars call everything an msport (or in the case of e46, performance package) when it isn't. Or with the e39, every 540i speed is also a 540i sport.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

televiper posted:

I keep hearing these terrible things about BMW, like they're about to... unveil scooters.

They already sell scooters in Europe. The C1 Executive:

They're uglier in person. I saw them all over the drat place in Paris, Barcelona and Madrid.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

sofullofhate posted:

They already sell scooters in Europe. The C1 Executive:

They're uglier in person. I saw them all over the drat place in Paris, Barcelona and Madrid.

Is it wrong that I want one of those?

Yeah...it probably is. But I don't care. I would totally rock that thing after a diesel swap.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006

juche mane posted:

Welp. Replaced my radiator, fan clutch, thermostat, thermostat housing, belts, hoses and water pumps and bled the system and my car is still overheating and seemingly losing shitloads of coolant.

Why? :( E36 M3, btw. Anybody have any ideas? (please don't say the h-word g-word)

Turned out to be just a few loose hose clamps and a shitload of air in the heater core. *phew* :)

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I may or may not have blown north of €2k on a full M-Technic leather interior with heated power seats and adjustable lumbar support.

Fake edit: it's blaaaaaack.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

bolind posted:

I may or may not have blown north of €2k on a full M-Technic leather interior with heated power seats and adjustable lumbar support.

Fake edit: it's blaaaaaack.

I'm leaning towards "not". Am I warm?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Drove an turboed M10 e30 today - what a loving car. Was making 235 to the wheels @ 13psi. Custom setup with a toyota soarer turbo, megasquirt and EDIS with corvette ignition coils.

Wish I had space for a 3rd car, it'd make a ridiculous track car.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

sofullofhate posted:

I'm leaning towards "not". Am I warm?

Not really. As soon as I get my Paypal in order (stupid expired VISA card.) it should be on its way. I hope I can get everything working - I assume the heater parts will be difficult, and perhaps also the memory function.

power
Nov 4, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Typical BMW poo poo
-Cooling system
-Thrust arm bushings
-Uneven tire wear
-M62 - unusual noises, it does have a noisy top end, but its not terrible.
-6 bangers, VANOS poo poo.

Other than that E39s are pretty loving solid cars. I admit it, I do love my E60, but my E39 was a loving blast to drive. I think Crustashio had one, and I think there is another member with one. Really comfortable for highway driving, and capable of handling the twisties.

I'd tend to agree they are pretty solid, once you get them solid. Since I bought mine in may:
-Thermostat
-Battery, and related towing expense...
-Bosch ABS unit, handful of sensors during trial and error diagnosis.
-front rotors and pads
-Rear integral links and ball joints.
-every sway bar end link.
-2nd set of tires this summer due to flat spotting the front avoiding a drunk driver (no abs), and worn suspension components (rear).

It's currently parked for a week and I'm driving my backup car until tires come in. Camber wear so bad in the rear I was showing belt on the inside and about 6/32 on the outside. Once I replace all that suspension stuff this will be reportedly slightly less hard on camber wear but still terrible.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
So I'm currently a little screwed. I read up on the M62TU Beisan Vanos procedure, ordered exactly everything from Pelican and Tischer (Tischer is better for the genuine parts) and then realized Beisan isn't selling the M62TU vanos kits yet. They're apparently still in testing phase. So I'm doing the VCGs since they were leaking horribly, but I know that my car is still showing signs of vanos failure at only 91k. The only hope I have is that I know the (rear end in a top hat) PO replaced a Camshaft Position sensor, and I know he replaced it with an aftermarket one to save money. I've since read that the aftermarkets don't work well or at all. It's not throwing a code, but could that be the cause of my Vanos-like noise? Obviously that's much cheaper to fix... Can anyone shed some light on this?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Deceptor101 posted:

The only hope I have is that I know the (rear end in a top hat) PO replaced a Camshaft Position sensor, and I know he replaced it with an aftermarket one to save money. I've since read that the aftermarkets don't work well or at all. It's not throwing a code, but could that be the cause of my Vanos-like noise? Obviously that's much cheaper to fix... Can anyone shed some light on this?

I doubt its your VANOS. M62's have very few issues with VANOS. Do you have a recording of the noise... might be better to diagnose.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I doubt its your VANOS. M62's have very few issues with VANOS. Do you have a recording of the noise... might be better to diagnose.

Yeah, even DrVanos doesn't offer an M62 kit.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Anyone know anything about AKG's e34 RTAB tool? It's a lot cheaper than buying a press, and not expensive enough I would regret not making my own.

Phelan
Dec 23, 2004

Deceptor101 posted:

The only hope I have is that I know the (rear end in a top hat) PO replaced a Camshaft Position sensor, and I know he replaced it with an aftermarket one to save money. I've since read that the aftermarkets don't work well or at all.

The cam sensor on my M52 went bad and resulted in some very strange power delivery and hesitation at times. Could defiantly be something to look at.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Looks like I'm stuck with find a car with the sports package no matter what, thanks guys!

What can you guys tell me about the 1-Series? Is the size comparable to a civic?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Tab8715 posted:

Looks like I'm stuck with find a car with the sports package no matter what, thanks guys!

What can you guys tell me about the 1-Series? Is the size comparable to a civic?

Depends on what you mean by size, and which year Civic. The 1 seats 4 total, though the 2 in the back will be in relative comfort compared to 3 in the Civic, especially if it's a coupe.

Mickles
Feb 12, 2008
Vicariously, I live while the whole world dies.
I'm in the market for a used entry-level luxury car - something that would be an upgrade from my current Mazda3 that, while a good car, is rather uninspiring on the road.

So far I've test driven an '08 Infinti G37 and it was a blast (coming from an economy car). My main concerns with that particular one are fuel consumption and the lack of versatility offered in the coupe. The sedan version of that car isn't visually appealing to me.

So my next step is to test drive my long term favourite make - a BMW 328i. My budget is $30k CAD which should be able to get me a certified pre-owned 2009 328i. I realize this won't be quite as fast as the G37 but I'm hoping you guys can tell me what to look for in terms of features and packages available in that model year, as well as any potential pitfalls with that specific car. The car will primarily serve as my daily driver to an from work, perhaps with some more spirited weekend driving. Fuel economy, as previously stated, is something I'm concerned about which is why I'm shying away from the 335i.

TL;DR: 2009 328i- good pick in this segment? Any shortfalls?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If you do mostly freeway driving, it's great. At cruising speed, it gets 30 mpg. Unfortunately, I do mostly city driving. I live a few miles from work, so I drive a backroad to get there, and then a couple miles on the freeway to get back. I average only 19 mpg.

The only other problem I have is power. I didn't expect amazing power, because it's only 230. But I do miss the V8 I had in my Lincoln. All the power is at the top of the rev meter, so if you try to step on it while on the freeway, you won't go anywhere.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Did BMW ever give a reason for having the same size engine as the m54, but lacking 25ft-lbs from it? I was eyeballing an 08 128i sport that was listed at 23k CAD, but it just didn't have the same grunt as my ZHP or even a regular e46 330i.

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006
I've got an early E39 and I've read that I can put an E36 3 spoke sport wheel into it. Can I move the airbag into the new wheel? I assume then I just need to buy the cover and I can get one for cheap instead of the $400~ I'm seeing for the wheel with a bag.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Xenoid posted:

I've got an early E39 and I've read that I can put an E36 3 spoke sport wheel into it. Can I move the airbag into the new wheel? I assume then I just need to buy the cover and I can get one for cheap instead of the $400~ I'm seeing for the wheel with a bag.

You need to figure out if you have a single stage or double stage airbag. If your build date (check via realoem.com with your VIN) is 3/99 or later the swap won't work.

And no, you need the airbag. The BMW airbags come integrated with the cover so you have to buy the specific one for your wheel. Luckily it doesn't seem like the e39 requires splicing the way e36 wheel swaps do.

http://bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/SteeringWheel/steeringwheel.htm

You also need a tool to reset the SRS light, otherwise the dealer will probably charge you at least 100 bucks for that.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Crustashio posted:

Did BMW ever give a reason for having the same size engine as the m54, but lacking 25ft-lbs from it? I was eyeballing an 08 128i sport that was listed at 23k CAD, but it just didn't have the same grunt as my ZHP or even a regular e46 330i.

From my understanding the N52, while down on torque, has a much flatter torque curve (producing maximum torque between 2500-4500 rpm, instead of at 3500 rpm like in the M54) on account of the Valvetronic system. I don't think you'd really notice the slight loss of torque, tbh.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I can't make one right now, as the intake manifold is sort of... in the living room... It's got a rattle on startup, and a diesel-y sound once it's warm and idling. I should have the car back together on tuesday. I didn't check the VANOS much when I was buying the car, as I'd read it was such a rare problem.

Phelan posted:

The cam sensor on my M52 went bad and resulted in some very strange power delivery and hesitation at times. Could defiantly be something to look at.

I double checked and both cam sensors definitely look identical and say BMW on them. So that probably isn't it. Once I get the car running, I'll take it in to a dealer and see if I can get a free diagnostic from them. At least when doing the VCG's I could see the timing chain guides, and they still looked really solid. So I put that off because it was a really sunny day and I already had enough to do.

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006

Crustashio posted:

You need to figure out if you have a single stage or double stage airbag. If your build date (check via realoem.com with your VIN) is 3/99 or later the swap won't work.

And no, you need the airbag. The BMW airbags come integrated with the cover so you have to buy the specific one for your wheel. Luckily it doesn't seem like the e39 requires splicing the way e36 wheel swaps do.

http://bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/SteeringWheel/steeringwheel.htm

You also need a tool to reset the SRS light, otherwise the dealer will probably charge you at least 100 bucks for that.

Yeah it's 6/96 build so it's single stage airbag. Looks like I'm stuck with spending more than I'd like for the wheel but I guess I can sell the old one once it's out.

Deceptor101 posted:

M62TU

Camshaft Position sensor
I have the CEL light for my camshaft position sensor lit up in my E39 so you'd probably know if it was that. TBH if it didn't have a dummy light I wouldn't even know there was anything wrong with it.

Where do you guys buy parts from? I've been using RMEuropean but their service, while not bad, isn't that great either. They didn't put an invoice in the box last time which made getting over the border a bit more trouble than it should have been.

Xenoid fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Sep 3, 2012

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Pelican parts might not always have the best prices, but free shipping helps and their customer service has been pretty awesome every time I've dealt with them. ECStuning is usually the cheapest, but gently caress them for making me cancel credit cards and poo poo after someone tried to charge thousands of dollars to my card when they got leaked or whatever.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Well, I guess I will let you know how it goes.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Deceptor101 posted:

I can't make one right now, as the intake manifold is sort of... in the living room... It's got a rattle on startup, and a diesel-y sound once it's warm and idling. I should have the car back together on tuesday. I didn't check the VANOS much when I was buying the car, as I'd read it was such a rare problem.

I hate to tell you this. That is pretty normal for an M62. Mine sounded like absolute poo poo at the first start up then it sounded like a diesel at idle. M62's just have a noisy top end. Heck, even my N62 in my E60 rattles a little.

Actually quite a few 32 valve engines are noisy. Just lots of poo poo happening up top, The only time I ever heard a quiet 32 valve V8 was when it was brand new... I imagine with break in, it too will be noisy.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

Xenoid posted:

I have the CEL light for my camshaft position sensor lit up in my E39 so you'd probably know if it was that.
Only reason I suspected it was that, is I know the PO had the CEL for a CPS and replaced it, but he was quite an idiot so I'm wondering if he replaced it with a poo poo one that doesn't throw a code, but doesn't perform right. They both look identical and both say BMW on them though, so it's unlikely that's what it is.

Xenoid posted:

Where do you guys buy parts from?
Pelican is generally great for anything with an aftermarket brand. The free shipping is awesome, and they ship most stuff from the CA Bay Area, so most stuff is next day since that's where I live too. I generally use Getbmwparts.com for Genuine BMW stuff. Their prices are wayyy lower than Pelican's on the genuine stuff, but they have flat rate $14.95 shipping.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I hate to tell you this. That is pretty normal for an M62.
I'm fine with the noise, it's the hesitant acceleration that bothers me. It definitely doesn't feel like it's running quite right. I'd love for it to not be the VANOS though, I can return $200 in parts and not worry about it (which I'll probably do anyways, as there's no fix for it other than new camshaft sprocket units).

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Set up a DIS computer and see what's actually going on.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
^^^^^ Could you elaborate on how one would go about doing that?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Lowclock posted:

I bet it's easy as hell w/ the tool. Also, I found that ziptying the arms to the jackstands to hold them down while I worked to be very helpful (and don't forget the brake line brackets). I bet with the tool you can do the entire job in an hour.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Lowclock posted:

I don't know anything about the parts you're getting, but I have AKG poly motor, transmission, subframe, diff and RTABs on my E30 and have been very pleased with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
This talk about M62 startup rattle had me take a video of what it sounds like in my '00 540i.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg4xv6EawSM

The car had sat for four days, so that's a completely cold startup. I just replaced the timing chain tensioner, and I've never seen any plastic parts from the guides or anything (and after that initial rattle it sounds fine) so I'm pretty sure this is just what it sounds like normally.

Correct me if I'm wrong, of course.

(I took the video by putting my phone on the kidney grill while the hood was open, which worked pretty well I thought)