Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Everybody loving watch Face/Off. It's incredible watching John Travolta and Nicolas Cage in a scenery-chewing arms race.

You know it's going to be a good movie after the intro scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_WPZWfp_iM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Thanks for reminding me!!!

Going back to Bruce Lee's first HK movies, they're blatantly nationalist, the people of the future whooping on the medieval racist Japanese. Ip Man is part of that grand myth. This is before you even get into the "historical accuracy" of biopics in general.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
A movie about reanimated Bruce Lee leading an army of futuristic Chinese people in a time-traveling crusade against Medieval Japan would be pretty dope.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Watch Barbarella right now. Jane Fonda boobs, weirrrrrrrrrrrd 70s aesthetic and so many classic lines.

"DE-CRUCIFY THE ANGEL!"

The password is ... Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

It looks like The Conversation is also streaming now. This has been a good way to start the month.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I don't suppose there's any site mashup or browser plugin that coordinates between netflix instant and imdb? I'd like to know what the highest overall rated films available on instant are, instead of just my predicted rating. Be a good way to catch some classic films that the prediction system might miss out on.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

regulargonzalez posted:

I don't suppose there's any site mashup or browser plugin that coordinates between netflix instant and imdb? I'd like to know what the highest overall rated films available on instant are, instead of just my predicted rating. Be a good way to catch some classic films that the prediction system might miss out on.

Instant Watcher does this with Rotten Tomatoes:

http://instantwatcher.com/genres/505

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
Whole lotta movies just got added:

Amores Perros
Analyze This
Barberella
Basic Instint
Braveheart
Chaplin (Fantastic biopic starring Robert Downey Jr as Charlie Chaplin)
Charlie Bartlett
Clue
Clueless
Coming to America (which I watched again. Still hilarious, so if you haven't seen it, do so)
Deep Impact
The Doors
Face/Off
Ghost
Letters from Iwo Jima
Mean Girls (such a shame seeing Lohan look so bad these days, she's quite charming here)
Mission Impossible 1 & 3
Network
Payback (the bad-rear end Mel Gibson revenge flick)
Pootie Tang (written and directed by Louis CK!)
Private Parts
Serpico
Shooter (the sniper one, with Mark Whalberg)
Team America: World Police
The Thing (the Kurt Russel/John Carpenter version; it's off and on Instant a lot)
Tommy Boy
Vanilla Sky
Varsity Blues
We Were Soldiers

A bunch of other ones were added as well, but those are the ones that popped out to me.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Those all look like Paramount films. Awesome.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just saw that the entire series of Cracker is on instant. I used to make time every night when PBS aired it but I never saw them all so this is thrilled me to see them up.

HypnoCabbage
Oct 26, 2007
Cheap as hell since 1971.

Tumble posted:

Whole lotta movies just got added:

A bunch of other ones were added as well, but those are the ones that popped out to me.

South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut (or at least it's on my Just Added list)

And yeah, I guess they got a new deal done with Paramount for their older stuff. Crossing fingers that the Indiana Jones movies will pop up, though with the Blu-Ray set coming out in 3 weeks it's probably too much to ask.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

As someone with Amazon Prime, this new selection also seems a bit like Netflix catching up with them - those are all movies that are either on my Amazon watchlist or I have watched on Prime because I couldn't on Netflix.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Tumble posted:

Payback (the bad-rear end Mel Gibson revenge flick)

We Were Soldiers

Is Payback the Director's Cut or Theatrical? They are completely different (I've seen both). The Director's Cut is much closer to the bleak 70's style the original director wanted. There's a documentary floating around that shows how much of a clusterfuck that movie became, I wonder if they'd put that on netflix as well.

We Were Soldiers is also incredible. It also has Jon Hamm in one of his earliest roles.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I've never seen Brazil before, and I just realized the disk I rented from the school library is the third Criterion one and not the first. The menu proudly advertises "This cut includes all the changes Terry Gilliam refused to make!"

Basically what's something I can find on Netflix streaming with a Brazil-esque tone to tide me over until I can go back and get the director's cut version :(

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Power of Pecota posted:

I've never seen Brazil before, and I just realized the disk I rented from the school library is the third Criterion one and not the first. The menu proudly advertises "This cut includes all the changes Terry Gilliam refused to make!"

Basically what's something I can find on Netflix streaming with a Brazil-esque tone to tide me over until I can go back and get the director's cut version :(

Time Bandits.

It's the first in the trilogy.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I watched Jiro Dreams of Sushi a couple of days ago and I highly recommend it. Whether you like sushi or not it is fascinating to watch someone so dedicated to excelling at one thing do that thing. What I also think is interesting about the film is that it takes the time to look at Jiro's oldest son and his relationship with his father.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It'd be cool if whenever you watched Clue, it would randomly queue up one of the three endings.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

After being gone for a while, Lake Mungo is back on streaming. I'm actually going to watch it this time.

Balancing Monsters
Sep 3, 2011
Just watched The Arbor and would recommend it, especially if you enjoyed* Dear Zachary or are interested in British underclass communities or dysfunctional family documentaries. I went into it not knowing anything about the subject of the documentary and recommend doing the same.

Be forewarned that the form is a little strange: the director recorded audio interviews with the subject's real family members, and then actors lipsynch to those interviews instead of showing the interviewees. I'm usually very bothered when mouths and audio aren't perfectly lined up, but it's fairly seamless here.

This movie expires 9/6, and InstantWatcher does not show it being added again presently.

*Enjoyed is obviously not the correct word.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I rewatched Mean Girls last night and although it's a really fun and entertaining movie, it's disheartening at seeing how much potential Lindsay Lohan had and then squandered. :smith:

Shadley Puffin
Aug 13, 2011

DOWN WITH GRAVITY

Power of Pecota posted:

Try to hold on to it until you see Gilliam's final cut, then watch the butchered version immediately afterward with the commentary on. It's horrifying to see how much heavy-handed editing can destroy a film.

Nuglord
Jul 17, 2011
I guess Battle Royale was on streaming before and was taken off, but it's back up now if you haven't seen it.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Heh, looks like The Slums of Beverley Hills got added, which was one of those weird, offbeat '90s indie comedies that I used to like back then. I haven't seen this movie in ages but it's in my queue and I'm looking forward to watching again, hoping it holds up. I'm hesitant to recommend any film I haven't in a decade+, and I remember this one as being a little immature at times, but I seem to recall that it was a surprisingly solid black comedy with a decent amount of depth. Alan Arkin is in it and I'm pretty sure he's fantastic like he is in most everything, same with Marisa Tomei who's also in it.

And I have a serious guilty pleasure for the 1997 Mission: Impossibl that De Palma did. Good god, that movie's fun. I'm pretty sure it's no masterpiece but I can't help but just enjoy the hell out of it, no matter how many times I watch it.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Ichi was excellent. Warning though: it's dubbed. Its been sitting in my que forever and I finally gave it a shot. Has nice contrasts between the beautiful cinematography, samurai flick cliche's, and some slight comedy peppered throughout (possibly due to the fact that it's dubbed). It follows in vein of the Zatoichi stories, so if you're a fan then you might like it.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
Network's abrupt return surprised me. I noticed it magically reappeared at the top of my queue. When I started watching, Netflix even went straight back to where I had left off in the film.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

LaptopGun posted:

Network's abrupt return surprised me. I noticed it magically reappeared at the top of my queue. When I started watching, Netflix even went straight back to where I had left off in the film.

Yeah, Netflix seems to save movies you've selected for your queue indefinitely even as they move on and off the streaming title list, and always seems to save your place marker within the movie when the movie comes back.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Zwabu posted:

Yeah, Netflix seems to save movies you've selected for your queue indefinitely even as they move on and off the streaming title list, and always seems to save your place marker within the movie when the movie comes back.

I've always found this to pretty funny. "Oh yeah, that's the exact point mid-episode when I get bored with 24 and stopped watching it two and a half years ago, thanks for saving it Netflix!"

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Tumble posted:

Pootie Tang (written and directed by Louis CK!)

Louis CK is literally embarrassed by this movie. He was fired from the directing job mid-production and he admits that he deserved to be fired.

On top of that, it's just not a good movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Pootie Tang owns.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

kaworu posted:

And I have a serious guilty pleasure for the 1997 Mission: Impossibl that De Palma did. Good god, that movie's fun. I'm pretty sure it's no masterpiece but I can't help but just enjoy the hell out of it, no matter how many times I watch it.

I don't know that you need to apologize for this. It's a great movie.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Coming to America is a really odd movie. It is a pretty straight forward duck out of water comedy but there is a bunch of commentary on wealth and class and I'm not sure if I am troubled by it or not.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Time Bandits.

It's the first in the trilogy.

and then The Adventures of Baron Munchausen

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

foodfight posted:

Coming to America is a really odd movie. It is a pretty straight forward duck out of water comedy but there is a bunch of commentary on wealth and class and I'm not sure if I am troubled by it or not.

Coming to America is Eddie Murphy's single funniest movie so long as you don't count concert films.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

New movies, hell yes. Going to straight up watch some mother loving Clue tonight!

Also, I really enjoyed Haywire too. Watching Gina Carano beat up on actors was really enjoyable.

red19fire posted:

Is Payback the Director's Cut or Theatrical? They are completely different (I've seen both). The Director's Cut is much closer to the bleak 70's style the original director wanted. There's a documentary floating around that shows how much of a clusterfuck that movie became, I wonder if they'd put that on netflix as well.

I haven't watched this on Netflix yet, I have the theatrical version on DVD from a long time ago. It looks like it might be the directors cut judging from all the 1-star comments though.

Here's the short film about the changes between the two. It might be a bit spoilery.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV5t7HIXsis

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 3, 2012

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Coming to America is Eddie Murphy's single funniest movie so long as you don't count concert films.

Yeah, I don't disagree. When the "queen" is introduced at the beginning and the butler guy starts singing is really funny.

matrocious
Feb 7, 2011

Rhyno posted:

I just saw that the entire series of Cracker is on instant. I used to make time every night when PBS aired it but I never saw them all so this is thrilled me to see them up.

Cracker is absolutely fantastic.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Jesus. I haven't had the time to watch Prime Suspect yet and now Cracker is available. Too much good content.

Vinestalk posted:

Louis CK is literally embarrassed by this movie. He was fired from the directing job mid-production and he admits that he deserved to be fired.

On top of that, it's just not a good movie.
It sucks that we'll never see what Louis CK had planned for the film, but that doesn't change the fact that the version we have is completely hilarious.

Orunitier
Dec 5, 2010
The way Prime Suspect is numbered is kind of confusing, but it stills seems to be missing Season/Series 3.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.

Zwabu posted:

Oddly helpful but a little strange where it picked up right in the middle of one of the (many) executives ranting about Howard Beale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Orunitier posted:

The way Prime Suspect is numbered is kind of confusing, but it stills seems to be missing Season/Series 3.

No, I believe the third series is the one about the rentboys and it's on there, I watched it. Besides being strong overall, notable for an appearance by a young Johnny Lee Miller in a very good cameo.

• Locked thread