Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.
My shelter dog is literally the only dog I have who loves new people and is super friendly and well-adjusted, and in recent years I have had so many people not believe me that I adopted him from the city shelter. I have literally argued with someone about where I got my dog, as if I wouldn't remember that. :psyduck:

The funny thing is, this dog of mine is pretty old and it's only been the last maybe 5 years that I've been noticing this trend. I thought the "broken shelter dog" thing was getting better.:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

2tomorrow posted:

The funny thing is, this dog of mine is pretty old and it's only been the last maybe 5 years that I've been noticing this trend. I thought the "broken shelter dog" thing was getting better.:(

Despite personally knowing my super people friendly dog for years, my friend is STILL of the mindset that shelter dogs = broken. Her dog is from a puppy mill but hey that's better than a shelter right

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I had no idea how much of a stereotype there is that greyhound racing kennels torture their dogs until I got Husker. People ask me all the time if he was abused at the track. When we first got him and he was still in racing condition, people asked if he had been starved.

Is there a single breed that doesn't have a bunch of dumb stereotypes?

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!
The vet student curse is ridiculous. First, Charlie gets FLUTD. Then Aidan gets a foreign body. Then Charlie gets asthma. Then Aidan gets FLUTD. Then in the past couple weeks, Aidan has had some really light episodes of coughing. Nothing happened again for a while, so I thought maybe it was a fluke, and today he had a full-on coughing fit. So now he probably also has asthma and I have to book him for an appointment so he can get some rads and bloodwork. I am expecting Charlie to get a foreign body any day now because obviously they are keeping score or something.

Justin Sane
Aug 15, 2012
Rascal hates getting baths. He goes into a deep depression every time.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!

Superconsndar posted:

Okay so you guys I know I'm about to be really obnoxious but,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SEEuTcc3XQ
(video linked because boring cow included lots of :nms: footage of Not Dog Fighting to make her feel special for owning a pit bull)

While Im not as crazy about rescue ladies, that is pretty obnoxious.

Is the VEGAN title really necessary or is that part of her video identity too.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

RazorBunny posted:

I had no idea how much of a stereotype there is that greyhound racing kennels torture their dogs until I got Husker. People ask me all the time if he was abused at the track. When we first got him and he was still in racing condition, people asked if he had been starved.

Dog not lab or golden retriever? Clearly abused/starved/mean/bad dog.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

My neighbor's dogs were running amok on the corner of my property while I was walking Major in my pasture. He charged over to say his awkward hi through the fence. He is generally dog reactive and territorially aggressive but is getting much better and has been able to interact with these dogs through the fence a number of times before without incident. After some sniffing and extreme nub waggling, the little border collie bitch barked and snapped at him. I thought it was going to be on because Major has not backed down from rude dogs before but he just turned away and ran back to me for reassurance that he was still a Good Dog. I was so proud of him! We start regular reactive dog classes in a couple of weeks and he's going to be a rockstar :3:

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Superconsndar posted:

No, no one pulled his teeth out with pliers, he broke one chewing on a rock like a dumbass.

Delta likes to carry rocks around :( She holds them really gently but STILL. She's not even 2 yet.

We've been out grouse hunting yesterday and today. The dogs loving love when any gun goes off, everything from a .22 to a 12 gauge shotgun. Its pretty awesome. But we haven't seen anything, they accidentally (they didn't even notice) flushed a grouse today but we were just loading the shotgun as it flew overhead so no dice.

Gonna repurpose these herdings dogs into huntin' dawgs. Its all in how you raise 'em.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Lately every time my boyfriend looks at my laptop he goes, "It's still Penis Land?"

Yeah what of it :saddowns:

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Skizzles posted:

Lately every time my boyfriend looks at my laptop he goes, "It's still Penis Land?"

Yeah what of it :saddowns:

Yeah like it's funny and all but I so wish they'd change it back, I'm constantly worried about my work browsing history. I can just imagine the exchange. "NO REALLY. I...IT'S A PET FORUM. IT'S NOT ABOUT PENISES. I...IT'S ABOUT PETS. NOT PENISES. gently caress." :saddowns:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Yeah, it was funny for about two days, but its lost its charm. :saddowns:

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

I agree. I haven't shown any new posts from PI to my nieces because of it's name :(.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
Yeah, I've been wanting to mumble something dissatisfied about the It's Still Penis Land situation but I kept thinking "no, what if someone's sitting there all 'ha ha for every complaint I get I'll make it last another week!!!'"

It's old now. I don't have a work browsing history to worry about and my daughter can't read yet, but still.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

I've already had to explain what Penis Land is to my office manager. That was fun.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

Yeah, I've been wanting to mumble something dissatisfied about the It's Still Penis Land situation but I kept thinking "no, what if someone's sitting there all 'ha ha for every complaint I get I'll make it last another week!!!'"

That's pretty much what I figure will happen. Either that or Penis Land might be replaced with Super Dong Island: Revenge Of Penis Land.

Or bamzilla and khelmar just forgot to fix it v:shobon:v http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3486362&pagenumber=47&perpage=40#post405717888 Like a month and a half ago she said it was just a joke and it'd go back to being PI. Just. You know. Who knows when :)

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

That's pretty much what I figure will happen. Either that or Penis Land might be replaced with Super Dong Island: Revenge Of Penis Land.

Or bamzilla and khelmar just forgot to fix it v:shobon:v http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3486362&pagenumber=47&perpage=40#post405717888 Like a month and a half ago she said it was just a joke and it'd go back to being PI. Just. You know. Who knows when :)

I'm not sure which is worse.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Super Dong Island: Revenge Of Penis Land.

Way funnier than anything is allowed to be. Also, please no. :(

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Mods can't change forum names. Only admins.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

RazorBunny posted:

Not quite the same thing, but something that bugs the poo poo outta me:

"Buddy is such a good dog... You got so lucky!"

BULL. poo poo. Yeah, Buddy's great. Because we put a metric poo poo-ton of work into his training. Luck had nothing to do with it. It's always from people with "easy" dogs like labs and goldens that they still don't know how to handle. THEN they start thinking huskies are calm, easy dogs!! :doh:

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

The puppy weighed 22 lbs a month ago when we got him. He now weighs 34. His puppy canines aren't even loose yet. :geno:

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Bailey's mystery lumps went away on their own- I guess he got stung by something or whatever it was was just as minor as the vet's office seemed to think it was. I'm happy.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Whenever people find out I got Max from the shelter they don't believe me because a) he's not a mutt, and b) he's not a neurotic mess of psychological issues.

I guess we got lucky in the sense that he didn't really have any issues to fix besides physical ones and has been a very loving and cuddly dog from day 1. Even then people stare at me in disbelief that I just spent $400 to get his broken teeth pulled because I only paid $50 to adopt him. Like because he was from a shelter he doesn't deserve expensive vet care. If I spent that $400 on a puppy from a breeder that'd be okay, but not to fix an existing dog? I don't understand people sometimes.

Anyway, there are very few problems that can't be fixed without training but people rarely want to expend the effort to do so.

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE

WolfensteinBag posted:

BULL. poo poo. Yeah, Buddy's great. Because we put a metric poo poo-ton of work into his training. Luck had nothing to do with it. It's always from people with "easy" dogs like labs and goldens that they still don't know how to handle. THEN they start thinking huskies are calm, easy dogs!! :doh:

I like my easy labs. Although one is the easiest dog ever and the other has a few issues. All the lab hate here always makes me a bit sad. Buy yeah, there is no way in hell I'd ever own a husky, but then there are a lot of dogs I wouldn't own. I appreciate a lot of different dogs of a lot of different breeds, but liking and owning are two different things.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

I have a lot of respect for people who can deal with primitive breeds. I would most likely skin a dog alive if it had the capacity to intentionally do a thing it knows it isn't supposed to do because "gently caress you." I become a giant useless baby around dogs who realize that they can go "lol no" when told to do/not do something and just start yelling. Not because I don't know how to deal with issues, I just don't have the patience and oh my god just shut up and do what I say. At least I know to stick to what I'm compatible with. :saddowns:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Haha Super, I think most people agree with you. It is annoying at times, but I LOVE that my dog is terrifyingly intelligent. I swear he and my toddler are on the same comprehension level. I shouldn't say that, other dogs are smart, too, and still care what you say. I just like out-witting my dog, I guess.

hhgtrillian posted:

I like my easy labs. Although one is the easiest dog ever and the other has a few issues. All the lab hate here always makes me a bit sad. Buy yeah, there is no way in hell I'd ever own a husky, but then there are a lot of dogs I wouldn't own. I appreciate a lot of different dogs of a lot of different breeds, but liking and owning are two different things.

I put "easy" in quotes. :( I don't mean to sound negative, I LOVE labs and goldens. What I DON'T like are people who let such an easy going, willing to please, easy to train dog run amok and develop anxieties, but then have the audacity to tell my I got lucky. :argh: I wonder if part of it is them feeling like that would make it ok for THEM to have a crazy dog? Otherwise it's they're fault, that sort of thing?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

WolfensteinBag posted:

I met a 12 week old husky pup the other day at petsmart. He sat, heeled, stayed, stood still, offered a paw to shake when I noticed him (I shook it, because who wouldn't?) and was, in general, an incredibly polite young dog. He even gave his toy one, polite little squeak and offered it back to the guy when he was asked for it. His owner works with him 4 hours every other day. While I was bullshitting dog stuff with the guy, like 8 people came by with "Oh my gosh, I didn't know huskies were such a good/easy/obedient breed!"

They ignored him when he started to go on about what an ungodly terror he would be if he didn't get lots of exercise and lots of training.

Still, I'll stick to my danes. A cookie and some snuggle time will get you everything you could possibly want.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
So the visit with TVs Ian, his wife, and their dog herd was a lot of fun. Guthrie and Lucy are so snuggly. :3: Quinn is a very sweet, polite dog who will give you a creepy stare when she would like you to pet her. We didn't get to see poor Bea 'cause she was obviously on crate rest and we didn't want to excite her. Cary was a very sweet derp, but a little shy (from what I hear she's come a LONG way in accepting strangers). Nori and Seir are, of course, ridiculous. Nori really does have a fat Chow face.

I have many fantastic pictures and a video, but they will be uploaded tomorrow or the next day - I need to get to bed ASAP because I just found out I need to be up at 6:30 to cover my co-worker's morning shift because she is apparently dealing with her "kind of crazy" ex-boyfriend. :suicide:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Skizzles posted:

So the visit with TVs Ian, his wife, and their dog herd was a lot of fun. Guthrie and Lucy are so snuggly. :3: Quinn is a very sweet, polite dog who will give you a creepy stare when she would like you to pet her. We didn't get to see poor Bea 'cause she was obviously on crate rest and we didn't want to excite her. Cary was a very sweet derp, but a little shy (from what I hear she's come a LONG way in accepting strangers). Nori and Seir are, of course, ridiculous. Nori really does have a fat Chow face.

So when are you gonna adopt Seir (or steal him and send him to me) huh? :colbert:

E: After seeing Lola doing tricks and me otherwise keeping her occupied in Stressful Situations people have asked before about whether they should get a JRT because 'they're so good and well behaved and cute!' I just sort of :geno: at them and explain that they are crazy crazy dogs.

Fraction fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Sep 4, 2012

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
I mean my cairns haven't been shiba-level assholes or anything, but yeah they will flip you the bird if there is something they want to do better than attend to your requests. In turn, Mouse isn't border-collie level obedient but oh my god it is fabulous to have a dog who actually comes racing in from the garden to give you kisses when you call her rather than going 'heh, gently caress you, I have things to pee on here' :byewhore:.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

WORLD OF COCKatiels

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
Still gunning for Catlady Crevasse :allears:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

notsoape posted:

I mean my cairns haven't been shiba-level assholes or anything, but yeah they will flip you the bird if there is something they want to do better than attend to your requests. In turn, Mouse isn't border-collie level obedient but oh my god it is fabulous to have a dog who actually comes racing in from the garden to give you kisses when you call her rather than going 'heh, gently caress you, I have things to pee on here' :byewhore:.

It's funny that you say that, I love cairns. :haw: Terriers definitely do have an attitude on them, but a different kind of energy and how it's expressed. I think they can be just as hard to own for people with no experience, but people think of Benji and Wishbone and Eddie from Fraiser and think they're a completely different dog. :rolleyes:

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

notsoape posted:

How's Mouse doing these days?

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Fraction posted:

So when are you gonna adopt Seir (or steal him and send him to me) huh? :colbert:

While Seir was very cute when he dozed off in my lap, no. :colbert: I would be kidding myself if I said I was ready for another dog (let alone a puppy) right now. Soooon... :saddowns:

Also if there's one thing I've learned from taking Shadow to meet people from online it's that he is MUCH larger than everyone thinks. Pictures just make him look small, evidently. He's pretty tall and stocky in person. I'm wondering if Super wasn't on to something when saying he looked kind of collie-ish. WHO KNOWS.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

notsoape posted:

Still gunning for Catlady Crevasse :allears:

Pussy Galore. :colbert:

With this image for a background:

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper
Shadow is just a black shepherd/lab mutt, fwiw. I see *no* collie at all.

Spice is pretty huge but he keeps his head low so you mostly just notice this giant hairy wall of dog moving around. All the other collies I have met are around 1/2 to 3/4 his size. Grampa also goes rather slow these days, even with stiff joint support.

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

WolfensteinBag posted:

Raaaaageee oh god do I ever feel you on that one. There a metric gently caress ton of soccer moms with goldens and/or spaniels who are all "oh she's such a pretty well behaved dog!! You are so lucky to have an easy breed!!!!"

What. No.

Just no. Malamutes are not an easy breed. They are big, stubborn, drive-y, strong, high energy dogs who give precisely zero fucks about what you, the human, are doing because it is probably Boring. Sitka is pretty tiny for a malamute at only 75lb but she can still pull 600lb without thinking too much about it which means she tug around my 165lb rear end without any problems. Generally when I hear the line about having an 'easy breed' I tell them about how much we run. Every day. Even when it's cold. Even when its snowing. Even when its raining. Even when its hot (I just get up before the sun is up and bring water). We run. We run between 5 and 10 miles a day. I will say that I am in the best shape of my life. But holy gently caress is this not an easy dog. And after the runs there's weight pull training, regular training-training and walkies.

I'm convinced most people don't actually want dogs. They want cats in a dog shaped body.

Superconsndar posted:

I have a lot of respect for people who can deal with primitive breeds. I would most likely skin a dog alive if it had the capacity to intentionally do a thing it knows it isn't supposed to do because "gently caress you." I become a giant useless baby around dogs who realize that they can go "lol no" when told to do/not do something and just start yelling. Not because I don't know how to deal with issues, I just don't have the patience and oh my god just shut up and do what I say. At least I know to stick to what I'm compatible with. :saddowns:

I seriously would not know what to do with a dog as clingy and needy as Moses. It would wig me the gently caress out. I'll stick to my high energy drama queen divas at least I never have to wonder what Sitka wants thanks to her bazillion body language cues.

Also if you tell Sitka to shut up she just back talks more. ("woo-woo-rahh-wooooooo" "God dammit, girlface" "woo!")

Citizen Rat fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 4, 2012

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Citizen Rat posted:

I'm convinced most people don't actually want dogs. They want cats in a dog shaped body.

This is it exactly. People want a dog to be able to look after itself and be quiet and maybe learn a trick or two. It's like they don't understand what a dog is and what all it entails.
You put it way better than what I was thinking of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

notsoape posted:

gently caress cairns. My friend's pretty much ignores her 95% of the time, partly because cairn and partly because of a complete lack of training. I couldn't tolerate a dog that deliberately blew me off, I get angry enough when Jess does it (hence why Jess isn't ever allowed off lead :haw:).

Fraction fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 4, 2012

• Locked thread