Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

There's not a lot of clear answers. It seems to be pretty individual from what little I've found.

One thing that might be important to note is that she's a female protagonist without a love interest whose motivation isn't "I want a love interest" or "My love interest is missing." That makes her pretty unique, at least as far as JRPGs go.

Of course Ashe didn't have a love interest either. The only "romance' she had was memories of a guy who died years before the game started.

Her "love interest" was her homeland and the story was a tale of restoring it. Fist by any means necessary and then through more heroic measures after character growth.

She was very mature and respectable, even when she started off. She didn't go around punching people for no reason like a child.

I thought soldiers were supposed to be all well-trained battle machines who have learned to control their emotions. You'd think a pampered princess would be less mature than a military prodigy or whatever Lightning was supposed to be.

Sorry, I know we've talked about Light in the past but I have a strong urge to hate on her and praise Ashe. Probably residual resentment from back in the day when I used to go around insulting everything about FFVII because it was more popular than FFIX. I feel kinda the same way now but with FFXIII being the Popular one while FFXII is the underrated masterpiece.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Sep 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Of course Ashe didn't have a love interest either. The only "romance' she had was memories of a guy who died years before the game started.

Whatever else you have to say, Ashe's motivation was strongly love-interest oriented considering the villains even tried to use that against her.

Ashe is many things but she is in no way not a character strongly defined by her lost love. She isn't quite Freya level defined by it but it's a major factor in who her character is.

NikkolasKing posted:

I feel kinda the same way now but with FFXIII being the Popular one while FFXII is the underrated masterpiece.

Final Fantasy XIII is the popular one? :psyduck: I guess it's gotten two sequels to FFXII's one but that's more because S-E is desperate to recoup their costs, not due to its overwhelming popularity.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 3, 2012

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Harlock posted:

Zidane's steal rate vs bosses is really annoying before you get Master Thief.

And unique items don't appear on bosses until well after you've learned Master Thief, so it's not a huge deal anyway. Stealing things off bosses before that point just lets you get better equipment or learn better abilities a little earlier.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

NikkolasKing posted:

Her "love interest" was her homeland and the story was a tale of restoring it. Fist by any means necessary and then through more heroic measures after character growth.

She was very mature and respectable, even when she started off. She didn't go around punching people for no reason like a child.

Uh. She was led around by the nose based on the memory of her love interest for a good majority of the game.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

I thought soldiers were supposed to be all well-trained battle machines who have learned to control their emotions.

Not really.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

ImpAtom posted:

Final Fantasy XIII is the popular one? :psyduck: I guess it's gotten two sequels to FFXII's one but that's more because S-E is desperate to recoup their costs, not due to its overwhelming popularity.

To add to this, XIII has been the most divisive one in the series critically. And that's impressive in a series where every game tends to divide people. To the point that even the CEO of SE and the developers acknowledged it.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Pesky Splinter posted:

To add to this, XIII has been the most divisive one in the series critically. And that's impressive in a series where every game tends to divide people. To the point that even the CEO of SE and the developers acknowledged it.

Well, be fair. FFXIII is 'divisive'. FFXIV is flat-out despised.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Pureauthor posted:

FFXIV is flat-out despised.

Yeah, even the usual videogame journalist circle-jerk came to the consensus that it was utter garbage. And when they're not blindly fellating a main-titled Final Fantasy, then you know SE has hosed up.

It has the worst scores of any FF game, and that includes Dogshit of Cerberus.

[e]: Crossposting from the XIII-2 LP, so everyone can laugh at Lightning's anatomy:

CrushedB posted:

The FFXIII art director had this big thing at the presser where he dramatically unveiled a painting he did of everyone's favorite protagonist of all time, Lighting:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Sep 3, 2012

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Now that I'm able to, I'm giving the prologue of Final Fantasy Dimensions a try. It's far less ugly on an actual 3-inch screen than in screenshots, and the soundtrack is really doing things for me (the chocobo theme includes jazz flute). The "looks like RPGMaker" pejorative seems pretty undeserved; for a demo, it's doing a very good job of convincing me that it's some kind of "lost" 16-bit Final Fantasy rather than just an amateurish knockoff, in much the same way that 4 Heroes of Light (which I adored, despite its lame dungeons) felt like a remake of an authentic 8-bit RPG that I never heard of, or even, to an extent, Lost Odyssey being the weird mutant baby of FFX, FFVI, and a trainload of loading times.

This does, unfortunately, appear to include the writing, which already feels like it's going to turn out to be more along the lines of an FFIV-style excuse to go on dramatic adventures than something with more FFVI-style character focus. Still nothing as objectionable as Ceodore "Huh?" Harvey, and no children in the character roster, so I'm sure I'll be able to roll with it. I'll probably end up buying the whole thing.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
$30 is pretty outrageous for an iOS game, but hey, it's still cheaper than The After Years is on the Wii (not that there's any reason to get it now with the superior and cheaper PSP version) and it sounds like it might be the retro FF game I've been secretly wanting for years. I'm tempted to try this game if they ever release it on Android.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

NikkolasKing posted:

I thought soldiers were supposed to be all well-trained battle machines who have learned to control their emotions. You'd think a pampered princess would be less mature than a military prodigy or whatever Lightning was supposed to be.

Sorry, I know we've talked about Light in the past but I have a strong urge to hate on her and praise Ashe. Probably residual resentment from back in the day when I used to go around insulting everything about FFVII because it was more popular than FFIX. I feel kinda the same way now but with FFXIII being the Popular one while FFXII is the underrated masterpiece.

I'm not sure how to feel about that last sentence, it's never seemed that way at all; both of them are very divisive games.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
So, I've been on a little FF binge, I bought FF7 for PS3 and played it through all the way to the end, it was just about as good as I remembered, and better in some places (and of course, worse in some), but still really solid.

FF8, I just wrapped up and... it was a loving terrible experience. I don't remember the game being nearly this terrible the first time I played it. Maybe I was so enamored with the junction system, and refining/drawing/mugging my way to godhood that I didn't care how terrible the game itself was.

Okay, disc 1 is strong, I admit this. We get introduced to the concept of a Garden and SeeD, which appear to be like, child soldier mercenaries. Very cool/odd. The Dollet mission is tight, mostly because of Seifer, the kidnapping attempt on the President of Galbadia, the assassination attempt on the sorceress, all great. The disc ends with Squall falling to his "death" off of a parade float after the sorceress just introduced herself to her public by calling them all pathetic fools and dogs. Great!

Disc 2 and disc 3 take a giant poo poo on themselves. Just one boring long section after another, the prison, the missile base, the garden invasion, Esthar, it's all terrible.

Remember driving the Garden all over the god damned ocean to find Edea's house, and then the white seed ship? Remember the part where you have to get on board Lunatic Pandora as it floats over Esthar? Remember the 6 straight minutes of Rinoa floating in space? There is literally a 45 second part where its just her dumb self floating from left to right across the screen. It's all TERRIBLE.

Another thing that struck me, and someone else who was chatting about the game: Literally everything else about this game is more interesting than what is currently happening in the world we get dropped in! I feel like I'm shackled to a retarded child riding the most boring rides at a kiddy carnival nestled inside the Las Vegas strip.

Laguna's side plots were more interesting, at least the overall plot it hints at, with him engineering Adel's downfall and imprisoning the bitch in SPACE.

The lore is more interesting, Adel in space, her powers blocked except for the tiny bit she can leech onto broadcast screens laughing at everyone about how she's still alive.

The stuff about The Great Hyne, Ultimecia is more interesting, even though she's a direct foe, a world where she can send her consciousness back in time seems far more interesting. You fight a bunch of different sorceress' from far more interesting points in time.

There's even a part where our dumb heroes stop someone from talking about something cooler than what is going on. When Zell is with Odine at his laboratory, and Lunatic Pandora is about to cross over Esthar. Odine is about to talk about how interesting this giant ancient monolith they found is, and what it does, etc. and Zell basically yells at him to STOP TALKING ABOUT COOL THINGS, TELL US HOW TO GET ON WITH THIS TERRIBLE TERRIBLE MINIGAME!

Anyway, yeah.

On to FF9!

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Be ready for the FF masterpiece of the series. And you are dead-on about FF8.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I played FF9 during the rear end end of a highschool summer vacation, I finished it in about 35 hours and all I remember was how fast it went.

I don't remember anything about the plot or side plots at all, so I'm looking forward to it.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Yeah, FF9 is by far my most favorite in the series. Do agree that it seems to go by very fast, but at the same time, the game doesn't end up dragging rear end and outstaying its welcome. It is also the only one I can really bring myself to sit down and replay years after the fact and still enjoy it.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I'm kind of tired of defending FF8 in this thread. :( Especially since I'm usually the only one that does it. :smith:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Then don't? There's nothing wrong with liking a game that nobody else does.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

Well, be fair. FFXIII is 'divisive'. FFXIV is flat-out despised.

They're flat out doing a do-over on FFXIV, but if people get to defend FFII and FFVIII in this thread then I get to say that I'm playing FFXIV right now and having a goddamned blast. A Realm Reborn looks pretty amazing, but they've managed to fix up the broken mess Tanaka left to a respectably playable level while simultaneously making basically an entirely new game.

Like seemingly most people still playing this game pre-2.0/ARR I'm more of a Final Fantasy fan than an MMORPG Person, however, and I get why it's not for everyone, but I really have high hopes for 2.0 and it seems like Yoshida and his team comprise basically the only remaining people at Square Enix who remember how to make a game.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Fister Roboto posted:

Then don't? There's nothing wrong with liking a game that nobody else does.
It's all fun and games until you end up with a big red title over it :v:

(naw dogg i'm just fuckin' with you)

(ff8 does end in horrible diarrhea notwithstanding)

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

This does, unfortunately, appear to include the writing, which already feels like it's going to turn out to be more along the lines of an FFIV-style excuse to go on dramatic adventures than something with more FFVI-style character focus.

This is pretty much the case, yeah. For as much as it cribs from V in the framework, the plot has a strong IV flavor (not a bad thing).

Mega64 posted:

$30 is pretty outrageous for an iOS game, but hey, it's still cheaper than The After Years is on the Wii (not that there's any reason to get it now with the superior and cheaper PSP version) and it sounds like it might be the retro FF game I've been secretly wanting for years. I'm tempted to try this game if they ever release it on Android.

The more I get into it, the more the price seems justified. I know, I know, it's outrageous for an iOS game to cost more than 99 cents, but I'm a ways into Chapter 2 and its really feeling like a full-fledged Final Fantasy game. It's certainly more robust than any other RPG on iOS (except for ports like FF Tactics, and I donno... Bastion? But Bastion's only like $6 so what do I know).

It's also interesting to note that for the original cellphone release the entire game cost the equivalent of $60. This isn't to justify the price, just saying that from SE's perspective this is an enhanced port offered at half the cost.

microwave casserole
Jul 5, 2005

my god, what are you doing
I haven't had time to get much farther in FF9, but I just ran into a random guy in Burmecia who told me:

"Go away! I'm trying to remember what I have to do!"
"Oh yeah! I have to go take a dump."

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Azure_Horizon posted:

I'm not sure how to feel about that last sentence, it's never seemed that way at all; both of them are very divisive games.

ImpAtom posted:

Here's what I was getting at. Keep in mind this is just my perspective from what I've seen.

Square put infinitely more effort into FFXIII than FFXII. Everything from its fancy Latin title to the Lightning PS3s to the two or three supplementary novels and god knows what else shows this.

The result is that FFXIII is simply talked about more than FFXII. I post on a lot of different forums with FF threads of their own and FFXIII is far mrre likely to be brought up than FFXII. Granted a lot of this is hating on the game but the simple fact is that it seems to get more attention than 12. And with so much attention, no matter how many haters there are, there's bound to be several supporters.

Finally, perhaps this is the most erroneous argument I have, but based on whatever most people are saying on forums like these, I believe the more general public must feel the opposite way. It's just a reflex I've had instilled in me after years of listening to anime nerds I know bitch nonstop about "this is the worst show ever!" and "he's the worst character ever!" But no matter how many people I know online who bitch about Naruto and Sasuke being total garbage, they're still extremely popular.

So when it comes to FFXIII I just kinda assumed that we were a very vocal minority and it was a lot more beloved by...I dunno, "casual RPG gamers?" I don't even know if tht's a thing. I just know that there seems to be a disconnect between the average poster on a site like this and a lot of gamers.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Square put infinitely more effort into FFXIII than FFXII. Everything from its fancy Latin title to the Lightning PS3s to the two or three supplementary novels and god knows what else shows this.

The result is that FFXIII is simply talked about more than FFXII.

... FFXII got a lot of attention. It's also a game that is six years old at this point. People talk more about FFXIII because it is new. That's it

I mean you bring up the Lightning-branded PS3 and forget

this exists?

Or the fact that they had FFXII characters cameoing in Final Fantasy Tactics, FFT2:A and gave it a DS sequel too? It got a lot of push from Square-Enix. They even have a "Ivalice Alliance" name for it which was identical to the Latinus Bullshitius name they gave FFXIII.

If it isn't discussed as much it is because it's just an old game, whereas there are new things related to FFXIII to discuss. Of course it's going to get brought up.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Sep 3, 2012

remeez
Jan 10, 2007

I haven't played any FF game past X, is anything after that worth playing or should I just wait until FF15 or whatever they are up to right now? I have a 360 and a PC.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

remeez posted:

I haven't played any FF game past X, is anything after that worth playing or should I just wait until FF15 or whatever they are up to right now? I have a 360 and a PC.

Your only choice on the 360 would be FFXIII/FFXIII-2, which is a game that some people hate and others like. You can probably get it cheap but be aware it's divisive.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mega64 posted:

An Android release is forthcoming, but as I understand it, Square Enix has their head up their rear end about Android releases because they've got their own store on Android where each of their games is a timed exclusive, and this store only exists in Japan, so international release dates are pointlessly delayed.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

remeez posted:

Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon are basically Final Fantasy games; they were directed by the series' founder and there are very noteworthy similarities (another game he has developed since then is, not even kidding, entitled "The Last Story"), though they have some idiosyncrasies that might make you hate them.

If emulation is on the table, X and XII both run well in PCSX2.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

... FFXII got a lot of attention. It's also a game that is six years old at this point. People talk more about FFXIII because it is new. That's it

I mean you bring up the Lightning-branded PS3 and forget

this exists?

Or the fact that they had FFXII characters cameoing in Final Fantasy Tactics, FFT2:A and gave it a DS sequel too? It got a lot of push from Square-Enix. They even have a "Ivalice Alliance" name for it which was identical to the Latinus Bullshitius name they gave FFXIII.

If it isn't discussed as much it is because it's just an old game, whereas there are new things related to FFXIII to discuss. Of course it's going to get brought up.

Alright fair enough. I honestly never saw or heard of that PS2.

As for the rest, I personally always felt cheated that we got FFX-2 and FFXIII-2 on major consoles but not not Revenant Wings. I can't play DS games because of my eyesight.

As for the rest, you're right so there's not much I can say.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

NikkolasKing posted:

Alright fair enough. I honestly never saw or heard of that PS2.

As for the rest, I personally always felt cheated that we got FFX-2 and FFXIII-2 on major consoles but not not Revenant Wings. I can't play DS games because of my eyesight.

As for the rest, you're right so there's not much I can say.

You didn't miss much -- Revenant Wings is even worse than FFXII, and that's difficult to achieve. I honestly thought the Ivalice Alliance was a total mess from top to bottom, and this is shown by the fact that they straight up gave up on it after FFTA2.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
FFVIII is probably my second favourite game in the series and I can't disagree with a single word Loving Life Partner said. :v:

Although I'd also point out that disc 1 is far from perfect with a lot of those things, with the dance, with the "I don't want to be talked about in the past tense!" and the fact the game never really acknowledges the whole 16 year old soldier thing.

On the other hand, disc 2 has the part where Balamb Garden takes off and it's amazing. With the music and the bit with the basement control panel flying up through three or so floors to the roof and the music and the missiles are all like whooosh and then it's like boooom and then the Garden is like zoooooom and it's awesome!
But why did the missiles- Shh.
But why did the Garden- Be quiet.
How did- shut up.
Just don't think about it. Any of it. At all.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Azure_Horizon posted:

You didn't miss much -- Revenant Wings is even worse than FFXII, and that's difficult to achieve. I honestly thought the Ivalice Alliance was a total mess from top to bottom, and this is shown by the fact that they straight up gave up on it after FFTA2.

Revenant Wings reminded me a lot of Ogre Battle, which is to say, I would probably enjoy it if it wasn't so loving slow.

Aside from the MMOs, I've never really played any of the FFs past the 16 bit era. I hear a lot of love for IX around, and that it feels more like one of the older games but in 3D. Should I start there if I'm looking for a good ol' fashioned JRPG? My favorites are V and, uh, XI.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Philip Rivers posted:

Revenant Wings reminded me a lot of Ogre Battle, which is to say, I would probably enjoy it if it wasn't so loving slow.

Aside from the MMOs, I've never really played any of the FFs past the 16 bit era. I hear a lot of love for IX around, and that it feels more like one of the older games but in 3D. Should I start there if I'm looking for a good ol' fashioned JRPG? My favorites are V and, uh, XI.

If you like XI, play XII. It's basically XI offline.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Philip Rivers posted:

9 has a similar "feel" to ye olde medieval steampunk FFs.

FF7 is about level with the modern world, motorbikes and magic.

FF8 is a few decades above ours. Not very ol' fashioned.

FFX is both ahead AND behind, and feels like FF in an tropical island community.

FF12 is straight back to Swords and Dragons medieval with lots of open-world exploring.

FF13 is FF8 level of tech and then some, it's probably the most futuristic FF.

9 or 12 is what you want if you want the old-school fantasy feel.

Or just go play Dragon Quest, which hasn't changed since forever.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Philip Rivers posted:

IX would be right up your alley. There's just so much love in that game.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

The only characters with chemistry in FF12 were Balthier and Fran, and that's mainly because they simply showed, rather than told, them being what they are.

If every Final Fantasy game henceforth is just going to be a spinoff, they just need to make one where those two pick up Gilgamesh and Ultros and they just go trolling every FF world.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Philip Rivers posted:

Should I start there if I'm looking for a good ol' fashioned JRPG? My favorites are V and, uh, XI.

9 probably won't have enough party-building for you. You might dig 7 or 8, but 9 is very... "completionist" rather than "customizationist." You have no say in who is what class, they just have set roles with set ability lists that you can fill out as you get more items. It's great fun for a pack rat, and can be either fantastic or a fantastic nightmare for the OCD player.

Stick to FFT and Ogre Battle, I get the feeling you're probably more the "Wizards are getting boring, which stats do I need to trend this dude toward to make a motherfucking ninja? What about, like, a Good Wizard, can I make a Lich and take him from -100 Chaotic all the way to 100 Lawful?" sort of player. Which is perfectly fine, I love doin' that kinda thing too. Just not even close to the itch FF9 aims to scratch at all.

I mean, I love lots of different kinds of video games and playstyles and have a variety of tastes, but when I come across something I hate, god drat will I hate it, haha.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Sep 3, 2012

Rape Jake.
Feb 23, 2012

by T. Mascis

VagueRant posted:

FFVIII is probably my second favourite game in the series and I can't disagree with a single word Loving Life Partner said. :v:

Although I'd also point out that disc 1 is far from perfect with a lot of those things, with the dance, with the "I don't want to be talked about in the past tense!" and the fact the game never really acknowledges the whole 16 year old soldier thing.

On the other hand, disc 2 has the part where Balamb Garden takes off and it's amazing. With the music and the bit with the basement control panel flying up through three or so floors to the roof and the music and the missiles are all like whooosh and then it's like boooom and then the Garden is like zoooooom and it's awesome!
But why did the missiles- Shh.
But why did the Garden- Be quiet.
How did- shut up.
Just don't think about it. Any of it. At all.

Final Fantasy 8 posted:

Quistis: What's wrong, Squall?
Squall: I won't have it!
Zell: W-what?
Selphie: Are you MAD?
Squall: I'm not having anyone talk about me in past tense!

If you read that without thinking "goddamn Final Fantasy 8 owns", you're broken.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Rape Jake. posted:

If you read that without thinking "goddamn Final Fantasy 8 owns", you're broken.
The Expendables does some dumb poo poo, but it knows it's doing dumb poo poo. It tells you, "don't think about it because it's stupid."

FF8 does lots of dumb poo poo, but it thinks itself Shakespeare. It tells you, "don't think about it because you are too insignificant to understand my greatness."

That's when problems start.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Rape Jake. posted:

FF8 owns because it has some of the more accurate depictions of teenagers given magical soldier training, complete with random outbursts and fantastically stupid impulsive decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rape Jake.
Feb 23, 2012

by T. Mascis

The White Dragon posted:

The Expendables does some dumb poo poo, but it knows it's doing dumb poo poo. It tells you, "don't think about it because it's stupid."

FF8 does lots of dumb poo poo, but it thinks itself Shakespeare. It tells you, "don't think about it because you are too insignificant to understand my greatness."

That's when problems start.

Uhh the retarded plots are the whole point of JRPGs, I dunno what universe you live in.