Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Oh definitely, zombie apocalypse survivalist gun nuts are the best type of gun nuts, especially when they start mixing in their politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea no matter what you think of gun culture and all, we can all agree people so dumb they think they legit need a 'zombie plan' are maybe some of the funniest people. That'd make a great episode.

Bunnybread
Feb 16, 2012

Squint posted:

Sup Bunnybread.

I don't know if there would be enough interest to warrant its own thread, but a few of us (oh right this is Isfahan by the way) like me and Stog and Portaxx watch the comments section of The F Plus's website pretty closely, so any questions that get asked there would probably get answered.

Sup, Sugar.

Here's something that I should have remembered from when toanoradian asked where we get our stuff.

We've gotten a bunch of great episodes from listener submissions.
So, in case anyone didn't know, we have a nice little Submit Content button on the main page of that aforementioned website. Feel free to head over there and drop off whatever fresh slice of internet hell that has narration potential. I'd appreciate anything involving Edith Bunker.

It can be anonymous if you don't want anyone to ask why you have a ton of 'My Little Pony + Todd Akin' slashfic.
But we try to give credit where it's due so you can proudly say "I helped make the world a little bit shittier, today"

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

I just posted a new mini-episode

http://loureads.com/2012/08/23/lou-reads-all-about-foot-sniffing-a-minisode/

I'm going to try to record a new episode before I have to go to PAX for work. I have to go there to work on the League of Legends event. Maybe I'll do something from their forums...

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Glitterbomber posted:

Horrible dick is a touch much, the one I agree with most is 'up his own rear end'. He's perfectly cool to talk with (and for real, he loves movies, even if you hate him he's a treat to listen to talk movies, go download that How Did This Get Made) but he's just kinda gotten into this 'my group vs the world' thing due to the roots of his career and all. He likes to gently caress with critics so naturally that gets him bad press, and he tends to default to 'well you don't get it' when people mention problems in his films, but yea aside from that the dude's pretty pleasant.

Again though, even if you hate the dude, guy loving loves movies, him on a movie podcast is gonna be awesome to listen to.

Didn't say horrible dick was a completely terrible thing. But yes he's mad pompous about movie making and people asking him "How To Make It" seemingly bothers him to no end. Anything he says about actual movies is amazing though.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Politicalrancor posted:

Didn't say horrible dick was a completely terrible thing. But yes he's mad pompous about movie making and people asking him "How To Make It" seemingly bothers him to no end. Anything he says about actual movies is amazing though.

To be fair from what I've seen the 'how to make it' poo poo makes him annoyed because A) he's still got the indy mentality of 'no one helped me, man', and B) 'how to make it' is such a subjective, luck based, thing he can't do much more than say "I dunno, don't suck?"

What with him being an icon of 'random shmuck makes good' I can imagine he's had to answer that a bunch.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Well he's told his "how I made it" story a billion times, and it was "have a good idea and put it all on credit cards to shoot it. Submit to festivals, hope someone likes it." There's not much beyond that. And if you're at a Kevin Smith Q&A, you've heard that story at least ten times, whether it's on a commentary, an interview, a podcast, one of his DVDs, his book, his blog, a magazine article, etc. Nobody's going to a Kevin Smith Q&A blind. So when people ask "how do you make it" what they really mean is "I'm lazy and uncreative so give me a step by step guide/give me an agent's phone number"

indigi fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Aug 25, 2012

Past Tense Ragu
Oct 17, 2005

If he calls movies "flicks" even once I won't listen to it. If he talks about his wife's rear end in a top hat I won't listen to it. If he makes obnoxious, self-deprecating, faux-modest jokes I won't listen to it. Should I listen to his How Did This Get Made?

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams

Past Tense Ragu posted:

If he calls movies "flicks" even once I won't listen to it. If he talks about his wife's rear end in a top hat I won't listen to it. If he makes obnoxious, self-deprecating, faux-modest jokes I won't listen to it. Should I listen to his How Did This Get Made?

It's amusing if you haven't heard some of his stories he's told before (I hadn't, I'm not that big of a Kevin Smith fan, but I think he's an okay guy), but he keeps it on the level as well. It's definitely worth it if you want a peek into the mind of Jon Peters, the producer of Wild Wild West, the Tim Burton version of Batman, and the aborted Superman movie Nicolas Cage might have starred in.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Past Tense Ragu posted:

You must be the kinda cat who doesn't like listening to pods 'n poo poo

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.

Past Tense Ragu posted:

It sounds like you just don't want to listen to it, so don't listen to it.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Past Tense Ragu posted:

He does two out of three, so I'd say skip it.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
I'm allergic to fat past it filmmakers, should I listen to this?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I like neither movie podcasts nor Kevin Smith, should I listen to this movie podcast with Kevin Smith?!

AndIRanSoFarAway
Mar 31, 2011
Okay, as per the thread's suggestion I checked (chuck?) out "We Hate Movies" as an alternative movie-bashing to How Did This Get Made? and it stinks. Tried some of the older ones and the latest one, but could not get into it. Any particular episodes stick out to anyone?

I'll try The Flophouse, hopefully I can handle that one. The premise is great for this type of show but it really takes some talent for the execution. HDTGM has good guests and Mantzoukas, but still drops the ball every time.

Any other 'crappy-movie' podcasts out there you fine folks'd recommend?

AndIRanSoFarAway fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 28, 2012

AndIRanSoFarAway
Mar 31, 2011
The Flophouse is the worst podcast I've downloaded.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AndIRanSoFarAway posted:

Okay, as per the thread's suggestion I checked (chuck?) out "We Hate Movies" as an alternative movie-bashing to How Did This Get Made? and it stinks. Tried some of the older ones and the latest one, but could not get into it. Any particular episodes stick out to anyone?

I'll try The Flophouse, hopefully I can handle that one. The premise is great for this type of show but it really takes some talent for the execution. HDTGM has good guests and Mantzoukas, but still drops the ball every time.

Not sure on episode numbers but for We Hate Movies try out the first 'Ewoks'(or anything with Wilford Brimley in it really) and the 'Hider in the House' episodes. Those are the two that sold me on it.

bango skank fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Aug 28, 2012

The 47 Reagans
Mar 14, 2010

AndIRanSoFarAway posted:

There's also Yeah, It's That Bad. It's three guys talking about movies that are under 60% on Rotten Tomatoes and discussing whether or not they're that bad (they usually are).

It's more structured than the other movie podcasts in this thread, and the hosts have good chemistry. If you're really not liking HDGTM, The Flophouse, or WHM, try checking out an episode or two of this and see if it's any better.

I'd recommend starting with an earlier episode; I got sold on the Showgirls and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen eps.

Also re: We Hate Movies: if you haven't already, try The Hand and Evilspeak (Eps 6 and 10, respectively).

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

The 47 Reagans posted:

There's also Yeah, It's That Bad. It's three guys talking about movies that are under 60% on Rotten Tomatoes and discussing whether or not they're that bad (they usually are).

I listen to Yeah It's That Bad most weeks, but their editing just really claws at me. I don't know how they do it, but they edit so much (and so obviously) that it sounds like that Nine Inch Nails song Starfuckers. Like the cut each word and rearranged them. It is the most structured movie podcast I've heard, though.

JudgeJoeBrown
Mar 23, 2007

bango skank posted:

Not sure on episode numbers but for We Hate Movies try out the first 'Ewoks'(or anything with Wilford Brimley in it really) and the 'Hider in the House' episodes. Those are the two that sold me on it.

Also the Adventures of Ford Fairlane, and any Jim Belushi movie

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

JudgeJoeBrown posted:

Also the Adventures of Ford Fairlane, and any Jim Belushi movie

Yea just search for Jim Belushi, Wilford Brimley, or "White Guy Karate" and you're gold.

Man, though, I love both We Hate Movies and Flophouse, what turned you off, exactly? Not trying to be all 'hur hur you don't like something I do, idiot', just legitimately curious what turns people off of stuff I dig.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I guess most people that don't like The Flophouse have a problem with Elliot. He talks/sings a lot and he has the dumbest jokes and that is why I love him but I can see how it can be annoying.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Popelmon posted:

I guess most people that don't like The Flophouse have a problem with Elliot. He talks/sings a lot and he has the dumbest jokes and that is why I love him but I can see how it can be annoying.

Their endless lists and tangents usually led by Elliott are a big reason I listen to the show. It's pretty impressive how much he can do just from the top of his head and the jokes and puns usually at least make me smile if not laugh.

ACS
Apr 30, 2009

AndIRanSoFarAway posted:

I didn't like "We Hate Movies" or "The Flophouse" either. Lately I've been listening to "Film Sack". They watch lovely movies on Net Flix and then review them. I like it because they do some pretty decent movies along with the loads of poo poo.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Personal opinion aside, I'm gob smacked that people like HDTGM but hate WHM and the Flophouse.

IT...MAKES...NO...SENSE!!

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007
The reason I don't like We Hate Movies but love the Flophouse is that WHM seems to go into each movie thinking 'This is gonna be the worst poo poo ever' and work extra hard at tearing it a new rear end in a top hat. While this IS the point of the show, they really stretch it past its breaking point and it's really obvious (to me, anyway) when they're exaggerating and grasping at straws.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I think both shows would do better to let the content drive the length. Neither the "Passion Play" episode of Flophouse nor this most recent episode of WHM needed to be 90 minutes long, and the effort to stretch drags them down.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em

synertia posted:

I listen to Yeah It's That Bad most weeks, but their editing just really claws at me. I don't know how they do it, but they edit so much (and so obviously) that it sounds like that Nine Inch Nails song Starfuckers. Like the cut each word and rearranged them. It is the most structured movie podcast I've heard, though.

This isa verytrue statement.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Ograbme posted:

This isa verytrue statement.

I've thought about trying to contact them in a letter or tweet or something but I can't formulate any constructive criticism where I don't come off like some pretentious audiophile. Most listeners don't seem to care anyway.

The 47 Reagans
Mar 14, 2010

synertia posted:

I've thought about trying to contact them in a letter or tweet or something but I can't formulate any constructive criticism where I don't come off like some pretentious audiophile. Most listeners don't seem to care anyway.

Someone wrote in on the Hollow Man episode to actually complement them on their obsessive editing (yeah I don't know either); apparently Joel just does it all in GarageBand.

Also re: Yeah It's That Bad for people new to it: there's a slice of episodes in the middle (don't know when it starts but I think it ends in the mid-50s?) where they play listener voicemail reviews of that episode's movie. They're not that great.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
Well Jason Mantzoukas is on You Made it Weird and I need to go change my undershorts. So excited.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Came to hype new Gelmania, but since people are talking about movie podcasts, I have to bring up Film Junk.
http://www.filmjunk.com/podcast/
It's a general movies 'cast and it isn't strictly comedy, but I probably genuinely laugh more at it than any other podcast, period.
There was an attempt at a thread a while back which died after two posts and is now lost to the archives.

PS: New Gelmania

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

New Gelmania!

Now stop! Now start! Ok, doing great!

Bunk Rogers fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Aug 31, 2012

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I love WHM, it's my favourite movie podcast, I think it probably helps that most of the movies they do are either pretty obscure ones that I haven't seen, ones that I have seen but a long time ago and only vaguely remember, and/or actually really as terrible as they say it is. I recommend the Boys and Girls episode if you want a good place to start.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Dancing Potato posted:

The reason I don't like We Hate Movies but love the Flophouse is that WHM seems to go into each movie thinking 'This is gonna be the worst poo poo ever' and work extra hard at tearing it a new rear end in a top hat. While this IS the point of the show, they really stretch it past its breaking point and it's really obvious (to me, anyway) when they're exaggerating and grasping at straws.

I can't agree with that at all, there's a lot of films that they ultimately end up recommending. They legitimately enjoyed a lot of 'Hider in the House' for example. They also have a blast with Gymkata. I don't think anyone was expecting them to like 'Rock and Roll High School Forever' example.

I like the Flophouse but hate 'How did this get made?'. I feel that those guys are doing what you describe, where they really clutch at straws and act like the smallest thing is unbelievable and hilarious.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

DrVenkman posted:

I can't agree with that at all, there's a lot of films that they ultimately end up recommending. They legitimately enjoyed a lot of 'Hider in the House' for example. They also have a blast with Gymkata. I don't think anyone was expecting them to like 'Rock and Roll High School Forever' example.

I like the Flophouse but hate 'How did this get made?'. I feel that those guys are doing what you describe, where they really clutch at straws and act like the smallest thing is unbelievable and hilarious.

I think you're hitting on the real issue. Everyone has different tastes. Whenever I listen to an episode of HDTGM where I don't agree with what they're saying I feel like they're "grasping at straws". Same goes for the other bad movie review podcasts I've listened to. I have yet to find a show like this that has the same sensibility in terms of movies as I do, though I imagine it'd be hard since I watch and love pretty terrible movies.

I just tend to avoid shows that hinge on reviews or making fun of X subject because of this, I'm bound to disagree at some point. The only reason I still listen to HDTGM is because I love Jason Mantzoukas and Paul Scheer, and I love how Jason reacts when he thinks something is ridiculous.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

ElCondemn posted:

The only reason I still listen to HDTGM is because I love Jason Mantzoukas and Paul Scheer, and I love how Jason reacts when he thinks something is ridiculous.

His amazement at Trespass is one of my all time favorite moments "He's like 'We need to get out of here!' so dumb dumb from My Girls goes upstairs, takes her clothes off, smokes crack, and starts trying on clothes from the closet. I'm like: WHAT THE gently caress IS HAPPENING!?" He sounds genuinely upset.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

synertia posted:

His amazement at Trespass is one of my all time favorite moments "He's like 'We need to get out of here!' so dumb dumb from My Girls goes upstairs, takes her clothes off, smokes crack, and starts trying on clothes from the closet. I'm like: WHAT THE gently caress IS HAPPENING!?" He sounds genuinely upset.

The few times I listen he's the biggest high point to me too. I dig Scheer a lot in general but Mantzoukas' raw bafflement and anger at how stupid the movie is makes me delighted.

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007
It's sort of the inherent problem in any movie review podcast. I'll have to cop to the fact that I also have a bad movies podcast and that I'm guilty of those things myself but the fact is that unless you've seen the movie before, you can't know for a fact what it will contain and some movies that look ridiculous end up just being boring and aren't much fun to talk about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

I've been so busy lately I haven't had time to record new episodes. Some of my listeners suggested they never go to the blog so they don't hear the extra stuff I post that doesn't go to iTunes. So I started posting the extra stuff.

Here's a wonderful 4 minute story entitled: My Brother is My Babies Daddy.

• Locked thread