Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

Just start with the second season of TGUS. The only good thing to come out of the first season was Alaska special.
Yeah the first was pretty rough, although looking at the episode list it wasn't as bad as I remembered I guess. The challenge ones (3, 5, 9) were the best ones, probably cause the shorter format makes it seem too short when they try tacking on a separate car review or two on top of that and the celebrity crap. Otherwise there's some decent stuff scattered here and there.

S2 was mixed too but overall better just cause they seemed to get a working formula down more or less and seemed better chemistry wise. S3 is pretty much a continuation of that refinement I guess.

There's also a lot of ideas taken from the original (albeit not always identical) so if that type of stuff bugs you then you might get into frothy rage about it not being entirely original (as opposed to being mad because it's different :v:).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

The trouble I have with TGUS is they don't show very many cool, high end cars. On a single given episode of TGUK, you can get the Z4 M, the Boxster S, a Koenigsegg, a Mercedes and another Porsche. In TGUS, you get some crappy cars they bought for a couple grand and destroy over the course of an hour. The coolest car they've had this season was the Corvette cop car, and they just did a single race of that. I guess I mostly want pseudo-reviews of kickass cars, not kar komedy.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Ok? Well I want cool challenges. I don't really trust TGUS to review high end cars. Only Tanner can really drive them, Rutledge is probably the only one who knows anything about them, and Adam would just say "IT'S SO FAST!" I trust TGUK to do super cars, because they know super cars. I trust TGUS to do lovely car challenges, because they seem to know about the cars they pick.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Yeah I don't mind them not showing fast, expensive cars. TGUK does that fine already, and besides, there are a hundred other places I can watch people hoon cars I'll never afford.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I agree with whoever thinks they are better at doing the road trips then the studio/siarpc/news segments and should just keep experimenting until they find the right balance. They definitely are playing off and ripping each other much more effectively like "good friends" - should although IRL they prob see each other only for tapings.

They need to do a challenge (maybe they have already) where Adam/Rut have new supercars and Tanner has a 10 year old M3/911 and still wipes the floor with them on a track or something. I have no idea of the value of it, I just want to see it.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

CornHolio posted:

Yeah I don't mind them not showing fast, expensive cars. TGUK does that fine already, and besides, there are a hundred other places I can watch people hoon cars I'll never afford.

Same here. I'd much rather see reviews of cars that I could potentially afford. Seeing endless variations of the (more or less) same Lambo gets boring (to me, at least.)

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I know the TGUK challenges are no more 'real' than the TGUS ones but the uk hosts are just such better actors than the us ones or something because the us challenges just feel so fake and pointless. The reviews are also much more marketing-toady. I'll keep watching it because I have nothing better to do, but I won't like it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Keyser S0ze posted:

I agree with whoever thinks they are better at doing the road trips then the studio/siarpc/news segments and should just keep experimenting until they find the right balance. They definitely are playing off and ripping each other much more effectively like "good friends" - should although IRL they prob see each other only for tapings.

They need to do a challenge (maybe they have already) where Adam/Rut have new supercars and Tanner has a 10 year old M3/911 and still wipes the floor with them on a track or something. I have no idea of the value of it, I just want to see it.
I remember some podcast interview where Tanner was talking about Rut being a great wingman so I guess they hang out at least a bit outside. On the other hand they all do a bunch of other separate work other than the show. And yeah they should do some challenges with ridiculous handicaps for Tanner. They sort of did it with the blind drift challenge I guess...and he still won :psyduck:

ZippySLC posted:

Same here. I'd much rather see reviews of cars that I could potentially afford. Seeing endless variations of the (more or less) same Lambo gets boring (to me, at least.)
Yeah I actually miss that from the UK show, a lot of the good episodes/segments are when they mess around with regular cars.

Froderick
Aug 15, 2007

You don't box in a vet.
The specials/challenges on TGUK are the only things that I keep going back and watching over and over. I like the supercar reviews but skip through them to get to the challenges after I've seen it a couple times. If TGUS sticks to doing nothing but challenges and a loser battle at the end, I'll keep watching. Besides, after seeing some variant of the 911 reviewed for the 50th time it gets pretty irritating. Ugh, May and Hammond both drone on about those drat things forever.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
I love seeing outrageous supercars; news and reviews of awesome cars I may never be able to afford but still want to drool over and dream about make a nice intermission to the challenges which are amusing but I want to watch Top Gear, not an hour-long car-themed reality show. There's a very fine line there.

I can do without the interviews, though. Especially TGUK, where I've never heard of 90% of the guests before.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post
I really do think that Rut and Adam should start spending time at driving school. They don't need to be as good as Tanner, but it'd be nice to see them hold their own like Clarkson, May, and Hammond do on the track.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

ZippySLC posted:

I really do think that Rut and Adam should start spending time at driving school. They don't need to be as good as Tanner, but it'd be nice to see them hold their own like Clarkson, May, and Hammond do on the track.
It's all an act, it's all hollywood. They're never going to be as good as a professional driver like Tanner, but more importantly, it's out of their character to be a second Stig. Kinda like James May actually had faster times at Silverstone than Hammond or Clarkson and is clearly skilled, but his character is supposed to be a slow driver so you thus always see him driving slow.

Simply being on the show will teach them driving skills. I bet we see their skills improve over the next few seasons, whether they're scripted to become better drivers or not.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yes, James is "captain slow" but the point is that everyone on TGUK knows how to drive cars. I didn't see the earlier seasons, so I don't know how Hammond and May (once he joined) got on in the beginning. But these are guys who can drive cars and can race the stig if they have proper cars. Right now Tanner shows off his driving skills every episode, Rut seems like he knows what's going on and Adam clearly can't do anything besides drive normally.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
Well, Adam CAN do a mean burnout in an m5...

http://yfrog.com/0dwlhiz

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Finally got around to watching the new TGUS episodes, the format of the episodes is a definite step in the right direction. Just having all 3 of them together for the majority of the episode builds the dynamic of the hosts relationship and how we see it so much better.

Would have been kind of cool if they would have been able to get one of those Carbon Motors E7 police cars instead of the Caprice, but I guess it makes more sense to have just the big 3.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

neckbeard posted:

Finally got around to watching the new TGUS episodes, the format of the episodes is a definite step in the right direction. Just having all 3 of them together for the majority of the episode builds the dynamic of the hosts relationship and how we see it so much better.

Would have been kind of cool if they would have been able to get one of those Carbon Motors E7 police cars instead of the Caprice, but I guess it makes more sense to have just the big 3.

does an actual E7 exist yet? It took them over 4 years to build a model they could push around to car shows.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Powershift posted:

does an actual E7 exist yet? It took them over 4 years to build a model they could push around to car shows.

There's prototypes, but that's it. Company was denied a $310 million loan from the government earlier in the year, so they're still trying to raise funds apparently
http://www.govtech.com/technology/Next-Gen-Police-Car-Takes-Shot-from-Uncle-Sam.html
http://www.thestarpress.com/article/20120814/NEWS06/120814009

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I thought there was a separate thread for non-"real" Top Gear? Anyway, is there any news on the upcoming UK season?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

meatpimp posted:

I thought there was a separate thread for non-"real" Top Gear?

I just searched through the entire live portion of AI and saw nothing, so looks like no.

Anyway, I thought tonight's episode was pretty solid. Three very different takes on fuel efficiency. Well, two takes on efficiency and one :stare:

It's awesome because Adam is obviously the Jeremy Clarkson of the group but very different as well. You just know he's going to pick something stupid and American every time. Usually from the seventies if possible. Fuel Efficiency challenge? Ford F350!

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Sep 5, 2012

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

meatpimp posted:

I thought there was a separate thread for non-"real" Top Gear? Anyway, is there any news on the upcoming UK season?
A christmas special in Dec and next series starting January.

in the mean time, I don't mind the USA TG.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Just had the greatest call from my 80 year old mother. She saw the Top Gear Vietnam special on TV last week and loved it. So she went down to the library where they had several of their DVDs and she is now completely a fan.

She loves Clarkson and thinks May is a bit of a tool :allears:

MrVynder
Aug 29, 2007

CornHolio posted:

It's awesome because Adam is obviously the Jeremy Clarkson of the group but very different as well.

I'd love Adam a lot more if had a British accent instead of his Queens drawl (maybe that's just me). Need to catch up on the latest episodes though, haven't seen one since they drove into the swamp in tiny cars. Incidentally, this season is already better than the previous two (they finally seem to have chemistry).

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I would've considered Adam's pick cause it was a range challenge rather than efficiency, just get something with a huge gas tank.

Oh and was this the first "Stig's [location] cousin" of the US series?

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

japtor posted:

I think so. Probably the truck's owner. Too buff to be Tanner again.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Whoever did the sound on this episode needs to never work on a car-related show again.

The bifuel F-350 runs the 6.2L gas V8, yet they dubbed in diesel sounds (which really sounded like an I6 semi engine, not a V8 Powerstroke) all over it.

It shouldn't bug me this much, but holy crap it does.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post
Yeah. Not a good episode, I think.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
Words cannot describe how disappointed I was that one of them (I would have guessed Rutledge) didn't pull a Smokey Yunick and fit a 2" fuel line to their "stock" car to increase fuel capacity.

If ya' ain't cheatin', ya' ain't tryin' :clint:

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

japtor posted:

I would've considered Adam's pick cause it was a range challenge rather than efficiency, just get something with a huge gas tank.

I actually had Adam picked to win, just for that reason. I was really surprised when he ran out at the finish ish line, seemed almost too convenient. It was still an entertaining episode though, the shots of the end race were amazing.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

I can't say I wasn't surprised by Tanner's... charts, but it fits him perfectly. The rabbit hole doesn't seem to have an end for him.

Also, the costal highway through Northern California and Oregon is freaking amazing and everyone needs to drive it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I grew up there. It was all I could do to keep from buying a plane ticket.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post
Not for nothing, but the episode aired. There's no need for spoiler tags.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I was really expecting a diesel when I saw Tanner show up in the 528i. Looked it up and it appears you can only get them in SUVs now. Stupid.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

opengl128 posted:

I was really expecting a diesel when I saw Tanner show up in the 528i. Looked it up and it appears you can only get them in SUVs now. Stupid.

I was really expecting a diesel when Adam showed up. Last summer some friends and I went 750 miles without refueling in a 2005 Ram 3500 diesel, and the fuel tanks on the new ones are bigger, over 50 gallons.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

opengl128 posted:

For some reason BMW only put the diesel in the 3 series and the X5 for the US market. When the 3 got bumped to the new F30 platform last year it lost the diesel temporarily, though it's supposedly coming back next year and bringing along a four cylinder counterpart. If we're lucky those engines will spread across the lineup.

neckbeard posted:

I was really expecting a diesel when Adam showed up. Last summer some friends and I went 750 miles without refueling in a 2005 Ram 3500 diesel, and the fuel tanks on the new ones are bigger, over 50 gallons.

Agreed. The LWB diesels have a 37.5 gallon tank, so he only would have needed to average 20 MPG to make it. That's nothing for an unladen diesel truck as long as you're not hammering the piss out of it.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
I just watched TGUK season five episode six. I miss episodes like this.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Season 7 ep 3 is my all time favorite.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Just watched the first episode and that was alot of fun. Seeing the Taurus interceptor was awesome, as I've been reading about it for a while and wanted to see one driven hard.

The Caprice looked terribly boring, I thought that thing was significantly faster in its Holden version.

_firehawk posted:

As if we have an alternative. Ohh that's right we do. And its called Motorweek.

Motorweek rules, they just tested the new GT500 today and Goss showed off the new threaded oil funnels!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think that one was pretty much the worst of the bunch. The Charger was pretty awesome, but I've seen those before. The Taurus was amazing, plus I'm a Ford guy. Then the Caprice was all "herp derp, I'm a police car." It looked boring, not aggressive like a police car should.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cojawfee posted:

I think that one was pretty much the worst of the bunch. The Charger was pretty awesome, but I've seen those before. The Taurus was amazing, plus I'm a Ford guy. Then the Caprice was all "herp derp, I'm a police car." It looked boring, not aggressive like a police car should.

Why should a police car look aggressive?

I'd prefer police officers (and their vehicles) to be friendly and curteous, but firm and decisive. Not aggressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004

Sir Tonk posted:

The Caprice looked terribly boring, I thought that thing was significantly faster in its Holden version.

14.something sounds about right for the car. The L76 equipped G8 only runs the quarter in 13.7 - 13.8 seconds. And the caprice is based off the longer wheel base platform. So with the added weight and 6 less hp (they added 2 more cats) I would say that's spot on.