Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Southpaw Wusky
Oct 23, 2010

Himuro posted:

You can do that? I didn't see any option for it.

I forgot how to do it on the keyboard but on the 360 version it's D-pad down then triangle at an open space to call in a supply/travel helicopter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

VirtualStranger posted:

Until game developers are technologically capable of filling every lats bit of map space with interesting, unique content, space compression will be an absolute necessity for an open-world game map to remain fun to navigate.

Look at Skyrim, Everyone always remarks how huge and detailed and engrossing the map is, when in reality the physical space that the map occupies is smaller than a real-life small town.

San Andreas literally compressed the entire American Southwest into several square miles.

Sure, but what makes Skyrim get away with it is the fact that there is something always happening. You explore a random forest trail and come across a talking dog, or a dragon appears, or you find a Daedric quest. In games like Just Cause 2, you mostly just have land and more land.

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS

Himuro posted:

You can do that? I didn't see any option for it.

It's unlocked after you do several missions, so you might not have made it far enough in the game.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
The actual missions in JC2 were super boring and repetitive to the max, but it is a blast to just run around loving off in that game.
This thread got me to fire GTA:SA back up, and it runs fairly well on my super crappy laptop so I think i'm going to play through the whole game again while I wait for my new power supply.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
I've never really been able to enjoy Just Cause 2 because of how mediocre the non-sandbox elements are; i.e. the combat, missions, and so on. The loving around parts are fun, but I can only play that so much before it gets boring. San Andreas has a great sandbox that's bolstered by a wonderful modding community on PC, while having great "game" content.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Cephalectomy posted:

The actual missions in JC2 were super boring and repetitive to the max, but it is a blast to just run around loving off in that game.

Really? I thought most missions were standard GTA fare, but a few were awesome, especially the Hantu Island one.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
As far as maps are concerned I suspect that JCII isn't as good a comparison as the Saboteur is, one huge city surrounded by countryside with some BS reason to explain not being allowed out of your designated playing area.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Is the ENB series mod the best way to get San Andreas looking a little nicer?

Edit: Am I being really dumb? I've downloaded SAAC 1.2 but it doesn't bring up any kind of configuration menu when I run it? I've tried pasting in some presets for the 360 controller that I found on a GTA website, but it doesn't seem to have any effect in-game. Am I just an idiot or do I need to do something else to get it configured and running with the Steam version of GTA SA?

Edit: had to downgrade my version of SA and download some .dll files and all is now well for SAAC!

I'm trying to get SAAC running as well, can you detail the steps you took to get it to work? I have Windows 7 x64 and the 1.01 SA executable. I also have SAAC in a separate folder, but when I run it and then run SA I still get no response from the 360 controller right stick and triggers.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Install Gentoo posted:

The V map could easily be as large as that one ridiculous fake map on current hardware. The thing is in order to fit on current game media for the PS3 and 360, you'd end up with a map that had a lot of bland or underdetailed stuff even though it happened to be huge.
I'd like a map that loving huge. The problem with detailing such a map isn't just game media, but also developer resources. On the other hand, they could reduce their workload by using procedural generation. It isn't impossible, as Esri's City Engine proves. A simplified solution similar to this might suffice, so that developers can focus on landmark stuff.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
All this talk of giant maps reminds me of that game 'Fuel', and how it had a giant map that was 99% boring terrain. Yes it was huge, but was utterly utterly worthless.

While SA had a pretty big map, there was always at least something there. Even out in the desert.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

odark thirty posted:

I'm trying to get SAAC running as well, can you detail the steps you took to get it to work? I have Windows 7 x64 and the 1.01 SA executable. I also have SAAC in a separate folder, but when I run it and then run SA I still get no response from the 360 controller right stick and triggers.
same here. Also I'd like to have the game looking pretty but failing that, how do we get it looking not so dark??

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011

the truth posted:

Really? I thought most missions were standard GTA fare, but a few were awesome, especially the Hantu Island one.

Was that the mission where you fly towards the giant Tesla coil tower, get blasted out of the sky by a sudden lightning storm, land on the island and have to make your way up the tower fighting a bunch of old WWII vets who think the war is still going on?

Because I remember that mission vividly, but not the least bit of context for it.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Truman Sticks posted:

Was that the mission where you fly towards the giant Tesla coil tower, get blasted out of the sky by a sudden lightning storm, land on the island and have to make your way up the tower fighting a bunch of old WWII vets who think the war is still going on?

Because I remember that mission vividly, but not the least bit of context for it.

I think so, also the island featured the LOST hatch and the 'pebbles in the sand' spelling HELP (I think, or SOS). Devs obviously lost fan boys.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'd like a map that loving huge. The problem with detailing such a map isn't just game media, but also developer resources. On the other hand, they could reduce their workload by using procedural generation. It isn't impossible, as Esri's City Engine proves. A simplified solution similar to this might suffice, so that developers can focus on landmark stuff.

Well, I have faith that Rockstar could create such a map in full derail. The problem would be fitting all the content, and assets, and such that you'd need to make every part of the map feel worthwhile. It all adds up to a ton of space, because it'd be pretty worthless if you have say 10 cities; but 8 of them only have one or two missions each and also the texturing and such is wholesale repeated from another city. So you'd have to really flesh all of them out, and even the wilderness areas.

You'd definitely not fit it all on an Xbox 360 DVD. You'd probably have trouble fitting it all on a PS3 Blu-Ray disc even. The only system that wouldn't have a problem would be the PC, since PC games can rely on coming on multiple discs AND being installed, including having compressed stuff extracted for fast loading during gameplay.

Again, we're talking about this fake map:

What that map has is at least 10 or 11 times the area of GTA IV's Liberty City in the major cities alone. As in, there's like 8 Liberty City in IV sized cities/city areas and then Los Santos which is the size of 3 more. And then you have all the minor cities, and the wilderness areas. Now, on my 360 GTA IV takes up 6.6 GB, and the episodes in DLC form each take up 1.8 GB or so.

Going off that, I make a rough guesstimate that the missions and maps and related content of Liberty City itself take up about 4 GB from the main game on 360. So multiply that by 11 to cover content for the main cities in the fake map: 44 GB which is 6 GB short of the PS3 limit. Then add in another 16 GB or so to cover the rest of the map area and all the other stuff that isn't tied to the maps and missions; like the game engine and radio and tv channels: you get to around 60 GB at least, and that would make this an 8 disc 360 game and 2 disc PS3 game.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think you'd have trouble convincing people to download 60 gigs worth of game from Steam. We're at about 7 gigs for a regular sized game, 14 for a giant game. Quadrupling that would be insane.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Insanely awesome? Yes.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

I think you'd have trouble convincing people to download 60 gigs worth of game from Steam. We're at about 7 gigs for a regular sized game, 14 for a giant game. Quadrupling that would be insane.

Rockstar already double-downed on that with Max Payne 3.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Truman Sticks posted:

That's the one, and, like the rest of the game, there wasn't much context. It's too bad there weren't more missions there.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cojawfee posted:

I'd download the hell out of that game were it to actually be made. It would probably be much more than 60 GB on PC though, GTA IV on Steam is 15.4 GB already versus 6 GB on 360.

But I'd be happy to sit and let Steam download like 200 GB to have that game in full detail and all that crap it'd be the greatest GTA ever.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Gameplay wise, it's complete non-sense to have a map that mongo huge. It's the explorer in me that wants it. That said, such a game is still more suited towards another franchise, a la TDU. Still convinced that procedural generation is the way to fill unremarkable areas of the map.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
That map is god-awful. "Tituana"? That's Saint's Row-level humor right there. And Dade County? They use a real county name for Vice City, a fake city? And it's in New Mexico now? Some people just don't understand how to put fanboyism to the side and make a damned fake map to a gay game for gay babies.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think Vice City might have mentioned Dade county at one point.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Christ Rockstar release some new screenshots or something, please. Look at what this thread is reduced to, still discussing that terrible old fake map. Not even Rockstar has the time and budget to make that map with a GTAIV level of detail, it's just completely ludicrous.

Apr 4, 2004

by T. Finninho
So I've actually been giving a serious IV single player run for the first time. The cutscenes are alot better than I remember. I am pretty sure I am closing in on the end game and am thinking about picking up one of the expansions. Gay Tony seems the way to go, simply because I despise the motorcycles in IV. Unless Lost and Damned has better bike mechanics???

Do either of the expansion games standout as a clear and better option? Also, do they introduce any new weapons in either of the games?

Alberto Basalm
Nov 14, 2005

56k posted:

So I've actually been giving a serious IV single player run for the first time. The cutscenes are alot better than I remember. I am pretty sure I am closing in on the end game and am thinking about picking up one of the expansions. Gay Tony seems the way to go, simply because I despise the motorcycles in IV. Unless Lost and Damned has better bike mechanics???

Do either of the expansion games standout as a clear and better option? Also, do they introduce any new weapons in either of the games?

Lost and Damned does indeed have better, easier (IMO) bike mechanics, like better handling and more resistance to flying off the bike on impact. I really like both DLCs, but if you had to pick one I would pick Gay Tony - it's a lot more out of control and fun. It feels a lot like a GTA game in a way GTA4 and Lost and Damned didn't for me.

edit: what is with the swastika on the fake map? Is it a remnant of when the Germans stormed Santiago and captured a nuclear power plant?

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

56k posted:

Both of the expansions add new weapons and vehicles to the game, it has been a long time since playing them both but I remember Gay tony having alot crazier missions than L&D.

However both characters and expansions were pretty good I enjoyed playing through both. I don't think the bikes handled any differently so if you have to choose one go with gay tony

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

They better bring back jetpacks.

Cojawfee posted:

I like that Daggerfall had the largest map and contained all of the Elder Scrolls lands, except it was mostly featureless.

Daggerfall only had two countries. Hammerfell and High Rock. The area was about the size of England if I remember correctly a fast travel map came up if you traveled far enough outside of towns in Arena so there wasn't as much landscape.

Daggerfall did have some pretty neat features like separate bounties in different counties, which didn't become a thing again until Skyrim, and having to face a court of law when arrested and being able to possibly get away with your crimes if you had high enough Charisma.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 3, 2012

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008

56k posted:

I'm a pretty huge GTA fanboy and got both expansions on day of release but honestly I've not touched Lost and the Damned since I completed it. The expanded bike mechanics were pretty cool but I disliked most of the characters and the plot was even darker and more depressing than the base game, also they had the villain of the game have all the funniest lines which was just...odd.

Ballad of Gay Tony however was fantastic. It's over the top, hilarious, fun and the closest thing to San Andreas you'll ever get from GTA IV. Luis is a quality main protagonist with an interesting and involving story, his partnership with Gay Tony is pretty awesome and the plotline does way more callbacks to the original game than TLAD did (at least to my recollection). Plus it's got plenty more cool little things to do like getting wasted in the club and waking up in random places, the stranger missions are all pretty hilarious and the added guns make for awesome sandbox play, there isn't a weak new gun from the lot. Also it adds the ability to replay any mission at anytime and has the replay value of a rating system in missions.

Furthermore the soundtrack additions are solid and the way they capture the nightlife in some missions is awesome.

If you can't tell already, if you have to pick then I'd get TBOGT, but honestly the "episodes from liberty is so cheap these days you may as well get that, Steam has the entire GTA series for £15 anyway.

Apr 4, 2004

by T. Finninho
I'm on xbox :awesome:

Looks like I will pass on Lost and Damned. I know I could just google it, but what are the new weapons in Gay Tony?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Install Gentoo posted:

Well, I have faith that Rockstar could create such a map in full derail. The problem would be fitting all the content, and assets, and such that you'd need to make every part of the map feel worthwhile. It all adds up to a ton of space, because it'd be pretty worthless if you have say 10 cities; but 8 of them only have one or two missions each and also the texturing and such is wholesale repeated from another city. So you'd have to really flesh all of them out, and even the wilderness areas.

You'd definitely not fit it all on an Xbox 360 DVD. You'd probably have trouble fitting it all on a PS3 Blu-Ray disc even. The only system that wouldn't have a problem would be the PC, since PC games can rely on coming on multiple discs AND being installed, including having compressed stuff extracted for fast loading during gameplay.

Again, we're talking about this fake map:

What that map has is at least 10 or 11 times the area of GTA IV's Liberty City in the major cities alone. As in, there's like 8 Liberty City in IV sized cities/city areas and then Los Santos which is the size of 3 more. And then you have all the minor cities, and the wilderness areas. Now, on my 360 GTA IV takes up 6.6 GB, and the episodes in DLC form each take up 1.8 GB or so.

Going off that, I make a rough guesstimate that the missions and maps and related content of Liberty City itself take up about 4 GB from the main game on 360. So multiply that by 11 to cover content for the main cities in the fake map: 44 GB which is 6 GB short of the PS3 limit. Then add in another 16 GB or so to cover the rest of the map area and all the other stuff that isn't tied to the maps and missions; like the game engine and radio and tv channels: you get to around 60 GB at least, and that would make this an 8 disc 360 game and 2 disc PS3 game.

That would really make for a fantastic MMO map though.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

56k posted:

I'm on xbox :awesome:

Looks like I will pass on Lost and Damned. I know I could just google it, but what are the new weapons in Gay Tony?

The explosive shotgun rules, it caves in the side of vehicles in one blast and blows them up in two or three.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Remote mines, good Uzis and exploding shell auto shotguns, to name a few. In my opinion, the Gay Tony guns are better than the vanilla ones by a mile.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
Plus Gay Tony has Yusuf "Arab money, motherbitches!" Amir.

Yusuf is an awesome dude.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Gameplay wise, it's complete non-sense to have a map that mongo huge. It's the explorer in me that wants it. That said, such a game is still more suited towards another franchise, a la TDU. Still convinced that procedural generation is the way to fill unremarkable areas of the map.

Would a procedurally generated map allow for not only infinite sized map, but each and every client and each and every replay allow for a unique map?

That'll probably never happen. :(

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Completely procedural content would look pretty poo poo. If you're using it in a more controlled manner, say by creating a road network by hand and just filling sections with procedural content with specific parameters, while also mixing hand crafted content in, then you might be getting somewhere.

If you had some lone road in the desert and a decent procedural algorithms that can output a variety of old wooden barns, you could tell it to populate a well defined stretch, instead of modelling each one, and they'd also not look all the same.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Alberto Basalm posted:

edit: what is with the swastika on the fake map? Is it a remnant of when the Germans stormed Santiago and captured a nuclear power plant?

Looking close it seems to not actually be a landmark but instead a marker, like the cactuses and fire warnings. It seems to say "Underground Bunker" so probably crazy white supremest survivalists.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Cliff Racer posted:

Looking close it seems to not actually be a landmark but instead a marker, like the cactuses and fire warnings. It seems to say "Underground Bunker" so probably crazy white supremest survivalists.

Yeah I just assumed it was a map marker to say "there's a compound of crazy Nazi survivalists here". In the same way that there's an alien head over near Area 51.

And I'm not gunna lie, I would play the *poo poo* out of an enormous game like that. I wouldn't even care if it had a 100 hour campaign with repetitive missions. I remember thinking that they topped Vice City by doing a whole state, so if they were going to top San Andreas they clearly needed to do a whole country :downs:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Grand Theft Auto 9 models two entire planets. Complete with real time 9 month journey between each one. Make sure you finish all the missions on Earth before you head off to Mars. Turning off the console at any time during the 9 month travel will count as life support failing and your character will die.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I have seen the future of GTA and it is Desert Bus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

DrVenkman posted:

All this talk of giant maps reminds me of that game 'Fuel', and how it had a giant map that was 99% boring terrain. Yes it was huge, but was utterly utterly worthless.

While SA had a pretty big map, there was always at least something there. Even out in the desert.

I remember getting Fuel, seeing the map, and wishing someone would put an actual game into it sometime. That never happened.

• Locked thread