Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Picked it off the ground because the guys doing repavement at my apartment complex were overzealous and went farther than they were suppose to, dropping my bike after trying to move it out of the way, and destroying my gear shifter and shift linkage. Fuckers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smile
Dec 16, 2005
To my girlfriend's chinese scooter: chained the gently caress out of it because it became possessed by the devil.

About 11:30 last night, I was lying in bed reading when I suddenly heard the sound of her scooter turning over. Figuring someone was stealing it I grabbed the handgun and ran outside to investigate, only nobody was there.

I figured the thief ran off or something, so I went to grab her u-lock from where it was hanging on the fence. Halfway to the fence, the drat scooter motor started turning over again, scaring the poo poo out of me. As soon as I walked up to it and grabbed the handlebars it stopped. I chained it up real well so just in case it comes alive again it can't go anywhere.

I assume this is somehow related to some kind of remote start thing? I hear some Chinese scooters have that.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Smile posted:

About 11:30 last night, I was lying in bed reading when I suddenly heard the sound of her scooter turning over. Figuring someone was stealing it I grabbed the handgun and ran outside to investigate, only nobody was there.

So you were planning on shooting someone for stealing a chinese scooter?

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010

Smile posted:

I assume this is somehow related to some kind of remote start thing? I hear some Chinese scooters have that.

Nope, you need to get that handgun back out and kill that demonic POS before it murders you and your girlfriend like a scene from a cheap horror movie.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

If you don't want to hire a priest for an exorcism, there's probably an iOS app that does exorcisms for you. :v:

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.

Smile posted:

To my girlfriend's chinese scooter: chained the gently caress out of it because it became possessed by the devil.

If it does it should be easy to remove.. If I remember correctly all I had to do was unbolt the control box and unplug the harness going to it.. Scooter worked as normal after that and no more phantom starts or alarm chirps.

All I did to my bike was flip it the bird after the speedometer cable ejected from the bike after hitting a bump on the ride to work...

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Smile posted:

I figured the thief ran off or something, so I went to grab her u-lock from where it was hanging on the fence. Halfway to the fence, the drat scooter motor started turning over again, scaring the poo poo out of me. As soon as I walked up to it and grabbed the handlebars it stopped. I chained it up real well so just in case it comes alive again it can't go anywhere.

Chinese scooters are notorious for this. Once you finish riding, they want to go again an hour later.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Tamir Lenk posted:

Chinese scooters are notorious for this. Once you finish riding, they want to go again an hour later.

I had a similar problem with my Chinese scooter. It wouldn't phantom start, but after I arrived somewhere it wouldn't turn off! I could turn the key off and remove it and it would just sit there idling. Then a buddy showed me it would shut off if I hit the "lock" button on the remote. I felt stupid.

Edit: More Content

Last night I lubed my chain with Yamalube chain lube. gently caress that stuff. It had all night to dry, and when I took a ride this afternoon it still made a mess all over my cleanish white wheels. Fifteen minutes of paper towel and WD-40 got it all cleaned up but still, I like to keep my wheels cleanish and that poo poo won't cut it. Back to Maxima Chain Wax I go despite costing 2x as much.

LOOK WHAT YOU DID TO MY NICE WHITE WHEELS YOU rear end in a top hat!

SB35 fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 29, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I had to sweep out the garage, which meant moving a few bikes

I'm not looking forward to cleaning the cobwebs off the ceiling. I have to move a few more bikes to do that.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

mad tyte camber on the truck there dude

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Not much, but I bought one of those cable-luber tools from the local cyclegear and lubed both of my cables since my throttle had an amusing habit of sticking open when it's out in the sun for a while.

I can't get over the feeling of accomplishment that I get from doing any type of mechanical work, whether it's my car or my bike. Almost more than riding the thing in the twisties.

I'm moving this weekend, but once I'm settled I will start procuring the tools necessary for my first Valve-lash job on the Ninja 250. I have a set of feelers back in TX, but I've seen some people use longer ones that allow easier access to the cramped head on this bike.

Anyone know where I can find these special feeler gauges? eBay didn't come up with anything. I'm also going to order a shim kit and the repair manual for my bike.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
One Honda for each time the word "Honda" was used in the Beach Boys song.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Sagebrush posted:

mad tyte camber on the truck there dude

it's a combination of using a wide angle lens and that being a low spot in my driveway.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Maybe one day one of them will run.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

Schlieren posted:

If it's metric and says 8.8 (or greater) on it, you're fine with the Home Depot bolt. If it's SAE and has 3 hash marks on the head (or more), you're fine with it that way too.

Your nuts if metric should be class 8 or better (sometimes labeled on the edge or on the flats, sometimes not)(if not, the bag will have a label), and if SAE, grade 5 or better (if they have two hash marks on the edge of them, in any configuration, they're fine).

If the above criteria are met, you don't have to worry about a "stock match". Threads don't have to match stock, because the threads on the bolt are for the nut you're using. If it's snug in the foot peg, it's fine.

I checked the spare (bought two lengths) and it's got 8.8 and pacman on the head so I think I'm okay. I need to get a proper bolt though, I need one that's 65mm long and home depot only carries 60 or 70. I'm going to stop by Tacoma Screw later this week as I'm told they carry everything.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

nsaP posted:

I'm holding the "freshly running Goldwing" token right now. So it can be done. GnarlyCharlie4u can have it back when I get mine registered.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

nsaP posted:

This is the first thing I said when he posted that.

:v:"So how many of those run?"
:clint:"1. Well, 3. But only one is rideable."

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

nsaP posted:

At this rate, it's not likely.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Ashex posted:

I checked the spare (bought two lengths) and it's got 8.8 and pacman on the head so I think I'm okay. I need to get a proper bolt though, I need one that's 65mm long and home depot only carries 60 or 70. I'm going to stop by Tacoma Screw later this week as I'm told they carry everything.

Tacoma Screw, Valley Nut and Bolt (in Olympia) or High Strength Bolt (in Lakewood and Kent) ought to have what you need. Some Ace Hardware shops have decent selection and won't hassle you about purchasing package quantity, same with McLendon's.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
So far, to my 636:

ProGrip center tank pad
TechSpec C3 side tank pads

My 636 is now riding better, the TechSpec pads are awesome and take away vibration and provide nice cushioning for my legs, and I can grip and better my ergonomics. Turning experience is substantially better, no more sliding around. My first time with those sorts of tank pads. Should've gotten 'em a long time ago for other bikes.

And I just snagged an used Corbin seat for only $40 on eBay! It has some damage, but nothing substantial. Definitely not thinking that $250 is worth paying out for a new seat, especially on a city streetfighter bike.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

the walkin dude posted:

So far, to my 636:

ProGrip center tank pad
TechSpec C3 side tank pads

My 636 is now riding better, the TechSpec pads are awesome and take away vibration and provide nice cushioning for my legs, and I can grip and better my ergonomics. Turning experience is substantially better, no more sliding around. My first time with those sorts of tank pads. Should've gotten 'em a long time ago for other bikes.

And I just snagged an used Corbin seat for only $40 on eBay! It has some damage, but nothing substantial. Definitely not thinking that $250 is worth paying out for a new seat, especially on a city streetfighter bike.

Techspecs are like the most bang for the money addition ever. Love 'em.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Two days ago I got a flat at work. Pulled the tire in the parking lot, patched the tube, and it wouldn't take air. Nobody has an 18" 150/70 tube except the KTM dealer, so I had to wait until the next day. Drove the new tube back up to the bike, pulled the tire off AGAIN, changed the tube out, and trucked it home. The next day was my first time ripping the plastics off my 990. I did an oil change, mounted a second radiator fan, cleaned out some old mud, dropped screws down into the bowels of the vehicle several times, failed to reconnect the high pressure fuel line all the way about 3 times, had a gas tank fall over and dump a couple gallons inside the garage, almost broke an electrical connector 3 or 4 times, removed my brake calipers to route the lines outside of the forks now that I have a high fender installed, and threw a brake reservoir cover on the back because why not.

Despite my best efforts, she runs again!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Bazacko and I started working on the front end swap for my Hawk. Spent waaay too much time on my feet, but it felt great to DO SOMETHING after weeks of bed rest.

Pulled the tank, wheel, gauges, and started working on the tangled mess that is the headlight bucket.

Got some weird fuel pump issues- since the crash, when I turn the bike on the fuel pump keeps running. Very loudly, sounds like a giant mosquito.

My leg is loving killing me, but we hope to get the new front end mounted tomorrow.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Welded some more strut onto my ammo can mounts so they don't sway at the bottom. The ammo cans were beginning to deform. This could possibly have been a problem in a year or so. My measurement turned out funny, so the brace is off by about 1/4", making it a bit skewed, but it works, so w/e. The brace ended up in front of the license plate, so holes drilled and now the plate is mounted to the brace.

Now I need some more washers and some paint.

After that, I rode out into the desert to get some firewood. Stuck to the frame in sand again. I will eventually figure out this is not a D/S or enduro, or I will just get strong enough to carry the stupid thing out.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Well, Sunday anyway: passed my full M road test! :D Was so exhausted after a full day on the bike, I didn't even know what to do with myself when I got home.

Went out to see my folks today for lunch, and brought back the remaining bits of the Honda. Time to sell it off.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
I've posted about my Goldwing for years in this thread. I finally got it put back together and got the engine mostly cleaned out with an oil flush (10w40 + Marvel Mystery oil). I rode it 30 miles last night, with half of that on the freeway. Everything worked fine, mostly. Except that parts that didn't.

Basically the transmission is trashed, I think. It sounds like it has rocks in it in 1st, and occasionally in neutral. 4th won't engage at all, though 5th works great. The Goldwing forums are littered with threads advising the importance of carb syncing, but there's no way this is carb related. This is the sound of a shaft spinning in a worn out bearing.

Here's an example of what it sounds like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHxYvWINdNg

We're at the end of the road for this bad boy. I'm not loving around with it any more, I just don't have time. It runs fine, so I'll ride it around until it seizes or shits its guts all over the road, then sell it for parts.

[edit]
I just found this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsYSwpmfCAg

This guy's problem sounds similar to mine, but less advanced. gently caress, if you didn't have to split the case to touch the transmission, I'd do it. But splitting the case costs more in consumable parts than a new engine costs on ebay. Goddammnit.

AnnoyBot fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Sep 4, 2012

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm not looking forward to cleaning the cobwebs off the ceiling. I have to move a few more bikes to do that.

that's the life right there

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

AnnoyBot posted:

I've posted about my Goldwing for years in this thread. I finally got it put back together and got the engine mostly cleaned out with an oil flush (10w40 + Marvel Mystery oil). I rode it 30 miles last night, with half of that on the freeway. Everything worked fine, mostly. Except that parts that didn't.

Basically the transmission is trashed, I think. It sounds like it has rocks in it in 1st, and occasionally in neutral. 4th won't engage at all, though 5th works great. The Goldwing forums are littered with threads advising the importance of carb syncing, but there's no way this is carb related. This is the sound of a shaft spinning in a worn out bearing.

Here's an example of what it sounds like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHxYvWINdNg

You have it in neutral in the video. The mainshaft should be spinning, and the countershaft should not be spinning. Is this the same noise you hear when it is in gear?

Does the same noise happen in first gear with the clutch in?

My personal guess is that the shift forks are bent, and this allows the gears to bump into each other and cause this noise. Your noise does not sound like bearing noise to me.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

Giblet Plus! posted:

You have it in neutral in the video. The mainshaft should be spinning, and the countershaft should not be spinning. Is this the same noise you hear when it is in gear?

Does the same noise happen in first gear with the clutch in?

My personal guess is that the shift forks are bent, and this allows the gears to bump into each other and cause this noise. Your noise does not sound like bearing noise to me.

Yes, first gear makes a noise like this. If I pull the clutch and put it in first gear, the noise goes away for as long as the clutch is pulled.

Given that 4th does not engage, I think bent forks is pretty likely. I suppose I'd rather have that be the problem than bearings.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I just got a job as a motorcycle mechanic and I am super stoked.

Today I helped rebuild the engine on a DRZ, and change the oil and fix a wiring problem on an R6.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Sell all your bikes that you were planning on working on because you will never work on anything of your own ever again.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
The shoemaker's sons go shoeless.

It's not guaranteed, though. If the job stays fun, the hobby stays fun. The more you learn at the job, the less time/work it takes to get things done at home.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Today I helped rebuild the engine on a DRZ, and change the oil and fix a wiring problem on an R6.

Congrats man. I am envious - I wish I'd followed in my fathers footsteps instead of all these stupid computers. :)

Careful though - lots of my relatives are mechanics, and all of them have hosed themselves up physically doing it, in a permanent way. Mostly backs, IIRC.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Awesome, congratulations! What kind of shop is it?

Content-ish:

Rode the Goldwing to work, a 70 mile round trip. It ran like a champ. Picked up my dad's polisher on the way home to clean up the windshield, which is a starbursting disaster right now any time you need to ride into direct light.

Lane splitting on a full dress 'wing is fun. It's not really wider than my BMW, but it's wide in more places.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Hey so uh, that's the best tank I've ever seen.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
Had the carbs off again today for what had loving well better be the last goddamned time. I am at my wits' end trying to track down a lazy/creeping idle when hot, and I've cleaned, rebuilt and balanced the carbs already and verified there are no leaks.

I've been concentrating on the throttle cables recently, and I found out last night they're routed the wrong way, so I fixed that and re-adjusted the free play. Checked the choke cables too but they were all right. While I had the carbs out I also set the float level--turns out it was at least 2mm too high--and backed out the air mix screws just a bit. Also checked out the TPS with a multimeter while I was in there. If anyone tells you a first gen SV650 with carbs doesn't have one, as I read in many threads on many other forums, tell them I said they're full of poo poo.

Anyway, since I made multiple tweaks I am hoping it made some sort of improvement and I'm about to go for a test ride to find out.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SaNChEzZ posted:

Hey so uh, that's the best tank I've ever seen.

There's a post on his blog all about discovering that paint job underneath some lovely rattlecan job, or something. Why would you ever paint over that?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

n8r posted:

Sell all your bikes that you were planning on working on because you will never work on anything of your own ever again.
n8r this is not true and you are a very negative person. You own a Mille R, you should be happy.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

n8r this is not true and you are a very negative person. You own a Mille R, you should be happy.

If you worked at a real motorcycle shop instead of a hipster tight jean'd bro hang out you'd know what I'm talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme

Alceste posted:

lazy/creeping idle when hot

It's still doing it. gently caress. I'm going to have to take it somewhere and spend a bunch of money to have someone else fix it. I'm done.

On the bright side, it does seem to pull a little harder and it took much less time and less choke to warm up. I also had to adjust the idle speed down for some reason. I wonder if the mileage will improve, because it hasn't been great (42 mpg).