Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Internet Explorer posted:

The one I was originally looking at is waterproof, but while I have heard good things about that company I don't want to pay through a Paypal account or Western Union. We'll see.

Going through the glass shouldn't really add all that much difficulty, less safety, or less accuracy.

[Edit: I mean, if you are doing it at a semi-direct angle it really shouldn't be direct reflecting off the glass.]

Don't forget about refraction, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U.S. Barryl
Apr 16, 2003
I got word through a local petco employee that they will be doing their dollar/gallon sale soon, but he didn't know exactly when. I'll be calling them once a week until I find out. But, in light of this information, I'm finally considering getting started on a reef. I was considering a 40 gallon breeder as a display with a 20 gallon sump. The problem is that I'm inept at crafting things. I've watched a couple videos on how to build a sump, and that doesn't seem too hard. I'm trying to do this as inexpensive as possible. Does anybody with a little time on their hands have suggestions to equipment and resources available to start this up on the cheap? I'm still in the researching and saving money process, but would like to have this going by Christmas for my daughter (me.) I'm looking to budget less than $800, but I'm saving towards $1500 for just in case poo poo.

Is it worth it to go with the biocube 29 HQI since I hear it is a great starter tank, and I can mod it down the road as I'm more experienced? That seems to be very expensive for what it is, and I'm wondering if I can do cheaper than that by building my own system.

edit: I'm in Central Illinois if that makes any difference as far as suppliers and what-not.

U.S. Barryl fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Aug 28, 2012

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I think a 40g breeder and a 20g sump would be a great way to go. Probably more bang for your buck then a BioCube. Building a sump is fairly easy. You can use acrylic baffles. If you go to Home Depot or Lowes they will even cut them to size for you. Then just use reef-safe silicon and put them in.

On the 20g sump, your only real concern is space. Make sure you can fit a protein skimmer and still have room for a small refrigium.

On the lighting side, you could do 2 PAR38 bulbs like these http://www.rapidled.com/par-bulbs/, and that would be plenty.

What are your plans as far as a stand goes? I saw that you said you were inept at crafting things, but there are degrees of ineptitude and if you want to DIY you can check out this thread http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1169964. I had never really done any woodworking before and the thought of a DIY stand seemed crazy to me, but I am really glad I made my own for my 90g and 40g breeder sump.

I think you can do it for $800, but it is good you are saving a bit more. Once you get started in this hobby it is very hard not to be like "Well, it's only $100. It would make my take so much better / easier / pretty!"

U.S. Barryl
Apr 16, 2003
Can you take a cut list to Lowe's and have them do all the cuts for you? I don't own a saw, but wouldn't mind building that stand if everything was pre-sized and just needed screwed together.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yes, you can. I don't know what their policy is as far as how many different cuts their are allowed to make, etc, but they can definitely make cuts for you. I just rented a chop saw / miter saw and did the 2x4 cuts myself. On the cabinet-grade plywood skin I had them make a few cuts so I could fit it in my car, then did the rest with a circular saw that I borrowed.

The biggest thing is that the 2x4s that are supposed to be the same length, need to be EXACTLY the same length. That is why I would recommend doing those with a chop saw / miter saw instead of a circular saw. Other than that, it's cake. Especially if someone can help you hold stuff along the way.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I love the 40B and I think it is the perfect starter tank size, and a 20gal sump leaves you plenty of room in the stand for other equipment (which is a problem I have--the sump I run is a pre-built ~29g-ish acrylic one I had to buy with no notice whatsoever when my 20g glass one cracked, so there is no room in the stand for anything else, even when I already run my ATO and calcium reactor outside).

U.S. Barryl
Apr 16, 2003

This has to be wrong... I just calculated all the 2x4 sizes for a 40g stand, and according to Lowe's website, all the lumber will come out to less than 10 dollars for the stand. Add in a couple bucks here and there for screws and maybe a paint job, and we're talking a stand for less than 20-25 bucks? If I add doors, I guess it'll be more like 40 bucks. Did I mess up somewhere or is this right?

edit for calculations in case I really am a moron:
code:
Tank Dimensions:
38"W x 18"D x 17"H

Lumber by color code

(2) Red - Upper rails
2x4's of 38"

(2) Yellow - Upper ends
2x4's of 15"

(4) Green - Screw Strips
2x4's of 15"

(8) Purple - Uprights
2x4's of 10"

(2) Orange - Bottom rails
2x4's of 38"

(3) Blue - Bottom ends
2x4's of 15"

U.S. Barryl fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 28, 2012

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I build the framework for my 90g for something around $40. The cabinet grade plywood for the skin was much more expensive, but yeah if you wanted to you could do it for about that.

I suggest reading a lot of that thread, as well as the newbie threads on Reef Central. They are all a great help, and I'd honestly suggest someone read for a good 6 months before even starting their tank. But I like to do a lot of research before I start something, so maybe that's overkill.

My only other suggestion on the stand is to make sure the 2x4s and the inside of the skin are properly waterproofed / mold proofed. I used Killz cause everyone seemed to say that works, but I can tell you that it doesn't work. I have to drain my 40g breeder sump, move it out, and redo the entire inside coat.

[Edit: Just to be super clear, the cost you are looking at it is for the stand FRAME. You could leave it at that, but the entire sump area would be open. I would recommend putting a plywood skin around it and attaching your doors to that, not the 2x4s.]

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
That stand is way overkill for only a 40g too, you could seriously use 1x2s and it would hold up fine. Aquarium hobbyists love to overbuild their stands, I guess it gives them a better sense of security that their tank isn't going to topple over. Admittedly, 2x4s are cheap enough that you might as well build it like a tank while you're at it.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Here's my build thread, I got the stand from Petco when I picked up my tank(s). It was cheap too, like $30 or something on sale.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=289727

And some macro pictures:

Acans:

Monti Cap:

Maxi Mini:

Sunset Monti:

Xenia Bush:

Flame BTA:

Blue Tort with some string on it:

Green Slimer w/ Feeders:

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Love it all Sanchez, Requesting more of the Flame BTA, with clowns if possible :3:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Henchman 21 posted:

Love it all Sanchez, Requesting more of the Flame BTA, with clowns if possible :3:

Ha, I wish the clowns payed attention to it. They live in the hammer/frogspawn nextdoor. The female recently kicked the male out at night, now he sleeps in the hammer and she stays in the frogspawn lol. Domestic dispute I guess :\

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Put in an order with happy Coral, it is nice that I am in their $0 shipping area.

Here's what's on its way

Nucleur Goniastrea

Red Sea Cucumber

A very strange BTA

And a frogspawn. I can't wait :-)

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
I've been out of the reef game for about 5 years now and am looking to start up a new reef now that I have bought a place. I'm thinking of doing a 12 or 18g. What's the latest recommendations? Looks like LED's are the new thing. I'm mostly looking to do soft coral with maybe a hard here and there.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Pukestain Pal posted:

I've been out of the reef game for about 5 years now and am looking to start up a new reef now that I have bought a place. I'm thinking of doing a 12 or 18g. What's the latest recommendations? Looks like LED's are the new thing. I'm mostly looking to do soft coral with maybe a hard here and there.

Check out the PAR38 bulbs I posted about earlier. On that size tank you'd be able to do SPS corals with just 1 bulb.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

Pukestain Pal posted:

Dude check out the for sale section on nano reef. Some guy has been trying to sell a really nice looking 18ish gallon AIO for a pretty good price.

This one:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=306289

I'd totally jump on this if I weren't planning my 50 cube.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
What do you guys think of this setup right here:

http://znnea.rmuvx.servertrust.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SCA%2D001

These is some guy on Craigslist selling these new for $550. Apparently they are knock offs of the Cadlights 50 cube. I can't find much discussion of them online besides a cople threads mentioning that theyre Cadlights knockoffs. I Pmd one guy on reef central that had one and he said he was satisfied aside for the plumbing pieces being a little cheap, he used his own.

Seems like a steal for a starfire tank but I'm debating whether or not I should just have a legit Leemar cube made or save that for the actual home I plan on buying next year and just loving around with this in my apartment for now.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

visuvius posted:

Dude check out the for sale section on nano reef. Some guy has been trying to sell a really nice looking 18ish gallon AIO for a pretty good price.

This one:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=306289

I'd totally jump on this if I weren't planning my 50 cube.

I'd totally jump on this for a work tank if I could get that past my boss. I have 2 LED PAR38 units that would be perfect to run in tandem over it, with the gooseneck clamp fixtures, a decent skimmer for the back chamber. In fact I have all the equipment I need for it, maybe I have to get some extra plumbing parts but eh.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Aug 29, 2012

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Doesn't really seem like that good of a price if the guy paid $200 and is charging $220 after shipping?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Internet Explorer posted:

Doesn't really seem like that good of a price if the guy paid $200 and is charging $220 after shipping?
It's never been used and if you keep scrolling down he drops the price a shitload.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
It looks vaguely like the work of this notorious guy out of california who takes a long-rear end time to custom-make them with very poor communication. If so it's well worth the money (even at a slight premium) to buy one that's already made and you don't have to deal with the original maker. (yes, I dealt with him for my 20gal custom)

e: John Hoang(?) at Advanced Acrylics, do a search for vendor feedback on reefcentral forums, it's quite a read

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 29, 2012

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

nwin posted:

It's never been used and if you keep scrolling down he drops the price a shitload.

That's what I get for replying without reading the entire thread that was linked.

[Edit: Wow, that is a good price, especially for everything.]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Aug 29, 2012

MKLKT
Oct 21, 2010

...armed with five-five-sixers, and pineapples.

nwin posted:

But he suddenly set it up? Seems like a weird choice.

Seems like a got a pretty darn good deal on my new system then, $100 for a 110 with stand, centre side drilled herbie and two drilled returns with loc-line already in it. Oh, and a whole bay of electrical sockets with a handy kill switch for emergencies. The only downside so far is the cabinet doors (painted plywood), but I can easily make new ones that are nicer.

Anyone else have a large tank? Feels like I'm the odd one out right now, haha.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, that sounds like a pretty good drat deal. I have a 90g with a 40g breeder at home. My 12g nano cube is at work. Obviously a larger tank is nice because of what you can do with it, but it is a lot more excited expensive and a lot more work.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
Well, it seems like my tank is leaking.

gently caress this poo poo.

I noticed it two nights ago because there was a small puddle of water where there shouldn't be.

It seems to be somewhere on the bottom of the tank, but it's hard to figure out exactly where. It's a very slow seep, only a few drops per minute. My tank is glass held together with silicon, so I'm guessing it's a bad seal somewhere. I cannot find any cracks at all.

I'll investigate further to make sure it's actually a leak and not spilled water or capillary action or something else. I've already checked pretty thoroughly though, and I'm convinced that it's a leak.

My LFS doesn't have a replacement 75 gallon in stock, but he can order one to be delivered with his next shipment next Wednesday.

Since it's such a slow leak, I think I'll be okay until next Wednesday. If the leak worsens, he can put a hold on the tank and then I can borrow a truck to go pick it up (his supplier is about 25 miles away.) If he can put a hold on it AND I can get a truck today, I might go pick it up later today. Of course PAX is this weekend, so I don't exactly have a lot of free time to take care of this poo poo over the next few days.

Baaaaaalllllllllsssss.

U.S. Barryl
Apr 16, 2003
I doubt I'm the first to discover this, but has anybody gone to their local indoor gardening supply shop? I just went and found 48" 4 bulb T5 fixtures for less than $150. Just need to replace a couple bulbs, and it seems ridiculously cheap. They sell fully submersible pumps for cheaper than any online supplier I've found. This particular shop had a marine aquarium department where they sold aquarium brand stuff, but it was all priced comparable to online shops. I don't see any reason to go with coralife or whatever when it's 100 bucks more than the grow light fixtures.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
You're not. All "grow light" T5HO and MH fixtures are cheaper than their "reefer" equivalent by like 1/3.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
This guy is my new favorite in the tank

Russian Dollies
Jun 25, 2006

Basically... RUN.

Found this when doing some aquarium shopping today, and thought I'd share. :)

Now for advice: I just upgraded the lighting on my 14G to an AI Nano, and I'd like to try my hand at some LPS or SPS. Is there something particularly hardy that would be good for a beginner? I've been keeping soft corals just fine, but want something a bit more colorful/challenging.

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!
Beginner, nano, and SPS coral don't normally go in the same sentence, but you can always start out with some relatively cheap acros and montis from like 10-25$ at your LFS.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I'd start with some montis or birdsnests ... there's some that are pretty f'n awesome and really easy to grow.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

api call girl posted:

I'd start with some montis or birdsnests ... there's some that are pretty f'n awesome and really easy to grow.

I've never had good luck with birds nests. Just my .02

Lusername
Sep 22, 2005
The truth is just an excuse for a lack of imagination.

Henchman 21 posted:

This guy is my new favorite in the tank

That's gorgeous. As a coral newbie, what is it? It looks like a Dendronephthya but I haven't seen them with that 'foot' before.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3
Hey local dudes (Cleveland area), I'm selling a few corals. No shipping though, I would gently caress it up.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2208501

Latest FTS, from an iPhone. I wish it looked as good on a PC as it actually does on my phone.

More (older, maybe 2 months) pictures here:
http://reeftools.com/live/forum/showthread.php?t=2101

the Pixies fukken SUCKED fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Sep 1, 2012

MKLKT
Oct 21, 2010

...armed with five-five-sixers, and pineapples.

Lusername posted:

That's gorgeous. As a coral newbie, what is it? It looks like a Dendronephthya but I haven't seen them with that 'foot' before.

It's a type of cucumber, not a coral.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=747+2663+2891&pcatid=2891

Just gotta be careful of toxins from their death/dismemberment, it can kill the rest of your livestock.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

Russian Dollies posted:

Found this when doing some aquarium shopping today, and thought I'd share. :)

Now for advice: I just upgraded the lighting on my 14G to an AI Nano, and I'd like to try my hand at some LPS or SPS. Is there something particularly hardy that would be good for a beginner? I've been keeping soft corals just fine, but want something a bit more colorful/challenging.

Like others mentioned, montiporas are probably your best bet followed by some cheap acros and a birds nest. I would have agreed about the SPS don't go with minis thing before I set up my 12 gallon nano. I did just what you're about to do, got 3 small frags, one of each just to see how they would do. So far, they look to be doing great. Polyps come out and the montipora has already encrusted over the superglue I attached it with. As long as you keep on top of your parameters and water changes, it should be okay.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

MKLKT posted:

It's a type of cucumber, not a coral.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=747+2663+2891&pcatid=2891

Just gotta be careful of toxins from their death/dismemberment, it can kill the rest of your livestock.

Oh yes I am keeping an eye on him at all times, first sign of distress and he's gone. He was cheap tho so I won't feel bad donating him to the local lfs or trading him off via Craigslist

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I had a custom 4.4g nanoreef back in 2004-05. The power outages after hurricane Wilma forced me to choose between using generator power to run my reef, or my refrigerator.

:commissar:

Getting back into it, though. MarineDepot had a labor day Biocube sale, and in a moment of weakness, I snagged a 29 gallon model.

Should be expensive fun!

Hypnotized
Nov 2, 2004
My reef hit two years old this month.

Hypnotized fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Wow, that is an amazing tank. How many gallons? Did you buy those corals as frags or were they full colonies?

• Locked thread