Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Just took some shots which I will upload a bit later, gonna try to get some clips of it if I can, but first impressions:

Manky you are a GENIUS.

e: god I need a camera

mean 90 in the neck, loudmouth in the bridge. I like to go single-coil on the loudmouth and mix it with the 90. Nice deep low with a clear, almost twangy high end? Idk it just sounds like a whole new sexy beast now. I am so in love.

boxcarhobo fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
woop

amishbuttermaster
Apr 28, 2009
I'm not normally a Gibson fan but that thing looks pretty sweet. How's it sound?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

amishbuttermaster posted:

I'm not normally a Gibson fan but that thing looks pretty sweet. How's it sound?
I can't really play it much right now. I have 7 stitches in my left hand. :( Initial impressions are that it's brighter than the drat sun, but with the tone knob at about 3 or 4, a pretty nice single coil tone. A bit growly, not too thin. I'd love to have a single-sized humbucker in it tbh.

Acoustically, it's resonant as all hell! 60's Gibsons are just magic like that - the mahogany and rosewood that they were using back then just... it's so light, and it projects so well. I love it.

Also, I took the vibrato off and strung it up as a hardtail with just the bridge. Vibrolas are neat, but pretty unstable.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Aug 22, 2012

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

boxcarhobo posted:

Just took some shots which I will upload a bit later, gonna try to get some clips of it if I can, but first impressions:

Manky you are a GENIUS.

e: god I need a camera

mean 90 in the neck, loudmouth in the bridge. I like to go single-coil on the loudmouth and mix it with the 90. Nice deep low with a clear, almost twangy high end? Idk it just sounds like a whole new sexy beast now. I am so in love.

:hfive: I'm no genius, I'm going to have to defer and give that credit to the good folks at GFS. It's hard explaining to people that, yes, their pickups are crazy inexpensive, but they're still some of the best pups you're going to hear. I mean, I heard the same thing, but you just can't believe it until you experience it.

It is extraordinary though. I don't know what it is about the 90 plus the bucker in single coil mode, but that's mostly how I play it too. I can't take my hands off mine either! Although I am pretty jealous of your amp, it's definitely time for me to start saving up for something better.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
https://www.hellomusic.com generally has at least one good amp for cheap over the period of two weeks or so.

Looks like the GFS fever I have is catching. Now I just need to figure out how to wire this up.

I'm thinking I'm going to paint it like a flamed hot rod. Black background. May take a while, the swimming pool is coming first.

I think I'm going to sunburst this one.

If anyone can identify the guitars they probably originally were, I'd appreciate it. I've got a Strat-ish neck and a few ESP-ish necks to put on them.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Warcabbit posted:

https://www.hellomusic.com generally has at least one good amp for cheap over the period of two weeks or so.

I bought my last amp through Hello, and they shipped me a unit with a blown fuse. I contacted them, shipped it back, and received a replacement - with a broken grill. It works and I kept it, but I could be happier. Customer service was good initially, until they stopped responded after broken unit 2. That's only my personal experience, it could very well be (and probably is) that I just had some very bad luck. But it's enough to keep me from buying through them again.

VVVV: Jeeeeealouuuuus

Manky fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Aug 22, 2012

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Manky posted:

Although I am pretty jealous of your amp, it's definitely time for me to start saving up for something better.

Hee, I caught the first good tax return of my entire life, and that's what I spent every dime of it + some savings on. It's a TH100. Not the greatest Orange I guess, but the ability to lower the wattage from 100 to 70/50/35 is very nice, and good god it still sounds amazing on any setting. The cleans are gorgeous and full, and the dirty channel is so throaty. That + this new setup is some of the most nut-bustingly good tones I've had the fortune to play.

boxcarhobo fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Aug 22, 2012

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009
For a long time I'd been wanting a new mandolin as an upgrade from my cheap Kentucky; I finally pulled the trigger on this 1970s Alvarez:

Should be arriving next week, UPS willing. :neckbeard:

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Carbohydrates posted:

I can't really play it much right now. I have 7 stitches in my left hand. :( Initial impressions are that it's brighter than the drat sun, but with the tone knob at about 3 or 4, a pretty nice single coil tone. A bit growly, not too thin. I'd love to have a single-sized humbucker in it tbh.

Acoustically, it's resonant as all hell! 60's Gibsons are just magic like that - the mahogany and rosewood that they were using back then just... it's so light, and it projects so well. I love it.

Also, I took the vibrato off and strung it up as a hardtail with just the bridge. Vibrolas are neat, but pretty unstable.

Its so simple yet looks beautiful. I hope your hand heals up soon so you can get back to playing.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.
Wrong thread?

RE: Pickup chat, I'm planning on doing a major pickup changeover in my ESP M-250 since I've decided to whittle down to 2 guitars for the forseeable future. The guitar is currently in a HSH configuration with a hot rails in the center position. I'd like to change it over to a HSH with a normal strat single in the mid position and a coil-tapping humbucker in the bridge. Ideally I'd like the 5-way switch to go Neck, Neck + Single, Single, Single + coil tapped Bridge HB, Bridge HB, and also be able to use a push-pull pot in the neck position to coil tap it on its own. The guitar only has 1 volume and 1 tone knob. I looked on some guitar wiring websites but this combination is fairly esoteric. I know next to nothing about wiring guitar pickups but I am handy with a soldering iron and can read a wiring diagram just fine. Thoughts?

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Words to your mothers. :c00l:

Legend Model A60 // Sovtek 2x12 with two 25W/16Ω Pre-Rola Celestion G12H greenbacks in parallel for 8Ω load. I could've bought the matching Legend 4x12 cab, which also looks like an 80's deck chair and is ridiculously more rare than the head, but had no way to get it home, and if I wanted another non-transportable rig, I'd buy another VT22. Though that would be completely unnecessary and retarded.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So I just bought this:

And I've come to find my power adapter doesn't fit it; I come to ask you goons if this thing is busted, is from a different region (The stickers are ripped off the back), or just requires it's own proprietary adapter. Help me wise goons.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Liku posted:

So I just bought this:

And I've come to find my power adapter doesn't fit it; I come to ask you goons if this thing is busted, is from a different region (The stickers are ripped off the back), or just requires it's own proprietary adapter. Help me wise goons.

Requires proprietary adapter and if you used the wrong one anyway the answer to "is busted" could be "yep, sorry."

Most pedals use 9VDC negative polarity. That sucker runs on AC power, like many other Digitech effects pedals (not the compact ones, like the Hardwired series - I mean the actual crazy effects, or modelers, etc. - anything in an enclosure that looks like that, for starters).

Digitech has an AC->AC stepdown transformer which provides it with the kind of juice it needs. You may be able to find a technician who can diagnose whether or not it was damaged by the application of incorrect power, and if so, to what extent, and if reparable, how much. Best of luck :(

Note: I loving hate that pedal. Not because it sounds bad or anything, it's a neat effect, but because as you have noticed, Liku, the industry has not done a very good job of having any way to differentiate-on-sight the sort of adapter required for a particular task. More fried pedals due to the loving Digitech AC->AC adapter, I swear, it's a menace. They ought to make it so that the barrel-end is square, and the plug is square, and there's some kind of a goddamned release latch with a little notch on top of the barrel-end that doesn't let you plug a "standard" adapter into them. Pedal murdering lack of standardization :mad:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Awww well gently caress me then. Thanks for the info, I guess I'll guy a power supply and test it out, my current power supply wouldn't even fit inside so I don't think I fried it but I could have bought it fried. I should have just spent the extra and bought it new. :smith: gently caress this proprietary bullshit.

Thanks again for the info.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Well, actually, if you were unable to get incorrect power to it, it's probably in whatever condition it was before, so cross your fingers you got a good one :)

Don't buy the adapter for the Whammy DT or Whammmy V, as they switched over from AC->AC to AC->DC and that obviously is not what you're looking for. Do a bit of research, there are whole communities dedicated to the Whammy and other effects from Digitech's earlier days, only buy the supply once you're sure you've correctly identified the pedal and what kind of supply you need. I couldn't tell you which model that is specifically. Best of luck, though.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Would it be better to just eBay the thing and buy a newer model or something? The back sticker has been ripped off and other than what's in the picture, I can't find any identifying markings. The power jack says "POWER 9VAC ~50/60 Hz 1.3 A," so that's probably the biggest identifier.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
These Rondo people are onto something. This thing kicks the poo poo out of guitars twice the price, I'd say (Septor 7 27", blackouts, from a friend of mine)

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
They're just really bad at offering the combinations I want. :negative: They never seem to make any passive Septor Elites.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Been an expensive couple of months since picking guitar back up after a long hiatus...

I saw the new Epiphone Robb Flynn Baritone V, couldn't resist, so I got it...

and luckily got one of the first 250, so it came with this:

It meant I could finally get my Epiphone Les Paul back up to standard tuning and normal strings after having it tuned way down for years (.60s on the low E!).

Then I wanted to beef up my tone and play with some effects, so I scored one of these brand new at nearly half price:

Then blew up my 10 year old Fender Frontman practice amp, so splashed out on a Peavey Vypyr 30 (best way to get the classic 5150 sound without spending a fortune)

I originally wanted a Sanpera I, but the fella in the store had a Sanpera II ex-demo unit which he offered to me at only slightly more than the Sanpera I. I was powerless to resist.

Expensive couple of months :stare:

Fortunately, I'm pretty bloody ecstatic with all the gear. The Flying V feels and sounds like a much more expensive guitar. The Tonelab was a fun piece of kit (kind of redundant now I have the Peavey combo though). The Vypyr with Sanpera sounds awesome and has a shitton of controllability.

hj henhemjamib
Sep 16, 2007
simply follow these steps and you be Whammin

Liku posted:

Would it be better to just eBay the thing and buy a newer model or something? The back sticker has been ripped off and other than what's in the picture, I can't find any identifying markings. The power jack says "POWER 9VAC ~50/60 Hz 1.3 A," so that's probably the biggest identifier.

Here is what you are looking for: http://www.amazon.com/Digitech-PS0913B-RP100-350-HarmonyMan-TimeBender/dp/B0002Z2CYU

I have the same one and can confirm that this works.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
I pulled the pickguard off the MM SG today when I was swapping its strings from 9s to 10s and was surprised to discover: A) the route is much bigger than I was expecting, and B) it actually has a neck pickup route, too! My new plan is to switch to a GFS Alnico V mini-hum, but I'm trying to decide on two things: One, I'm gonna need a new pickguard. White, like the guitar would have originally had; or parchment, like what it's faded to? And two, should I stick with just the bridge pickup or throw a mini-hum in the neck as well? I already have spare wire and a switch and I'm gonna get a new pickguard, so it'd just be another $35 for another mini-hum.

Oh, and of course I'm not doing anything destructive or non-reversible.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Carbohydrates posted:

And two, should I stick with just the bridge pickup or throw a mini-hum in the neck as well?

Except, y'know, 6-string versions.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I was QUITE pleased with the '59.
http://www.guitarfetish.com/Mini-59-Vintage-Wound-Alnico-75K-Neck-BLACK-ring_p_1500.html

My telemaster came with a ceramic. It serves well, but the difference in sound between it and the '59 is really quite impressive. Fuller and rounder.

Also, parchment. Natural look.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
I finally have a reason to post in here! After taking lessons for a year and a half, and using a dinky rental cello, I saved up some money and bought my own. Its absolutely gorgeous and sounds great!

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Deathy McDeath posted:

I finally have a reason to post in here! After taking lessons for a year and a half, and using a dinky rental cello, I saved up some money and bought my own. Its absolutely gorgeous and sounds great!

That is really awesome! Goongratulations

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Ahhhh that owns. I've actually been writing cello (and trumpet!) parts into my songs lately.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Deathy McDeath posted:

That is totally a handsome beast. I should sit down and listen to more stuff with strings.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

Allen Wren posted:

That is totally a handsome beast. I should sit down and listen to more stuff with strings.

I've been listening to more stringy stuff lately. Not really classical, more modern/indie/experimental stuff. If that's your thing you might check out Andrew Bird, Zach Miskin, The Books, and Tin Hat Trio. All are awesome.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

mofolotopo posted:

I've been listening to more stringy stuff lately. Not really classical, more modern/indie/experimental stuff. If that's your thing you might check out Andrew Bird, Zach Miskin, The Books, and Tin Hat Trio. All are awesome.

ARTHUR loving RUSSELL

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Cello music is the best, so deep and throaty. That looks like a beautiful instrument. Is it new or aged a bit?

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Its about 10 years old

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

Noise Machine posted:

ARTHUR loving RUSSELL

This is the first I've heard of this Arthur loving Russell chap, I'll check it out!

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I had to go back and get the cab, I'd feel bad if these two got separated.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Handen posted:

I had to go back and get the cab, I'd feel bad if these two got separated.

Not ashamed to admit I'm glad you did, how does it sound compared to the Sovtek cab?

communistdew
Sep 11, 2005
Where do we light our cigars with dollah bills?
Oh how I've lusted after this beautiful thing. Found one on Craigslist right after getting some extra spending money. Whoops:

It sounds as good as it looks.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
Finally got my project guitar all done! It's a 1997 Samick built Epiphone Sheraton. Got this a few months ago with the intent of changing just about everything on it. This was going to be my first foray into guitar modifications beyond pickups, and I did not what I was getting myself into.

Anyway, here are some pictures!

Before:

After:

I still need to tweak the setup ever so slightly, but at this point it plays pretty good, and sounds way, way better then I could have hoped for. Here's a list of everything that went into it:

Grover Rotomatic 18:1 tuners
Graphtech Tusq xl Nut
GFS Dream 90 Neck pickup
Seymour Duncan Seth Lover bridge
Seymour Duncan Triple Shot pickup ring for bridge
Gotoh bridge and aluminum stop bar
Fullsize CTS pots, switchcraft switch and jack
Allparts knobs and switch tip

I think that's it. I polished off the gold plating on everything that I didn't have a silver part handy for.

I'll post some clips soon if I can, but I have to say the one thing I learned from this whole experience is to never want to do this to a semi hollow guitar again.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Deathy McDeath posted:

Its about 10 years old

In my (uninformed) opinion, it's nice to give the wood a chance to temper and the parts to swell and deflate together.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Schlieren posted:

Not ashamed to admit I'm glad you did, how does it sound compared to the Sovtek cab?

For some reason the Sovtek opens up and gets loud as gently caress, whereas the 4x12 stays quieter and breaks up at a completely manageable loudness. I have an OLC Eighteen pedal that'll blow my Ampeg and the Sovtek cab away when I crank all the knobs, but for some reason the 4x12 cab stays quiet when I hit that pedal on. Which is a good thing, because the good crunchy sound suddenly doesn't make your ears bleed. Also, surprise, you can ape Billy Gibbons' 80's ZZ Top tone nearly impeccably, and it doesn't do too bad at their earlier sound as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Carbohydrates posted:

Love love love G&Ls.

How do the lower end G&L's stack up? There's some you can get on Amazon for $500 (this one makes me all tingly) and there's this one for like $1300

What's the difference?