Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

She's a tiny, sickly baby who has just been taken away from the only family she's known and placed in a strange new world. She's probably stressed and dogs can't eat when they're that stressed. Just chill out and give her time to settle. I'm sure she'll get the hang of treats in time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:
One of our puppies seems to have diarrhea and threw up at least once. We think she ate her own poop last night and that might be why, but we're not sure. Unfortunately when we're sleeping we can't stop them from eating their own poop :(

Anyway, she's pooped a few times today and there's only been a little bit of actual poop and a lot of weird viscous water looking stuff. She also seems to be hungrier and more attracted to food than our other puppy that we believe is from the same litter. Is there anything we can do for her?

We found out the Purina food we've been giving them is poo poo and we ordered a bag of EVO last night that should be here today, so we're hoping that helps.

MrFurious
Dec 11, 2003
THINKS HE IS BEST AT DOGS (is actually worst at dogs!!!)

Cuatal posted:

One of our puppies seems to have diarrhea and threw up at least once. We think she ate her own poop last night and that might be why, but we're not sure. Unfortunately when we're sleeping we can't stop them from eating their own poop :(

Anyway, she's pooped a few times today and there's only been a little bit of actual poop and a lot of weird viscous water looking stuff. She also seems to be hungrier and more attracted to food than our other puppy that we believe is from the same litter. Is there anything we can do for her?

We found out the Purina food we've been giving them is poo poo and we ordered a bag of EVO last night that should be here today, so we're hoping that helps.

See the vet. Is she lethargic as well? The scary one for puppies is always parvovirus, but puppies get sick for all sorts of reasons.

Make sure she's getting enough water because diarrhea will dehydrate her. I am skeptical that the food is causing these problems, so I would not recommend that you swap the food cold turkey. Make it gradual.

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!

Snowmankilla posted:

So we brought home Luna today. The smaller/sicker of the two Yorkies. She seems very healthy, and has not had any issues in a while.

You're being way too impatient. The first couple days are huge adjustments for pups and recently rescued dogs. Anxiety and stress can totally kill a dog's appetite. Our pup would barely budge from one spot in the living room and wasn't interested at all in food or toys on her first day. Give her some time.

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

MrFurious posted:

See the vet. Is she lethargic as well? The scary one for puppies is always parvovirus, but puppies get sick for all sorts of reasons.

Make sure she's getting enough water because diarrhea will dehydrate her. I am skeptical that the food is causing these problems, so I would not recommend that you swap the food cold turkey. Make it gradual.

She doesn't seem lethargic and definitely hasn't lost her appetite. Also there doesn't appear to be any blood in her poop.

They've only been eating the food for the week we've had them, and the food is crap, it wouldn't be better to just give them new food?

Edit - Will be using this guide to change their food - http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=99

Cuatal fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Sep 3, 2012

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011
I'm not a BYB because I live in an apartment.

Snowmankilla posted:

The thing that sucks is we cannot reward going outside, or going into the crate without a food she likes.
Give her time in general. I never (and I'm by no means alone in this) treat for either of those things. I praise generously, but very calmly for taking care of the business outdoors (not every single time nowadays) and crating is just a thing that happens unless I were to play crate games. Nevertheless all my gals have grown to love the crate and will go happily in, if I tell them to. Mind you I don't crate my dogs that often. I have no crate set up at home for instance.

Cuatal posted:

They've only been eating the food for the week we've had them, and the food is crap, it wouldn't be better to just give them new food?
Nope. I don't think the crap food or even crap eating is necessarily the cause. I won't say it is parvo, though it certainly could be, but puppies get upset tummies without no discernible cause sometimes. I always (well almost always) have some lactobacillus supplement at home, which isn't an aggressive treatment for diarrhea, but it helps a bit and can be used for instance when you're switching from one food to the next, if you have a dog with sensitive stomach. One of the drugs we get, that has a bit more punch, is one with pectin and attapulgite.

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

Riiseli posted:

Nope. I don't think the crap food or even crap eating is necessarily the cause. I won't say it is parvo, though it certainly could be, but puppies get upset tummies without no discernible cause sometimes. I always (well almost always) have some lactobacillus supplement at home, which isn't an aggressive treatment for diarrhea, but it helps a bit and can be used for instance when you're switching from one food to the next, if you have a dog with sensitive stomach. One of the drugs we get, that has a bit more punch, is one with pectin and attapulgite.

Are those drugs all specifically for dogs or is the human stuff? The diarrhea isn't particularly serious, she's not pooping like hundreds of times, it's probably been about an hour now since she's pooped.

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011
I'm not a BYB because I live in an apartment.

Cuatal posted:

Are those drugs all specifically for dogs or is the human stuff? The diarrhea isn't particularly serious, she's not pooping like hundreds of times, it's probably been about an hour now since she's pooped.
Those are for pets. Or the other (lactobacillus supplement) was originally meant for farm animals, but used to have dosage for pets in the label as well. Nowadays it is packaged for pets in smaller quantities. But I bet google could be your friend. Or your local pharmacy, if they sell pet products.

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

Riiseli posted:

Those are for pets. Or the other (lactobacillus supplement) was originally meant for farm animals, but used to have dosage for pets in the label as well. Nowadays it is packaged for pets in smaller quantities. But I bet google could be your friend. Or your local pharmacy, if they sell pet products.

I live in China so it's not really easy to get stuff like this, unfortunately. I tried Taobao, which would be the place to buy it, but it's all capsules and kind of shady looking.

MrFurious
Dec 11, 2003
They're just probiotics, which are likely not the problem that you have right now, I wouldn't worry about it. If this has been going on for a week or more, you need to have a stool sample checked by the vet for parasites.

MrFurious fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 4, 2012

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

I need some advice on leaving my dog alone.

I'm going back to Uni at the end of the month having had a year off sick. Eccles the border terrier is 11 months old and to date has always had me around. On Wednesdays and Thursdays I'm out all day so I'll be leaving Eccles at my parents house. She likes it there so I'm not too worried, but on Fridays I'll be leaving Eccles alone at home for about 4 to 5 hours. Not exactly an all day job but more than she is used to.

I hate the idea of her being alone, bored and frustrated. I know it's only 1 day a week but I would love some ideas of things I can do to make her alone time Fridays easier to bare. Any tips or tricks on how to keep to keep a dog entertained whilst you're out?

Here is an action shot of said dog scoffing down expensive German dogmeat. Her head was jackhammering so fast I couldn't get a blur free shot.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Just give her a good amount of exercise before you leave, and maaaybe a long lasting chew/bone/stuffed kong when you go and she'll be just fine. 4-5 hours is really not that long, and I think she'll get used to being alone relatively quickly.

Koppite
Apr 10, 2007

The Land of Pleasant Living
Anyone know the best way to get the dog urine smell out of a rug I just got? It still smells like amonia. Any tricks?

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Clean it with an enzymatic cleaner? I think 'Nature's Miracle' is the popular one in the US.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Dr Scoofles posted:

I hate the idea of her being alone, bored and frustrated. I know it's only 1 day a week but I would love some ideas of things I can do to make her alone time Fridays easier to bare. Any tips or tricks on how to keep to keep a dog entertained whilst you're out?

a life less posted:

Just give her a good amount of exercise before you leave, and maaaybe a long lasting chew/bone/stuffed kong when you go and she'll be just fine. 4-5 hours is really not that long, and I think she'll get used to being alone relatively quickly.

This. Linus has gotten much better about being by himself since we started stuffing his kong with his favorite treat (canned chicken) before leaving/heading downstairs/going to sleep.

Then again, he's a very young puppy who's still crate/house training.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Thwomp posted:

This. Linus has gotten much better about being by himself since we started stuffing his kong with his favorite treat (canned chicken) before leaving/heading downstairs/going to sleep.

Then again, he's a very young puppy who's still crate/house training.
I got one of the beehive-shaped Kongs for my cousin's dog when it was living with me, because he was prone to freaking out whenever anybody left the room, and it helped immensely at keeping him occupied when we left.

Unfortunately, my new boxer, Devushka ('Devo') is not very food-motivated (aside from people food), and doesn't understand how to play with toys, so we've got some work to do before she'll be getting her meals from the big red beehive. :(

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.
What did happen to your cousin's dog, by the way? He seemed like a sweetie.

edit: I just realized that could be taken as being judgmental, but I'm just curious. I didn't see you post anything about where he ended up. Your new pup is adorable too. :3:

2tomorrow fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Sep 5, 2012

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

2tomorrow posted:

What did happen to your cousin's dog, by the way? He seemed like a sweetie.

edit: I just realized that could be taken as being judgmental, but I'm just curious. I didn't see you post anything about where he ended up. Your new pup is adorable too. :3:
It was in the EN thread I thought, but basically he called me up out of the blue after a couple/few weeks, and told me he wanted his dog back, because he was moving to shittyville, OR to stay in his mom's apartment. I called his mom and offered to keep his dog until he got his poo poo together since it only misbehaved around him, and because I know she doesn't have a pet deposit or a place big enough. She dithered and I shrugged and said, "okay, you've got a dog, call this phone number and work it out because I am out of state for the next few days, and he wants his poo poo taken care of right now."

Since I was out of state, the dog was with my brother and the cousin went and took it away. Since then, cousin has only been vaguely coherent in his communiques online, and I'm done with it. There are plenty of other animals which can be saved without having to go through ugly drama because someone doesn't have their poo poo together enough, to realize that they can't even fend for themselves let alone a pet.

I'm bummed on it, but it's done, and I've moved on, I learned enough to not try and help those who don't want it, although I still have to try once in a while I guess. v:shobon:v

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
I'm looking for some advice. We picked up an incredibly sweet stray dog. No tags, no microchip. We have ads up on CL and at Animal Control, but the owners haven't contacted us and it is likely he was abandoned. We're trying to re-home him rather than take him to Animal Control. I had actually hoped to advertise here, but the rules prohibit it, so you don't even get a picture :)

Both sites recommended in the rules thread only let shelter organizations post ads rather than individuals. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to advertise him? We've done Craigslist and Reddit ads, but we're in a fairly small town and wanted a bigger audience. We're willing to drive him a long distance to get him to a good home, so we were hoping for something bigger than the usual local sites.

If it matters, we're in Kentucky.

KS fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Sep 5, 2012

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Try contacting private rescues in your area and seeing if they will do a courtesy posting for you. Just explain your situation and say you don't mind holding on to the dog while you search but you need help finding a new home for him.

Ed. I think Skizzles is involved in rescue in KY, you could try PMing her.

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Sep 5, 2012

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

KS posted:

I'm looking for some advice. We picked up an incredibly sweet stray dog. No tags, no microchip. We have ads up on CL and at Animal Control, but the owners haven't contacted us and it is likely he was abandoned. We're trying to re-home him rather than take him to Animal Control. I had actually hoped to advertise here, but the rules prohibit it, so you don't even get a picture :)

Both sites recommended in the rules thread only let shelter organizations post ads rather than individuals. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to advertise him? We've done Craigslist and Reddit ads, but we're in a fairly small town and wanted a bigger audience. We're willing to drive him a long distance to get him to a good home, so we were hoping for something bigger than the usual local sites.

If it's not a total mutt, search on google for the breed, "rescue" and your state/region. Hell, you could just go to your local PetSmart or equivalent on a weekend and talk to the volunteers who've got the dogs and kitties, and tell them your situation.

FWIW I drove 500 miles round-trip to pick up my rescue dog, and if you get a good rescue organization, they may likely come pick the dog up if you can't/won't foster it while they do a posting.

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.

coyo7e posted:

I'm bummed on it, but it's done, and I've moved on, I learned enough to not try and help those who don't want it, although I still have to try once in a while I guess. v:shobon:v

Yeah, you did all you could. Hopefully your cousin gets his act together or the dog lands with another responsible person.

KS posted:

Definitely call the shelters and ask for help rehoming him. I would recommend contacting private rescues and breed rescues if he is an identifiable breed (even if he is a mix, most breed rescues will assist). If you're willing and able to foster him, many will be happy to help you find a home for him. They may list him on their websites as well as the sites that only allow rescue organizations to post ads.

Facebook can be another good resource. Just posting it to your own wall and asking animal lovers on your friends list to share, or searching for dog rescue or local dog community pages and posting it there. I'm on a couple of breed community pages and rescue dogs are often posted to them, and usually snapped up in a heartbeat.

Silky Thighs
Aug 30, 2005

I haven't had a dog since i was 6. At that time my family lived on a farm and had tons of land for him to run around on.

Well i finally got my dream dog yesterday! A Siberian Husky! I met him today, met the breeder, asked all the right questions and she was legit.

Tomorrow my project is to finish fencing in my back yard, get a crate/food/toys and all the other essentials. Then after this is all finished I'm going to go pick my new pup up.

Meet Logan, 9 weeks old!

This thread has been extremely helpful so thank you all. I'm still a little nervous and keep re-reading all the information that is on here, and that was given to me by the breeder.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

a life less posted:

Thanks a life less. It's nice to have some reassurance that 4-5 hours isn't that long. Googling this brings up pages of the most depressing Yahoo Answers written by people who probably shouldn't own dogs.

Thwomp posted:

Plenty of exercise and a Kong it is! She has outgrown her puppy Kong so now is the perfect time to upgrade. Thanks again.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Thanks for the tips, guys. I've posted on Facebook as well and I'm reaching out to rescue groups. He's definitely a mutt. Not sure what he's crossed with. Any ideas?

(guess you get a picture after all)

We cannot foster him more than a few weeks -- we are overwhelmed with a cat going through amputation/chemo for lymphoma, a dissertation defense, and an overseas trip in the next month. We'll do our best, though.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I'd bet money he's a boxer cross, is the fur on his chest really thin, almost bare skin? That would be a dead giveaway, even if the face and coloring wasn't.

Splat
Aug 22, 2002
I am back with more puppy questions!

Crate games have been going okay. Amelia's been going in/out on her own when we're playing them, and staying in when I open the door, etc, but she still gets very loud/whiny when we actually put her in there at night to sleep. Been practicing leaving, but only really up to a minute or so before she starts whimpering. Tried to put in a stuffed kong last night for her to chew on and she ignored it until morning when she grabbed it and ran to her favorite spot to chow down, I guess she was saving it? I'm fine with letting her yelp but it worries me that she'll be getting on our neighbors nerves soon (detached house, but her crate is near the closest wall to them), is there anything else I can try apart from more training/patience?

Finally went for a bit of a run with her this morning (>2 weeks from spaying so she's allowed to exercise), and she did really well, though even at my near-sprint she was pulling me pretty hard to go faster. I guess it sped up her bowels a bit as she crapped inside way earlier than she normally has her second poops of the day and we figured she was just wandering around instead of needing to go out, even though she'd been out twice after the run and peed once :-/ Been no pee accidents in a week+ though, just a few poops here and there, and bells are arriving shortly to hopefully help her let us know better. Is there any particular reason she'd be peeing pretty reliably outside but having issues with poop, or are we just getting unlucky?

Lastly, she's now able to destroy the "young" bone (flexichew) in the nylabone puppy pack in like 30 minutes, but the next one (durachew), says to only use for puppies with adult teeth older than 6 months and she's not quite ~4 yet by shelter best estimate. Is there an inbetween tough chewing bone I can get her?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

You may want to try really wearing the dog out. I'd imagine it's especially hard with a greyhound unless you let them hit their top speeds for an extended period of time. If the pup sleeps like a baby after that then you know they just have energy and are antsy to get out and do more.

MrFurious
Dec 11, 2003

Veskit posted:

You may want to try really wearing the dog out. I'd imagine it's especially hard with a greyhound unless you let them hit their top speeds for an extended period of time. If the pup sleeps like a baby after that then you know they just have energy and are antsy to get out and do more.

This is not the problem here. I also don't like blanket recommendations of "more exercise!" because there is usually a behavior component that is being ignored. The end result is a dog that has even more energy and stamina than before that is performing the same unacceptable behavior because it hasn't been addressed.

Splat: FWIW, when I got my puppy, I didn't have a steady night's sleep for roughly the first month. After that, things got easier. This may not necessarily correlate with your own experience, but you're not alone at least (so far!). Given the house training issues, I wouldn't do a stuffed kong at bedtime only because it's likely to exacerbate the issue, but a good chew toy is highly recommended. Puppy style kong bone and a snugglepup were our go-to items. I really can't imagine that your neighbors can hear her whining unless she's getting quite loud and your walls are paper thin.

In regards to the running, be careful. Some folks in the dog sports world claim that impact activities (such as running on concrete or lots of jumping) can do damage to joints before they are fully formed (around 2). I have never been able to find any science backing this up, however. If anyone can point me to an abstract or a study, I'd like to see it.

For pooping inside, without more information it sounds like she just doesn't have that down yet. Stick the the schedule and make sure you react heavily for the right behavior. If you catch her pooping inside, if you catch her mid act or even immediately after, I'd recommend you take her outside and hang out with her while someone else cleans up.

For the chewtoy, you can probably safely give an adult Kong chew toy. It's not as hard and that might be a good thing. Worth trying, but make sure you supervise. That's as much as I can offer.

Splat
Aug 22, 2002

MrFurious posted:

This is not the problem here. I also don't like blanket recommendations of "more exercise!" because there is usually a behavior component that is being ignored. The end result is a dog that has even more energy and stamina than before that is performing the same unacceptable behavior because it hasn't been addressed.

Splat: FWIW, when I got my puppy, I didn't have a steady night's sleep for roughly the first month. After that, things got easier. This may not necessarily correlate with your own experience, but you're not alone at least (so far!). Given the house training issues, I wouldn't do a stuffed kong at bedtime only because it's likely to exacerbate the issue, but a good chew toy is highly recommended. Puppy style kong bone and a snugglepup were our go-to items. I really can't imagine that your neighbors can hear her whining unless she's getting quite loud and your walls are paper thin.

In regards to the running, be careful. Some folks in the dog sports world claim that impact activities (such as running on concrete or lots of jumping) can do damage to joints before they are fully formed (around 2). I have never been able to find any science backing this up, however. If anyone can point me to an abstract or a study, I'd like to see it.

For pooping inside, without more information it sounds like she just doesn't have that down yet. Stick the the schedule and make sure you react heavily for the right behavior. If you catch her pooping inside, if you catch her mid act or even immediately after, I'd recommend you take her outside and hang out with her while someone else cleans up.

For the chewtoy, you can probably safely give an adult Kong chew toy. It's not as hard and that might be a good thing. Worth trying, but make sure you supervise. That's as much as I can offer.

I do appreciate all the advice, though I feel like I'm posting way too much and overthinking things, haha. Thankfully she's pretty quiet through the night, just takes her a bit to settle down and stop whining/barking/howling, but she's good until 7am or so. I'll look into a snugglepup to see if that helps.

Thanks for the heads up on running, I may reserve it for the dog park then so she can run on grass/mud. Seems like I can also see if she likes swimming, but given how cold she gets when it's like 70 outside I don't know if she'll dig it (we have a pool, so I hope she does).

Again, thanks for all the advice!

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

After we started feeding the pups EVO they've stopped having diarrhea and eating their own poop. That Purina stuff must really suck some major rear end.

We've already given them Dentrol Plus for worms and are due for another dose in a few days here. I also have Hartgard Plus ready for them when they get bigger, and we've used Frontline Plus as well.

Why the hell is everything plus?

Tez
Apr 25, 2004
Nothing Really Matters..........
Thanks for all the info. I am looking at getting a pup soon I have been to seen many breeders and asking all the right questions. I just have a few questions, I want to be as prepared as possible even though I am still in the searching stages.

If my pup sleeps in the crate, do I have to set my alarm for every 2-3 hours throughout the night to let him out to eliminate?

If so, at what age will the pup be able to hold his bladder overnight?

When do you stop crate training?

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.
Generally the "plus" products are effective against a wider variety of pests, or a wider variety of life stages when compared to the original product. :eng101: I know the difference between Frontline and Frontline Plus is that Frontline Plus kills larval fleas while Frontline just kills and repels adults.

Glad to hear the pups are doing better. :)

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

2tomorrow posted:

Generally the "plus" products are effective against a wider variety of pests, or a wider variety of life stages when compared to the original product. :eng101: I know the difference between Frontline and Frontline Plus is that Frontline Plus kills larval fleas while Frontline just kills and repels adults.

Glad to hear the pups are doing better. :)

We just found a weird bump thing on one of the pup's stomachs. It doesn't hurt her when we touch it or anything and she is behaving normally. It's probably been there a while. Anyone have any idea what it could be?

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

MrFurious posted:

In regards to the running, be careful. Some folks in the dog sports world claim that impact activities (such as running on concrete or lots of jumping) can do damage to joints before they are fully formed (around 2).
Gave it a quick google and wasn't able to find comprehensive reviews. However I don't think you need scientific journals to back this one up, since any textbook of orthopedics will do. The fact is that if a puppy sustains a growth plate fracture while he's still growing, it can badly gently caress up how that bone will grow. This can lead to a wonky structure, no hope of a future dog sports career for the puppy and osteoarthritis down the road.

High impact/repeptitive exercise while the puppy is growing has also been suspected to be a risk factor for osteochondritis dissecans, which is a common ailment in e.g. Border Collie pups.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Cuatal posted:

We just found a weird bump thing on one of the pup's stomachs. It doesn't hurt her when we touch it or anything and she is behaving normally. It's probably been there a while. Anyone have any idea what it could be?

Umbilical hernia maybe? See a vet if so.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Tez posted:

Thanks for all the info. I am looking at getting a pup soon I have been to seen many breeders and asking all the right questions. I just have a few questions, I want to be as prepared as possible even though I am still in the searching stages.

If my pup sleeps in the crate, do I have to set my alarm for every 2-3 hours throughout the night to let him out to eliminate?

Every dog is different but you may have to get up in the night a few times the first few nights to let him out. It's really the transition to this new possibly-scary place that's the bigger deal than needing to go. Linus was so off-put by the move that my wife and I slept downstairs next to him the first night to help him acclimate. So my experience has been that this is more about getting the dog to trust/bond with you while he adjusts to being in the crate. After a few nights, he should be good to hold it all night (but all dogs are different). Just make sure the space for him in the crate is appropriate (just big enough for him to walk in and turn around.

A couple of tips that I got that helped Linus get through the night like a champ:
1) Put an old shirt of yours that you've been wearing all day in the crate. Make sure it's something that you don't care about obviously.
2) Placing a plastic bottle of water full of hot water inside said shirt for something warm for him to snuggle against at night. Helpful if you get a young puppy whose been with his litter mates up to adoption.
3) A ticking clock or ticking clock app. I've heard this simulates the sound/beat of the mother's heartbeat and helps puppies sleep through the night. It probably also helps provide some white noise as well since going from a noisy shelter/breeder to your quiet home will be jarring.

After a week or so, we stopped putting the water bottle in the crate and he was still okay sleeping at night. We'll probably stop putting on the ticking app at night this weekend (now 3 weeks since getting our pup).

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

also RE sleeping through the night-- some dogs will just eliminate inside the crate with no warning, in which case you'll want to set an alarm and make sure to bring the dog outside to preempt that behavior. When we had our puppy, he'd wake us up by whining in the middle of the night and we'd take him outside immediately and put him back in his crate, so we never had to set an alarm. He never had an accident in his crate, and only peed indoors maybe 5 times total within the first month or two, and never after that. He was always good at letting us know he had to go, and we watched him like a hawk for signals (sniffing, circling, etc) so it was a surprisingly easy process for us.

MrFurious
Dec 11, 2003

Tez posted:

The reason for removing access to water so early is that he shouldn't have any in his system come 3am, so there shouldn't be a need to pee. If you've done this right, you shouldn't need to, but reality is that you may have to wake up a few times early on. I'd do without the breaks first and see how it goes, but it's important that you prevent any soiling in the crate, so if you have to get up, do it.

The math is in the OP for ability to "hold it" and age. Roughly 1 hour per month of age.

You don't "stop" crate training. Whether you continue to use the crate or not is a personal preference, but I still do and my dog is two and a half.

Rixatrix posted:

Gave it a quick google and wasn't able to find comprehensive reviews. However I don't think you need scientific journals to back this one up, since any textbook of orthopedics will do. The fact is that if a puppy sustains a growth plate fracture while he's still growing, it can badly gently caress up how that bone will grow. This can lead to a wonky structure, no hope of a future dog sports career for the puppy and osteoarthritis down the road.

High impact/repeptitive exercise while the puppy is growing has also been suspected to be a risk factor for osteochondritis dissecans, which is a common ailment in e.g. Border Collie pups.

This makes sense. The problem I have is that the definiton of "impact" doesn't seem well defined. I've seen people recommend no running at all in some cases, claiming it can cause joint damage. I find this claim dubious, but again, I'm obviously not a vet. I'm just looking to find a clear, documented line of what is okay and what isn't, and I don't trust dog enthusiasts to determine that accurately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

MrFurious posted:

I'm just looking to find a clear, documented line of what is okay and what isn't
I don't think that exists, because it depends on the dog. Using common sense and aiming for age-appropriate exercise should be enough. With most puppies you can’t really go wrong if you let the pup run off leash on his own terms. This might not apply to really, really intense, high drive puppies, but the vast majority should know how to quit when they’re tired and not overdo it.

“High impact” would probably include jumping (think agility or disc dog training, not hopping over a branch every now and then), anything involving sharp turns at speed etc. “Repetitive” would include jogging/running for extended periods especially on hard surfaces, or specific stuff like learning the weave poles in agility. I don’t think there’s that much specific information on sports injuries in dogs, but you should be able to extrapolate something useful out of what’s known from people and e.g. horses. Here’s some information on growth plate fractures and OCD in children – I’m surprised if the aetiology differs much in puppies (though of course it could). Here’s some information on the biomechanics of jumping in large agility dogs.

I’m really not a hard-liner here – we took Rho cycling and did lots of other pretty strenuous exercise with him starting from when he was 8-10 months. He needed the exercise, enjoyed it and I knew he wasn’t the kind of dog that would push himself too far just because it’s so great to keep going. Rho turned out to be a really fit, completely healthy dog with excellent OFA-equivalent scores and no issues. With my future bc puppy I’m going to be more careful, because he is inherently less likely to quit because of discomfort or fatigue and I know he may have a predisposition to develop OCD.

(Compulsory non-vet disclaimer here, but I do know something about sports injuries in people.)