Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
I'm not sure that Andrew Hussie understands that people don't (or shouldn't) throw their money at a game without any discussed features on a schedule that is less than reliable*.

*It is planned to have work begin in earnest after Homestuck is done. Homestuck, even its individual updates, is notorious for being months delayed or extended or whatnot. If Hussie says it will be done by 2014, expect it rushed in 2015 with crashing servers along the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZackHoagie
Dec 25, 2007

now eat him.
You guys are forgetting the most important constant: Homestuck fans are loving insane. That's a discussion for another time, though.

Robotnik DDS
Oct 31, 2004

Homestuck is the only Kickstarter that could make that much money and literally not explain or show any element of the game whatsoever.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Robotnik DDS posted:

Homestuck is the only Kickstarter that could make that much money and literally not explain or show any element of the game whatsoever.

Ponies.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

There was that pathfinder thing a while back that was literally nothing but references to older work.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Ponies is the only Kickstarter that could make Kickstarter's server just put a gun up to its mainframe and splatter its bandwidth all over the wall.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Apparently NPR radio program "All Things Considered" raised some hubbub regarding the fate of failed Kickstarter projects and the obligations of those behind those projects towards the donators. Kickstarter responded with a (much needed) clarification of their terms.

quote:

Accountability on Kickstarter

Yesterday, NPR's "All Things Considered" asked, "When a Kickstarter campaign fails, does anyone get their money back?" The story questioned what would happen if a Kickstarter project failed to follow through on its promises. The piece raised a number of questions about accountability on Kickstarter, and we want to talk directly about them today.

Since Kickstarter's launch in April of 2009, nearly 30,000 projects have been successfully funded by more than two million people. These projects include documentaries, albums, art, products, video games, plays, books, performances, food, and much more. The number of creative projects that have been funded and produced on Kickstarter in the past three years is enormous. Many could not exist otherwise.

But of course not every project goes perfectly. Delays do occur, especially with more complicated projects. Some creators get in over their heads dealing with processes that are new to them.

We take accountability very seriously at Kickstarter, and the questions raised by NPR are important ones. We've addressed a lot of these questions through the press and in various places on the site, and today we want to go over how accountability works on Kickstarter. We've also added the questions below to our FAQ. Thanks for reading.

Does Kickstarter screen projects before they launch?

Yes, but only a quick review to make sure they meet our Project Guidelines. Kickstarter does not investigate a creator's ability to complete their project. Backers ultimately decide the validity and worthiness of a project by whether they decide to fund it.

Who is responsible for completing a project as promised?

It's the project creator's responsibility to complete their project. Kickstarter is not involved in the development of the projects themselves.

What should creators do if they're having problems completing their project?

If problems come up, creators are expected to post a Project Update (which is emailed to all backers) explaining the situation. Sharing the story, speed bumps and all, is crucial. Most backers support projects because they want to see something happen and they'd like to be a part of it. Creators who are honest and transparent will usually find backers to be understanding.

It's not uncommon for things to take longer than expected. Sometimes the execution of the project proves more difficult than the creator had anticipated. If a creator is making a good faith effort to complete their project and is transparent about it, backers should do their best to be patient and understanding while demanding continued accountability from the creator.

If the problems are severe enough that the creator can't fulfill their project, creators need to find a resolution. Steps could include offering refunds, detailing exactly how funds were used, and other actions to satisfy backers.

Is a creator legally obligated to fulfill the promises of their project?

Yes. Kickstarter's Terms of Use require creators to fulfill all rewards of their project or refund any backer whose reward they do not or cannot fulfill. (This is what creators see before they launch.) We crafted these terms to create a legal requirement for creators to follow through on their projects, and to give backers a recourse if they don't. We hope that backers will consider using this provision only in cases where they feel that a creator has not made a good faith effort to complete the project and fulfill.

Can Kickstarter refund the money if a project is unable to fulfill?

No. Kickstarter doesn't issue refunds, as transactions are between backers and the creator. In fact, Kickstarter never has the funds at all. When a project is successfully funded, money is transferred directly from backers' credit cards to the project creator's Amazon Payments account. It's up to the creator to issue a refund, which they can do through their Amazon Payments account. (Like PayPal, Amazon Payments allows refunds for 60 days from the date of charge. After 60 days, creators cannot reverse the same charge to backers' credit cards, so to issue refunds they'll need to initiate a new transaction to send money via Amazon Payments or PayPal, send backers a check, or use another method. Our support team has guided creators in how to issue refunds like these before.)

Why can't Kickstarter guarantee projects?

We started Kickstarter as a new way for creators and audiences to work together to make things. The traditional funding systems are risk-averse and profit-focused, and tons of great ideas never get a chance as a result. We thought Kickstarter could open the door to a much wider variety of ideas and allow everyone to decide what they wanted to see exist in the world. Kickstarter is full of ambitious, innovative, and imaginative ideas that aren't possible anywhere else.

The pursuit of these projects with a guarantee doesn't work. A Kickstarter where every project is guaranteed would be the same safe bets and retreads we see everywhere else. The fact that Kickstarter allows creators to take risks and attempt to create something ambitious is a feature, not a bug.

What is Kickstarter doing about fulfillment?

As Kickstarter has grown, we've made changes to improve accountability and fulfillment. In August 2011 we began requiring creators to list an "Estimated Delivery Date" for all rewards. This was done to make creators think hard about when they could deliver, and to underline that Kickstarter is not a traditional shopping experience.

In May 2012 we added additional guidelines and requirements for Design and Technology projects. These include requiring creators to provide information about their background and experience, a manufacturing plan (for hardware projects), and a functional prototype. We made this change to ensure that creators have done their research before launching and backers have sufficient information when deciding whether to back these projects.

We've also allocated more staff to trust and safety. We look into projects reported by our community for guidelines violations and suspicious activity, and we take action when necessary. These efforts are focused on fraud and acceptable uses of Kickstarter, not a creator's ability to complete a project and fulfill. On Kickstarter, people ultimately decide the validity and worthiness of a project by whether they decide to fund it.

The part about the creators' legal obligation to fullfill their promise or refund the payment is news to me.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Although I've been extremely, extremely dissatisfied with this act on account of it not being...very good, Homestuck has been enjoyable enough to me that I'll end up donating to this ks.

I AM THE LAW
Jul 15, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
You can't really complain about the Penny Arcade one then donate to this one - they're both incredibly stupid, empty kickstarters.

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

Rinkles posted:

Apparently NPR radio program "All Things Considered" raised some hubbub regarding the fate of failed Kickstarter projects and the obligations of those behind those projects towards the donators. Kickstarter responded with a (much needed) clarification of their terms.

The part about the creators' legal obligation to fullfill their promise or refund the payment is news to me.

I'm pretty sure I saw that when I was reading the legal mumbo jumbo on the kickstarter site a few weeks back, but the thing is that you'd probably need to sue to get the money back most of the time, and for a 25 buck reward it's just not worth it.

If a project fails, and the guys making it don't issue refunds for folks, I'm betting that only a handful of people would sue.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I AM THE LAW posted:

You can't really complain about the Penny Arcade one then donate to this one - they're both incredibly stupid, empty kickstarters.

Nah, one promised to remove ads...that's it, and the other promises an admittedly incredibly vague, extremely unclear product from a guy who has a history of delivering the products he promises, who's a workaholic, and whose products are usually pretty quality. Also, isn't a horrible piece of poo poo who I would feel bad about financially supporting.

I mean yeah they're both stupid but at least this one promises a theoretical (in addition to actual, physical) product and tonally fits with KS' aims. They're two different things.

I mean I'm not urging anyone to back, because it's definitely not for everyone and there's more than enough reason to not, but it's really not similar at all to the PA ks.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
Yeah, ponies are the only other users that I can think of who have more users with related avatars than Homestuck. Seems like it should be no problem for them to make that amount of money in a short amount of time.

I don't know anything about Homestuck other than I don't understand it. Nothing in that video meant anything to me so I guess they aren't targeting the non-fans and know they can milk the die-hards.

Overemotional Robot fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Sep 5, 2012

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I don't think I've seen this mentioned yet, so if you're interested in Expeditions: Conquistador, but not enough to donate, then hopefully the overland gameplay video below will sway you:

Overland gameplay trailer

And for those of you who missed them, the combat videos:

Combat, Part 1 (Daylight combat and basic tactics)
Combat, Part 2(Night-time combat, Part 1)
Combat, Part 3(Night-time combat, part 2)

Here's Rock Paper Shotgun's (fairly positive) take on it. A choice quote:

Rock Paper Shotgun posted:

Although it’s a fairly attractive turn-based tactical game already, the polish is all in the writing. I was genuinely surprised by how much I became invested in the characters and plotlines and it’s not just because the setting is impressively captured and less well-trodden than elven forests and dwarven mines. There’s a willingness to engage with the conflicts of the time and place, particularly the struggle between the strictures of faith and culture, and the freedom of being far from the watching eye of court and crown. This plays out in branching dialogues and missions that allow the player to define their own character as well as that of their followers.

An open-minded doctor might not be particularly happy if you gleefully massacre every native you meet, while a hunter with a belief in the superiority of his race and creed might be annoyed by your lead if you decide that all those who are different aren’t necessarily fit to be slaughtered. That said, the dialogue isn’t heavy-handed and moral choices don’t flash onto the screen. There’s no bar fluctuating between Cortes and ConquistaDora The Explorer. There are loads of well-written characters though and decisions made in conversation and elsewhere that have an impact on the flow of the campaign.

And once you're done, go here: Expeditions: Conquistador Kickstarter page and give them your money. Seriously, it's shaping up to be something really nice :)

EDIT: There's even a Steam Greenlight page for it!

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Sep 5, 2012

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Robotnik DDS posted:

Double Fine did even less, since they didn't even provide a context for their game of what to expect, beyond 'adventure game.' That's why I find the comparison interesting, since just like Double Fine, this is getting a huge burst of pledging just from the celebrity status and pedigrees of the designers.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

MrBims posted:

Double Fine did even less, since they didn't even provide a context for their game of what to expect, beyond 'adventure game.' That's why I find the comparison interesting, since just like Double Fine, this is getting a huge burst of pledging just from the celebrity status and pedigrees of the designers.
Double Fine is a game developer though, so at least the Kickstarter is in their ballpark, and you kinda know what to expect based on their library. Plus I imagine half the people that donated to Double Fine wasn't for the game but for The Tim Schafer Adventures video series. :allears:

Homestuck... well, even if you know what Homestuck is all about, you have literally no clue what could possibly come out of anything ever. :v: But I doubt anyone had any doubts about the power of rabid internet fanbases. My only question is where the hell do people even get this money, in just one day there's already way more high-tier backers than Double Fine ever had.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

SupSuper posted:

My only question is where the hell do people even get this money, in just one day there's already way more high-tier backers than Double Fine ever had.

What are you referring to here? Double Fine sold out the $10,000, $5,000, and $1,000 tiers. So far there's been two people taking the $5,000 Homestuck one.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Regy Rusty posted:

What are you referring to here? Double Fine sold out the $10,000, $5,000, and $1,000 tiers. So far there's been two people taking the $5,000 Homestuck one.

Did they sell out in the first day? Homestuck has only been up 21 hours. Though I want to believe that no one will pay $10k for their fantroll to show up for a single panel and die.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Regy Rusty posted:

It was just a rough comparison, Double Fine looks like it has around $500k from the high-tiers (over $100) total, while Homestuck has around that much in one day. I'm sure this might be wholly inaccurate and even out over time, my point was just how many people just have hundreds of bucks ready to drop at a moment's notice.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Rinkles posted:

No, there's a distinction you may be missing. They are only legally obligated to fulfill their backer reward tiers. If one or more of those tiers involves shipping the completed product, then yes, they are legally obligated to finish it and ship it. Most projects will be caught by this one, but some projects do no offer the actual product as a reward tier.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1965800643/solforge-digital-trading-card-game - SolForge is slowly churning its way through the last week, and has a deal going on now for backers at the $25 and $100 levels until tonight.

quote:

Free Starter Deck!

Everyone who pledges at least $25 by Wednesday at Midnight PST will get a Free Bonus Starter Deck at launch! This is in addition to the Starter Deck received at the $25 Tier, so you'll be able to start out with at least two faction starter decks!

Packs for PAX!

Backers who contribute at least $100 by Wednesday at Midnight PST will get an extra 10 Free Booster Packs at launch! This is in addition to the lower tier promotions, so you'll also get to take advantage of the Free Starter Deck we're offering at the $25 level! For those of you who have already pledged at least $100, you get the free packs too!

I actually ended up bumping my pledge up for this, I was able to take a look at it at PAX and was fairly impressed, although I'm still mildly irritated by Garfield's insistence on the 5x2 playing field. The basic game looks pretty interesting, and the fact that this plays a bit like Spectromancer but with better art and hopefully deckbuilding makes me happy. Also, like Spectromancer, I believe they're going to have a single player campaign, which is something I really miss in card games.

(YOU HEAR ME WOTC? GIVE US SHANDALAR 2012 YOU JERKS)

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

octoroon posted:

No, there's a distinction you may be missing. They are only legally obligated to fulfill their backer reward tiers. If one or more of those tiers involves shipping the completed product, then yes, they are legally obligated to finish it and ship it. Most projects will be caught by this one, but some projects do no offer the actual product as a reward tier.

The thing is, I feel like Kickstarter is actually muddying the waters further by conflating their terms of use with a legal agreement between funder and fundee.

quote:

Is a creator legally obligated to fulfill the promises of their project?

Yes. Kickstarter's Terms of Use require creators to fulfill all rewards of their project or refund any backer whose reward they do not or cannot fulfill. (This is what creators see before they launch.) We crafted these terms to create a legal requirement for creators to follow through on their projects, and to give backers a recourse if they don't. We hope that backers will consider using this provision only in cases where they feel that a creator has not made a good faith effort to complete the project and fulfill.

Which is really only a half truth. Of course you can complain or demand a refund or even initiate a lawsuit, but you've always been able to do that. But Kickstarter itself has no enforcement power, and the terms of use aren't between the backer and the company, but between Kickstarter and the company. Although that paragraph says "We crafted these terms to create a legal requirement for creators to follow through on their projects, and to give backers a recourse if they don't" what they're really saying is "we have written our agreements in such a way that we don't have any legal responsibility for them."

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Al! posted:

The thing is, I feel like Kickstarter is actually muddying the waters further by conflating their terms of use with a legal agreement between funder and fundee.

Which is really only a half truth. Of course you can complain or demand a refund or even initiate a lawsuit, but you've always been able to do that. But Kickstarter itself has no enforcement power, and the terms of use aren't between the backer and the company, but between Kickstarter and the company. Although that paragraph says "We crafted these terms to create a legal requirement for creators to follow through on their projects, and to give backers a recourse if they don't" what they're really saying is "we have written our agreements in such a way that we don't have any legal responsibility for them."

See, I actually agree with them though when it comes to the issues they point out for reasons they don't personally guarantee this - I think it's a valid point that they should just be there to facilitate the funding and not guarantee anything. If someone runs off with the money, it should be up to the backers to go after them for it.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Falcon2001 posted:

See, I actually agree with them though when it comes to the issues they point out for reasons they don't personally guarantee this - I think it's a valid point that they should just be there to facilitate the funding and not guarantee anything. If someone runs off with the money, it should be up to the backers to go after them for it.

I agree with them too, there's no way they should be responsible or else nobody would ever be able to do crowdfunding through a third party. But I feel like they're deliberately trying to confuse dumb people like the Ouya backers who think "well, if it doesn't pan out, Kickstarter told me I could ask for a refund and they'll have to give me one because of laws."

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Al! posted:

I agree with them too, there's no way they should be responsible or else nobody would ever be able to do crowdfunding through a third party. But I feel like they're deliberately trying to confuse dumb people like the Ouya backers who think "well, if it doesn't pan out, Kickstarter told me I could ask for a refund and they'll have to give me one because of laws."

Sure, I'll agree with that. Maybe not deliberately, but I'd be in favor of them having much more concrete terms and conditions that made it clear what their role is. I assume they feel they're already there, but it really should be clearer.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.
More ups and downs for Kontrabida. Snippets of music, backstory, minigames, a TV spot (found it) and art, buuuuut the guy doing the art has left. Not for anything exciting as far as my cursory searching could find; with a name like that he'd be hard to miss. It's silly, I'm not interested in the Ouya myself but I can't help but hope it works out just because these dorks seem so excited.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III
What's so special about this HomeStruck?

Broken Sword's stretch goals are pretty cool... I hope it hits the million mark.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.

Dragonrah posted:

What's so special about this Homestuck?

You either love it or you don't.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

It was pretty good until it became about billion-page chatlogs and the author trolling his reprehensible fans.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

No, I meant like is there some nastalgia thing going that caused the funding to skyrocket or do people just love the concept. I didn't see anything, but to be fair I only skimmed the Kickstarter.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Homesetuck is kinda wierd and fun but Im not going to throw money at him when it seems like he doesnt even know what the game will be himself.

e:

Dragonrah posted:

No, I meant like is there some nastalgia thing going that caused the funding to skyrocket or do people just love the concept. I didn't see anything, but to be fair I only skimmed the Kickstarter.

Its an ongoing, fairly popular webcomic with a very vocal and insane fanbase.

KoB fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 5, 2012

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Dragonrah posted:

People are loving obsessed with it. Andrew Hussie can churn out neat Flash animations like crazy but has a complete inability to tell a coherent story and yet for some reason his fans go loving ape poo poo over trolls powering up or reading giant chatlogs or whatever the gently caress is going on with that story. I thought his previous work started out strong but then it too went off the rails completely and I really don't understand the rabid fanbase he's amassed.

e: basically it has a following akin to My Little Pony and there are people willing to throw gobs of money at it for no particular reason other than they can't get enough of whatever is compelling about it

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Yodzilla posted:

People are loving obsessed with it. Andrew Hussie can churn out neat Flash animations like crazy but has a complete inability to tell a coherent story and yet for some reason his fans go loving ape poo poo over trolls powering up or reading giant chatlogs or whatever the gently caress is going on with that story. I thought his previous work started out strong but then it too went off the rails completely and I really don't understand the rabid fanbase he's amassed.

It's DBZ for redditors.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
That's a pretty good description actually.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Dragonrah posted:

Broken Sword's stretch goals are pretty cool... I hope it hits the million mark.

This went kinda unnoticed, but the $1m stretch goal is a green light for Beneath a Steel Sky 2. You can play the first one here for free: http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/beneath_a_steel_sky

Play it if you like adventure games! Throw money at Revolution if you like adventure games!

Edit: Poor grammar.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 5, 2012

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

GrandpaPants posted:

This went kinda unnoticed, but the $1m stretch goal is a green light for Beneath a Steel Sky 2, which you can play for free here: http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/beneath_a_steel_sky

Play it if you like adventure games! Throw money at Revolution if you like adventure games!

Oh man, I never realised that BaSS was by these guys.

Why have you been making sequels for Gabriel Knight-lite instead of this? :argh:

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.

Overemotional Robot posted:

Yeah, ponies are the only other users that I can think of who have more users with related avatars than Homestuck. Seems like it should be no problem for them to make that amount of money in a short amount of time.

Hasbro has been remarkably ... I don't know, open? To the fans thus far, but I'm willing to bet that a Kickstarter using any of their IPs would bring a legal hammer down in short order. If only because they're planning to sell their own games based on the IP and will brook no one butting in on their territory.

The same would be true for any of their franchises. Think of it in terms of someone starting a Kickstarter for a Transformers video game and the same would be true.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

GrandpaPants posted:

This went kinda unnoticed, but the $1m stretch goal is a green light for Beneath a Steel Sky 2, which you can play for free here: http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/beneath_a_steel_sky

Motherfucker. Sold.

edit: Thinking about it, that's some pretty meta/tenuous Kickstarting logic. Pledge money to a game that doesn't exist and you have to just hope is good, in order to kickstart a game that exists even less that you hope will be good several years from now.

Ehh. Motherfucker. Sold.

Fwoderwick fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 5, 2012

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Wait for it, I am about to go to an amazing place--

Homestuck seems kind of like the Insane Clown Posse of Internet web comics. Clearly creativity and decent production quality goes into it, and the people involved are aware that their fans are perceived as idiots, and because of/despite of that continue to ratchet things up to play to that idea.

The only question is when Gathering of the Juggatrolls will happen, I guess.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yodzilla posted:

That's a pretty good description actually.

It really isn't. The webcomic is an incomprehensible mess at times and this act is particularly poor in the sense of it being an incredibly slow-paced, dull mess revolving around revolting characters and dull dialog but it's really not anything like DBZ.

A more apt analogy would be video game webcomic ASOIAF, with pretty much all the bad parts of ASOIAF (pacing issues, a glut of characters, many of which are awful, (more recently) really creepy bullshit, terrible fanbase) as well as most of the good ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Occupation posted:

an incredibly slow-paced, dull mess revolving around revolting characters and dull dialog but it's really not anything like DBZ.

Sounds exactly like Dragonball Z to me.