Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Tenchrono posted:

Are drz-400s usually good in snow with knobby tires? Winter will be here in a few months in indiana and I'm trying to decide if I should wait till spring to get a new bike and get a truck now or if I'm able to get a bike now and not be stuck in the snow or tan off the road.

I've dirt biked in the snow and general knobbies aren't that great. You need studs or spikes. There are tons of different stud styles for varying conditions; it gets complicated. I abandoned the idea when I realized how crazy that'd be with other cars around.
http://www.aerostich.com/a-to-b-utilities/for-the-bike/tire-studs
woops 2x post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

spandexcajun posted:

Had just under 3000 miles.

So, I am called to craigslist once again and this time he is not a bitch.

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/3231827868.html

This looks like pretty much the bike for me, heavaly modified bigbore fancy carbed DRZ400 for a reasonable price. Also close by, might give the guy a call and see if I can look this afternoon. My questions is, is such a modified DRZ now just a ticking timebomb or still pretty reliable?

If all the mods on that one were done by Eddie Sisneros (DRZ guru on SMJ) like it says on the ad it'll be as reliable as stock.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

echomadman posted:

If all the mods on that one were done by Eddie Sisneros (DRZ guru on SMJ) like it says on the ad it'll be as reliable as stock.

Good to know it's quality work done by a guru. I'm going to go take a look tomorrow morning. I rode one DRZ SM, all stock at a local dealer months ago and was pretty un-impressed, but this should be a different bike from what I understand. The guy that owns it had a Husky 610sm that he bought to replace a DRZ, he said it blew up after 5000 miles, got the engine replaced under warranty then traded it in for this DRZ that he then had modded to hell and back. So, I guess we think alike! He said he does not miss the Husky at all and this is a little down on power but overall a much better bike. Trip report after I have a look. To be honest I have watched craigslist on and off for the last year for DRZ-SMs and everyone seems to want around 4 grand for them totally stock, so this is promising. Trying not to get my hopes up...

The Yamaha guy said he would email some pics, but I guess Im leaning away from the WR450 again due to maintenance. One forum post say it's nothing to worry about and they run forever if you just change the oil all the time, next post says ticking timebomb that will cost thousands (as a supermoto...)

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Gnaghi posted:

Good Huskys are out there, they just tend to be 450/510s instead of 610s, which are really rare. And while the 510s like to blow up regularly, the 450s seem to hold together pretty well (mine will self-destruct now that I typed that).

How maintainence heavy are the Husky 450s? Oil changes/valve checks in miles or hours? Due to their learner-legal status (yes, I'm aware how :stare: that is) they're pretty popular in my state, unlike the 610s.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

2ndclasscitizen posted:

How maintainence heavy are the Husky 450s? Oil changes/valve checks in miles or hours? Due to their learner-legal status (yes, I'm aware how :stare: that is) they're pretty popular in my state, unlike the 610s.

The maintenance schedule in the owners manual is in "race hours" I believe it was oil/valves every race, piston and rings every 10 hours, connecting rod every 15 hours.

I haven't kept anywhere near that schedule though.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

soy posted:

Ordered an SMH 10, pretty sold on the Hornet DS. I've had a Shoei RF1000 for about 3 years now and it was worth every penny. Just looking for a place to get a good deal on a 2XL now.

e- Actually now I'm sold on the Arai XD-4 because.. gently caress it, you only live once. Why doesn't anyone have 2XL for my jupiter head :smith:

ee- Ultimately went with a AGV AX-8 DS as it's the only one that comes in XXXL. My head is enormous. Also it looks like a top gun helmet, and it's not $600.

Did you try on the various helmets first? I wear a XXL XR1000 (same as the rf1000) but when i tried on a hornet ds in store i found the plain XL to fit fine. I couldn't get the XD3 to fit and i don't think its the right head shape.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

spandexcajun posted:

This looks like pretty much the bike for me, heavaly modified bigbore fancy carbed DRZ400 for a reasonable price. Also close by, might give the guy a call and see if I can look this afternoon. My questions is, is such a modified DRZ now just a ticking timebomb or still pretty reliable?

Ugh, a totally thrashed stock DRZ around here is more than he's asking for that bike. That looks like it's been taken care of, too.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

spandexcajun posted:

In that state of tune, that DRZ is probably just as strong as the WR450. Heavier, yes, but power-wise I'm sure its not far off.

If its really an Eddie Sisneros build it should last a long time assuming it was taken care of.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

In that state of tune, that DRZ is probably just as strong as the WR450. Heavier, yes, but power-wise I'm sure its not far off.

If its really an Eddie Sisneros build it should last a long time assuming it was taken care of.

That is what I thought. So, a big thing about sumos is power to weight ratio and the DRZ has always been "heavy' for a sumo. The difference between the WR450 and DRZ is about 40lbs wet (as far as I tell) and this one is juiced up so it should be good. I do worry that I will not think it's light enough since it's "only" 90 - 100lbs lighter then my sv, but at this point I'm sure I am over thinking it :)

I have no reason to doubt it's build by Eddie Sisneros (even though I have never heard of him before today) Looked up his shop and it's just 15 miles up the street from here. Maybe I got luck with this one.

WR450 guy got me some pics, it is a pretty bike:

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aargh posted:

Did you try on the various helmets first? I wear a XXL XR1000 (same as the rf1000) but when i tried on a hornet ds in store i found the plain XL to fit fine. I couldn't get the XD3 to fit and i don't think its the right head shape.

Ordered an AGV AX-8 evo which is supposed to have intermediate oval shape which usually fits me and went by their sizing chart. Only helmet that comes in my size that I wanted. Worst case, the place I bought from has a 30 day no hassle return deal.

Can't really go to a store and try stuff on if you have a massive head, they will usually have like one or two helmets at most in stock that even fit and really unlikely those will be DS helmets.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

soy posted:

Ordered an AGV AX-8 evo which is supposed to have intermediate oval shape which usually fits me and went by their sizing chart. Only helmet that comes in my size that I wanted. Worst case, the place I bought from has a 30 day no hassle return deal.

Can't really go to a store and try stuff on if you have a massive head, they will usually have like one or two helmets at most in stock that even fit and really unlikely those will be DS helmets.

Fair call. I must have been lucky as the store i went in had up to XXL Hornets and XD3's. I think they had the AGV but they just didn't fit me at all.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Zool posted:

The maintenance schedule in the owners manual is in "race hours" I believe it was oil/valves every race, piston and rings every 10 hours, connecting rod every 15 hours.

I haven't kept anywhere near that schedule though.

There are two different maintenance schedules though. The hours one is only "for competition use with full power engine". Regular street use with "limited power engine" is only 3000 mile oil changes and 6000 mile valve checks. Not sure where a full-power street use Husky would fall, but a lot of street riders seem to like 300-500 miles for oil and 1000 miles for valves.

I have to wonder why I couldn't rebuild the motor myself though. It seems like even mechanically proficient riders won't touch a race-ready 450, like there's some magic to it that only real engine builders can work out. There is even a step by step guide for tear-down and assembly.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Are the street models sold with a restrictor or softer engine maps or similar? Or are the "full power engines" modified from the street version?

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Yeah just setup to run lean from the factory. Mine is an 06, which is carbureted so it has leaner jets and needle. It's a big difference in power once you rejet. There is also a throttle stop and of course a restrictive exhaust.

Later models are fuel injected so they run a leaner map with an oxygen sensor.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

spandexcajun posted:

That is what I thought. So, a big thing about sumos is power to weight ratio and the DRZ has always been "heavy' for a sumo. The difference between the WR450 and DRZ is about 40lbs wet (as far as I tell) and this one is juiced up so it should be good. I do worry that I will not think it's light enough since it's "only" 90 - 100lbs lighter then my sv, but at this point I'm sure I am over thinking it :)

I have no reason to doubt it's build by Eddie Sisneros (even though I have never heard of him before today) Looked up his shop and it's just 15 miles up the street from here. Maybe I got luck with this one.

I wouldnt worry too much about the weight unless you plan to be hitting tabletops and huge whoops with it. If its going to be mostly a streetbike and a light trail bike, that extra 40 lbs disappears over 5 mph.

Eddie is the man in the DRZ world. He knows the most about them, and builds the most powerful, reliable, streetable DRZ's that money can buy. Tons of people send their bikes or just engines to him, so I wouldnt doubt that he built it either.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib
The DRZ was all it was supposed to be. In good shape, well taken care of and all that. But, well when I rode it I just was not that taken. I was not sure what to think. It was very loud, I guess that was off-putting but that's not what was bothering me. On the way home I decided that I guess it just did not have the magic I was looking for. Not sure what was missing but somehow the spark was not catching.

I sort of tabled the idea of a second bike / sumo in general after that, perhaps it was that I really like my SV650 and the DRZ would never be an adequate replacement.

Fast forward a few hours and WR guy text'ed me. I was not really thinking about bothering to look but had a free evening so what the hell, one more try. Three bikes, three days. Why not.

Wow! This must be what sumo is all about. I will not lie, love at first site. Who ever converted the WR did a great job. It was not the current owner, he bought it from a shop in Grand Junction just last month and has to sell it along with another bike to help his family who's business is going under or some such sob story. I liked this bike way to much before I rode it, and after I rode it I was quite taken. It is everything the DRZ is not. Absurdly fast, the throttle was snappy as a blah blah blah... (insert a bunch of Jeremy Clarkson metaphors here) I love this bike.

The bad:

Something wrong with the front disk, not sure what, it does not feel wrapped but, "sticky" on some parts. Never felt something like this but I think its minor

A little stutter at one RPM range, again, minor. Probably needs Jets cleaned or perhaps rejeted, think I could fix it or at least pay a shop a few hundred to tune it.

Guy before me how test rode it broke the tail light assembly, and did not tell the owner, he olny found out after the guy left, so no tail lights rear turn signals. To bad, the unit looked like it was nice before it was crushed.

Suspension. I am pretty sure it stock dirtbike set up, I imagine if I got it this would be the most expensive fix. I think new springs, valves, oil etc... I think it could wait though, not something that makes the bike unridable

Spedo cluster was not working, it powered on but was not hooked up.

No key? I guess you have to add an ignition key, otherwize anyone can just come start and take the bike!

Probably some other stuff I can't think of

The good:

Twist wrist, holy poo poo! Do I need anything else?

Need to sleep on this and collect my thoughts. I feel like I should by this bike, I don't think I would miss my SV650 at all if I had this. Have not had anything like this feeling on any of the other candidates. $1000 topend rebuilds every few years aren't that bad....

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Can any of you guys help me locate a wiring diagram for the 05 625 SMC? I'm having a hard time figuring out where the PO cut out the ignition lock and what he shorted together to make it keyless. I have the owner's manual and a printout of the LC4 service manual, but neither of those seem to have what I'm looking for.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib
Logic and reason won the day. I decided to get the DRZ.

gently caress no, WR450 is on the way!!!

Should have the deal done in 2 - 3 days. I expect I will have it go right to a shop to sort the carb and jetting, I would rather pay a pro and be ready to ride then dick around for days weeks trying to get it right myself.

Sorry if I sound half retarded, something about these bike makes my brain turn mushy. I am a pretty slow conservative all around rider, ATGATT, I don't often speed, safety first and all that. I've been riding for 5 years or so all together, spread out over the last 15. MSF and an intermeedeate course, so don't think I am going to kill myself with a new sumo. But I won't lie, I want to learn to pull a those long rear end wheelies and I stoppy my SV all the time so I think some slow speed stunting would be cool.

So happy, can't wait.

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010
Welp, I did it. http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/977822-2006-ktm-626-smc-in-so-cal-agoura-hills/

Haven't had the chance to take some any pictures of my own because I've been too busy riding to do anything else.

First thoughts? Holy poo poo TOORRRQQUUEE!
I thought a liter bike had a lot of pull, this is a whole different world. I've never felt anything like it, I thought my arms were going to be ripped from their sockets with my hands death gripping the handlebars.

Yesterday I rode it for 5 hours straight after I bought it and was still sort of intimidated when I got on it this morning, I'm not going to lie. There's so much low and mid-range that it felt like a freight train pulling away from me. It took me about another 2 before I really felt like I was starting to feel comfortable but as soon as I took it to the best canyon I could think of it felt right at home.

It's definitely not a cruising bike, it's fine for putting around on your way to a destination but one thing's for certain. Supermotos are meant to be flogged in a canyon. They're so light and fast they just fall into and glide through whatever corner you're focusing on, it's surreal. Turn after turn they become distant memories as you arrive and fly through the next one. Rarely having to brake or slow down it seems like all you have to do is pick a line and your will be done.

I feel like this bike has so much to teach it's unreal and and I'm already enjoying it more than I've ever enjoyed anything else before. I feel like I'm learning a whole different side to motorcycling and I'm looking forward to what it has to teach me. This is pure motorcycle happiness.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib

Probably Hates You posted:

Welp, I did it... This is pure motorcycle happiness.

That is a very nice looking bike, you sound happy. Me thinks I made a good decision getting into this sumo thing.

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010
gently caress yeah, I just got done reading your posts and it definitely sounds like you did. I'd be willing to put money on you being absolutely in love with that WR by the sound of things. I felt pretty much the same way you do, to the point where I was excited at nights going to sleep(see, right now.)

I won't lie, wheelies and stoppies are always on the back of my mind but it's probably a good thing I'm not good enough to do either competently right now :v:.

Also, like Mr. Jim said, don't worry about the weight at all. I sort of had second thoughts about the 625 because there are a few slightly more high-strung sumos out there for a bit more that weigh 50lbs less. Really, coming from a sportbike the difference in weight is massive. Sumpermotos seem to be really balanced and the front end is really light. It'll steer in to wherever you point it with very little effort. I'm sure you've realized most of this since you've already ridden it and 2 others the past few days but it'll really sink in your first trip to the twisties.

What are the maintenance schedules like on the 450? Do you know?

quote:

I don't think I would miss my SV650 at all if I had this.

Hold on to your SV650. You're going to notice that supermotos, especially around that size SUCK for the freeways unless geared to the point of uselessness. Also, if you were ever uncomfortable on your SV you're going to be crying for that back if you use the WR for any long trips, which is another good reason to keep it around.

EDIT:

MetaJew posted:

Can any of you guys help me locate a wiring diagram for the 05 625 SMC? I'm having a hard time figuring out where the PO cut out the ignition lock and what he shorted together to make it keyless. I have the owner's manual and a printout of the LC4 service manual, but neither of those seem to have what I'm looking for.

I'll have to take a look at some of the documents the PO gave me when I bought the bike but I believe a wiring diagram was included in the files. I'll take a look for you tomorrow evening and post what I find out.

BaKESAL3 fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Sep 5, 2012

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Thanks! I may not have looked hard enough, but since the bike is at my brother's place I can't go tinker with it, as easily, whenever I have some free time. I'll try to take a look through my manuals again when I have a spare moment.

Great looking bike, btw!

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Well, I put the quiet core in my FMF Ti4. No change whatsoever. 93db before and after. The core that was in there looked about the same diameter as the new one with just a little different flaring, so maybe I already had an earlier revision quiet core.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea

This is pure motorcycle happiness.

I kinda want to frame this post and hang it in my apartment somewhere.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Also, like Mr. Jim said, don't worry about the weight at all. I sort of had second thoughts about the 625 because there are a few slightly more high-strung sumos out there for a bit more that weigh 50lbs less. Really, coming from a sportbike the difference in weight is massive.

This, when you hear people whining about weight in a supermoto, they're really just splitting hairs. If you're coming from anything that isnt a supermoto, any supermoto is going to feel feather light

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Hey guys, been on a bit of a hiatus. I haven't been home and had access to my bike in a while. Now I'm moving back to my hometown and I'll be riding very frequently. I have a 2007 KTM 690 SM.

I love my bike but am entertaining the idea of something new/different. I've ridden my friends 04? KTM 625 SMC and I absolutely loved it. The rattle, the backfiring, and just how much more zippy it seemed to be in the low-end. It was extensively modded.

Now, I'll be doing a fair amount of commuting (suburbs) and possible a lot of daily highway travel about 20-30 miles one way. For that reason I like the suspension/comfort of my bike, smoothe ride, and 6th gear. Also being able to ride two-up has it's benefits.

I've been thinking about a 2008-2009 KTM 690 SMC. They're quite expensive though and not dropping much in price. I love sumos but I don't like the idea of spending $7k+ on a bike that I'll probably drop and plan on beating up and going off road. I rarely see them in the $6k price range. I love KTMs but they're just so expensive. In the end i'll probably just pony up the cash for a newer 690 SMC. 2010+ are definitely out since they're still $9k+ What do you guys think? As far as a good highway fuel injected sumo goes with a 6th gear what are my options?

Sometimes I think about getting another 2000-2003 GSX-R 750 for highway use and using the sumo to putt around town but I know that's asking for trouble.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Hey I will gladly trade you my R6 for that old, outdated 690. I mean, what a piece of garbage bike. You'll be much happier on a SS bike again.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wait, you have an 07 690 and youre thinking about getting an 08?

Am I missing something here?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

From what I understand the SMC is more sumo orientated, lighter, and more HP? While the SM is more street orientated. I love zipping around like a hooligan. And wiluld definitely do more dirt time if I had a smc.

And I always get poo poo for this but it's kinda ugly.

Am I coming off as a pompous rear end or what?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

The SMC is a big improvement over the SM, if you can trade up for cheap, it's worth it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Was waiting for you to show up, Spiff.

Not to be a dick to the other guys but realize the 2007 SM was the ugly duckling butch model and NOT an SMC. It was the only year they made it.

Apparently in 2008 they made the SM-R?

I have some cosmetic damage from being backed into and knocked over. It seems most 2007 690 SMs go for around $5,000. I'll probably try to sell it for $4,500 and then see if I can't find an SMC for $6,000 ish. Still a lot for a sumo :xd:

I'm hoping I can find a beat up one for cheaper. We'll see.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Those exhaust cans look like they'd be more at home on big rig.

Does KTM have some aversion to single-sided exhausts?

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Sep 6, 2012

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

But yeah that exhaust is pretty bad. I have the leo vince one which probably is robbing me of HP

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

If you replace the exhaust on the SM you can save a lot of weight.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

If you want to know anything other than why you should get a DRZ instead, feel free to message or IM me.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MetaJew posted:

Those exhaust cans look like they'd be more at home on big rig.

Does KTM have some aversion to single-sided exhausts?

Those exhausts are really cool in concept, but the execution was kinda meh.

Potato Sheriff
Aug 7, 2004

I wouldn't ever set out to hurt anyone deliberately unless it was, you know, important - like a league game or something.
I think I am going to try to pick up a DRZ SM this weekend for my first bike. It's an 05 with about 5k miles, basically stock other than an Acerbis headlight and super clean. I'm stoked. Anything I should check for in particular? He still rides it everyday to work, but he is getting shipped off to the military soon and is getting rid of it. That's his story anyway.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Gah, stop being so expensive KTMs.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/mcy/3252581926.html

Even for $7,000 I don't think I would.

What's up with the Husqvarna's? The 610 especially? High maintenance? I know the main appeal of the newer KTMs is the long maintenance intervals.

Spiff can the 2008+ SMC ride two up?

I see it here. I assume it's something you have to buy separate?

http://media.photobucket.com/image/recent/CCLINTON33/2008KTM690SMC7-4-08013.jpg

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Sep 7, 2012

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Potato Sheriff posted:

I think I am going to try to pick up a DRZ SM this weekend for my first bike. It's an 05 with about 5k miles, basically stock other than an Acerbis headlight and super clean. I'm stoked. Anything I should check for in particular? He still rides it everyday to work, but he is getting shipped off to the military soon and is getting rid of it. That's his story anyway.

So many "soldiers getting shipped overseas" on craigslist. It's such a common story that I'd be careful at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Sheriff
Aug 7, 2004

I wouldn't ever set out to hurt anyone deliberately unless it was, you know, important - like a league game or something.

eddiewalker posted:

So many "soldiers getting shipped overseas" on craigslist. It's such a common story that I'd be careful at least.

He sent a ton of up close pictures which included where the little scrapes were, and texted me over the course of a few hours. It seems legit enough I think.

I wish these bikes were more common. There are a lot of DRZ400S's but hardly no SM's. Is it that much different of a ride? Is the suspension set up better for street travel? I would be doing 95% road travel. I assume I could buy better street tires for the S series, but would maybe need different wheels to get a 'pure' street tire like the Pilots.

• Locked thread