Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Citizen Rat posted:

I'm convinced most people don't actually want dogs. They want cats in a dog shaped body.

I don't think people even want cats but instead they just want fluffy throw pillows that purr at them. If tribbles were real everyone would get them instead.

And then would yell at them for shedding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

People frequently anger me. But holy god does the entire "easy dog" idea (about any breed, really) activate DOG NERD!! in me like nothing else.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Haha, I'm pretty sure I freaked everyone else in the lobby of the vet this morning when I went to pick up my crazy rear end crazy dog. He ran straight for the front door, turned around, jumped on me to say high, then struggled to get back to the door a few times. I heard a few "oh my!"s from a lady with a cat in her carrier.

I also suspect they might have fed Koji some of their Science Diet kibble since I had packed extra baggies of food for him and he was all out, and now that he is home, he has paint peeling farts. I'm hoping it's just stress toots and not chicken farts because that will be fun to clean up when I need to walk him later...

But yeah, I'd take my rear end in a top hat over any needy, biddable dog any day. I've even been talking to the breeders, telling them I like my dogs confident and aloof. I think they like that answer. :3:

Also also, the breeder who might have a puppy for me keeps posting the cutest little black potato pictures. They are 12 days old today and I can't wait for them to open their eyes and become terrors. Is it bad I'm also hoping the girl ends up too flashy so she doesn't go to a show home? :ohdear:

ETA: :black101:

not Koji

paisleyfox fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 4, 2012

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Having a dog with a docked tail is something I never considered as a positive, but when they insist on lying beneath your office chair.. :D

"Holy poo poo! Did you see that keyboard attack me from off that workbench? I was just minding my own business, I swear!"

Citizen Rat posted:

I'm convinced most people don't actually want dogs. They want cats in a dog shaped body.
I have a cat in a dog's body. Sits on my lap while I'm typing and then moves up onto the keyboard when I ignore her, refuses to play with anything I buy for her, disdains almost all food, sleeps on the bed.. :ohdear:

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 4, 2012

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.
I also very frequently get the "you're so lucky to have such good dogs!" spiel. I just laugh. They have no idea the trouble my dogs can and have caused.

My favorite was when we were visiting my mom and she went to give my dogs treats, and they all gathered around and sat perfectly still waiting for her to give them the treats. She got all excited about it and asked, "How do they know to do that?" I didn't know what she meant at first because I thought "I trained them to sit and wait politely for food" was way too simple of an answer and she had to be asking about something else. Nope, that's what she meant.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

2tomorrow posted:

I also very frequently get the "you're so lucky to have such good dogs!" spiel. I just laugh. They have no idea the trouble my dogs can and have caused.

My favorite was when we were visiting my mom and she went to give my dogs treats, and they all gathered around and sat perfectly still waiting for her to give them the treats. She got all excited about it and asked, "How do they know to do that?" I didn't know what she meant at first because I thought "I trained them to sit and wait politely for food" was way too simple of an answer and she had to be asking about something else. Nope, that's what she meant.

"Bailey's so sweet!"

And by and in large he is. But he's also the dog who emits ear piercing whines when I ignore him (because you eat at 5:30 or 6 not 4:30), puts his cold nose either on my butt or the back of my knees to guide me to his food, will immediately lay on my freshly made bed, will not poop if it has rained recently or the grass is dewy, and plays favorites with my dad and my boyfriend (because they never tell him to do very much and when they do he acts so pathetic and sad they give up).

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
I don't know what you dweebs are talking about with your ~good dogs,~ all I ever get is "WHAT DO YOU MEAN I CAN'T LET MY DOG RUN UP TO YOUR DOG? MAYBE YOU SHOULD TRY SOCIALIZING HIM. mAYBE YOU SHOULD TRY TRAINING YOUR DOG IF HE CAN'T GET ALONG WITH OTHER DOGS. MAYBE YOU SHOULD TRAIN HIM TO PLAY NICE. WHY DON'T YOU TRAIN HIM." While he sits there, perfectly still, enduring their dog mauling his face and squealing and covering him with slobber while patiently waiting for me to peel Intruder Dog off of him.

The few times I've gotten into it, I have learned that 1.) Teaching him to ignore/leave other dogs in public = ignoring the "problem" of dog aggression and 2.) I need to train him to like other dogs or I am Playing With A Loaded Gun. 3.) Claiming that you can not train out his dog aggression = I have simply not read enough Cesar Milan.

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

I would be delighted if the idiots around here with dog aggressive dogs had dogs as well trained as Moses. Maybe then I wouldn't be kicking dogs in the face as often as I end up doing.

It's always labs for some reason.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Superconsndar posted:

The few times I've gotten into it, I have learned that 1.) Teaching him to ignore/leave other dogs in public = ignoring the "problem" of dog aggression and 2.) I need to train him to like other dogs or I am Playing With A Loaded Gun. 3.) Claiming that you can not train out his dog aggression = I have simply not read enough Cesar Milan.
Oh the joys of owning a dog that does not love everyone and everything unthinkingly.

The looks you get when someone asks if your dog is "friendly" and you say no are pretty special. My dog is lying at my feet very patiently even though he would really like to be anywhere but where your dog is, no you can not let your little growling hellion come over to say hi. This does not make him bad or abused or whatever it is you are thinking while you are sneering at me. Thanks for asking though!

Its worse with kids though. They usually ask as they are running screaming towards your dog. Why do you need to bring an entire herd of kids to the vet with you? All of the animals there are stressed and getting mobbed by children is not going to be well received by even the best of them. When I say the kid can't pet my dog and stand in front of him to block the onslaught it's for your child's safety! I'm not just being a bitch for shits and giggles.

Pfox why are you not sharing potential puppy potato pictures with us? Potato puppies are so adorable before they become real puppies and start being assholes.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Citizen Rat posted:

I would be delighted if the idiots around here with dog aggressive dogs had dogs as well trained as Moses. Maybe then I wouldn't be kicking dogs in the face as often as I end up doing.

And goldens.

"MY DOG IS NICE WHY ISN'T YOURS?"

Other dog is off leash, in Bailey's face, ignoring first subtle, then more drastic cues to gently caress off. If Bailey's off leash too, he's usually pretty tolerant and will sit by me and let me arbitrate disputes.

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

Sitka is perfectly chill and actually fine with meeting dogs. But the dog aggressive dogs around here will charge other dogs snarling and snapping. None of them do what Super describes Moses doing, which is sitting and waiting for their owner to make the Other Dog go away.

Sitka's been bit before and has a scar on one eye because I wasn't fast enough to respond. These days I don't even wait. If I see a dog charging us I kick them. Nice thing about being able to squat twice my own body weight is that I can kick pretty damned hard.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Citizen Rat posted:

But they just want to play! :buddy:

Question: What is the point of calling me to ask me a dog related question, only to immediately get defensive at the answer- then hang up, look up the subject on wikipedia, and call me back to repeat back to me exactly what I said when you called, as if you were owning me with this "new" information?

:geno: "Yes, that's what I just said when you called, remember?"

;-* "No, I dunno what you said. Nah, didn't hear that. Anyway, wikipedia says it's *thing you just said*."

:geno: "okay well anyway, yes it's that however, that fact isn't relevant to what you're getting at because your dog is-"

;-* "ALL I'M TELLING YOU IS WHAT WIKIPEDIA SAYS. I DON'T NEED A DISSERTATION ON WHY YOU KNOW SO MUCH MORE THAN EVERYONE ELSE. GOD, THIS IS WHY I DON'T ASK YOU DOG QUESTIONS. *click*"

............Bitch, you were the one who called me! Both times. :suicide:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

wtftastic posted:

"Bailey's so sweet!"

And by and in large he is. But he's also the dog who emits ear piercing whines when I ignore him (because you eat at 5:30 or 6 not 4:30), puts his cold nose either on my butt or the back of my knees to guide me to his food, will immediately lay on my freshly made bed, will not poop if it has rained recently or the grass is dewy, and plays favorites with my dad and my boyfriend (because they never tell him to do very much and when they do he acts so pathetic and sad they give up).
For Labor Day I took Devo up a local hiking trail, and there were retired people, small children, and parents with babies in packs, all hiking on a trail which is often nothing but slanted dock face and boulders, all covered in fine silt and poison oak.

"But my dog is so friendly, it doesn't need a leash!" *Their dog sniffs crotch of elderly woman and some 5 year old children who are standing distracted, near a 10 feet drop, and then rushes into the face of my dog, between the legs of several people* :arghfist::clint:

There's a really nice lady at my work who's terrified of dogs because of an attack she experienced while jogging, and some people in my office let their dogs roam around freely, too. :(

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Sep 5, 2012

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

So that's how you set up a boxer so it doesn't want to walk around with the lead in its mouth like a giant clown. She's so pretty in her pink harness!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Shifty Pony posted:

So that's how you set up a boxer so it doesn't want to walk around with the lead in its mouth like a giant clown. She's so pretty in her pink harness!
When I picked her up, her throat was totally rubbed bare from the cheap collar she was wearing, with some scabby spots as well. I hoped that a pink harness would decrease dog-aversion from random people (and stop me from having to get annoyed at people who can't tell she's female by her big recently-chewed-on nipples,) who might consider a burly little dog who huffs and chuffs and snorts, as a threat.

I would like to try one of those harnesses that pull from the side of the front, although she's so short that I think it would increase the amount of time she got tangled up treading on it.

Devo's small enough (chubby aussie cattle dog size?) that even if she goes apeshit, with the harness she just sort of throws herself upward into the air in an arc, before she gets much weight behind it, unlike the collar which she could throw her shoulders and forelegs into.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Sep 5, 2012

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Pfox why are you not sharing potential puppy potato pictures with us? Potato puppies are so adorable before they become real puppies and start being assholes.

Because I'm afraid of jynxing it. :ohdear:

But I guess I can share one or two... First litter from mom, dad is a champion and has sired some of the puppy cam pups. It's an amazing pairing that produced a boy and a girl, both black and tans which surprised everyone (they expected maybe sesames. Also mom looked bigger than just having a two puppy load, she is full of surprises!)

5 days (boy left, girl right)

Boy front, girl back

12 days girl

12 days boy

The boy does have better markings than the girl right now (easier to see in some other pictures) but she could grow into them and they could look less bright/flashy. Boy is going to a breeder on the east coast, the girl is up for debate as she sees her grow. I might get to meet them at 7 weeks at the Shiba National, too. :3:

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

You have to train harder to make it to nationals.
My husband and I are adopting a cat tomorrow!! This is her picture from the adoption site:

We're having trouble coming up with a good name for her. Suggestions welcome! Personally, I'd like something that lovingly references the discoloration of her left eye, but it's definitely not mandatory.

Edit: NEVERMIND! I think we're officially naming her Turanga Leela. Hubby seems down with it.

uberwekkness fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Sep 5, 2012

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Pardalis posted:

Shadow is just a black shepherd/lab mutt, fwiw. I see *no* collie at all.

um pft, i think you mean just a purebred collie/greyhound mix :nyd:

In other news, HERE, PI, HAVE PICTURES!

http://photobucket.com/pigoonmeet

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Holy moly that is a lot of animals. That seems like it would be overwhelming after about 20 minutes haha.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
It really wasn't that bad. :3: For the most part all the dogs just hung out and chilled (though Nori and Seir would playfight a lot).

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

So, as if Sheila's not already paranoid enough from a combination of SCARY SOUNDS (New flooring going in, oxygen machines/medical equipment, band practices, pinball machines,loud movies), today my sister got a cat-sized ZOIDS robot model-thing, and when she assembles it, will be sending it after Sheila.

And I'll be filming it and laughing because I am a terrible, awful person.

Baron Von Face
Sep 6, 2006
who stole my steaks?

uberwekkness posted:

Edit: NEVERMIND! I think we're officially naming her Turanga Leela. Hubby seems down with it.

That cat looks like it guides you on quests of mystery and wisdom.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Skizzles posted:

Aaaaa look at all the puppies :neckbeard: Man I wish my dogs were more social (and I lived in Ohio) so I could join you all :(

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

Skizzles posted:

um pft, i think you mean just a purebred collie/greyhound mix :nyd:

Haha oh god does Diaz have this permanent :catstare: face whenever she does anything?

Hnnng goddamn dogs are adorable. :3:

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Baron Von Face posted:

That cat looks like it guides you on quests of mystery and wisdom.

Merlin. Merlin is a good name.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Fraction posted:

Aaaaa look at all the puppies :neckbeard: Man I wish my dogs were more social (and I lived in Ohio) so I could join you all :(

We all need to move up that way. Though I think a giant PI gathering with all the dog sperg might actually destroy some small fragment of space and time.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Fraction posted:

never wish you lived in ohio.

it's not worth it.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Topoisomerase posted:

never wish you lived in ohio.

it's not worth it.

i live in england right now though

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

I have a couple photos from recent performance thingers I've been doing with Cohen (and the Chihuahua), and I decided that instead of doing work I'd just post them instead. So here ya go. Not the best quality, but I like 'em.

Cohen can hold a "sit pretty" for, like, ever.

Out of focus, happy dog running out of a tunnel.

Dumb dog doesn't know how to catch a dumb frisbee.

This one is dark, but I like it. She's jumping pretty high for a dog her size. She didn't knock a bar.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Fraction posted:

i live in england right now though

The last time I was in England I had a 8 year old girl telling me she wanted to move to Detroit when she got older and another tween girl tell me I was lucky I lived in the US because that's where some guy from Twilight lives, as if rural Ohio is where all the big celebs hang out. You silly brits :3:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

I'm uh... Just going to leave this here...

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

:haw: I can't wait for you to get a potato! I like the girl's coloring more, I hope she's not show quality, either. :3: Did you say if that was the breeder in Ohio? :iamafag:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Nah, it's not Pam, it's a breeder from Tennessee. :)

Time will tell, though! There are a few other people who could be called for her, too, but I think I have a decent foot in the door. If not, I get to say hey to puppies and wait for the next litter from someone else, most likely, just due to timing. :3:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Instant Jellyfish posted:

The last time I was in England I had a 8 year old girl telling me she wanted to move to Detroit when she got older and another tween girl tell me I was lucky I lived in the US because that's where some guy from Twilight lives, as if rural Ohio is where all the big celebs hang out. You silly brits :3:

:shobon: I just want to join in the PI goonmeets! I'm pretty sure there's a higher chance of meeting a celeb in rural Ohio than anywhere outside of a major city in England though.

a life less posted:

I have a couple photos from recent performance thingers I've been doing with Cohen (and the Chihuahua), and I decided that instead of doing work I'd just post them instead. So here ya go. Not the best quality, but I like 'em.

Awesome photos of your awesome dog :3:

e:
Has everyone seen the comic by Mjaulm on the thread in which Dabbo and A Sleepy Budgie got Dabbo's cat out of a crappy situation? It's pretty awesome.

Fraction fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Sep 5, 2012

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

So an Amazing Thing has happened. My trainer who is boarding Psyche right now did some barrier work to see how Psyche would react to her other dogs while everyone was off-leash and Psyche did so well that by Monday (day 4 of boarding), she was able to be free in the house with everyone, dogs, people, everyone.

This is so exciting. I always knew that Psyche's problems started as leash-reactivity, but it was always just so severe (esp. with dogs) that I assumed it went straight past that to just general I-hate-everyone anxiety/reactivity/aggression. We never did have a good way to test her off-leash with others safely, so we just didn't.

I know she's not 'cured' and will still need a lot of work, but I'm so happy to know that her anxieties are still situational and haven't just expanded to encompass every situation ever, if that makes any sense. Plus, it must mean she's feeling pretty good at the boarding place, otherwise she'd be a nervous wreck and not be making any progress. Yay puppy! :3:

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.

Fraction posted:

e:
Has everyone seen the comic by Mjaulm on the thread in which Dabbo and A Sleepy Budgie got Dabbo's cat out of a crappy situation? It's pretty awesome.

Like actually tearing up a little right now because this is so amazing. Budgie and Dabbo ARE heroes. I love Sammy's faces so much. :3:

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Anyone else's dogs have violent dreams? Every time Max goes to sleep his legs are twitching all over the place, he barks in his sleep (hardly ever barks when awake) and the other night he woke up screaming, which scared the poo poo out of us.

He's his normal happy self when he's awake, but the poor dog is having nightmares :( I wish I could help the poor little guy.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

My dog has nightmares all the time. Lots of twitches and whines and loud sudden noises. He's hard to wake up when he's acting like that, but eventually it just goes away. I wish I knew how to solve it, he looks so upset. :(

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.

Fraction posted:

It also lead to this awesome new smiley :radcat:

Kiri koli posted:

I know she's not 'cured' and will still need a lot of work, but I'm so happy to know that her anxieties are still situational and haven't just expanded to encompass every situation ever, if that makes any sense. Plus, it must mean she's feeling pretty good at the boarding place, otherwise she'd be a nervous wreck and not be making any progress. Yay puppy! :3:

Yay Psyche! It makes total sense and that has to be a big relief for you.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Anyone else's dogs have violent dreams? Every time Max goes to sleep his legs are twitching all over the place, he barks in his sleep (hardly ever barks when awake) and the other night he woke up screaming, which scared the poo poo out of us.

He's his normal happy self when he's awake, but the poor dog is having nightmares :( I wish I could help the poor little guy.

George is always dreaming and sometimes they seem to be nightmares too. :smith: If he wakes me up with one I move so I'm touching him a little and he usually stops without seeming to wake up.

Though the other night he was apparently having a very good dream because he woke me up by thumping his tail in my face at 2 AM. He seemed very excited about whatever it was he was dreaming about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Do you think animals can tell the difference between dreaming and being awake?

• Locked thread