Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.

ReindeerF posted:

No poo poo? They had settled on about the fifth one when I was there and it was still all fenced off - that was a couple of months ago. The proposed design looked like what you mention (hideous and stupid). It was a great patio cafe area a few years ago, but their rampant attempts to modernize poo poo that doesn't need modernizing (as opposed to infrastructure and so on) have ruined it :(
Yeah, that's what I hear. My friend lives up there and married a Laos woman. He's an economist by training and a pretty smart guy. Reads and speaks the language. He bought some property 15m outside town a year back and it's worth about double now. Fifteen minutes outside VIENTIANE (i.e. the middle of nowhere). What you allude to is exactly what's happening. Chinese capital fleeing China and Laos people getting the trickle down by selling off their property. Why can't they just marry into the place like they did in Thailand and take it over wholesale ^__^

Insert politically charged Mahathir rant here.

EDIT: Trivia - Laos has the smallest publicly traded stock exchange in the world. It has like 1,2 or 3 issues on it, I forget, and volume is like 13 shares a day or something tiny, heh. My friend heard another friend (a banker we know) bragging about how tough it was to get licensed to trade on it, so he went down and did it in an afternoon, making him one of the only Western licensed traders on the Laos stock exchange. I seriously thought about doing it too so I could hang the license up somewhere. Nice conversation piece.

Laos stock exchange, heh. My Thai broker made a big deal of being able to trade there with one issue, the electric company. :shepface:

They send me some research for a few months and then it stopped. When an exchange has only a few issues you are better off playing dice in the alley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, not a lot of money being made there, heh. The money here can be made by investing with the right frontier/developing market fund firms that operate, but with so many sketchy outfits in town it's not something I'd advise most people back home to look into (not that many of them will take American clients anyway, for that matter). Would be kind of a funny thing to offer as a tourism service - "Leave Laos as a licensed broker on the world's smallest public stock exchange!"

The big news recently on the Cambodian exchange was the country's first IPO, the water utility, which was done primarily for the PR and experience value of someone there having done an IPO and being able to say that they had done an IPO, heh.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
After having hosted, met and sat near a number of Western tourists of the above-backpacker-price-range variety, I can offer some tips to avoid looking like an idiot to those of us who live here:
  • Do not express horror at the children riding on motorbikes without helmets (especially while riding through the slums of Klong Toei in an air conditioned taxi). It is okay to laugh at how much poo poo Cambodians can fit on a motorbike, though.
  • Do not speak with imagined authority on when to eat the ice, whether you're eating the ice or when and where it's "safe" to eat the ice. Just eat the loving ice. Same for fruit and other poo poo. It's Thailand and you're going to brag about not eating things?
  • Do not order only things that come in a sealed bottle and do not make it a point to tell the waitress poo poo like, "Make sure not to open it!" unless you're in some skeezy club where you might get date rape-drugged. The waiter at the roadside restaurant is not looking to drug and kill you.
  • Do not tell people how much you love "chicken with basil" and do not order it at every meal. Yes, everyone eats it, but we eat it from 30 Baht street stalls because it's a like a working class staple food. We don't go to the fanciest restaurant in town and order it.
  • Do not tell people how great you think Chang is or talk about how you wish you could get it back home. We don't all hate Chang, but no one brags on it. It's like bragging about drinking Milwaukee's Best or loving your cousin (also do not order a "Sing-HA" as no one says this outside of tourist enclaves).
  • Do not talk about how hot it is or how humid it is. We have skin and pores and body parts that experience heat as well.
  • Just put the loving ice in the loving beer already.
  • Do not regale us with tales of the seventy year-old foreigner you saw with what you're just sure was an underage prostitute. She was a prostitute, she wasn't underage and while we laugh at that guy a lot (particularly the Pattaya/Samui types), it doesn't make him a paedophile, just a sex pensioner.
  • Double-shut-up about the relatively normal middle-aged foreigner walking down the street in Central Bangkok hand-in-hand with the eight year-old Thai boy. It's his loving son, moron.
  • Do not talk endlessly about the "ping pong show" as if it's just the most outrageous thing ever. On the US/Mexican border, women gently caress donkeys for tourists' entertainment. It's pretty tame here by comparison.
  • Just loving walk over to the waitress and ask for your bill. Yes, it works differently here and she's used to some old Chinese Thai hag screaming at her from across the room to get her attention. She's not ignoring you because you're foreign or because she's lazy (okay, she probably is kind of lazy), she's ignoring you because she's underpaid and because service works differently here - or if you're in a resort area, likely because she's a terrified-or-nearly-enslaved Burmese or Cambodian person whose life loving sucks. Don't sit around talking about how unbelievable it is that a waitress won't walk 10' to your table and give you the bill. Get up, walk over to her and say "check bin" with a smile, then pay and leave.
  • They were talking about potatoes, not you, get over yourself.
  • If it's wrong and you paid a $1 for it, eat it anyway, or take it with you and give it to someone else.
  • Don't tell everyone how shocked you are at how difficult it is to find vegetarian food in the Buddhist paradise of Thailand. News flash, it's about as Buddhist in practice as America is Christian in practice.
  • Yes, the music is way too loving loud and, no, they are not going to turn it down and, no, it will not be quieter at the next place. Bring earplugs.
  • No, your hotel was not just the cutest little hotel in the world. There are about 10,000,000 identical Balinese style "boutique hotels" here now. They're all the same.
  • Don't stop and talk to every idiot who walks up to you to sell you something, give you supposed advice or take you somewhere and then complain about how you got scammed when every guide, web site and authority in existence tells you not to talk to anyone who approaches you. We know, you're stupid, don't brag about it like it was an adventure. If you think that's a great story, hand me your wallet and your iPhone and I'll steal it so you can brag about that.
  • Take your Goddamn backpack off on the skytrain or subway when it's crowded, you moron. We don't need you jamming it into our faces constantly because you're too stupid to put it on the ground in front of you to make room on our often-overcrowded BTS.
  • The boat stop for Khao San Road is Phra Athit Pier, it's number N13. They're numbered, there are big signs. Don't make a big fuss about it on the boat, running around trying to spot the signs and then have a fit when you somehow manage to miss the stop. There will be another boat to take you back - or a taxi if it's too late.
  • If you're in a taxi with someone who lives here and they get pissed at the taxi driver for trying to scam you, don't say, "It's okay, let's just pay it." We never get scammed, it's annoying and it's because you look like such an obvious mark that we're getting scammed!
  • Yes, it's a man. Unless the man is chasing you around Nana trying to grab your dick (which is completely possible), get over it.
  • Don't wai anyone, ever, unless they're on portraits all over the country.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 1, 2012

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Pirate Bay founder, after being on international wanted lists for a while post previous sentencing, has been arrested exactly where you thought he would be arrested:

http://torrentfreak.com/pirate-bay-founder-arrested-in-cambodia-120901/

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.

ReindeerF posted:

Yeah, not a lot of money being made there, heh. The money here can be made by investing with the right frontier/developing market fund firms that operate, but with so many sketchy outfits in town it's not something I'd advise most people back home to look into (not that many of them will take American clients anyway, for that matter). Would be kind of a funny thing to offer as a tourism service - "Leave Laos as a licensed broker on the world's smallest public stock exchange!"

The big news recently on the Cambodian exchange was the country's first IPO, the water utility, which was done primarily for the PR and experience value of someone there having done an IPO and being able to say that they had done an IPO, heh.

I am sure there is but not on the exchanges. PE is the way to go but you need to figure out which ones are legit and which ones are sex tourists acting like investors.

Thailand is more fun but in the real world nobody understands the country or the economy. Because they use Thai GAAP everyone thinks it is a new language.

If you have frontier market experience it is not a problem to separate the wheat from the chaff. :)

Lots of well run businesses in Bangkok and nobody is playing the ASEAN angle outside of the locals.

evilwaldo fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Sep 2, 2012

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

ReindeerF posted:

After having hosted, met and sat near a number of Western tourists of the above-backpacker-price-range variety, I can offer some tips to avoid looking like an idiot to those of us who live here:

tell it, girlfriend!

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

ReindeerF posted:

My friend lives up there and married a Laos woman. He's an economist by training and a pretty smart guy. Reads and speaks the language. He bought some property 15m outside town a year back and it's worth about double now. Fifteen minutes outside VIENTIANE (i.e. the middle of nowhere).
If that Chinese high speed rail plan to Thailand through Laos ever becomes reality in the next 20 years it's going to be real interesting as to what happens to property value.

I have my doubts that it'll ever happen though. I think Thailand's discount air carriers are doing everything possible to block HS rail plans in Thailand though.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Sheep-Goats posted:

Pirate Bay founder, after being on international wanted lists for a while post previous sentencing, has been arrested exactly where you thought he would be arrested:

http://torrentfreak.com/pirate-bay-founder-arrested-in-cambodia-120901/
Hah, I didn't know he was wanted. He was well-known locally as the Pirate Bay guy and he ran with the local hash. Nice guy, I heard. Kind of nerdy (shock).

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

evilwaldo posted:

I am sure there is but not on the exchanges. PE is the way to go but you need to figure out which ones are legit and which ones are sex tourists acting like investors.

Thailand is more fun but in the real world nobody understands the country or the economy. Because they use Thai GAAP everyone thinks it is a new language.

If you have frontier market experience it is not a problem to separate the wheat from the chaff. :)

Lots of well run businesses in Bangkok and nobody is playing the ASEAN angle outside of the locals.
That's still true sort of, but more and more money's coming in and partnering - from all over. Among my banking friends here (with backgrounds in NY & here) that I've known for years and years, I can count three different PE outfits, spinning themselves as funds or whatever. Then of course there's the 500 pound media machine, Leopard. What most of the outfits are trying to do is sell up right now, because a lot of capital is looking for a home. Just in the last year, two of them have sold up to international outfits and started yet another type of fund in each case. It's all been legit (as legit as finance gets anyway), but I've been interested in how bubblish it seems to watch. No one seems to be trying to build a long term going concern, they all seem to be flying around putting together portfolios, selling them as a fund and then shopping themselves to international funds who want to be able to talk about their frontier investments or something.

Anyway, interesting world I stumbled into. Heaps of Westerners, though I have met some Thai guys from the shell of the former AIG that got sold after AIG's spectacular crash and they basically do PE. I'm sure there's more here with the rise of the SET and all the investing, but it's a pretty nascent industry since Thailand's always been a bit of a closed shop. Here, your private equity firm is your Chinese family. You want capital, talk to grandpa.

EDIT: For purposes of this post, Singaporeans are Westerners, heh, as they're the only SE Asians well-represented in finance.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Sep 2, 2012

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Modus Operandi posted:

If that Chinese high speed rail plan to Thailand through Laos ever becomes reality in the next 20 years it's going to be real interesting as to what happens to property value.

I have my doubts that it'll ever happen though. I think Thailand's discount air carriers are doing everything possible to block HS rail plans in Thailand though.
Yeah, here's a sentence that applies to everything here:

"Thailand's [ESTABLISHED PUBLIC OR PRIVATE INTEREST] are doing everything possible to block [FORM OF PROGRESS] in Thailand though."

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ReindeerF posted:

Hah, I didn't know he was wanted. He was well-known locally as the Pirate Bay guy and he ran with the local hash. Nice guy, I heard. Kind of nerdy (shock).

He seems like such a nice little Sweedish guy and his site lets me see all the cool old Hitchcock movies that are hard to find so I hope he had a good time in PP. Pretty sure he did.

For the record I think Trat would be a great place to hide from international businesses driven law enforcement apparatuses.

ReindeerF posted:

EDIT: For purposes of this post, Singaporeans are Westerners, heh, as they're the only SE Asians well-represented in finance.

You can tell they're SE Asian though because if they possibly can they will spend a months salary on a phone and six on a watch la

raton fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Sep 2, 2012

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Sheep-Goats posted:

For the record I think Trat would be a great place to hide from international businesses driven law enforcement apparatuses.
Hah, hadn't considered it, but that's probably true. I'd probably go to Phnom Penh or Battambang if I were on the lam. Cambodia gives no fucks about law enforcement.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
What should go on top of Reindeer's list:

1. Do NOT get a girlfriend (or boyfriend)

You'll get the "why you no have? you like man? you handsome na why no have girlfriend?" but it's way better than being forced into temples, listening to stupid opinions, trying to explain where Thailand is on a world map and other things that makes me want to jump from a balcony in Pattaya.

- - -

I wonder where the rest of the Pirate Bay gang is hiding.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Oh yeah, that's a good one. I made a rule of not dating locally for the first two years I was here. One of my rare good decisions in life, heh. Not out of racism or anything (though I'm from Texas and you can't make lil' linebackers with Thai women), but just because of the cultural confusion and issues. This country is custom designed to destroy existing relationships and create new ones destined to fail. I have never seen anything like it anywhere ever.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010
The relations in Thailand i've seen fail mostly have these things in common:

The guy doesn't understand any Thai whatsoever and they met at some nightlife establishment like a bar or nightclub.

Guy is completely clueless about Thai culture. Thai person is completely clueless about your culture.

Thai person has never been abroad before and likes hooking up with foreigners for various "reasons."

No history of gainful employment for one or either party.

She graduated from Ramkhamhaeng.

All those things are just big honking red flags.

/thaivisa

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
SOM NAM NAAR

ME MISSUS RECKONS

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010
In other news son of red bull founder ran over a cop with his ferrari and fled into his posh Thonglor house.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

There's also the 4-8 holiday boyfriend/girlfriend situation between backpackers. Which still falls under

ReindeerF posted:

and create new ones destined to fail
:sigh:

Morricone
Jul 7, 2005

eviljelly posted:

There's also the 4-8 holiday boyfriend/girlfriend situation between backpackers. Which still falls under

:sigh:

Replace create with "pay for" and it gets a tad closer to the truth.

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?

Ringo R posted:

I wonder where the rest of the Pirate Bay gang is hiding.

Doesn't one of the other guys live in Laos? I always thought it was funny how Gottfrid's location was always 'unknown', when everyone knew he was just chillin in his riverside apartment.

Although I heard he had started to go off the rails a bit (as tends to happen in PP).

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Morricone posted:

Replace create with "pay for" and it gets a tad closer to the truth.

Backpackers pay to sleep with each other? Who do they pay...?

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

eviljelly posted:

All of the clinics on the island do pregnancy and STD tests, I guess a lot of backpackers need to be tested :v:

I've found a house, finish rescue tomorrow, begin ye olde DMT soon thereafter. I was at Mango Bay this afternoon and did a bunch of skills by the New Way boat - were you on board? I managed to kill my mask (don't ask) and lose a line cutter and torch pocket :smith:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
In other news, the comments this last week or so by a member of the ruling Phuea Thai party were predictably forward-thinking and progressive:

quote:

Only last week a Member of Parliament of the ruling Phuea Thai Party Sunai Julphongsathorn urged north eastern Thai women to find a foreign husband as foreign governments would pay for everything down to the ‘lovely diapers’.

At a seminar attended by red shirted supporters of the government he was quite blunt saying the women should get on their backs to achieve their goal.

“Get a German husband. Get a Swedish husband. Get a Norwegian husband. All you need is a foreign husband and his government will pay you to study,” he said. “Sitting studying is too slow. Lie down to study, then go to the hospital. They will pay you to have the baby… It’s all free, right up to the lovely diapers.”

“Having a foreign husband gives you an easy life because European governments give you everything for free.”
EDIT: My girlfriend's response was pretty funny. She was like "We have to go on TV and warn them about Americans, they may not know the difference and then they end up with a farang who gets nothing who has to report all her property and bank accounts to his government!"

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 4, 2012

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer
Been a while since I've posted in here. I'm finally going to probably be heading back to SEA (Thailand), and will be working on a farm in the Chiang Mia area. I've already done the backpacking in SEA on a shoestring thing back in 2010 or so, but since I'll be staying longer I'm thinking about my laptop.

I honestly want to just leave that poo poo behind. I know that internet cafes are all over the place while on the beaten track, but how common are they out in the sticks? I'm guessing they are still around since it would mostly likely be the only way most people could get access to a computer, but I'm not sure.

Either way, excited as hell to be heading back. Like most people in this thread I've been itching (and lurking in this thread) to get back ever since I returned the US. Should be cool to be there not as a tourist.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Thai folks, especially working class Thai folks, still use internet cafes quite a bit, so there should be one. Whether it will be convenient I don't know, but every town of any size I've seen has at least one, usually more.

Morricone
Jul 7, 2005

eviljelly posted:

Well, score one for reading comprehension! Maybe I forgot to have my coffee or maybe I'm jaded and instantly read your "4-8 holiday boyfriend/girlfriend"-part as something sketchy and managed to skip the backpacker-part. Sorry for being a dumbass.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
This is great news. I'm going to open Bangkok's first backpacker brothel where smelly people in fisherman pants that haven't been washed for two weeks and hideous Bo Derek braids pay money to gently caress each other!

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Finch! posted:

I've found a house, finish rescue tomorrow, begin ye olde DMT soon thereafter. I was at Mango Bay this afternoon and did a bunch of skills by the New Way boat - were you on board? I managed to kill my mask (don't ask) and lose a line cutter and torch pocket :smith:

Hah, yeah I think I saw your group, even! I was leading some scuba reviewers back to the boat. Next time you see the New Way boat, you can yell STAIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRS at the top of your lungs at any Asian person on board.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

moflika posted:

Been a while since I've posted in here. I'm finally going to probably be heading back to SEA (Thailand), and will be working on a farm in the Chiang Mia area. I've already done the backpacking in SEA on a shoestring thing back in 2010 or so, but since I'll be staying longer I'm thinking about my laptop.

I honestly want to just leave that poo poo behind. I know that internet cafes are all over the place while on the beaten track, but how common are they out in the sticks? I'm guessing they are still around since it would mostly likely be the only way most people could get access to a computer, but I'm not sure.

Either way, excited as hell to be heading back. Like most people in this thread I've been itching (and lurking in this thread) to get back ever since I returned the US. Should be cool to be there not as a tourist.

If a Thai town is big enough to have three shops at least one of them will be an internet cafe.

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer

Sheep-Goats posted:

If a Thai town is big enough to have three shops at least one of them will be an internet cafe.

That's good to hear. Now I hope I can get over not having something to carry crazy amounts of music/movies/documentaries on.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Crossposting - I just ran across a paper that a girl wrote about my absolute favorite True Crime story in Thailand:

http://elibrary.law.psu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1009&context=jlia

Should be a loving movie.

Morricone
Jul 7, 2005

ReindeerF posted:

This is great news. I'm going to open Bangkok's first backpacker brothel where smelly people in fisherman pants that haven't been washed for two weeks and hideous Bo Derek braids pay money to gently caress each other!

Might work esp. since Lao authorities has begun to crack down on Vang Vieng.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Morricone posted:

Might work esp. since Lao authorities has begun to crack down on Vang Vieng.
"Woah dude, $2? Are you kidding man? That's like four plates of phad thai dude!"

any colour you like
Jul 19, 2006

Prying open my third eye
I have been driving around on a motorbike for almost a week now and my conclusion is: This is the best way of travelling around inside a country" I have no idea why I haven't done this before. I can stop wherever I'd like, and I get to see so many places I wouldn't be able to see without either messing with multiple bemos and/or a lot of other hassle.

And the beaches here in Sumbawa are loving amazing. Beautiful white sand beaches without any tourists. Next time I'm coming here (hopefully soon, because I love this island), I'll bring a tent and cooking gear and just drive from beach to beach to chill out. I'm amazed that these beaches haven't been developed yet, they are perfect for it. I drove past so many nice beaches on the way from Maluk to Sumbawa Besar.
Stayed a couple of days in Sekongkang. It was fantastic. It was just me and some surfers. Since the surfers don't hang out at the beach I had the entire beach for myself. I met a german surfer who had been in Kuta Lombok two years ago and he described it just as my Lonely Planet did, but apparently the people there had the attitude that they wanted to be better than Kuta Bali. No wonder that place has turned into such a hellhole.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
So it looks like those Canadian sisters' cause of death was deet:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2012/08/31/montreal-sisters-die-thailand-insecticide.html

quote:

It is thought that an overdose of DEET was accidentally mixed into the young women's drinks.
I don't know how deet is accidentally mixed into a drink.. I would assume they were looking to get high.

edit: more info

http://whatismatt.com/quebec-sisters-may-have-died-from-drinking-deet-cocktail/

quote:

Two Canadian sisters who died on Phi Phi island in June had ingested the insect repellent DEET, indicating they may have drunk a variation of a local "cocktail" popular in the southern provinces known as 4×100. The ingredients of 4×100 are usually kratom leaf extract, cough syrup, cola and ice.

A more potent version, 8×100, contains longkong leaves, cola, ya bah (methamphetamines), cough medicine, florescent chemicals from tube lights, tobacco, yoghurt — and mosquito repellent (or ground-up mosquito coils). (Phuket Gazette)

Heh, I remember I was on Ko Phangan about to goto the full moon party and this girl gave me some leaves to chew. I thought she was crazy but I chewed it anyway, it didn't have no effects though. I guess it was probably those kratom leaves.

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 5, 2012

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
If you want to have fun, go check out the ThaiVisa thread on the topic. It's like an episode of CSI as imagined by the crowd at the pub in an episode of Last of the Summer Wine where no one actually knows anything about the subject matter.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Is that drink real or just a news agency running off rumors and legend?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Is that drink real or just a news agency running off rumors and legend?

I've never heard of it but then I also never went to Phuket. It wouldn't surprise me if it was a real thing in Phuket.

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
Well that seems really dumb why would you want to take something like that. I understand the allure of drugs and the opportunity to do it in a foreign country far from home that they must feel since it is easier to attain it must thus be safer to do and less risky.

From my brief search it seems that 4x100 is popular in Southern Thailand and because it contains no alcohol but produces the same effects it could be considered OK by the Muslim youth. The fact that some mixtures could potentially contain mosquito repellent and powder from a fluorescent light makes it seem crazy that anyone would consider taking it.

Evolution at work I suppose.

In other news it is now less than 2 weeks until I head over to Indonesia! It can't come soon enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Even if hey did actually order and drink those drinks (which is debatable) it's unlikely that there was an ingredient list. I'm pretty sure it'd be like everything else around here and just have a cute name.