Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
Dr Z makes some really nice amps in that wattage range that aren't as expensive as a lot of other boutiques. I love the Maz 18 Jr I've been trying lately, but it weighs a freakin ton. It'll work for fusion, but it's perfect for blues/rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
If you're getting your distortion from pedals anyway, there's no need for the "quick breakup/midrange grit" quality of modern low-power boutiques. You can still get a silverface Princeton Reverb for ~$650 in the US (if it's not cosmetically perfect) and a new reissue for $850. Throw in another $60-$100 to upgrade the speaker and you've got something that will give you tons of gorgeous clean and the headroom to let pedals breathe without getting muddy. Plus, the older amps are a lot more sensitive to different tube makes, so you can have a lot more fun whenever an old radio or TV tech spouse has a yard sale.

Sorry, but we haven't had a 6V6>EL84 post in a while.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

burritonegro posted:

Dr Z makes some really nice amps in that wattage range that aren't as expensive as a lot of other boutiques. I love the Maz 18 Jr I've been trying lately, but it weighs a freakin ton. It'll work for fusion, but it's perfect for blues/rock.

Dr. Zs are cool amps but they're not exactly cheap. Granted, they're less expensive than most boutique amps, but the only model they offer for less than a grand is the mini-head.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

the Bunt posted:

Thanks, noted. You have any particular recommendations for a better head? I might just end up getting another 6505 but I'd like to play the field a bit because all I ever hear about metal guys playing with it 5150s or 6505s

I have an unusual recommendation regarding this situation. I'd typically tell anyone wanting to play metal to please just go out and pick up a 5150/6505 since they are fantastic pieces of equipment. But, since you're already playing against another one of those, you may want to check out the Engl E530 preamp + a power amp of your choice like a Mosvalve 962 or something similar. Insane, insane amount of available gain while staying tighter and drier than any amp I've ever played before. Offers great voicing options and "4" channels to play with. It has a built in 2x 1.5W stereo amp for low volume playing and stereo outputs as well. I own a $2500 Electric Amp head that I adore and will shamelessly admit that my Engl E530 easily gets as much play as it.

Examples:
http://soundcloud.com/juan-carlos-50/e530-boost-test
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbP10QczUyY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXAIse11DJs

If I remember correctly, I paid $550 for mine.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
A local guitar shop has a Mesa/Boogie 400 (not the 400+, mind) up for $800. Haven't seen it in person, but the picture on the site (here it is) indicate that it was rack-mounted for most of its life and I have every intention of taking a closer look, maybe even dragging my Mesa/Boogie Diesel 410 into the shop and seeing what it can do. Most of the 400s I've seen available for sale are 400+s and are about a hundred bucks more and the only difference I've been able to determine is that the non-+ models use a dozen 6L6s instead of six 6550s. Any other issues? I'm actually kind of excited because I am in love with Sovtek (for no damned good reason) and would get to put 6 of their 6550WEs in there and watch my bandmates cry. I guess I'll be keeping my 800RB on hand, but is $800 a good deal for this thing? I wanna make the jump to tubes (hurrah for raises) and SVTs, while freakin' awesome, this 400 might be more up my alley, not to mention cheaper.

edit: Off of the topic above, my guitarist bought new tubes for his Ampeg reverberocket head and one of the new matched tubes got much, much hotter than its pair; I was able to smell it from across the room and turn the amp off. Is this more-than-likely a faulty tube or something wrong with his amp? He's never replaced the tubes in this amp and when we put the old ones in, nothing went wrong. I know which tube it was, but I don't know where it is in the circuit off the top of my head.

scuz fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Sep 4, 2012

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

scuz posted:

edit: Off of the topic above, my guitarist bought new tubes for his Ampeg reverberocket head and one of the new matched tubes got much, much hotter than its pair; I was able to smell it from across the room and turn the amp off. Is this more-than-likely a faulty tube or something wrong with his amp? He's never replaced the tubes in this amp and when we put the old ones in, nothing went wrong. I know which tube it was, but I don't know where it is in the circuit off the top of my head.

Did the tubes get biased when they got put in?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

ethan posted:

Well my face sure is red. Nope. Would that cause one tube to meltdown and not the other? I didn't think the consequences were that bad :ohdear:

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

scuz posted:

Well my face sure is red. Nope. Would that cause one tube to meltdown and not the other? I didn't think the consequences were that bad :ohdear:

It is most likely the cause of the problem. Even if you swap the exact same type of tube in, you should always check the bias.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

ethan posted:

Can someone link me to a good article on this? I see references, but I just realized I have no idea what it is.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

Warcabbit posted:

Can someone link me to a good article on this? I see references, but I just realized I have no idea what it is.

I went by the info on Eurotubes' website. Watch a video or two and read the notes they've got.

http://www.eurotubes.com/eurotubes-how-to-bias-video-probe-Pro-One.htm

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Warcabbit posted:

This seems to be a reasonable overview.

http://www.geofex.com/tubeampfaq/TUBEFAQ.htm#bias

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
This discussion has reminded me that I don't know half as much as I'd like to about tubes and how they work. It has also prodded me to find the RCA RC-30 receiving tube handbook, which I gather is a pretty dry but interesting-to-the-right-nerd read. I found it here: clicky and goddamn, this is fun!

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Today I opened my Kustom 250 Tuck'N'Roll to give the pots a cleaning, since knob noise annoys me a great amount. I also learned that Kustom put the schematics to their amps.... inside their amps.

Do/did other companies do this? Because it is genius.

I've never actually owned an all-tube amp. Not too upset about it, either. Don't have to bias preamp tubes. Heh.
On a related note: where do y'all buy your tubes from?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Rotten Cookies posted:

Today I opened my Kustom 250 Tuck'N'Roll to give the pots a cleaning, since knob noise annoys me a great amount. I also learned that Kustom put the schematics to their amps.... inside their amps.

I've never actually owned an all-tube amp. Not too upset about it, either. Don't have to bias preamp tubes. Heh.
On a related note: where do y'all buy your tubes from?
I've used https://www.tubedepot.com in the past and had great success. They're really friendly folks. Otherwise there's probably a half-way decent non-guitar center tube re-seller in your area, the problem is finding it. If you're in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area I can recommend Willie's American Guitars. They're fuckin' awesome and have tons of classic old guitars and basses hanging on the walls.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

Rotten Cookies posted:

Don't have to bias preamp tubes. Heh.

It's the power tubes that need biasing. :science:

Tube Depot is good. I use https://www.thetubestore.com because of our shared Canadian-ness. I've also used the aforementioned https://www.eurotubes.com and had nothing but good, long lasting tubes from them.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

ethan posted:

It's the power tubes that need biasing. :science:

Tube Depot is good. I use https://www.thetubestore.com because of our shared Canadian-ness. I've also used the aforementioned https://www.eurotubes.com and had nothing but good, long lasting tubes from them.

Yeah, that's what I meant. By only having solid state or hybrid amps, I never have to worry about biasing tubes. I don't have power tubes, and any preamp tubes I do have don't need to be biased anyway.

Thanks for the recommendations, too.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
Oh, derp. I get the context now. :hfive:

I'm lucky that I've got a friend in the States who can get wholesale prices at https://www.cedist.com that's where I get tubes/speakers/anything from now.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

ethan posted:

Oh, derp. I get the context now. :hfive:

I'm lucky that I've got a friend in the States who can get wholesale prices at https://www.cedist.com that's where I get tubes/speakers/anything from now.

Huh....... that site has the same format as http://www.tubesandmore.com/ I'm not gonna register for the site you linked but I wonder if the prices are the same?

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

Rotten Cookies posted:

Huh....... that site has the same format as http://www.tubesandmore.com/ I'm not gonna register for the site you linked but I wonder if the prices are the same?

Haha whoa, that's weird. Same everything! I'll check with my friend and get back to you.

Sirius Sam
Apr 12, 2005

BUTTCHEEKS
I usually buy my tubes from eBay stores that specialize in tubes. Never had a problem and always have gotten the best prices.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

I'm a new guitarist (after playing bass for about half my life) and I'm looking for a practice amp. I've taken a shine to the Vox AC4TV - anyone have any specific experiences with it?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yes, it's great! Nice Vox sparkly cleans and it cranks up to get some nice overdrive without getting terribly loud. It can also drive a 16ohm cab if you want it to sound bigger. The built-in speaker is fine, though.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

rt4 posted:

Yes, it's great! Nice Vox sparkly cleans and it cranks up to get some nice overdrive without getting terribly loud. It can also drive a 16ohm cab if you want it to sound bigger. The built-in speaker is fine, though.

Actually, it can apparently drive an 8 ohm cab: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2666567-Cool-Information-About-The-Vox-AC4TV-Series Looks like I'm picking it up tomorrow after work.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
I'm in need of a quick equipment streamlining and upgrade.

I was talking to the guitar tech for a big, national touring act (I'll avoid namedropping) and he mentioned that both the guitarists were playing $75-100 guitars that had been properly intonated and that most of the tone (which was fantastic) was coming from the amps.

One of the guitarists was playing a Fender Blues DeVille 212 combo and I looked up on Ebay that they're usually selling $500-600 used.

It doesn't seem possible that a cheap, lovely guitar would sound that good through an amp that's less than $1000. Am I wrong or was he full of poo poo?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
There's plenty of great sounding amps under a thousand dollars. You can get an old Twin Reverb on Craigslist for $700 probably.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Wouldn't mind knowing the details on the guitars, but... basically... yeah. 100 bucks used?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Warcabbit posted:

Wouldn't mind knowing the details on the guitars, but... basically... yeah. 100 bucks used?

Both the quality of student guitars has increased so much over the last few years that I'm surprised more people aren't doing this. A lot of times the "off brands"end up making a better product for less than the "official" versions,which usually have a 20-30% price jump just for having the famous name on there in tiny letters. An Epiphone will always cost more than an identical Samick, made at the same factory, by the same people.

Plus, the ease of on-line shopping has seriously flooded the market. Factor in the usual flakiness of guitarists, plus the standard "quitting" factor and you get a massive excess of quality, low-priced used guitars. At my store, we've literally run out of hooks to put them on. All are just a few small tweaks from being gig-ready. I wish a band/manager would come in and just stock up for a tour, I really do.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

After The War posted:

Both the quality of student guitars has increased so much over the last few years that I'm surprised more people aren't doing this. A lot of times the "off brands"end up making a better product for less than the "official" versions,which usually have a 20-30% price jump just for having the famous name on there in tiny letters. An Epiphone will always cost more than an identical Samick, made at the same factory, by the same people.

Plus, the ease of on-line shopping has seriously flooded the market. Factor in the usual flakiness of guitarists, plus the standard "quitting" factor and you get a massive excess of quality, low-priced used guitars. At my store, we've literally run out of hooks to put them on. All are just a few small tweaks from being gig-ready. I wish a band/manager would come in and just stock up for a tour, I really do.

Pretty much this. With the rise of computer automated machining, budget guitars have increased in quality by leaps and bounds over last 20 or so years and now even more in the last 7-8. I got a Malden liquid when they were blowing out their remaining stock for around $190, and it absolutely destroys anything Fender makes well into the $800-900 range. If you put some very minor finish work into some of these budget guitars you can really get a killer value.

I find amps tend to not be quite as good deal in the budget range though, the difference between say a Blues Junior at $500 to a Princeton at $850 is night and day, the Princeton is leaps and bounds better. Frankly I don't even know of an off brand that makes anything approaching a decent budget tube amp. I'm not saying there isn't I just don't know of any.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
Wow, well that settles it. Thanks guys, I guess I just discovered a great new budgeting trick.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I'm the one who pointed you at the Malden, remember? And the world's biggest fan of GFS.

I was just wondering which of the various flavors they chose, that stood up to gigging. Never hurts to get more info.

(If you _want_ recommendations on cheap stuff, just ask.)

And remember, even the Greats use cheap stuff now and again.

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2012/Aug/GALLERY_Inside_Steve_Vais_Harmony_Hut_Studio.aspx?Page=12&#gallery

(see the $99 DA5 practice amp)

As far as budget tube amps, most of the ones I've heard of that sound good wind up being incredibly fragile, so...

As I recall, Joe Walsh used a tube preamp into a AxeFX for his latest album.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 3, 2012

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
Regarding cheap, good guitars:

http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar-ss9.html
and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_Ru9mPqWZo

I was SO CLOSE to picking up an AL-2000 with P90s. I hear nothing but good things about Agile guitars for the price they are. If I ever drop my ESP, one of these will probably replace it.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Well, of course. And you can't go wrong with putting a GFS Mean 90 in for the P90s. Maybe a VEH humbucker at the bridge.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Warcabbit posted:

I'm the one who pointed you at the Malden, remember? And the world's biggest fan of GFS.

I was just wondering which of the various flavors they chose, that stood up to gigging. Never hurts to get more info.

(If you _want_ recommendations on cheap stuff, just ask.)

And remember, even the Greats use cheap stuff now and again.

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2012/Aug/GALLERY_Inside_Steve_Vais_Harmony_Hut_Studio.aspx?Page=12&#gallery

(see the $99 DA5 practice amp)

As far as budget tube amps, most of the ones I've heard of that sound good wind up being incredibly fragile, so...

As I recall, Joe Walsh used a tube preamp into a AxeFX for his latest album.

My Gibson LP Jr amp is pretty sturdy and only cost around $300. It's been abused but I've never had to replace anything other than the tube.

Also the Vox Pathfinder runs for around $100 and sounds great. The best part is that it's solid state so it doesn't weigh much, either.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Rotten Cookies posted:

A lot of companies used to. A little googling can get you pretty much any schematic you could want these days.

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
Can anyone tell me the main differences between a Mesa Mark II B and C+? Also, does anyone have a Mark V and is it worth the cost/can it sound as good as the C+?

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I turn to you goons. Over the last 6 years I've gone through the following amps:

Orange Rocker 30
Marshall JCM2000 (and borrowed a 900 head for awhile)
Peavey Delta Blues 30
Fender 60w Hot Rod Deville
Crate V32 Palomino
Vox AC30CC2

All of those amps are pretty cool, but I always winding up selling them for various reasons. Over the last 4 years I've been playing out weekly/bi-weekly in a variety cover band that 80 percent of the set list is classic rock. I'm seriously debating "going to the dark side" and am strongly considering a cheap modeling amp. Tube amps do sound great, but I'm at the point where I think I just want to try one. I LOVE playing with my effects modelers on my computer for practicing/learning songs and I think I want to give it a go for a live rig.

I'm also constantly fidgeting with my effects pedals up on stage for various tunes. I'd really like to be able to hit a button on the footswitch for a zep song, floyd song, or to a nice setting for an acoustic guitar. Is this all possible? I literally know nothing about digital modelers because I've always been a "tube snob".

I've read good things about the Peavey Vypyr 30 watt. I see they are only 200 new which makes me think something is very fishy. Any suggestions on good modelers? Thanks!

edit - If it matters, I've been using a very nice USA Deluxe Fat Strat for the last 3 years. The guitar is ultra versatile so I'd really like an amp to match the "swiss army knife" effectiveness of the guitar.

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders
I have an 80's? Peavy Duece. A few years ago i had it refurbed, my question is about speakers. My uncle blew the speakers out before the refurb and i am just getting around to replacing them. Should i pick up the speakers that peavy recommends or go with something else? Anything under two hundred wont break the bank. It needs two twelve inch speakers. Any mixing of the speakers is also not out of the question either.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Infomaniac posted:

I have an 80's? Peavy Duece. A few years ago i had it refurbed, my question is about speakers. My uncle blew the speakers out before the refurb and i am just getting around to replacing them. Should i pick up the speakers that peavy recommends or go with something else? Anything under two hundred wont break the bank. It needs two twelve inch speakers. Any mixing of the speakers is also not out of the question either.

Looks like it needs a pair of 8ohm 50-80w speakers. If you're alright running 50w speakers http://www.avatarspeakers.com/ has got Eminence Private Jacks for $52/ea which seems like a solid budget option. Might have to be a little careful since I guess that amp can put out 120 though. They've also got Celesion G12T-100s for $70 too.

You could probably find some used G12T-75s or Vintage 30s pretty easy too. Just make sure you get the right impedance. I'll actually have an extra pair of G12T-75s soon, but they're 16ohm and a little moldy.

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders
Nice, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

After much research on the internet and demoing in person tonight I picked up a Fender 40w Mustang II modeling amp.

I've been fumbling with it for about 2 hours and I've started editing some of the settings with the included computer software and thus far I'm very impressed. I'm currently using variations of the AC30 setting (as I just owned a real AC30 for about a year) and its pretty drat close to the real thing. The fender twin setting is also ultra clean and chimey.

The big test for it is going to come Saturday, as I plan on playing a 4 hour bar gig with it. Just in case I have issues I'm going to have my brother's 60w JCM half stack on hand but I foresee no problems.

The fact that this amp is $200 seems absolutely ludicrous.