Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Cockfights loving suck, I've bet what would be 2 millions by now and won once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Call Now posted:

Cockfights loving suck, I've bet what would be 2 millions by now and won once.

200k down, 8 in a row lost. :argh:

Just said gently caress it at this point. I'll wait till I buy everything in the game before trying again.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
The white bird won each time for me, despite the little win streak thing reading zero :iiam:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Yeah, I've done 2 cockfights, and I won both betting on the white bird. Maybe they had the same tell or something, but I just bet on the one with fewer wins.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Cockfighting is completely random, or maybe there's a system involving time of day or something crazy. The black cock named Sun Tzu used to be a sure thing when I played and then he lost 9 times in a row. Basically you need to save scum and just drive the few blocks from the Kennedy Town safehouse to the cockfighting arena and do this:

-Bet
-If you win, save and bet again
--If you lose bet again
--If you win this you're back to square one
--If you lose this reload your save and drive back to the dock furiously running over anyone in your way

You can always bet on black or white, or try and go by "best name" but it will still probably take a good half hour unless you're really lucky. This was probably the only grind I had to go through in the game, and it was still mildly entertaining to watch the fights sometimes.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Two things I discovered in Club Bam Bam:

1/ Those giant fish tanks can be broken by doing a running flying kick at them during the mission.

2/ Upstairs, at the far end in the round bit, there is a spot where Wei gets to dance.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Parkingtigers posted:

1/ Those giant fish tanks can be broken by doing a running flying kick at them during the mission.

You can also just throw a guy into them. I did it thinking Wei would just bash his head into the glass, instead there's water and fish everywhere all of a sudden.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Parkingtigers posted:

Wei Shen does not waste his time and energy breaking things himself when he can break them using someone else's head. :black101:

And holy poo poo, some of the moves you unlock from the jade statues are drat good. The follow-up attack on stunned enemies is my favorite, it appears to pretty much be an instant kill on most guys and the fight clubs became completely trivial once I unlocked it.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

This game is grade A loving awesome

Amazing how refreshing a game set in Not LA or Not NY feels.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Brightman posted:

This was probably the only grind I had to go through in the game, and it was still mildly entertaining to watch the fights sometimes.

I always liked when the AI got a bit wonky and one of the birds just starts doing laps around the ring. One bird ended up pushing about 8 of those cage objects around into a giant pile, while I'm yelling at the monitor "WHERE ARE YOU GOING! GET BACK IN THE RING, LITTLE JERRY! YOU SON OF A BITCH, GET IN THE RING! NOOOOOO, DON'T TURN YOUR BACK TO HIM, LITTLE JERRY! FUUUUUCCKKKK!!!"

Doctor Doodler
Feb 14, 2012

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

Wei Shen does not waste his time and energy breaking things himself when he can break them using someone else's head. :black101:

And holy poo poo, some of the moves you unlock from the jade statues are drat good. The follow-up attack on stunned enemies is my favorite, it appears to pretty much be an instant kill on most guys and the fight clubs became completely trivial once I unlocked it.

I have the face, 'everything just got better' and when I drink dragon kick, that double flying jump kick move reduces most enemies to about 1 bar of health.

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

Parkingtigers posted:

I enjoyed platting this game so much I'm going to do it all over again on Xbox. Currently just driving around in the retro Triad dragon van listening to the radio and enjoying the view. No regrets, this game is just the best drat thing.

E: Sagittarius FM, retro van, the open highway and a bunch of goon clean drive scores to beat. Absolute bliss. 4:42 on the clock in the end, and good times.

I got to second place on my list in clean drive and then just deleted the guy who got 5:00 off my friends list (sorry Isaac Brock I love you). Then I turned off notifications because the clean drive thing gets a bit irritating.

I've also found getting a clean 3-star cop score is more of a pain in the rear end than it's worth when drug busts are so fun and fairly lucrative. I'm loving this game.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Brightman posted:

Cockfighting is completely random, or maybe there's a system involving time of day or something crazy. The black cock named Sun Tzu used to be a sure thing when I played and then he lost 9 times in a row. Basically you need to save scum and just drive the few blocks from the Kennedy Town safehouse to the cockfighting arena and do this:

-Bet
-If you win, save and bet again
--If you lose bet again
--If you win this you're back to square one
--If you lose this reload your save and drive back to the dock furiously running over anyone in your way

You can always bet on black or white, or try and go by "best name" but it will still probably take a good half hour unless you're really lucky. This was probably the only grind I had to go through in the game, and it was still mildly entertaining to watch the fights sometimes.

Thanks for the advice, Michael Vick. :colbert:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Parkingtigers posted:

2/ Upstairs, at the far end in the round bit, there is a spot where Wei gets to dance.

I dig that if you just leave Wei standing in the club, he starts bopping his head to the beat. I think Luis did this in The Ballad of Gay Tony too but I can't think of any other open world games that did this.

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

Just saw a pedestrian pick his nose and eat it, this game is revolutionary

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Doctor Doodler posted:

I have the face, 'everything just got better' and when I drink dragon kick, that double flying jump kick move reduces most enemies to about 1 bar of health.

Wait, hold up.

Enemies have health bars?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Capn Beeb posted:

Wait, hold up.

Enemies have health bars?

If you lock on to them, it shows up as a 4 sectioned circle under their feet.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

SpazmasterX posted:

Of course, if you're not judging damage by how blood covered your enemies are, you're just not playing the game right.

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe

SpazmasterX posted:

I beat the entire game without ever noticing or doing this... you just now reminded me that such a function was even in the game.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

slovach posted:

I beat the entire game without ever noticing or doing this... you just now reminded me that such a function was even in the game.

Lock-on just seemed more like a hindrance than anything.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Vertigus posted:

Lock-on just seemed more like a hindrance than anything.

It is essential for a couple of the unlocked moves, though that's about the only time I used it.

Doctor Doodler
Feb 14, 2012

Parkingtigers posted:

It is essential for a couple of the unlocked moves, though that's about the only time I used it.

It seems to make grapplers easier to knock down for me.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Once I figured out that you can do that flip if you lock on, I started using it a bit more. Doesn't seem much other point to it, though.

Some of the bystander chat is brilliant. Outside one of the cockfight rings, there's a couple on a date and the guy is all "but I thought you loved animals" while she's yelling at him.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
Lock on is also useful for chucking knives at people and instant killing them.

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

I've run into a bit of a dilemma. Now that I'm completely done with the game I drive around, collect a gun or 2 and start causing random chaos. I noticed that the street vendors all have a volatile propane tank next to them. If I shoot it there's a cool explosion. But these are the people that give me delicious pork buns and meats on a stick. I'm torn.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Deadly Hume posted:

Once I figured out that you can do that flip if you lock on, I started using it a bit more. Doesn't seem much other point to it, though.

Some of the bystander chat is brilliant. Outside one of the cockfight rings, there's a couple on a date and the guy is all "but I thought you loved animals" while she's yelling at him.

I loved listening in on the lady and her daughter's conversations outside the first apartment. Later it switches to the mother and some guy who she kind of hopes will date her daughter, and still later it switches to the mother and the old superintendent taunting each other :allears:

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
I found a moped.

I spent forty-five minutes today just driving a moped around Hong Kong purposefully alerting the police and then losing them on a loving moped.

I haven't even hit any major plot points yet, just got the fake watch from Jackie after what I'm guessing is like the third or fourth mission?

How do you people even play this game's story when there's so much dicking around to do

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
It took me until the end of the game to throw my first knife. I feel bad about this.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
There's a moped on the wall of the garage at your North Point safehouse.

Thern
Aug 12, 2006

Say Hello To My Little Friend

RandallODim posted:

Of course, if you're not judging damage by how blood covered your enemies are, you're just not playing the game right.

I just keep hitting them until they stop getting back up.

Looking at enemy's healthbar is like staring at your watch while watching a really good movie.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Holy crap, this game still owns.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I can't state how much I love all the incidental dialogue in the game. If you listen closely you get a lot of funny conversations. Even the cop on his phone (Raymond?) in Teng's base has some good lines - there's one where he gets increasingly frustrated become the cop on the other side cannot differentiate between 2 gangsters with similar names.

And the guy who pushes a button for you to get your car.

"I used to have a high salary job, and now (sigh) I push a button for you to get your car. Wei."

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

AxeManiac posted:

Holy crap, this game still owns.

Hell yeah it does. I put 45 hours into platting, 100%ing, and pissing around in the PS3 version. 5 hours into the Xbox edition and I'm still in love.

Man I want some more DLC, and like right now. Don't care what it is, but I want it. Gimme those pre-order exclusives to tide me over, I want it all.

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

I'm almost done with the story but it's so hard to finish even though it's a really great story. Today I was driving a cab around because I accidentally hijack about 80% of the cabs I'm trying to get into, and found that people will jump in the back with hilarious consequences. This game's combat system and wanted level that's actually fun to evade will probably keep me going for ages, it's definitely the best open world game since Red Dead.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
I found what I think is a healing shrine (or other collectible of similar icon-shape) but I haven't been able to figure it out.

It's located in Central, right here:

This is me standing directly atop the symbol.

None of the maps I've consulted show anything at all in the location but there is a health shrine location or something that is apparently supposed to be right there.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You're blocking the symbol, so I cant see if that's supposed to be a shrine or a jump.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I think you're at a point where you can do one of the big jumps that help you evade pursuit.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
Definitely no shrine or statue there. Maybe a lock box but I don't really see anything there at all.

pLEH
May 19, 2009
I got confused at the same point for ages! If you look up, there should be a spot with construction cones and the like where you can jump off like Jerusalem said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9

SynthOrange posted:

You're blocking the symbol, so I cant see if that's supposed to be a shrine or a jump.

Jerusalem posted:

I think you're at a point where you can do one of the big jumps that help you evade pursuit.

pLEH posted:

I got confused at the same point for ages! If you look up, there should be a spot with construction cones and the like where you can jump off like Jerusalem said.

:doh: That makes sense. I actually noticed it driving by the construction during a mission. I guess I don't recall seeing a tutorial tip about their markers...

• Locked thread