Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Harley updates their bikes - they're just restricted as hell as to what they can do because their buyers like "classic" Harleys. They're pretty drat good at what they do though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

But are they actually model-specific, like
"THE NEW 2013 ROAD KING: PRETTY MUCH EXACTLY LIKE EVERY PREVIOUS ROAD KING BUT IN DIFFERENT COLORS"
because those I can't recall having seen.

Its mostly brand-based advertising, not bike-specific, although certain bikes will be featured in them.

n8r posted:

Harley updates their bikes - they're just restricted as hell as to what they can do because their buyers like "classic" Harleys. They're pretty drat good at what they do though.

This. People dont give Harley enough credit for the things they do well. That EPA spreadsheet posted in one of the other threads reveals that HD is one of the only manufacturer with a full lineup of fuel injected bikes. Let that sink in. Harley is the manufacturer using the most up to date fueling techniques.

They make really good bikes, as good as the Japanese or anyone else, they just dont know how to market them, despite knowing how to market the poo poo out of "the brand", and they dont know how to break away from their classic line without pissing off their fanbase, or having it be a half-hearted attempt (see XR1200R)

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
It was called "Buell" but they couldnt figure it out.

The mistake was selling them only in the HD dealerships. They should have done like the japanese and let other outlets sell the Buell line up. That would keep their base happy and all that "Jap crap" in with the people who shop at the multi brand dealers.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yeah for an example of a tangible update, the newer touring frame (07-up?) is a big step in handling and balance. But it looks the same so it must be same.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
When I asked this:

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Does Harley ever really advertise bikes? I'm trying to think of a time I saw a commercial for "The New <Whatever>" and I can't think of one. Just the lifestyle/image stuff.
It was in reference to this:

CombatMedic posted:

The V-rods live another year. I loving love my NRS and, along with the xr1200x, think Harley is loving retarded for not marketing the poo poo out of these bikes. I lose count of how many guys in their 20s and 30s have told me they love it, and they "didn't know Harley made a bike like that."

I know they advertise, but in terms of pushing individual models, I never see it. Though they would need to do that with the V-Rod and XR - the rest of their bikes are so traditional as to sell off their history. The new ones, though, would need some outreach - especially to people not interested in the "classic" Harleys.

Another thing - for these bikes, and from what I saw when Buell was at their dealerships - they really need to lay down some loving authority about how these bikes are treated at dealerships and force these things to get equal treatment by the sales staff.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I've heard that the Vrod sells like hotcakes in Europe, enough to keep the model around without needing to advertise it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It kind of seems like the dealers run the show in the Harley world for some reason

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Found the holy tome of harley gifs circa 1992

http://www.crazyeddie.org/harley/clipart.htm

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

n8r posted:

they only do serious updates when forced to by the government. the reason they made the big twin was that the evo was too loud (gear driven cams) and didn't comply with emissions.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

I know they advertise, but in terms of pushing individual models, I never see it. Though they would need to do that with the V-Rod and XR - the rest of their bikes are so traditional as to sell off their history. The new ones, though, would need some outreach - especially to people not interested in the "classic" Harleys.

Does anyone live in chicago? There's a guy who lives on belmont street and has an all chrome v-rod. the only non chrome is the tires. it must have taken a fortune. I'm not sure what he does, because I only see the bike out after midnight and in the early morning. living after midnight and all that.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Giblet Plus! posted:

they only do serious updates when forced to by the government. the reason they made the big twin was that the evo was too loud (gear driven cams) and didn't comply with emissions.

The government forced them to add inverted forks and a tailpiece to the Vrod? Or the frame updates on the touring models? 6-speed gearbox?

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 31, 2012

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

clutchpuck posted:

The government forced them to add inverted forks and a tailpiece to the Vrod?

victory forced them to do that

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!

SaNChEzZ posted:

Found the holy tome of harley gifs circa 1992

http://www.crazyeddie.org/harley/clipart.htm

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Someday I'm going to buy a little Super 90 or something, rejet it to run on pure ethanol, and refine a barrel of cheap sake into fuel just so that I can say I'm literally riding a rice-burner.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Giblet Plus! posted:

Does anyone live in chicago? There's a guy who lives on belmont street and has an all chrome v-rod. the only non chrome is the tires. it must have taken a fortune. I'm not sure what he does, because I only see the bike out after midnight and in the early morning. living after midnight and all that.

Well it's not exactly like he can ride it on the highway in the middle of a sunny day. It would be like the sun coming straight for you.

effzedsix
Mar 7, 2006

You missed something:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Looks like that baby is gonna be the last of his bloodline.

Why on earth were animated 3D renders of babies so popular back in, eh, 1996, anyway?

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Sagebrush posted:

Looks like that baby is gonna be the last of his bloodline.

Why on earth were animated 3D renders of babies so popular back in, eh, 1996, anyway?

It was probably its appearance on Ally McBeal that sealed the deal

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Is it totally silly to be looking at ~2005 Sportsters as a first bike for a 6'3" rider? I've sat on several at local bike stores and they felt fine, but I realize that could wear off quickly. I've checked out tons of different cruisers but I just don't dig the looks of Shadows/VStars, and I can't really afford a Dyna :(. I'll mostly just be riding it a few miles to work, day-off cruises around town etc.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

I don't think it's silly. Really depends on your inseam. I'm 6 foot and fit on the bike just fine but my inseam is 33".

Forwards would probably be more comfortable for you or highway pegs if you are going mids. Some seats sit you back further as well. I had a Corbin classic on mine and it moved me forward at least an inch compared to the stock badlander.

I would think with the right seat/peg/handlebar arrangement, you could be comfortable. Sportsters aren't comfortable for more than about 100 miles for anyone. But that's the fuel range so it works out.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH
I ride a Deuce with the stock seat and even with forward controls my knees were around my ears, but at ~6'1" I'm all legs (35" inseam). I bought some of these off eBay for like $150, and even with that it's a little bit uncomfortable. I just bought these things for stretching out on a long ride. My buddy is 5'11" and it fits him perfectly right now.

There are so many options for riding configuration alterations with a Sportster, and everything costs less too, so if that's what interests you, I don't think it's going to be a problem, especially if it's around town. Nevertheless, at your height basically any motorcycle isn't going to be scaled for your size.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Thanks guys, good to know. I'm about a ~34" inseam, so that's not bad. There's a 2007 883XL near me asking $3800, which seems low/too good to be true for my area's usual prices. I'm going to try to check it out after work if it's still available. It's midpeg, but I see that conversion kits are pretty reasonable.

Thanks for the tips!

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
I went to a HD demo ride event today with my dad. Here are my thoughts on the bikes.

My background/experience: I've been riding scooters for 8 years, daily riding a manual-shift scooter for ~3.5. I got my endorsement in '07 (before that I was on a 50, and didn't need one) and since being endorsed I've put quite a few hours on my dad's 2003 XL883R when I visited. So everything I rode today felt fat and dumb (compared to my 150cc Stella) but I'll try to keep that '03 XL883R as the basis for my comparisons.

First: my dad's bikes. He's had this '03 883R since new and the '06 V-Rod for a few years now. He loves it, but he sees a new bike in the next year or two.

Next: the 3 demo bikes I rode. Honestly I was a little intimidated by the bigger bikes - plus most big Harleys I have zero interested in - so I kept mostly to Sportsters.

The demo was 2013 models. The route was about 10 miles/25 minutes of city, 2-lane highway, and a bit of interstate. A fair mix. No good turns (surprise).

I started on the '13 1200 Custom. Compared to the 883R above, this felt shorter, lighter, and much, much more modern (dad's Sportster is 1 year too old for the rubber-mounted engine, and 3 years too old for EFI). And substantially more powerful. I learned immediately that I hate forward controls. The bike felt pretty neutral, but it was also the most similar to the motorcycle I have the most experience with.

Next I rode the Seventy-Two, a Sportster 1200 with mini ape hangers, a peanut tank, and a very small seat. It looks great. The apes were about shoulder height and much more comfortable than I expected. The seat may as well have been wood. The tall front wheel (and the bars) made it much harder to turn in than the other bikes. It would be an awesome "look at me, look at me!!" city bike (for much less than $10,700).

I really appreciated how much smoother these were than my dad's '03. That thing punishes you for being in the wrong gear by rattling you to death and slowing you the gently caress down, while the new 1200s were much less punishing.

(1200C in the foreground, 72 behind it)

Finally I got tired of Sporties and stepped up to a "proper Harley." The Softail Slim. Finally, I get it. I get why people like these. It felt so powerful. The engine vibrations were surprisingly absent - apparently this engine is counter-balanced? It had ABS, which I did not test. It turned in much more easily than the 72. It would have been easy to deal with at parking lot speeds, but the bars were so huge that (short person me) I couldn't actually steer lock-to-lock, I just couldn't get my arms out there. I could own one of these, probably with different bars. Also: floorboards? Heel-toe shifter? Weird! But comfortable.

And it looked loving fantastic in deep blue metallic.

One thing all of them had in common was a very lovely off/on throttle transition, making low-speed maneuvering very frustrating. Jerked like bastards.

My dad rode the Softail Blackline, the Fat Boy Lo, and the Dyna Wide Glide.

He liked the Blackline except for the long reach to the bars, LOVED the Fat Boy Lo, and really hated the Dyna - he said it vibrated like a motherfucker at all speeds and all RPMs, making even his '03 XL883R seem smooth.

All in all it was a pretty fun day, though getting stuck behind some timid old men who were afraid to corner or use the throttle was loving infuriating.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH
Nice post, thanks.

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Finally, I get it. I get why people like these. It felt so powerful.
This is how I felt after riding my Softail to the Ducati dealership and getting on a Panigale for an hour. Harleys have much more power and acceleration available to them than a car, but not quite enough that I'm ever as comfortable as I wish I could be performing maneuvers I'd never attempt with a car. I suspect your impression is based on coming from the bikes you've ridden. It doesn't need 200 horsepower... but it could use 115.

quote:

The engine vibrations were surprisingly absent - apparently this engine is counter-balanced?
Lots of H-Ds come with counterbalanced V-Twins, although some purists complain that it changes the drivetrain noise and takes away from the whole "sound" of the traditional Harley (who cares). The late model rubber-mounted motors are such that I can't notice a difference except for the disconcerting shaking of the exhaust system at a stop light.

quote:

Weird! But comfortable.
That's the other thing. I was used to thinking of my Softail as kind of unforgiving and harsh compared to most cruisers, trading that off for looks and maybe a little bit of controllability. But after riding a street bike for even an hour the Harley felt by comparison like a Cadillac or a Rolls Royce, almost comfortable to the point of ridiculousness.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

I learned immediately that I hate forward controls.

What do you hate about the forward controls? I've been debating putting them on my Nightster because the mids feel a bit cramped at times, but I'm worried that it'll affect my control of the bike.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Strife posted:

What do you hate about the forward controls? I've been debating putting them on my Nightster because the mids feel a bit cramped at times, but I'm worried that it'll affect my control of the bike.

Part of it is because I am short (5'8") with a short inseam (30") - so they felt like a very long reach. A taller person would have lesser issues. It was worse on the two Sportsters, it was better with the floorboards on the Softail.

When I ride with mids, I can move my feet forward to use the controls and then back to the balls of my feet to avoid them, if that makes sense.

I am also very used to getting my rear end out of the seat over bigger bumps, which is impossible with forwards. With forwards that is impossible and what's worse is the seating position puts all of that bump right through your rear end and up your spine.

In general - again a factor of being short, I'm sure - it felt like the forward controls locked me into a single position a lot more than mids do.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

To me, mids with highway pegs are the best setup. Mids are better for cornering and in heavy stop and go traffic. Highway pegs are good for just that.

On a sportster, the more positions you have at your disposal the better if you are on a long ride.

Redwinters
Jan 2, 2012

ask me about non-consensual batsex
Pardon the awful instagram, I will get real photos soon. Just put these pipes on the fatboy, Not sure if I am sold on the short look.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

edit: Nevermind :)

The Royal Nonesuch fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Sep 4, 2012

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Redwinters posted:

Pardon the awful instagram, I will get real photos soon. Just put these pipes on the fatboy, Not sure if I am sold on the short look.

I think it works without the bags; with the bags, I think what would tie it together would be a chrome-plated swingarm. They're ridiculously expensive and I'd never buy one, but my bike already had it installed when I bought it and it does look nice, if you like that sort of thing.

That 2-into-1 would look really good to me if it went way back to the end of the bags, or at least to the beginning of the bags

elsanto
Apr 6, 2004

Anyone done a fork spring replacement? I am going to attempt one on the wife's Sportster. Any pointers would be appreciated. Like, do I need to replace the fork oil?

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!

elsanto posted:

Anyone done a fork spring replacement? I am going to attempt one on the wife's Sportster. Any pointers would be appreciated. Like, do I need to replace the fork oil?

So I was totally off base and the springs can be changed without removing the forks or disassembling. Umm... sorry?

See here: http://www.progressivesuspension.com/dropin/video.html

DILLIGAF fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Sep 5, 2012

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Try cleaning the seals w/ a sealmate or a homebrew version of it first.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Scrapez posted:

To me, mids with highway pegs are the best setup. Mids are better for cornering and in heavy stop and go traffic. Highway pegs are good for just that.

On a sportster, the more positions you have at your disposal the better if you are on a long ride.

Any options for fitting black highway pegs on a sporty without crash bars other than buying these and having them powder coated?

elsanto
Apr 6, 2004

DILLIGAF posted:

gently caress

So I need to take the forks of the bike?

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!

elsanto posted:

So I need to take the forks of the bike?

Evidently not, see here: http://www.progressivesuspension.com/dropin/video.html

DILLIGAF fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Sep 5, 2012

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Strife posted:

Any options for fitting black highway pegs on a sporty without crash bars other than buying these and having them powder coated?

I wasn't able to see your link but if you don't need adjustability, they make highway pegs that just screw into the stock forward control location. There are a lot of options depending on year but they can get expensive.

quote:

Front springs...

Progressive makes a drop in kit that doesn't require fork disassembly.

Scrapez fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Sep 5, 2012

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

Scrapez posted:

I wasn't able to see your link but if you don't need adjustability, they make highway pegs that just screw into the stock forward control location. There are a lot of options depending on year but they can get expensive.

Progressive makes a drop in kit that doesn't require fork disassembly.

Well how about that... just watched the video on the progressive website and was surprised, and not a little chagrined, to realize that I was giving instructions for the 41mm forks I have been running on my sporty for the last 7 years.... AND I was doing it wrong.

So I guess that makes me the idiot of the day.

elsanto
Apr 6, 2004

Hey, no worries. That's what forums are for. Thanks for the link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I'm sad to see the XR go, it was one of the few HDs I'd ever thought of buying (although I could never afford to buy new anyway).

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Hey now, they bought Agusta from a couple Italian dudes for 14 million and then sold it back to the same 2 Italian dudes for like 1 million 3 years later. As an Italian bike owner, I appreciate what H-D is doing for Italian private industry.

It's even better than this. Claudio Castiglioni was, if nothing else, a wheeler dealer the likes of which will never be seen again. In 2004 he sold a 58 percent stake in MV Agusta (along with the Husqvarna and Cagiva brands) to Proton for 70 million Euro, only to buy it back for 1 Euro in 2005 (along with 107 million Euros of debt that MV had incurred). Husqvarna was then sold off to BMW for a cool 93 million Euros. Then in 2008, Harley acquired 100 percent of MV (and Cagiva) for 70 million Euros out of which 45 million Euros was debt payments. And finally in 2010 MV was back with Castiglioni, debt free and with millions invested in new tooling and machinery. Rumors from Italy have it that Castiglioni again got it for that one (1) symbolic Euro.

• Locked thread