Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Onion is beautiful even with the punker blue streak. :)

Chido, you may have a corneal abrasion, I had one years ago (and didn't know it) and rubbed my eye, making it 10x worse. Cue 5 days lying in bed in a darkened room in extreme pain.
Don't be me. :(

If it gets worse have an opthamologist look at it, he can give you antibiotic/numbing drops to help it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

The eye is better today, I think. Light doesn't bother me and the feeling of having something in my eye is less. It stills tears a bit and the eyelid is swollen, but I think it's because of the tearing. Last night my other eye was a bit swollen because the tearing and scratching was so annoying it made my other eye tear. There is no pain and the eyeball doesn't really look irritated, the capillaries are just a tad redder in that eye compared to the other, so I think it's healing ok.

If it gets worse throughout the day I'll go to a low cost clinic my sister told me about either today or tomorrow.

Edit: I showed my sister my eye and was telling her how it feels better, that just the eyelid is still swollen from last night, and she started to say it looked more like pink eye. I reminded her that I had a chicken trying to pluck my eye out on Saturday and it had been bothering me since, so I doubted it was pink eye. She kept insisting on it, I interrupted her and of course, she got angry. I love my sister but please, don't treat me like an idiot when I know exactly what cause the irritation.

Chido fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 3, 2012

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Chido, you might have gotten some germ from the chicken that's creating pink eye-like symptoms. Go to the low cost clinic tomorrow and see what they say. Pink eye or a scratched cornea could be serious. You only get one pair of eyes and you gotta take care of them. :(

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Inveigle posted:

Chido, you might have gotten some germ from the chicken that's creating pink eye-like symptoms. Go to the low cost clinic tomorrow and see what they say. Pink eye or a scratched cornea could be serious. You only get one pair of eyes and you gotta take care of them. :(

I'm probably gonna do it tomorrow if it doesn't get better. My eye has not been teary today and I don't feel like I got debris in my eye anymore. It is a bit sensitive to air and the eyelid is still swollen, but less than this morning. I hope it's ok by tomorrow because I hate going to the doctor >.<

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Dammit, sick chicken. :(

Peepsquire, our Marans hen hatched last year, is acting as if she has soft shell egg stuck. We had only been getting eggs from her sporadically, but she's been healthy. This morning I found her fluffed up and kind of straining to lay, but not in the full-on 'eggbound' penguin stance. It was more like she was straining to poop, but not constantly.

We just brought her into the house because her vent was a bit bloody and we didn't want the other chickens pecking her. She won't eat or drink so I'm going to handfeed her some goodies--a mixture of yogurt (for calcium, good for muscles depleted of calcium from straining) and Karo syrup (for energy). I've also got some egg and leftover noodle/ground beef from dinner last night out for her. I lubed up one finger and reached into her, can't feel any egg even when I press her abdomen from the outside while feeling around in there.

She's dripping a bit of water but other than that is just standing around, not straining to lay. All the rest of the chickens are fine. Considering we lost a 3 year old hen to prolapsed vent a couple of weeks ago, I'm leery of what the Hell might be going on. Other eggs from the hens all look great, normal yolks/white/nice hard shells. They are getting high quality feed, oyster shell, dark leafy greens and other goodies.

We wormed the entire flock about a month ago, no signs of parasites inside or out and she's nice and fat. Her comb is a bit shrunken but I suspect that's from her not drinking. It's been warm here but not killer hot like it was about three weeks ago.

Anyone have any ideas?

Edit: After having her in the house and watching her for the last few hours, I'm going ahead and treating for Coccidiosis with Corid, a liquid Amprolium-based coccistat. Since she won't drink we're giving it to her orally every 20 minutes with a feeding syringe.

She's NOT a happy hen and is at least strong enough to fight us, which is good. :)

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Sep 4, 2012

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
Oh, Velvet Sparrow - I'm sending good thoughts for the 'Squire. Hope your treatments help her and tell her we send love and wishes for a quick recovery. :pray:

Was Peepsquire one of the chicks along with Duck that came down with cocci last year?

piscesbobbie fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 4, 2012

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Peepsquire has improved this morning and ate two hard-boiled egg yolks on her own. :) She's still getting medicated water ladled down her throat about every hour, so I'm getting nuclear-strength Hairy Eyeball from her, but that's OK.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Peepsquire has improved this morning and ate two hard-boiled egg yolks on her own. :) She's still getting medicated water ladled down her throat about every hour, so I'm getting nuclear-strength Hairy Eyeball from her, but that's OK.

VS: since the 'Squire is sitting there in the house, could you please take and post a few updated photos of her? I haven't seen a good photo of her in a long time. :)

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Inveigle posted:

VS: since the 'Squire is sitting there in the house, could you please take and post a few updated photos of her? I haven't seen a good photo of her in a long time. :)

Aw, poor Peeps is looking pretty ragged right now and not at her best, I'm afraid. :( But once she gets better I sure will. Plus, we had our cable company come out today and fix the damned thing so our upstream bandwidth is MUCH better, so we'll be testing it out with the cam out in the yard on the chickens soon, probably in about 5-7 days.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Aw, poor Peeps is looking pretty ragged right now and not at her best, I'm afraid. :( But once she gets better I sure will. Plus, we had our cable company come out today and fix the damned thing so our upstream bandwidth is MUCH better, so we'll be testing it out with the cam out in the yard on the chickens soon, probably in about 5-7 days.

Get better soon, Peepsquire! :)

Hooray for better/faster internet! Haha! I look forward to seeing how much the "babies" have grown. Are the babies still sleeping outside? (I mean, not in the the coop yet).

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
Went up to the farm over Labor Day weekend, snapped some pics of chicks.

No Seth, you cannot eat a cameraphone.

Marilyn, 10yrs old and still periodically laying.

One of the gold Wyandotte girls. Can't tell them apart, but this one pecked my leg for more sunflower seeds.

And of course, Louis and his girls.

Louis was molting so I managed to snag some tailfeathers. Then he got all huffy with me so I humiliated him by picking him up and stroking his stupid rooster head. :smug:

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

CAPTAIN FOXY - Thank you for the pictures! WOW that rooster is gorgeous! Do you sell his feathers on line?

VS - remember the art work Peepsquire created! She is so awesome!

piscesbobbie fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 4, 2012

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Guys, this morning I woke up to something mindblowing. I heard one of the hens scream right before 8am. I run to the window and I see a big hawk landing on the fig tree. I think it had already tried to catch one of the hoes when it happened... Roo stands between the hens hiding under the pomegranate tree and the hawk. Then he shrieks and gets all fluffed up. He was HUGE and so angry, he even jumped a few times trying to get the hawk. It was glorious. An angry, hackled riased Roo was 3 times bigger than the hawk, so it flew away. Then Roo started to sound the alarm and crow.

Good job Roo, you ain't a dainty princess anymore. You are one mean mofo

(the girls bought a build-a-bear tux :3:)

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Good work Roostroyer! He ain't no mama's boy no mo' :dance:

Louis wouldn't get off his rear end for that. Our little bantam hen Cloud got taken by a hawk earlier this summer and the two bantam roos went mad trying to fight it off, but Louis was busy hiding under the coop. :smith:

piscesbobbie posted:

CAPTAIN FOXY - Thank you for the pictures! WOW that rooster is gorgeous! Do you sell his feathers on line?

Nah, he belongs to my uncle and I was only visiting briefly. I got a lot of nice feathers from the flock but they're just going to be used for personal craft projects.

Captain Foxy fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Sep 5, 2012

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

AWWW tear in your eye? Chido, he went from clutzy, horn dog cockerel to full fledged ROOSTER! Congratulations Roostroyer - you da man!

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Chido posted:

Guys, this morning I woke up to something mindblowing. I heard one of the hens scream right before 8am. I run to the window and I see a big hawk landing on the fig tree. I think it had already tried to catch one of the hoes when it happened... Roo stands between the hens hiding under the pomegranate tree and the hawk. Then he shrieks and gets all fluffed up. He was HUGE and so angry, he even jumped a few times trying to get the hawk. It was glorious. An angry, hackled riased Roo was 3 times bigger than the hawk, so it flew away. Then Roo started to sound the alarm and crow.

If I saw an angry, fluffed-up, screeching Roostroyer coming for me, I think I'd run!

Great job Roo! I bet that hawk will think twice before returning. :)

Chido: how's your eye today?

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

My eye is better today. I was planning to go to the low cost clinic this morning but forgot to set up the alarm again after letting the chickens out, so I overslept. My eye was teary and a tad crusty when I woke up, and the eyelid was swollen, but I probably hurt it while sleeping, because it cleared and it hasn't bothered me much today. I felt some itching and pain for a couple of hours but now it feels almost ok.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

VELVET SPARROW - I read your twitter feed that Nigel has gone to a new home. Which other roosters are looking for placement?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Chido, I'm SO proud of Roo and his first hawk butt whoopin'... *sniff* He looks so snazzy!

Captain Foxy, wow is Louis ever beautiful! He reminds me of our young roo Nigel. :)

Speaking of Nigel...he just went to his new home. We made the tough decision to rehome three of our roo boys, the hens just can't handle all the fellas and it isn't fair to the boys. So Nigel just went to his new home with a young couple here in town who just fell in LOVE with him, he'll have his own flock of 4-5 hens.

The other two that will be rehomed will be Georgia (light Brahma/Americaunas mix roo hatched in March) and Dinner, our two year old light Brahma roo. I have a lady nearby who has Brahma hens and is looking for a Brahma roo for them that may take one of them.

Dinner and Weedcat are just battling over the hens way too much and making everyone miserable. So we'll keep Weedcat (splash Giant Cochin) and Rafe (buff Brahma, a big, mellow sweetie) from last year's hatch. Bloop, the Belgian d'Uccle roo hatched in March will also stay, as will Scott, our elderly d'Uccle/Frizzle Head Roo.

As soon as the extra two boys are rehomed we'll be combining both flocks into one and opening up the yard to them, so things are going to drastically improve for all of the chickens.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

VELVET SPARROW - I am so EXCITED for you to try out your repaired internet service. It will be so great to see all the chickens!

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Louis is really the Worst Roo. I brought a handful of mealworms out to the henyard and made the 'hey look what I have' noise to interest the girls, while sprinkling them on the ground. Louis comes bolting out from under one of the coops, cackling like a madman, and bowls the hens over, chasing them away from his precious mealworms, and then gobbled up as many as I would let him with this imperious loving look to his blissful half-closed eyes.

He is such an rear end in a top hat. :3:

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Finally finished the coop over Labor Day. I portioned part of the shed off. It is sort of L shaped with main part being 5 feet by 10 feet, and the other part coming out another 4 feet by 3 feet. I wanted to have that shape so they could have windows on 2 sides, not just one. I still need to build the nesting boxes, roosts, and the run. The coop is big enough that I'm going to have nesting boxes on the inside. I have a six inch area I will access through a (yet unbuilt) door so I will be able to have access to the eggs without disturbing the chickens.

It's time for a new feeder.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Zeta Taskforce - looks like a great set up. Your chickens are so cute. Do you know what breeds you have? Any roosters?

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

piscesbobbie posted:

Zeta Taskforce - looks like a great set up. Your chickens are so cute. Do you know what breeds you have? Any roosters?

I want a really colorful egg basket, so I have 3 Welsummers, 3 Barred Plymouth Rocks, 4 Acondas, and 4 Easter Eggers. I used to have 4 of each, but until last week they were still in my basement, and I was having work done to my stairs going down there. I don't know why contractors bring dogs with them everywhere, but he did, and the dog heard chirping and managed to eat two of them before they could stop him.

I don't know if I have an roosters. I ordered all females, but that isn't done with 100% accuracy. My goal is to wait another month, and see what happens, get rid of the roosters, and sell the rest to get down to 2 of each breed. All my breeds are at least average to good layers, it would be reasonable to get 30 eggs a week, and that should be more than enough for me, my boyfriend, my next door neighbors who have done so much for me over the last few years, and still have enough to barter for trips to the feed store.

On second thought, that is a lot of people. I might need to keep all 14 of them. :3:

Chido, how is your eye?

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

I woke up about half an hour ago to let :black 101" Roo and the henhoes out, and noticed my eye is not swollen anymore. It's a bit sensitive to the light and there is some redness, but I don't really feel any pain or anything atm, and the feeling of having something stuck in my eye has lessened. I'm debating whether to still go to the doctor today or wait one more day, since it seems to be healing well on its own. As dumb as it sounds, I don't like doctors :ohdear: so I really don't wanna see one unless I think my eye is getting worse :(.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Anyone here got any experience of keeping hen on woodchip? We need something to stop the run being such a muddy mess.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Chido posted:

I woke up about half an hour ago to let :black 101" Roo and the henhoes out, and noticed my eye is not swollen anymore. It's a bit sensitive to the light and there is some redness, but I don't really feel any pain or anything atm, and the feeling of having something stuck in my eye has lessened. I'm debating whether to still go to the doctor today or wait one more day, since it seems to be healing well on its own. As dumb as it sounds, I don't like doctors :ohdear: so I really don't wanna see one unless I think my eye is getting worse :(.

I say this because I care, but you are as hard headed as my dad. See a doctor. They will either look at your eye and decide it's fine, or they will look at it and then do something to make sure it will feel better, heal faster, and make sure there is no damage.

Dad had a urinary track infection for a week, and he kept thinking it was getting better until he started vomiting and mom ordered him to go to the emergency room. Turns out it got so bad his kidneys had stopped working. Don't be like my dad.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Zeta Taskforce posted:

I say this because I care, but you are as hard headed as my dad. See a doctor. They will either look at your eye and decide it's fine, or they will look at it and then do something to make sure it will feel better, heal faster, and make sure there is no damage.

Dad had a urinary track infection for a week, and he kept thinking it was getting better until he started vomiting and mom ordered him to go to the emergency room. Turns out it got so bad his kidneys had stopped working. Don't be like my dad.

I know :(, I'll go today.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

ZETA TASKFORCE - I would hope those idiots made some type of restitution for your loss. What kind of people bring animals without asking permission? IDIOTS! That makes me so angry.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Chido posted:

Because chickens pecking at your eyes will totally lead to kidney failure. :eng101:

Let us know how it went, please.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

piscesbobbie posted:

ZETA TASKFORCE - I would hope those idiots made some type of restitution for your loss. What kind of people bring animals without asking permission? IDIOTS! That makes me so angry.

Just call me Zeta. We are all friends here. :)

The fact is I'm not really upset. The guy is a friend of a friend, he does quality work at a fair price, he shows up when he says he will. I was talking with other friends and co-workers and they said that contractors have weird bonds with their dogs. It's not like having 2 week old chickens in the basement is a normal thing, and I didn't think to tell him ahead of time.

Plus they cost about $4.00 each, I bought more than I need, and in a way it was a relief it was instant because I had just leaned boards up against each other and I was afraid 2 of them got out and were wandering around the basement hungry and scared.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

ZETA Sorry I was mean earlier! I've had people show up with dogs and not control them at all! You know, teach your animals good manners or leave them at home.

CHIDO - dirty chicken feet (chicken can't help it, it's how they are built!), scratch in the eye, infection? I ended up with hospital MRSA after surgery a few years ago. Long story I won't get into. Infection can spread like a wildfire.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Zeta Taskforce posted:

Just call me Zeta. We are all friends here. :)

The fact is I'm not really upset. The guy is a friend of a friend, he does quality work at a fair price, he shows up when he says he will. I was talking with other friends and co-workers and they said that contractors have weird bonds with their dogs. It's not like having 2 week old chickens in the basement is a normal thing, and I didn't think to tell him ahead of time.

Plus they cost about $4.00 each, I bought more than I need, and in a way it was a relief it was instant because I had just leaned boards up against each other and I was afraid 2 of them got out and were wandering around the basement hungry and scared.

Still, I've known a lot of contractors and none of them brought their dogs with them on jobs in other people's homes, special bond or not. It's just unprofessional.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Serella posted:

Still, I've known a lot of contractors and none of them brought their dogs with them on jobs in other people's homes, special bond or not. It's just unprofessional.

My drywall guy brought his (absolutely adorable, but besides the point) 4 year old son with him when he came out to measure for how many sheets he'd need to order. I'm afraid I kind of hovered around the kid, keeping an eye on him, because come on, it was a construction site with potential sharp debris, open holes in places, etc.

The kid was more of a professional than his dad was, trundling over to hold up the end of the measuring tape as far as his tippy-toes would let him reach with the most serious "look I'm helping!" look on his face. :3:

But yeah, 4 year olds and dogs don't belong on construction sites.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Chido posted:

Please do, Chido. It's far past the time I would be concerned that it had not healed, and I would have gone to the doctor by now. Maybe I'm a pansy, but I would rather be a pansy with both eyes and good vision than a hardass with an extra $100 and no depth perception.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Well I'm back. I went to a low cost clinic here in El Monte, and got somebody check my eye after a couple of hours of waiting. It is a rather big abrasion, the doctor put this dye on my eye to see it, but it is healing well. He chastised me for not going earlier (I know >.<), but thankfully it is healing well and it's not infected. He gave me a prescription for Bacitracin and strongly recommended me to get it, even though my eye is not infected (yet), and gave me some free eyedrop samples he had.

I'm gonna go buy the medicine later today when my sister gets home and can give me a ride to CVS.

As if goon revenge isn't scary enough, PI goon squad is even scarier :arghfist::saddowns:

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Chido posted:

Well I'm back. I went to a low cost clinic here in El Monte, and got somebody check my eye after a couple of hours of waiting. It is a rather big abrasion, the doctor put this dye on my eye to see it, but it is healing well. He chastised me for not going earlier (I know >.<), but thankfully it is healing well and it's not infected. He gave me a prescription for Bacitracin and strongly recommended me to get it, even though my eye is not infected (yet), and gave me some free eyedrop samples he had.

I'm gonna go buy the medicine later today when my sister gets home and can give me a ride to CVS.

As if goon revenge isn't scary enough, PI goon squad is even scarier :arghfist::saddowns:

We only want the best for you! so you can continue posting pictures of your big fat cock

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

daggerdragon posted:

We only want the best for you! so you can continue posting pictures of your big fat cock

I know :glomp:, I just really hate going to the doctor, so I try to give excuses and postpone the trip as much as I can when I know I have to pay. If I had scratched my eye while in college, then I would've gone much sooner to the campus health center.

kirrus
Feb 17, 2011

At long last. Volume Two!
Found this on reddit:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

kirrus posted:

Found this on reddit:

I laughed at this way more than I should have. :)

I just like the idea of someone sticking their chicken in front of a webcam to mess with people.