Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:

Fraction posted:

:shobon: I just want to join in the PI goonmeets! I'm pretty sure there's a higher chance of meeting a celeb in rural Ohio than anywhere outside of a major city in England though.

Awesome photos of your awesome dog :3:

e:
Has everyone seen the comic by Mjaulm on the thread in which Dabbo and A Sleepy Budgie got Dabbo's cat out of a crappy situation? It's pretty awesome.

!!!
Thanks for bringing this to my attention! I hadn't read that thread in a long time. This is honestly the best thing ever :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy

Radio! posted:

Do you think animals can tell the difference between dreaming and being awake?

Ramona can. She has many many dreams about eating, but as soon as she wakes up she still demands I feed her when it's not time to feed her. :colbert:

In the craigslist thread, someone posted an ad for a mini-pig. I remember a poster way back when who had one, but I think he died (the pig, not the poster). How bad of an idea is a mini-pig? They look pretty awesome, but if they're genetic nightmares or bad housepets, I'll just forget it. (I am not getting a mini-pig, I have 3 cats, but I WANT a mini-pig and would add it to a list of possible FuturePets if they're as loving awesome as they look.)

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.
Pigs are pretty bad house pets. They can be really nice pets, but you need a huge yard and they are pretty hard on it so you would have to give up any dreams of landscaping. It's also really hard to find a vet who will treat a pet pig.

I don't know much about mini pigs but I'm pretty sure they're similar to teacup dogs--genetic messes and often they'll wind up a lot bigger than you expect anyway.

If you ever live on a farm though you should totally get a pet pig. I had one called Harley for a few years and he was amazing. I refuse to eat pork now because of him. It feels like eating a dog.

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy

2tomorrow posted:

If you ever live on a farm though you should totally get a pet pig. I had one called Harley for a few years and he was amazing. I refuse to eat pork now because of him. It feels like eating a dog.

Yeah, we have dreams of farm ownership. But I thought an urban pig might fit in well with our short-term urban chicken goal. Oh well.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I never realized how big pigs got until I saw some meat hogs up close in person. Hogs are BIG.

Also they can make some really strange noises. In college when I was on the equestrian team our arena had a livestock holding area on one end and when it had pigs in it making their strange pignoises all the horses went around that side of the ring with :catstare: facial expressions.

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I never realized how big pigs got until I saw some meat hogs up close in person. Hogs are BIG.

Some of them are really awful and mean as well, but I've known nice ones. A friend of mine from school had a potbellied big (and I thought IT was BIG, like 150 lbs) that was really sweet.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
Pigs really want to be able to root around and dig in some dirt. Somehow I ended up reading an ad for miniature pigs bred by someone in my town (the things you learn!) and they were pretty up-front about the need for digging and wallowing/wading options, and that the "micro" and "teacup" sizes are too small to maintain body temperature in chilly weather. So you'd have to balance temperature and outdoor fun. And they're smart and sociable animals. And of course there's local livestock ordinances that might apply.

If I had a farm, though, I would totally look into getting a couple of small pigs.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
I used to like pigs and think they were cool and now they are one of the only animals that I am legit terrified of after dealing with feral hogs. They're like horror movie level scary for me now. I have pig related nightmares.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Superconsndar posted:

I used to like pigs and think they were cool and now they are one of the only animals that I am legit terrified of after dealing with feral hogs. They're like horror movie level scary for me now. I have pig related nightmares.
Haha, cleaning the hog pen was the worst job I can recall fro growing up on a farm. I have absolutely no trouble dealing with animals that I outweigh, and being outweighed two or three times by a handful of animals that I'd seen tear apart carcasses and stuff with my own eyes, and being stuck in poo poo/mud past my ankles.. :ducksiren:

The only worse non-fighting-with moment I can think of with a large animal, was bumping into a random-rear end young steer while I was hiking, who was out of his fence with nobody and no civilization in sight, and he seemed entirely too eager to either hop all over me like an antelope, or hump me (saw Top Secret too many times I guess.) :gonk:

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 6, 2012

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
It turns out Terra has allergies, she'd been scratching for a while so we took her to the vet. We don't know what she's allergic to (her food hasn't changed, she's been on Blue Buffalo for ages and hasn't really had any environmental changes) but so she got put on prednozone, antibiotics and a special skin shampoo.

Anyways, the prednosone is making her super thirsty and hungry, and something else is making her pretty lethargic.

The combination of the two led to her peeing herself in her sleep on the couch today. Well done dog.

edit: I'm calling the vet tomorrow since I'm supposed to check in every week, will be letting her know about this in case it's not normal.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

Oh yeah, full-sized unfriendly pigs can be loving terrifying. I'm not sure of many other animals on a farm that would, in fact, eat you if they could.

Well, chickens, probably.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

Oh yeah, full-sized unfriendly pigs can be loving terrifying. I'm not sure of many other animals on a farm that would, in fact, eat you if they could.

Well, chickens, probably.

To be fair with chickens its more like they're not bright enough to realize that you aren't food.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're not bright enough to realize that bottlecaps aren't food, so, yeah.

Chickens. :3:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

He's his normal happy self when he's awake, but the poor dog is having nightmares :( I wish I could help the poor little guy.
I would take nightmares if it meant Kiska would stop farting in her sleep. Goddamn cat.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

They're not bright enough to realize that bottlecaps aren't food, so, yeah.

Chickens. :3:

All of my chickens would come running when I killed a chicken because blood is food.

Like, I slaughtered goats and rabbits as far away from the other goats and rabbits as possible so that I wouldn't traumatize the others. NOT NECESSARY WITH CHICKENS.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Fraction posted:

Has everyone seen the comic by Mjaulm on the thread in which Dabbo and A Sleepy Budgie got Dabbo's cat out of a crappy situation? It's pretty awesome.

This is amazing. :3:

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

Always check your blind spots before backing that thang up.

HookShot posted:

It turns out Terra has allergies, she'd been scratching for a while so we took her to the vet. We don't know what she's allergic to (her food hasn't changed, she's been on Blue Buffalo for ages and hasn't really had any environmental changes) but so she got put on prednozone, antibiotics and a special skin shampoo.

The fact that nothing is new is no guarantee that it isn't the culprit. Dogs can and do develop allergies to foods that they have eaten for ages, so it would be worth mentioning trying a limited ingredient diet to your vet. Hopefully you can find a solution that involves less urine!

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.
This is why we can't have nice things. I bought this for him because he picked it up out of the bin when we were at Petsmart buying him food and carried it around the store for the entire 20-30 minutes we were there. We got home and played with it for about 20 minutes with this result.

It's surprisingly hard to get shots of my dogs when we're doing stuff, because I either am busy or they are mobbing me. So I went the lazy route and got a picture of him as he lay on the couch next to me and completely ignored me.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

2tomorrow posted:

This is why we can't have nice things. I bought this for him because he picked it up out of the bin when we were at Petsmart buying him food and carried it around the store for the entire 20-30 minutes we were there. We got home and played with it for about 20 minutes with this result.

It's surprisingly hard to get shots of my dogs when we're doing stuff, because I either am busy or they are mobbing me. So I went the lazy route and got a picture of him as he lay on the couch next to me and completely ignored me.
Reminds me of the $35 Kong squeaker I bought for my cousin's mutt who I was fostering for several weeks - he broke the loving thing before I'd finished a cigarette that I'd started before giving him the toy! :P

At least PetSmart seems to have a badass return/exchange program.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Asstro Van posted:

The fact that nothing is new is no guarantee that it isn't the culprit. Dogs can and do develop allergies to foods that they have eaten for ages, so it would be worth mentioning trying a limited ingredient diet to your vet. Hopefully you can find a solution that involves less urine!

Oh ok, thanks for this!

We sort of figured it'd be some sort of summer grass or something since it only developed in the middle of summer, but that sucks to know it might actually be her food.

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.

coyo7e posted:

Reminds me of the $35 Kong squeaker I bought for my cousin's mutt who I was fostering for several weeks - he broke the loving thing before I'd finished a cigarette that I'd started before giving him the toy! :P

At least PetSmart seems to have a badass return/exchange program.

Man, Kongs are usually pretty good too. We use a Kong Wubba as one of his reward toys and that's held up to all kinds of abuse. However it's a bit different because he can't get into his super destructive mode, just fetch and tug.

He wouldn't go through them so fast except that he is very precise about tearing toys apart. He'll choose a spot and just pick and pull and bite until there's a hole, then start pulling stuffing out. :sigh: Or his absolute favorite toys are these little nubby squeaky balls that come in a 4-pack for like $5, and he has them down to an art. He works the little squeaker port out, then he uses that hole to start picking little pieces off. He never eats them, just spits them out and tears off another piece. Within a short time the entire ball is separated into tiny little pieces. Of course I don't fully trust him not to eat the pieces so he really doesn't get to use those except for specific highly-supervised games.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
My friend had to start special ordering the blue Kongs (they show up on x-rays) because her staffy will literally inhale anything and everything in this world. :saddowns: Cannot imagine having such a dog.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
Whats a blue kong?

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=4680858544159&set=vb.152876678058553&type=2&theater
also

"His body looks long because he is severely underweight, he is slowly gaining weight and needs to put probably 30 pounds more to fill up the wrinkled skin on his chest. "

30lb?

30 more pounds?!?!?

People have a really odd judgment with these things...

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Malalol posted:

Whats a blue kong?

A normal (black or red) Kong will not show up on radiographs if a dog eats them or pieces of them due to the density of the rubber that they are made of being similar to that of the body tissue that would be near it. So you wouldn't be able to discern on a radiograph if a black or red kong was in the dog's stomach or intestines (though you may see a foreign body effect over the GI tract). The blue ones are made of a rubber that is dense enough to show up on radiographs even superimposed with the soft tissue organs, called "radiopaque." They're supposed to be stronger as well, but I think the radiopacity is the big selling point.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Malalol posted:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=4680858544159&set=vb.152876678058553&type=2&theater
also

"His body looks long because he is severely underweight, he is slowly gaining weight and needs to put probably 30 pounds more to fill up the wrinkled skin on his chest. "

30lb?

30 more pounds?!?!?

Ahaha what. That dog looks completely fine. He could use some more muscle mass, but body fat wise it looks appropriate. SEVERELY UNDERWEIGHT.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

2tomorrow posted:

Man, Kongs are usually pretty good too. We use a Kong Wubba as one of his reward toys and that's held up to all kinds of abuse. However it's a bit different because he can't get into his super destructive mode, just fetch and tug.

He wouldn't go through them so fast except that he is very precise about tearing toys apart. He'll choose a spot and just pick and pull and bite until there's a hole, then start pulling stuffing out. :sigh: Or his absolute favorite toys are these little nubby squeaky balls that come in a 4-pack for like $5, and he has them down to an art. He works the little squeaker port out, then he uses that hole to start picking little pieces off. He never eats them, just spits them out and tears off another piece. Within a short time the entire ball is separated into tiny little pieces. Of course I don't fully trust him not to eat the pieces so he really doesn't get to use those except for specific highly-supervised games.

Haha, Lucy, my border collie does. It's pointless getting her squeaky toys now.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Malalol posted:

30 more pounds?!?!?

That is so hosed up, that dog looks GREAT! Yeah, maybe a little bit more muscle like Kerfuffle said, but holy crap, he looks HEALTHY.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Greycious posted:

That is so hosed up, that dog looks GREAT! Yeah, maybe a little bit more muscle like Kerfuffle said, but holy crap, he looks HEALTHY.

He doesn't look like a beach ball and huff like he's about to have a massive heart attack during his walk, so he's clearly too thin.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

THIRTY MORE POUNDS. :suicide:

Dog need to swole up because it is 100% skinnyfat, that's about it.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Superconsndar posted:

THIRTY MORE POUNDS. :suicide:

Dog need to swole up because it is 100% skinnyfat, that's about it.

Skinny fat is probably better that pot belly-esque, but they also won't get the dog swole because :qq: that's what they do with fighting dogs and he was a fighting dog and rehab :qq:.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

30 more pounds makes me picture, like, a couple of westies strapped onto that dog. Or several chihuahuas. Do people not even pause to think about what they're saying?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Are there 24 steps instead of 12?

E: Throw Kaydee on that dog. Kaydee's 24-ish pounds. Then add like, a bag of rice. Who the gently caress decided that dog needs that kind of weight? Poor mutt.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Are there 24 steps instead of 12?

E: Throw Kaydee on that dog. Kaydee's 24-ish pounds. Then add like, a bag of rice. Who the gently caress decided that dog needs that kind of weight? Poor mutt.

I'm not sure, but I think it probably involves a lot of youtube montages with sad music and then uplifting music when the now fat dog is shown next to the rescue lady.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Kerfuffle posted:

Ahaha what. That dog looks completely fine. He could use some more muscle mass, but body fat wise it looks appropriate. SEVERELY UNDERWEIGHT.

SEVERELY NOT YET OBESE

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

wtftastic posted:

I'm not sure, but I think it probably involves a lot of youtube montages with sad music and then uplifting music when the now fat dog is shown next to the rescue lady.

It'd be that loving "You raise me up" song from all of those drat gospel music commercials years back. Only there's no way in hell that dog can be raised up any longer because it's the size of the mountain.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

It'd be that loving "You raise me up" song from all of those drat gospel music commercials years back. Only there's no way in hell that dog can be raised up any longer because it's the size of the mountain.

Yes that song exactly, and then at the end of the video they'll have a picture of the dog doing something dog like and stupid (like wearing a hat and looking defeated) and then a slow fade to black over which "DON'T BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER PETS DIE" flashes in large red letters.

I'll take my check and youtube greatness award now.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

:psyduck: Yeah, he needs a little beef, but he looks fine to me...

In comparison, funny face I picked up from Louisiana could probably gain some weight. But like...2, MAYBE 3 lbs...

Watch me see him as a fatty when I pick him up from his foster home...

I also think I'm about to get into a catfight on facebook. Someone who has "adopted" the last...4? dogs she's fostered (even with protests from her husband they can't have any more or their marriage is over) She posted one of those lists that do side by side cost comparisons of adoption vs buying a puppy and the THOUSANDS of dollars in savings plus, you save lives. She doesn't see WHY anyone would ever not adopt.

I said a few words of why someone would buy a puppy (myself included). I'm kind of hoping for a shitfest, honestly, but she usually just withdraws with confrontation.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

You forgot the "and the Bad Man went away to jail forever and can't be within 100 yards of a dog".

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.

paisleyfox posted:

:psyduck: Yeah, he needs a little beef, but he looks fine to me...

In comparison, funny face I picked up from Louisiana could probably gain some weight. But like...2, MAYBE 3 lbs...

Seriously, 30 pounds is a ton of weight for pretty much any dog. Like, my two smaller heelers weigh about 30 pounds each and they're medium-sized dogs. I cannot imagine how that dog would be able to walk with an additional 30 pounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Bear Rape posted:

You forgot the "and the Bad Man went away to jail forever and can't be within 100 yards of a dog".

I did, I'm sorry.

Clearly I have not earned my commission.

• Locked thread