Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

This game is awesome and all, but I wish it would stop crashing randomly while I'm driving somewhere. It's not that big a deal, but it's annoying and always seems to happen right after I've bought something and haven't saved. :arghfist::saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

I got on a bike and rode a wheelie for just under a minute when I slammed into a police cruiser. I threw one of the two cops into his own trunk and drove off evading the cops to The Hammer by !!!. This is the best loving game :allears:

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Oh man, I've got 50 hours of playtime on this game now and I'm still discovering new ways to have fun, and new little bits of dialogue and fun things. I just had the parking attendant complain about his life being literally just watching me choose from a list of cars I might want to drive. I stood and listened to a massive argument/fight in the neighbouring apartment that went on for forever. I dragged a whole bunch of guys guarding a lockbox into the street and slammed them in the doors of passing cars before deciding that actually I should be shoving them in the trunks of passing cars.

This game is best game.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Parkingtigers posted:

I stood and listened to a massive argument/fight in the neighbouring apartment that went on for forever.

I heard this and listened to the whole thing but couldn't make out too much of it because my Cantonese kind of sucks. It was weird though because I was getting flashbacks to various neighbors I've had that sounded just like it. Especially the throwing stuff around the flat part.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Hah, I was thinking today about the one thing this game is missing: the old guys that roll up their T-shirts on a hot day to cool off their fat bellies. Guys reach a certain age in Hong Kong and suddenly they give no fucks and when it's hot that T-shirt is rolled up to the nipples to let the breeze blow across that tummy full of pork buns.

Also, little old lady construction workers.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
There's a lockbox that's not visible on the map even when you finish the date that puts them all on the map: it's at Victoria Peak, which is one of the location names that doesn't disappear even when you zoom out the map and thus it always blocks the lockbox's icon.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I'm about to start playing this game, I'm curious if there are any important things you need to know going in. From kinda-reading the thread trying to avoid spoilers it seems like there are issues with getting enough Triad XP if you're not careful. Is there anything else?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

K8.0 posted:

I'm about to start playing this game, I'm curious if there are any important things you need to know going in. From kinda-reading the thread trying to avoid spoilers it seems like there are issues with getting enough Triad XP if you're not careful. Is there anything else?

Focus on face xp first by getting shades, bracelets, and necklace, and when you unlock face missions do them all. You'll be able to unlock better clothing, so do some races and knock down some parking meters to get yourself enough money to get the mountain master set to get 15% triad bonus.

Don't bother with being a good cop in triad missions, you'll get cop xp from cop missions so kill all the pedestrians as you like.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.

AnotherGamer posted:

There's a lockbox that's not visible on the map even when you finish the date that puts them all on the map: it's at Victoria Peak, which is one of the location names that doesn't disappear even when you zoom out the map and thus it always blocks the lockbox's icon.

Surely everybody just ignored Amanda and made a beeline straight for the box the moment they saw it.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Oceanbound posted:

Surely everybody just ignored Amanda and made a beeline straight for the box the moment they saw it.
I did this on Bride to Be, but with a health shrine. Peggy's all "WAIT WEI WHERE ARE YOU GOING WE NEED TO GET MY CAAAAAKE" and Wei's like "NO, I MUST PRAY."

That's how it played out in my head at least. :allears:

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Oceanbound posted:

Everyone was busy taking photos of her boobs to notice the lockbox.

K8.0 posted:

Yeah, Triad XP is the trickiest to get, so wear an outfit to give a bonus to that.

Wait until the end of the game to grind up the gambling winnings on the Kennedy Town cockfights.

And ... well that's it basically. You can 100% this game without needing a guide of any kind as it's all there in the game itself. Just enjoy driving around, beating people up, finding stuff, and playing it how you want to play it. You can't really go wrong on this one, it's really well put together.

Oh, and if you get short of environmental attacks, just remember that all cars are environmental attacks. Doors, trunks, you'll never run out of fun so long as a car is nearby.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Is there an easier way to wreck vehicles? I think I need 50 wrecks to get that one gold medal. Usually it takes a while by just driving like a maniac.

Wish this game had a rocket launcher. :v:

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Cardboard Fox posted:

Is there an easier way to wreck vehicles? I think I need 50 wrecks to get that one gold medal. Usually it takes a while by just driving like a maniac.

Replay the mission The Funeral. The weapon in the final part of that wrecks cars, and the mission objective is to wreck cars.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I think I figured out why the fighting in this game is so good. It's the (seemingly) random blocks.

Like if you attack one of those strikers who are vulnerable to grapples, of course they block your attacks competently. But there are moments you get a couple light hits in and it feels like your actually fighting someone who is trying to block your flurry of punches.

The "regular" mooks do this too sometimes, except they are vulnerable to heavy attacks. So you get blocked punch, blocked punch, blocked punch, ROUNDHOUSE and he's laying on the ground.

Not to mention the variety of attacks. Leg sweep (light attack, then heavy) is something that works maybe 30-40% of the time, but when it works it feels awesome because it really feels like you caught your opponent off guard with it.

After playing the batman games I was convinced I could never enjoy a combo-based light-heavy attack fighting system again, but sleeping dogs proved me wrong.

Thern
Aug 12, 2006

Say Hello To My Little Friend

Cardboard Fox posted:

I found that shooting out tires of cars make them go out a fiery blaze of glory.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
The little touches in this game are so great. I just decided to go do some karaoke, and I just noticed that during the day the club is almost empty with cleaners milling around, whereas at night the place is pumping. That's pretty cool.

E: Ha, and you can't dance during the day because only a freak would dance in an empty nightclub.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 5, 2012

Doctor Doodler
Feb 14, 2012

Thern posted:

I found that shooting out tires of cars make them go out a fiery blaze of glory.

I don't think tire pressure meters exist in the game.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

K8.0 posted:

Don't stress when you unlock the Jade statue locations on your map and you find that there are two you can't get to right away, you'll be able to access them in later missions.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Parkingtigers posted:

I just decided to go do some karaoke, and I just noticed that during the day the club is almost empty with cleaners milling around
I noticed this as well. Went to the K-Bar to get my Take On Me on, but it was during the day so no one was there to witness my amazing karaoke skills. It was a bit depressing, frankly, so afterwards I wandered off to brutalize some thugs to cheer myself up.

e: Speaking of karaoke, as I was playing through the songs I kept wishing for microphone support and voice recognition. As it is, the karaoke is pretty bland, but it would own if there was an optional "poor man's Singstar" mode. Horribly butchering Girls Just Wanna Have Fun would be so much more awesome. :allears:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 5, 2012

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

I've been loving this game, but last night all the audio from this game just completely stopped. I'm playing on the PS3 and tried re-installing the game data, fiddling with all the audio settings, and even got a new copy of the disc. Sound works fine in all my other games and I haven't found anything about this on google, has anybody else had this problem?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

mrking posted:

I've been loving this game, but last night all the audio from this game just completely stopped. I'm playing on the PS3 and tried re-installing the game data, fiddling with all the audio settings, and even got a new copy of the disc. Sound works fine in all my other games and I haven't found anything about this on google, has anybody else had this problem?
You might've discovered a bug with a PS3 patch. Report it to the devs?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Parkingtigers posted:

Hah, I was thinking today about the one thing this game is missing: the old guys that roll up their T-shirts on a hot day to cool off their fat bellies. Guys reach a certain age in Hong Kong and suddenly they give no fucks and when it's hot that T-shirt is rolled up to the nipples to let the breeze blow across that tummy full of pork buns.

Also, little old lady construction workers.

You know what else is missing?

Actually, no, I can't say it's "missing" because I'm an American. And I can't say it's a major missed opportunity because the movie it would reference is not an HK blood opera.

Still, I would've loved to cruise the streets of Hong Kong on my bike while listening to Faye Wong's cover of "Dreams" on Softly.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Parkingtigers posted:

The little touches in this game are so great. I just decided to go do some karaoke, and I just noticed that during the day the club is almost empty with cleaners milling around, whereas at night the place is pumping. That's pretty cool.

E: Ha, and you can't dance during the day because only a freak would dance in an empty nightclub.

Yup, stuff like how early in the game, you've got to open the doors yourself, but later the bouncers rush to open the doors for you before you get there. Little things like that just make it.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
FYI: Amazon has The Saboteur for $15 digital download. I know that discussion is over, but I just read through it and decided to try and find a copy.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Rabble posted:

FYI: Amazon has The Saboteur for $15 digital download. I know that discussion is over, but I just read through it and decided to try and find a copy.

About a year and a half ago I got it brand new for about ten bucks from the PC section of Gamestop. Could try to see if they still have copies but if not that's probably a decent alternative.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

e: Speaking of karaoke, as I was playing through the songs I kept wishing for microphone support and voice recognition. As it is, the karaoke is pretty bland, but it would own if there was an optional "poor man's Singstar" mode. Horribly butchering Girls Just Wanna Have Fun would be so much more awesome. :allears:

I'm not going to lie, I would have loved this.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

gently caress these crashes. The game ran just fine for the first 10-12 hours and I don't think I had a single crash in that time, but towards the end it's just gotten less and less stable and during the last couple of story missions I was praying that there wouldn't be any driving (the random freezing would only happen when I'm in a vehicle). I wasn't too amused when the game froze during the last part of a long mission and I had to start it all over again. :shepicide:

Maybe this game just doesn't like my laptop, despite running beautifully on medium to high graphics. I should also have updated my GT525M's drivers a while ago instead of now. :downs:

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Finally beat this awesome game, and now I think I'll be trying to get 100%. Is the Triad xp you get for re-doing missions significantly reduced, or is it the same? Thankfully I only need about half a level, even though I didn't use the Triad uniform to get the bonus.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
You only get more Triad XP if you beat your previous score.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I can't figure out how to get more than a triangle and a half in Buried Alive, even with the 15% Triad Gear. That's the only mission I've done that badly on, and would probably be all I need to get full Triad XP.

Hylianbunny
Dec 31, 2007

TG: oh ok time travels involved
TG: thats all you needed to say everythings cool and under control then

Are you doing the chase segment in the middle to completion? If you don't immediately ram your quarry off the road, you end up in another sizable brawl which can help fill it out.

Yes, the solution is to be less good.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Well that's stupid. It never would've occurred to me to not ram a guy off the road. I guess I'll try that, then.

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

SpacePig posted:

I can't figure out how to get more than a triangle and a half in Buried Alive, even with the 15% Triad Gear. That's the only mission I've done that badly on, and would probably be all I need to get full Triad XP.

I had the same problem. As someone else said, make sure you let the motorcycle chase play all the way out, and make sure you kill everyone and destroy their boats afterwards. You'll probably have to stop and turn around for the latter part.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Police XP: Don't run over that lamp post :ohdear:

Triad XP: Blow up ALL THE THINGS :black101:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I don't even give a poo poo about police XP at this point. I'm maxed out on it, so now I'm just replaying missions while running over pretty much everything and ramming civilian cars out of my way.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I still have a couple of favors and events to do and some collectibles to get, but I don't really feel up to it now that I'm done with the story. It just doesn't feel the same at this point. Instead, I feel like I want to start a new game and experience the whole thing again. :allears:

This game is so good I'm actually considering buying a new gaming computer right now instead of after Christmas like I've planned to. I have to play this with all the graphics maxed out and hopefully less crashing.

Not that there's anything wrong with the way it looks on my laptop:

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Is there a better way of finding the last few events I'm missing than driving around randomly until I see a yellow icon?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Does anyone play this with dual monitors? If so, do you have an issue with part of the game window sticking on to the second screen, and is there any way to fix it? I can turn my second monitor off but that sucks.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

K8.0 posted:

Does anyone play this with dual monitors? If so, do you have an issue with part of the game window sticking on to the second screen, and is there any way to fix it? I can turn my second monitor off but that sucks.

I get approximately a centimetre thick grey line on my second monitor on the common side, but it goes away after I'm done with the game. The actual game window is fully on my main monitor, its just the greyish line on the second. That's all that happens to me, and its not really much of an issue since I don't have anything on the second monitor occupying that space anyhow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

victrix posted:

This game is grade A loving awesome

Amazing how refreshing a game set in Not LA or Not NY feels.

I keep thinking Toronto would work for a free-roam. Monstrously huge, 16-lane highway, varied architecture... but GTA:GTA would be kind of on the nose.

• Locked thread