Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010
If you just went by the high profile news items in Thailand from the past few years it would appear that the country functions as an industrial strength bug zapper when it comes to Canadian tourists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
How much of that is really just Americans posing as Canadians abroad, though?

kru
Oct 5, 2003

I don't even want to put DEET on my skin, never mind choking down pints of it.

ReindeerF posted:

If you want to have fun, go check out the ThaiVisa thread on the topic. It's like an episode of CSI as imagined by the crowd at the pub in an episode of Last of the Summer Wine where no one actually knows anything about the subject matter.

This is EXACTLY how it went down. Bonus scene of Compo rolling down a tropical hillside in a bathtub full of glowsticks

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010
Where do the soi dogs sleep when it's pissing rain outside and the streets are flooded?

Inside the local family mart of course!

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer
Like Vegas, Thailand Phuket brings out the retard in people. At least that's what I saw. Some funky rear end drink that people would turn their nose up at during a Euro Trip, all of a sudden fits perfectly in exotic Southeast Asia. Bonus points if snakes/insects are involved, of course.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
I find it hard to believe the Quebec sisters mistakenly drank those drinks.. unless they have no common sense whatsoever.

I mean come on, it's like at Vang Vieng when you go tubing. As soon as you arrive at the beginning 4km mark to start the tubing trip, there's one guy with a make shift table with a giant sign stating "Mushroom Shakes"

Not obvious at all.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, but ostensibly you understand what a mushroom shake is. What I meant was that I doubt the sign for their shake said "Combination Of Dangerous-Sounding Chemicals And Some Deet Shake."

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Before I drop this in here I just want to say that you guys have way better food.

If anyone is interested in a move to central China (Henan) then I have been aksed by my employer, a state university, to find a qualified English teacher to deliver a mixed portfolio of classes to English major students. You would be teaching 16 hours a week, although some paid overtime (optional) will probably be available too. The working environment is good but the city is a bit small; salary is middling to good. This would be a January start and a 12 month contract.

Further details available (obviously). You will need a degree and some evidence that you are not "that guy".

If you are interested, drop a post into the China Megathread or PM me.

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006

ReindeerF posted:

Yeah, but ostensibly you understand what a mushroom shake is. What I meant was that I doubt the sign for their shake said "Combination Of Dangerous-Sounding Chemicals And Some Deet Shake."

No one is going to just look at a menu and see 4x100 and say I will have one of them. If it is called Happy Item or Magic Item people know its going to be weed or mushrooms. It's not like 4x100 is going to be in between a long island ice tea and martini. People are going to know it is drug related simply because its going to be on a "special" menu and going by the name its not going to give them any clue what is in it so they would have to ask. If they don't ask then that's pretty dumb, don't do strange drugs in a country far away from home.

I am sure there are some Chinese whispers going on about what is in the drug anyway, people probably seek it out when they hear how hosed up it gets you.

Or maybe I am giving people to much credit.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
That's probably true, I think I just give Canadians more credit for some weird reason. Like if it had said "Australian sisters" I would've assumed party girls, but for some reason Canadians should know better, heh. This makes no sense, it's just something that I realized I was doing without thinking about it.

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
@any colour you like:
Did you pre-book all your accommodation in Myanmar? Lots of posts on Thorntree saying you should book everything because there are more tourists then guest houses can handle. I usually like to just book accommodation when I get to a place but I guess I don't want to be stuck with no where to stay.

Feeling under prepared I am not exactly sure the best place to look for backpack style budget places in Myanmar. Any one have any tips?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
That's actually true about Yangon from what my friends who've been visiting on business say. It's not the tourists per se that are are taking up all the rooms, it's all the bankers and potential investors, heh. They're overflowing into guesthouses because there's not enough capacity in Yangon in hotels. Crazy world. I assume it'll die down a bit soon.

any colour you like
Jul 19, 2006

Prying open my third eye

imnotinsane posted:

@any colour you like:
Did you pre-book all your accommodation in Myanmar? Lots of posts on Thorntree saying you should book everything because there are more tourists then guest houses can handle. I usually like to just book accommodation when I get to a place but I guess I don't want to be stuck with no where to stay.

Feeling under prepared I am not exactly sure the best place to look for backpack style budget places in Myanmar. Any one have any tips?
We didn't pre-book anything during our stay in Myanmar. We never had a problem finding a room. Except for when we came back to Yangon early in the morning, then a lot of the places were full, but we still found a room (and it was way cheaper than what we payed the first time, but it was like a prison cell).

Not sure how it is after the monsoon season though. We were there in June, just as the monsoon season was starting, but I would say just go there. Around the central Pagoda is where most of the cheap backpack style budget places are located. Ask someone to take you to Tokyo Guesthouse and you will find a couple more guesthouses in that street plus there are others scattered around in that area.
Tokyo Guesthouse is kinda nice, but it was a tad to pricy for us. We ended up at Golden Smile, just keep going down the same street as Tokyo Guesthouse is and take right at the end of the street. Keep walking a couple (or more) blocks and you should see a small sign for Golden Smile. But there are plenty of other options too.

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer
I feel like I'm missing something right in front of my face, but I'll ask anyways:

I've got plenty of time, but it was recommended to me by the farm I'm going to be working at that I get a double entry tourist visa instead of just an on entry visa (US passport holder).

Fair enough, but after looking at the Thai consulate in LA's website they say that the validity of such a visa is 3 months, but then states: "travelers with this type of visa will be permitted to stay in Thailand for a period not exceeding 60 days at any time. The period begins on the date you arrive in Thailand.

:confused: 3 months and 60 days don't match up in my head. Also, double entry is mentioned nowhere on the site from what I can tell. Application form cleared things up a bit. So it's valid for three months, but each time I enter I can only stay for up to 60 days... is that right? So, the most time you can get in the country with a double entry arrangement would then be 120 days/4 months?

I'm assuming applying for more than 2 entries greatly decreases the chances of it getting accepted? Apparently a volunteer visa can be arranged if I stay longer, so that should not be an issue.

I'm sure this issue has been hammered through a million times, sorry...

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

It's 60 days and then you can go to an immigration office near where you're staying and apply for a 30 day extension, which costs another 1900 baht. After those 90 days are over, you must leave the country and then you get another 60 days upon re-entry - this can be as simple as a hop over the border to Malaysia or Myanmar and return the same day, or you can go away for a vacation-from-your-vacation and return after a while. After those 60 days are up, you can apply for another 30 day extension. So, it's 60 + 30 + 60 + 30.

eviljelly fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Sep 9, 2012

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Grimey Drawer
O ok, that's easy enough.

For some reason I get all nervous when crossing boarders and think that they won't let me back in even if all the visa/passport stuff has been done, haha.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Somebody in Vietnam eat a Bahn mi thit and think of me. I miss them. :smith:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Toussaint Louverture posted:

Somebody in Vietnam eat a Bahn mi thit and think of me. I miss them. :smith:

Your Vietnamese joint doesn't have them?

This is my Ulsan sandwich face -> :smug:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

Your Vietnamese joint doesn't have them?

This is my Ulsan sandwich face -> :smug:

There is a reason my list of cities for the next contract is four cities long and has exactly one city with no subway train.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

moflika posted:

O ok, that's easy enough.

For some reason I get all nervous when crossing boarders and think that they won't let me back in even if all the visa/passport stuff has been done, haha.
Coming from my American background, I was initially nervous about visa stuff when moving here, but I pretty quickly figured out that aside from a few rules, no one has any idea what's up. You can stamp in and out for years as a friend of mine has flying back and forth and they'll never bat an eyelash.

That said, something I've heard on your situation is that if you get the 30 day extensions at immigration on your tourist visa, it can be difficult at some consulates to get another tourist visa. I have no experience with this, though, but the idea is that if you're extending repeatedly then you're pushing things a bit.

Some guy also said once that I read where you can fly into Thailand, ask them not to use your visa and to just stamp you in, then when you enter a second time to use your visa, thereby giving you an extra 30 days up front. If you're trying to milk tourist visas, that's another tip, but supposedly it doesn't always work.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
The official theme song of this thread has changed from this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zp1TbLFPp8

To this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0

Morricone
Jul 7, 2005

ReindeerF posted:

The official theme song of this thread has changed from this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zp1TbLFPp8

To this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0

drat, i thought we were still stuck with:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvFpXi3Tvro

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Ja Turbo is surely a strong competitor! I might've gone with anything by Jintara Poonlarb, whose name translates to Jintara Vagina Larb.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Those are p short shorts

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
Was that someone giving her money? Not sure what is funnier, someone giving her money or that she took the offered money.

birds
Jun 28, 2008

I think I posted in this thread a couple months ago about me going to Bangkok in the winter to visit family and now I'm starting to come up with ideas about what I want to do.

I definitely want to visit Ayutthaya, Floating Market, and the other touristy places since I haven't had a chance to visit those on previous visits.

My question is, I like to watch a professional sporting event in every city I go to, are there any professional teams playing in late December to early January (Dec 20-Jan 7th is my stay) that I can go watch? I'd really like to see some soccer or even cricket.

Morricone
Jul 7, 2005

Macintosh posted:

I think I posted in this thread a couple months ago about me going to Bangkok in the winter to visit family and now I'm starting to come up with ideas about what I want to do.

I definitely want to visit Ayutthaya, Floating Market, and the other touristy places since I haven't had a chance to visit those on previous visits.

My question is, I like to watch a professional sporting event in every city I go to, are there any professional teams playing in late December to early January (Dec 20-Jan 7th is my stay) that I can go watch? I'd really like to see some soccer or even cricket.

Muay Thai out of the question? You are going to Thailand after all.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

imnotinsane posted:

Was that someone giving her money? Not sure what is funnier, someone giving her money or that she took the offered money.

It's quite common at concerts with that kind of music. Can even happen with male singers.

any colour you like
Jul 19, 2006

Prying open my third eye
Does anyone know if it is possible to get snus somewhere in KL? I haven't had snus for three months now and I'm starting to go crazy. My lungs are really getting fed up with my smoking too. I'm heading to KL in two weeks and will stay there for 4 days before heading to Nepal. Please let there be somewhere to get snus.

Ok so a quick google search yielded results! Apparently you can buy some at the 7-Eleven across the street from Pudu Sentral bus station (apparently close to chinatown and a hindu temple) and at Concord hotel. I know that mainly scandinavians use this but does anyone know if it still is available? I'm gonna cry if I get there and they don't have any.

any colour you like fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Sep 11, 2012

kru
Oct 5, 2003

any colour you like posted:

Does anyone know if it is possible to get snus somewhere in KL? I haven't had snus for three months now and I'm starting to go crazy. My lungs are really getting fed up with my smoking too. I'm heading to KL in two weeks and will stay there for 4 days before heading to Nepal. Please let there be somewhere to get snus.

Ok so a quick google search yielded results! Apparently you can buy some at the 7-Eleven across the street from Pudu Sentral bus station (apparently close to chinatown and a hindu temple) and at Concord hotel. I know that mainly scandinavians use this but does anyone know if it still is available? I'm gonna cry if I get there and they don't have any.

A guy I hung about with in Penang nailed the stuff on a minute by minute basis, so it's there for sure. :unsmith:

birds
Jun 28, 2008

Morricone posted:

Muay Thai out of the question? You are going to Thailand after all.

I can't believe I forgot about this. Yes, definitely doing this.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Also Takraw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15asVgf66KI

This post has info on how to find a match to see. You'll need the help of a local most likely.

http://www.thailandqa.com/forum/showthread.php?9195-Takraw-a-traditional-ball-game

Most larger Thai cities have an amateur but serious soccer team. You'll see the logos for these teams on people's cars. How you find a match schedule I don't know, I think most of the teams have a website that people go to to find a schedule. Thai soccer teams are renowned for their near inability to play as a team, with everyone from the goal line forward quite sure that they can take the ball from wherever they get it to a place where scoring is possible.

Thailand also still has an active cockfighting scene, though I never went to one. They've got some frightening loving fighting cocks there, four feet tall, lower legs the size of baseball bats. Guard chicken. I have no idea how you'd go about finding the location / time of a cockfight.

raton fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 11, 2012

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, the Thai league has really gotten underway in the last year or so. My local club, Nonthaburi FC (Su Su Ekaa Non!), has a fan site where you can find match times and such. There are a number of clubs around Bangkok, but major localities in the provinces often have one too (e.g. Buriram FC). We have pretty much the best logo:

And a dude who makes Tony Scott-style promo videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFLsY5Xu9a0

One really funny thing about the football league here is that even though it's really dinky and no one's any good, basically, many of the clubs are a point of honor for some local muckety muck, so some teams like Buriram (Newin Chidchob) or BEC Tero (major corporation) basically stack the team by buying a bunch of foreigners. I was on the plane back from Krabi with the BEC Tero FC guys and it was like half Africans and a few Canadians and Scandinavians tossed in. That's not unusual in major league soccer, but it's funny to see the bush league version of it here in Thailand.

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Heavens me, just look at the time

ReindeerF posted:

One really funny thing about the football league here is that even though it's really dinky and no one's any good, basically, many of the clubs are a point of honor for some local muckety muck, so some teams like Buriram (Newin Chidchob) or BEC Tero (major corporation) basically stack the team by buying a bunch of foreigners. I was on the plane back from Krabi with the BEC Tero FC guys and it was like half Africans and a few Canadians and Scandinavians tossed in. That's not unusual in major league soccer, but it's funny to see the bush league version of it here in Thailand.

I went to see a Trat FC game with my friend (Ooh Ooh Trat F C), and we generally referred to the players as Tall Black Guy, Short Black Guy, White Guy, Tall Thai Guy and The Other Thai Guys That Didn't Do Much.

And the crowd cheers whenever a player comes off the field despite reason or team. One of your home team injured? Haha, that poo poo is awesome!

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

Sheep-Goats posted:

Thailand also still has an active cockfighting scene, though I never went to one. They've got some frightening loving fighting cocks there, four feet tall, lower legs the size of baseball bats. Guard chicken. I have no idea how you'd go about finding the location / time of a cockfight.

I went to a cockfighting thing in Laos. My uncle brought me there, it was cool for about 30mins then I got pretty bored. This is the same with Muay Thai.

I also checked out Muay Thai in Bangkok, it costs like 1000baht for a foreigner which kinda sucks. A lot cheaper for a local, I think a local might try to sell you his ticket, go for it. They also have seperate seating for the foreigners and you can see all the Thai's basically gambling on the other side.

If you show up with a SLR, they should give you ring side seats to take up close pictures of the fighters.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug
I'm heading back to Australia from Europe tonight and have a few nights (Thursday night through to Saturday evening) in Bangkok as a stopover. Can you guys load me up on suggestions on things to do? For reference, I've been there a few times and have done much of the major touristy stuff (quite a few of the temples, river taxi, scam ride in tuktuk, etc) so am looking to see some more out of the way stuff.

Also Reindeer / Bangkok crowd, shoot me a PM if you're free on Friday arvo for a drink or two. I'd love to have a chat with some folks who've made the expat thing work, as it's something I've been considering for a while.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Defo arvo drongo yobbo.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug
Noice. I just realized that I get in on Thursday arvofternoon so can go for a beer then if that suits any of you locals better. Also on the general subject of beers, I'd welcome any bar recs as well - I'm not really interested in KSR or titty bars but am keen to try whatever else Bangkok has to offer.

My last time in Bangkok included a trip to a jazz bar which was amazing - there's something special about seeing a bunch of old Thai dudes having so much fun rocking jazz standards, something about the universality of good music I guess.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Thai people have a special affinity for jazz thanks to their love for the king, who is a jazz musician / composer (and who got to play with a bunch of jazz greats during his lifetime, probably because he's a king and all, I don't know how good he actually is but I bet he's at least adequate).

Edit: here judge for yourself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjLSuFd3lfo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
iPhone ate my reply. Solo wake for Vilerat at Bully's until I get piss drunk and head to Bourbon St.