Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

I don't like that dude... I don't like THAT DUDE!

Mobius1B7R posted:

http://www.dugankinetics.com/

The company apparently got approval for it, but I haven't seen anyone actually use it.

I feel like AA would've if they had the money and didn't make a massive narrowbody order. Maybe G4 will? I hope someone does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Powercube posted:

I feel like AA would've if they had the money and didn't make a massive narrowbody order. Maybe G4 will? I hope someone does.

I'd be a little surprised if those sell well in the US, since most of the MD-80's owned by charter companies fly considerably fewer hours than they did in airline service, which means it'll take longer for an operator to recoup the cost of installing the augmentors.

Since American is in bankruptcy, I can't see them spending the money to refit airplanes that are getting close to retirement, and I beleive Allegiant's business model is designed to fly individual aircraft fewer hours per day than most airlines (to save on labor costs), which might make the augmentors less attractive to them as well.

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

azflyboy posted:

Since American is in bankruptcy, I can't see them spending the money to refit airplanes that are getting close to retirement, and I beleive Allegiant's business model is designed to fly individual aircraft fewer hours per day than most airlines (to save on labor costs), which might make the augmentors less attractive to them as well.

Yeah, AA's sending the MD-80s to MZJ as fast as they can. I feel like on the stage lengths G4 plays at with the MD-80s, the numbers are almost compelling... However, since they seem to be interested in acquiring some A319s and maybe even 320s at some point, I doubt their MD-80s will stick around much longer either.

Oh well, at least I can still go for a ride on a DC-9-14 in 2012... I could do a -50 if I wanted to stay in America, but that seems too easy.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Found this on a site that is mostly Russian dash cam videos of crashes.

It gets aeronautical about 20 seconds in. The sound is out of sync with the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjrB7eoBosk

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Polymerized Cum posted:

I love how the 78's wing design is so bird like. Nature got it right first time, millions of years ago.

I saw a 3D movie when I went to the CN tower this summer. It was basically a 30 minute Boeing Ad, but one of the things that they really drove home is that the wing was inspired by the Albatross's wing. The ad basically said that they looked for the best glider in the world, and it was the Albatross, so they tried to take as much of that as they could and put it into the 787 so that it would be more fuel efficient.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The Locator posted:

It gets aeronautical about 20 seconds in. The sound is out of sync with the video.

Holy hell. I can't imagine even the Russians having rules lax enough not to be smashed by that. Obligatory unsolicited ID-call: Su-24 Fencer.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
How about a link to the site?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Godholio posted:

How about a link to the site?

Nothing (other than that one video) that's particularly related to Aeronautical, so didn't occur to me.

Here it is - http://ru-chp.livejournal.com/

I got it off of this forum, I think from the youtube thread, but might have been a different one, quite a while back.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
So, what plane did this thing fall off of?

Bonus V-2!

And a whole lot of bombs!

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Shai-Hulud posted:

Oooh, that's a very good question. Metal construction with what appears to be two machine gun mounts in the wing and wing-mounted retractable gear, but a straight wing, so I'm thinking early WWII, but just can't place it...

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Shai-Hulud posted:

F6F Hellcat?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Shai-Hulud posted:

P-51 Mustang. The shape of the airfoil and the wingtip is a giveaway; the P-51 was the only WWII piston fighter that used a laminar flow airfoil, which is cambered quite a bit different to a conventional airfoil.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

MrChips posted:

P-51 Mustang. The shape of the airfoil and the wingtip is a giveaway; the P-51 was the only WWII piston fighter that used a laminar flow airfoil, which is cambered quite a bit different to a conventional airfoil.
Ah, good eye, I didn't even think to look at the airfoil shape! Would have to be an early model P-51, as P-51D had six .50 cals.

Edit: is it a P-51C?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

grover posted:

Ah, good eye, I didn't even think to look at the airfoil shape! Would have to be an early model P-51, as P-51D had six .50 cals.

Edit: is it a P-51C?

No, it's a D. The third machine gun port is obscured, plus the fact that there were like ten times as many P-51Ds as all the other versions.

E: If you're basing your assumption on the number of ammunition bays, the D still had two bays for the six guns.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 2, 2012

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

MrChips posted:

That's not entirely correct. The Hawker Tempest had a laminar flow wing, as did the Sea fury that was derived from it (e: although the Sea Fury didn't quite make it for WW2, but the tempest was active in WW2, just not very sucessful).

But the semi-elliptical planform would have given those away.

SybilVimes fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 2, 2012

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

MrChips posted:

E: If you're basing your assumption on the number of ammunition bays, the D still had two bays for the six guns.
I was, actually. And you are right, the D only used two ammo bays, too.

4-gun P-51 (The Tusgegee Airmen flew P-51Cs, IIRC?):

6-gun P-51D:

Besides Ds being the most common model, what about this wing is unique to the D-model that gives it away?

grover fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 2, 2012

Manny
Jun 15, 2001

Like fruitcake!
Aren't those invasion stripes just faintly visable too?

Edit: to answer myself, probably not after looking up better pictures of them.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

MrChips posted:

I knew one of you plane freaks would get it quickly. Its been recovered a couple of years ago from a P-51 that crashed in a lake in germany.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
A Croatia Airlines pilot was forced to use butter in order to close the forward door on the carrier’s Dash 8 Q400 on a flight to Istanbul. Passengers observed as the pilot and cabin crew smeared butter over the latch which wouldn’t close properly. The aircraft landed safely in Istanbul where the problem was fixed. The jet passed all technical requirements for its return flight to the Croatian capital. The incident occurred on Wednesday on flight OU350.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

grover posted:

I was, actually. And you are right, the D only used two ammo bays, too.

6-gun P-51D:

Besides Ds being the most common model, what about this wing is unique to the D-model that gives it away?

The shape of the wing root leading edge. Early P-51s have either a straight wing root leading edge, or a slight curve. The P-51D has a much more pronounced wing root.

B/C model:

D/K model:

Beyond that, it really is just a simple game of numbers - there's better than a 75% chance that any found parts from a P-51 are from a D model.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

grover posted:

Yes, but I think they had some others as well (D and maybe B?). Google-fu is failing and I'm already past my 5-minute homework break. :(

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Tuskegee Airmen (332d FG, to be more precise) started off in P-40s, flew P-39s for a bit, then transitioned to P-47s before moving to P-51s. -Cs are probably what they are most commonly associated with, but they also flew -Bs (I think) and definitely -Ds because I've seen pictures of -Ds with red tails.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

iyaayas01 posted:

because I've seen pictures of -Ds with red tails.

Pictures or paintings?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

front wing flexing posted:

Pictures or paintings?

Valid question:

(click for big on the next three)

Last three don't have the actual red tail, but all three are from the 332d FG...the last two should be obvious as to why, and the third one was pulled directly from an official USAF historical site that identified it as being 4 332d FG aircraft.

Mobius1B7R
Jan 27, 2008

Not sure if posted, but this is awesome. I would kill to see this happen in person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9fkmqPHTDE

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

The Locator posted:

IFR also stands for I Follow Roads. Can't read the street signs from 20,000.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Have an hour?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_yHtfGH0nI

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Hey guys, everyone here seems to know their poo poo about flying so I was hoping you might be able to answer a retarded question I have (if this is not the appropriate thread just let me know and I'll erase the post).

I'm a ground school scrub and trying to learn about the mystical, black art of getting an airplane in the air. I think I'm doing okay at that but I'm starting to wonder about the ground school teacher and what he's telling us.

It has to do with VA (designed maneuvering speed) versus VBG best glide speed. He drew the "Total Drag Chart" on the chalkboard the other day and threw a line directly down right where the parasitic and induced drag meet, and said "Okay, and this is the designed maneuvering speed." I was completely confused because from what I had read (and come to understand) from our books is that the lowest point of drag was the best glide speed, not the designed maneuvering speed.

The book states that the two are linked together as a function of one another (IIRC a 10% drop in gross weight means you lower your VA and your VBG by 5% if the POH shows the VA at maximum weight, but that's just off the top of my head and I could be wrong). However I'm thinking that the graph should look something like this instead:

Is this right?

When I approached him after class and asked him if the lowest point of drag should be VBG he said "Oh, well yeah if the engine's not running, but we're talking about normal operations here". Suffice to say I'm completely confused, as I thought the aerodynamic drag profile of the plane didn't give a poo poo about the fact if the propeller is operating or not, and that VA would chill somewhere to the right of VBG on the graph. From what I understand VA signifies the speed that you can yank on the controls completely in one direction or another and not gently caress your airframe up, which also makes it the best speed to fly into heavy turbulence and such.

Am I an idiot and just not getting this? Are there two total drag charts for an aircraft, one under power and one not? Any help you can provide is appreciated.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Edit: You're not an idiot. You're asking the right questions.

The propeller is a source of drag. A rather large one in fact. A spinning, un-powered propeller is nearly as good as a big flat plate of plywood out in front of your plane. A stopped propeller, is like having two narrow paddles of wood in front of the plane. An idling engine is somewhere in between.

Va, and Vbg aren't related. Maneuvering speed is based upon the speed at which the plane will accelerated stall before breaking the airframe. And that can be much lower, or much higher than Vbg. (The gossomer albatross had a Vbg above Va, many fighter planes and some aerobatic airplanes simply can not reach their Va.)

When you lower the gross weight, your Va goes up, because you are accelerating less weight. Vbg is based on where on that curve parasitic and induced drag cross. Less weight means you get the same induced drag at a lower speed, meaning less parasitic drag. So yes, both have the same dependent factor, but they're not a function of each other.

Yes, there should be different drag charts for "propeller spinning" and "propeller feathered" and "propeller stopped."

It sounds to me like your instructor was covering his butt, or he didn't understand your question, and didn't understand the mistake he made in class.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
Cool as hell and an hour well spent, thank you. Love the chute deployment system (~15:15 in). Am I correct in thinking that's the Venturi effect when it is sucking in the outside air?

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

Here's some aviation/desert art for y'all:

Never mix bizjets and acid by Powercube, on Flickr

DC-3 Art is awesome by Powercube, on Flickr

More C-47 Art by Powercube, on Flickr

A new take on a bird strike by Powercube, on Flickr

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
i really want to go tag some abandoned aircraft shells now.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Fire Storm posted:

Cool as hell and an hour well spent, thank you. Love the chute deployment system (~15:15 in). Am I correct in thinking that's the Venturi effect when it is sucking in the outside air?

Yes. Exactly.

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

Preoptopus posted:

i really want to go tag some abandoned aircraft shells now.

If I had any artistic ability, I'd join you. Just go to ARMair in Tucson- the owner there is a crazy old hippie, I am sure if you slip him some cash you could tag anything in his yard that was not a cut up cockpit section.

Bonus Polish oddity:

An EM-10 Bielik by Powercube, on Flickr

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It looks like a caricature of a Flanker.

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

Godholio posted:

It looks like a caricature of a Flanker.

I have no idea what became of the project, but it was supposed to be an affordable jet trainer. It did fly, but all I can find is that it did not fly well.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Powercube posted:

Here's some aviation/desert art for y'all:

Never mix bizjets and acid by Powercube, on Flickr

DC-3 Art is awesome by Powercube, on Flickr

More C-47 Art by Powercube, on Flickr

A new take on a bird strike by Powercube, on Flickr

I love these, they're great! Would you mind if I shared them (using your flickr link)?

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

Linedance posted:

I love these, they're great! Would you mind if I shared them (using your flickr link)?

Go for it!

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

This makes me want to see "heritage flights" where a P-51 is the most advanced generation and the others dating back to WWI...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Just ran across this on xplanes.tumblr

The MAK-UL missile lock detection system on a TU-95.

Want one of those things as a fruitbowl for my kitchen. Probably give you cancer though.