Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I'm in Shanghai. Earlier this night we had a magnificent family supper at an ace seafood restaurant (sea cucumber status: overrated) and now it's past 2AM and my girlfriend just went out and bought grilled pork skewers and grilled oysters with noodles and garlic in the street. The Whore of the Orient has long since retired, but she still offers bountiful carnal pleasures. I'm gonna gain so much weight the next three weeks. :kimchi:

e: should've taken a photo, but gently caress that we're a couple of ravenous pigs.

Force de Fappe fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

In the last general chat thread, someone linked an awesome pumpkin muffin recipe, but I can't even find the old thread now, let alone a recipe in it. Did anyone save it?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eat This Glob posted:

Gotta ask you where Pandora sent you on that path, Miggy. I love Pandora, I love Van Ronk. What was our common thread?

Well I started my main one with Rammstein, Primus, Pink Floyd, and MSI. Eventually Rockabilly came up, and...somewhere in there that song came up. I couldn't say really. here's my pandora though if you wanna go take a look through, and see what I dig in terms of music. :v:

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
@Wiggles, make raw beet salad: http://altveg.blogspot.com/2009/02/beet-salad-of-doom.html

It's one of the few ways I can enjoy beets. And it's relatively quick to knock up, if you have a food processor. I make it every time Puppy forgets that I hate beets and brings some home. Maybe this is why he keeps bringing them home ...

Hmmm.

Either way. It's rather a nice blend of texture and taste, and I especially like it as a lettuce wrap. :)

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

dino. posted:

@Wiggles, make raw beet salad: http://altveg.blogspot.com/2009/02/beet-salad-of-doom.html

It's one of the few ways I can enjoy beets. And it's relatively quick to knock up, if you have a food processor. I make it every time Puppy forgets that I hate beets and brings some home. Maybe this is why he keeps bringing them home ...

Hmmm.

Either way. It's rather a nice blend of texture and taste, and I especially like it as a lettuce wrap. :)

I normally don't like beets either, but I got some really nice beets from the farmer's market with the greens attached the other day, so I blanched the greens then sauteed them with onions, garlic and bacon. Pretty drat good! Was a great accompaniment to the ham I'd roasted up.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

What the gently caress is wrong with you people that don't like beets?

I fuckin love beets. I've eaten beets every day for the last 5 days. So good.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Casu Marzu posted:

I agree with everything he says, except I can understand why people just don't like certain things (that's why it's called personal taste), and I have not had beetroot for a while.

But otherwise, yeah, 100%.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Casu Marzu posted:

I don't know. It's a taste thing, for the most part. I know how to cook, and cook well. Puppy loves when I make beets with red wine and rosemary. He also loves it when I just bake them with a bit of oil, and a tiny dab of cinnamon sugar towards the end to get all caramelised and such. He also loves them in Ukrainian borscht (which I love too). I've had rave reviews on my beetroot curry. But for me, I don't much care for their earthiness, so to speak. The texture isn't an issue, because I'll eat daikon all day every day. It's just something about the taste that's a turn off.

In borscht or that beet salad I posted, there's enough other stuff going on that I can just enjoy the texture. I especially find that if I make stuff acidic enough (with the tomatoes in the Ukrainian borscht or the orange juice in the salad), it tends to clear that hurdle for me. But if it's beets, neat, I'll pass.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

dino. posted:

I don't know. It's a taste thing, for the most part. I know how to cook, and cook well. Puppy loves when I make beets with red wine and rosemary. He also loves it when I just bake them with a bit of oil, and a tiny dab of cinnamon sugar towards the end to get all caramelised and such. He also loves them in Ukrainian borscht (which I love too). I've had rave reviews on my beetroot curry. But for me, I don't much care for their earthiness, so to speak. The texture isn't an issue, because I'll eat daikon all day every day. It's just something about the taste that's a turn off.

In borscht or that beet salad I posted, there's enough other stuff going on that I can just enjoy the texture. I especially find that if I make stuff acidic enough (with the tomatoes in the Ukrainian borscht or the orange juice in the salad), it tends to clear that hurdle for me. But if it's beets, neat, I'll pass.
I made veg patties with a beet base not very long ago. Really excellent.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Beets are really great. We got a lot of varieties this year - the great big red ones, chioggias that I like to slice really thin and put in salads, lots of golden beets that I roast all winter and serve as a main component of supper, and some tan colored ones that I like to boil with potatoes when I mash them. But it's just the sheer amount of the red ones that have me needing the borsht recipe, since I normally only have enough red beets to pickle and thus I never make borsht (and I love both pickled beets and borsht.)

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
For me beets taste like sweet dirt. I don't mind the texture either, and maybe if I had some from some other part of the planet, or some really fresh ones (only ever ate canned ones growing up and they still make me want to vomit.) The smell alone of beets is a turn off for me. I still soldier on and make them for the old lady when she wants them but ick.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Here is Stovetop posted:

For me beets taste like sweet dirt. I don't mind the texture either, and maybe if I had some from some other part of the planet, or some really fresh ones (only ever ate canned ones growing up and they still make me want to vomit.) The smell alone of beets is a turn off for me. I still soldier on and make them for the old lady when she wants them but ick.

Maybe you have that gene that makes beets taste like dirt the same way some people have the gene that makes cilantro taste like soap.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
My problem with beets is that they're a really overwhelming flavor and are often served mushy. Raw and semi-raw beets are good though; probably my favorite beet application is the one Pierre Jancou serves in Paris. It's like a whole duck breast served with beets just glazed in white wine, chicken stock, salt, and maybe a tiny bit of sugar. Still raw and crunchy on the inside. Good stuff.

I don't really know why red beets became the most popular, though, especially with their propensity to stain everything. Yellows and pinks are much nicer to me (and prettier).

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

No Wave posted:

I don't really know why red beets became the most popular, though, especially with their propensity to stain everything.

Cuz they make your poop look amazing. :3:

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Maybe you have that gene that makes beets taste like dirt the same way some people have the gene that makes cilantro taste like soap.
is that a thing? Because I think beets taste like dirt and that is awesome

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
Beets are awesome, the shockingly red poo poo that comes out afterwards is awesome too

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
last time I ate beets it was before going out getting completely sloshed and to the club

I woke up the next morning already feeling like I might be dying, took a dump, and shat myself for 20 seconds thinking I was quite literally dying until I remembered I ate beets the night before. :(

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mindphlux posted:

last time I ate beets it was before going out getting completely sloshed and to the club

I woke up the next morning already feeling like I might be dying, took a dump, and shat myself for 20 seconds thinking I was quite literally dying until I remembered I ate beets the night before. :(
Ah yes, the forgot-I-ate-beetroot-poo poo terror.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I had an I-ate-dragonfruit scare in the Bangkok airport. I had to wait a few hours before I could google "bloody stool" as many different ways as possible. I put it together eventually.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

No Wave posted:

I don't really know why red beets became the most popular, though, especially with their propensity to stain everything. Yellows and pinks are much nicer to me (and prettier).

Reds are best for canning, and this is how a lot of average people experience beets.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Beets with Swedish hash (pytt i panna) and fried eggs was such a great mainstay of my military service that I have to conclude that beet doubters are a bunch of filthy communists.

I mean, beets and peas are the backbone of our defence againstn the russian hordes after all.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Vegetable Melange posted:

is that a thing? Because I think beets taste like dirt and that is awesome

No, neither of those are a thing.

mindphlux posted:

I'm guilty of going to the doctor freaking out about bloodpoop. The first question she asked was when I last ate a beet.

Lyssavirus
Oct 9, 2007
Symptoms include swelling of the brain (encephalitis), numbness, muscle weakness, coma, and death.
I hate the texture of pickled beets, and when I was a kid I was once forced to eat them until I threw up. I still can't eat pickled beet without gagging a little. I love the flavor in other applications, though.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
They rule on burgers.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

mindphlux posted:

I woke up the next morning already feeling like I might be dying, took a dump, and shat myself for 20 seconds
Good thing you were already on the toilet

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

Lyssavirus posted:

I hate the texture of pickled beets, and when I was a kid I was once forced to eat them until I threw up. I still can't eat pickled beet without gagging a little. I love the flavor in other applications, though.

If you like the flavour but not the texture, try making refrigerator pickled beets. They don't get processed, so they stay really crunchy.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
My thing with beets is they also stain my urine so I think I have a UTI and start freaking out until I realize what's up.

Beets rule though.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

I'm almost 30 and had my first beet experience on a salad the other day. I don't know what took me so long.

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy
We (Australians) use beetroot on a lot of things. Salads, hamburgers come to mind. Mostly tinned pickled though (still good). Even McDonald's :barf: uses beetroot on some of their products.

I don't understand why beetroot on hamburgers seems like such an unusual thing. It's great.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

In most contexts, beef 'n' beet isn't a super-traditional pairing (though it's not totally unheard of). Plus normal pickled beet seems a little mushy for it (cold-pickled could work though). I'd give it a shot with a few very thin-sliced raw slices of yellow beet.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
So tonight I had my first real nothing-from-a-box meal in this apartment. I took some chicken breasts, dredged them in flour, and pan-fried them. Then I deglazed the pan with some cheap bourbon I have on hand and made a garlic-bourbon pan sauce for it.

Verdict: :pcgaming: holy poo poo :pcgaming:

I somehow managed to have leftovers so I put the chicken breasts in a small tupperware container with the pan sauce, is that going to totally wreck the chicken if I leave it like that, or improve it?

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Daeren posted:

So tonight I had my first real nothing-from-a-box meal in this apartment. I took some chicken breasts, dredged them in flour, and pan-fried them. Then I deglazed the pan with some cheap bourbon I have on hand and made a garlic-bourbon pan sauce for it.

Verdict: :pcgaming: holy poo poo :pcgaming:

I somehow managed to have leftovers so I put the chicken breasts in a small tupperware container with the pan sauce, is that going to totally wreck the chicken if I leave it like that, or improve it?

If it was crispy on the outside, it ain't gonna be cripsy no more, but the taste will be fine. You might even want to eat it cold, like on a salad or something, since it's a chicken breast and heating it up will most likely dry it out. I'd personally keep it cold and make a sammich out of it.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Please can we ban using the term "sammich". It's a goddamned sandwich. It's only one more letter to type.

Having done some research before impetuously posting, I retract the above, as I now know that sandwich and sammich are not simply interchangeable.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

therattle posted:

Having done some research before impetuously posting, I retract the above, as I now know that sandwich and sammich are not simply interchangeable.

what, did you talk to your wifey

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

What the gently caress is a sammich?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

Do what I did and google it (didn't ask wifey, who wouldn't know these things, being a simple sort).

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Scientastic posted:

sammich:wifey::evoo:hubby

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mindphlux posted:

sammich:wifey::evoo:hubby

I am not sure I understand this but I suspect it's filthy.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Went to the resto to get a sammich with the wifey. Got it and the stoup, but i almost got the salad with the evoo vinaigrette. I bet that would've been delish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

GrAviTy84 posted:

Went to the resto to get a sammich with the wifey. Got it and the stoup, but i almost got the salad with the evoo vinaigrette. I bet that would've been delish.

I hate you.