Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

CoolZidane posted:

I love that it's "He will show us" rather than "He has shown us". It just reeks of desperation. "No, man, he's totally gonna show us his records. Just give him a minute. Really, he's totally good for it."
Most notably the records that Romney has adamantly stated he will never release. It'd be one thing if the chain e-mails had genuine reasons to vote R/R, but claiming 'he has nothing to hide!' when there's been a minor media frenzy is just plain :psyduck:

Of course, rationality is not why these forwards exist; it's to give the lowest of the low info voters the most thin cover story for voting against that nig for that great man, Mitt Romney.

ZobarStyl fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Sep 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

All these lists are just NOT OBAMA lists. They don't even bother to check anything. Anybody who's been following accrual events knows Romney refused to show tax docs, but since Obama has been accused nonstop of hiding everything NOT OBAMA obviously must have disclosed everything.

Also 5 great sons who haven't been in jail? Is this a subtle implication that those black girls must have gotten in trouble? Because black.

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011

XyloJW posted:

Obama has never done "black preacher voice" you racist poo poo. And yes, his records are sealed. They both went to Harvard, they seal your records.

I'm pretty sure it was the forwarded email that was being racist, not the poster you called a racist poo poo.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Thundercakes posted:

I'm pretty sure it was the forwarded email that was being racist, not the poster you called a racist poo poo.

Doubt XyloJW was calling the poster racist. In this thread a lot of the regular posters (including myself) have a habit of referring to the email or facebook text as you because that's who we're responding to, not the person who actually posted it even if we quoted them in order to quote the original text.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

An America that exists only in Leave it to Beaver episodes that are being confused with reality.

Given this is supposed to be a list of contrasts between Romney and Obama, I'm really, really confused :psyduck:

Oh wait, they're white, that's what that "great" means.

EDIT: bahahaha

It's like they're not even trying to hide the racism anymore.

What's racist about Romney showing his draft notice?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Armyman25 posted:

What's racist about Romney showing his draft notice?
No, that's not what I was saying was racist. Sorry, ambiguous.

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011

Sarion posted:

Doubt XyloJW was calling the poster racist. In this thread a lot of the regular posters (including myself) have a habit of referring to the email or facebook text as you because that's who we're responding to, not the person who actually posted it even if we quoted them in order to quote the original text.

Ahh, my apologies.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Muscle Tracer posted:

My tea partier aunt wants to teach me The Fifty Dollar Lesson:

"Our internal logic makes sense to little children, much like the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus do" is my immediate thought.

That bullshit appeared in my inbox as well.

I responded with "Who would have thought, 50$ and a childish world view will cure homelessness! Since it's so easy to help them why are there half a million homeless people in the US exactly?"

Also included some graphs on homelessness and poverty in the USA as compared to other developed countries.

MadcapLaughs
Mar 17, 2007

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Bruce Leroy posted:

You're damned if you do, damned if you don't. If you had responded immediately with a huge effortpost full of evidence and sources the guy would have made fun of you because you put too much time and energy into Facebook debates, but since you have a life outside of that discussion, he's using your delay in response against you as an indication of you being stumped and just making excuses.

Ironically his response, "pfft, come back when you have something new... like proof." was to several long posts where I had posted facts and figures to contradict earlier foolish statements. He's just an old man who is intellectually lazy whose identity is so tied to his irrational beliefs that to question them would be to question himself. You can never change his viewpoint or make any headway with those types in an argument but I bother because there are others reading who are on the fence and I don't want them thinking that this guy might be right. Really his meltdown was the perfect ending.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Nuclearmonkee posted:

That bullshit appeared in my inbox as well.

I responded with "Who would have thought, 50$ and a childish world view will cure homelessness! Since it's so easy to help them why are there half a million homeless people in the US exactly?"

Also included some graphs on homelessness and poverty in the USA as compared to other developed countries.

The answer is, YOU are not willing to let a homeless person into your house to clean your things and then pay him 50$.

The story really ends like this.

The little girl thinks about it for a while and runs of. A while later she returns hand in hand with a homeless man. Gradma yells "Get away from her you piece of filth", grabs the child and runs indoor. She calls the police and tells the girl to never scare her like that again. The child is confused as to why Grandma would tell her how the world works and then flip out when her ideals were put into practice.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
You know who else never smoke, ate meat and rarely drunk?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

peak debt posted:

You know who else never smoke, ate meat and rarely drunk?

Generally treated pets better though

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

I'm pretty sure Hitler smoked at the very end.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

namesake posted:

I'm pretty sure Hitler smoked at the very end.

Out of the hole in his head, right? Is that the joke? Did I get it?

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
"If we don't learn from history we are bound to repeat it!"

*wants to remove all regulations from Wall Street and industry and cut all taxes to practically nothing*

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Bombadilillo posted:

The answer is, YOU are not willing to let a homeless person into your house to clean your things and then pay him 50$.

The story really ends like this.

The little girl thinks about it for a while and runs of. A while later she returns hand in hand with a homeless man. Gradma yells "Get away from her you piece of filth", grabs the child and runs indoor. She calls the police and tells the girl to never scare her like that again. The child is confused as to why Grandma would tell her how the world works and then flip out when her ideals were put into practice.

The real story ends like all Republican fantasies. Grandma pulls out her desert eagle and shoots the homeless man 6 times for trespassing on her property. Then tells the girl that the 2nd amendment is the only one that matters and that the 1st amendment is for christians only.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

BRISTOL PALINS BABY posted:

Out of the hole in his head, right? Is that the joke? Did I get it?

His body was burned along with Eva Braun Hitler's. So they both smoked QUITE a bit at the very end.

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe

My response to any post about the "anti-god" liberals was to mention that the Constitution doesn't include god in it anywhere, so that must mean the US is founded on anti-god principles. Too bad the Democratic party is a bunch of spineless fuckwits that can't even stand up against a rhetorical sneeze.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Monkey Knife Fight posted:

Ugh please help me explain to this idiot on Facebook in an easy to understand way how comparing the U.S. debt crisis and the European debt crisis is retarded because they are nothing alike. It's all I can do not to just copy paste the wikipedia page on the European Debt crisis as it is. He's literally saying well Europe is in debt, and the same thing happening to them is happening to America if we don't stop it!

I'm not even remotely anything close to an expert on what is occurring in Europe. But from what basic information I know, there's a number of issues with this claim. There are probably others, in fact there very well could be some really major ones that I'm not aware of. But here are my thoughts:

1) There is no European Debt Crisis - The phrases "European Debt Crisis" or "Europe's Economic Woes" are the media's way of referring to a lot of different problems in a lot of separate countries without needed to be specific. Europe is not a single entity, it can't take on debt, it doesn't have a debt crisis. What it does have is a bunch of countries with economies which are separate, but understandably intertwined. Even more so since the formation of the European Union. However, when you talk about Europe's various problems its important to keep in mind that their problems do vary country to country. To be a little more specific, without digging into every country's issues, you can pretty much break the countries up into three categories:

A) Doing Well - You don't hear about them much, but there are countries in Europe that are doing quite well. Not that they didn't get hit by the Recession in 2007-8, but they've recovered well. I suppose its not really surprising since no one gives a poo poo if things are doing ok. These include countries like Norway and Germany. In spite of their debts, and in spite of having much more generous social programs (UHC, Welfare, Education) they have much lower unemployment: 5.5% in Germany and 3% in Norway. And their economies are growing.

B) Should Be Doing Well, But Aren't - This would be places like the United Kingdom. The UK should be doing much better than it is, hell their unemployment rate is currently lower than ours (8%). But they made a big mistake, though an understandable one. They got tired of the Labour party, and when the recession hit they decided to go with the Conservatives for a while. Who have done exactly what they promised to do, which is exactly what the Republicans have promised to do in the US: slash government spending to get our debt under control so that businesses feel confident. Well it hasn't worked, instead its sent the UK into a second Recession. The United Kingdom's debt problem isn't so much that it has debt, its that they went crazy over the idea that it had to be fixed immediately. Could have been in group A, but they hosed up.

C) Real Debt Problems - Greece, Italy, etc. These countries actually have debt problems. But the reason their debt is a problem is probably more closely tied to the fact that most of these countries have always had weak economies and unstable governments. But there's a lot that differentiates the US from them...

2) Interest Rates - If you look at the long term interest rates graph on the Wiki page, it speaks volumes. For most of Europe, they hover around 3%, the US is below that. But more important is what happened to Greece and Portugal's rates when things started going really poorly and their credit started getting downgraded. The market lost confidence in their ability to pay back their loans, and their rates skyrocketed. Portugal is up around 10% interest which is crazy for sovereign debt, but Greece is way up in 25% region. That's loving Credit Card interest rates right there. Meanwhile, the US got a downgrade too, and you know what happened there... absolutely nothing. The market didn't care what S&P thought because the market was certain the US would keep paying its debts. As a result, we can still borrow money for lower rates than any country in Europe, despite the downgrade. This leads into another problem Greece and Portugal have...

3) Austerity - The interest rates for taking one new debt are way too high for these countries to take on, so deficit spending to stimulate growth is not an option they have. In order to take on loans at lower interest rates, both countries have been forced to make drastic cuts to their deficits. These cuts, while helping their balance sheets in the near term, have sent their countries into even deeper recessions. The US does not have this problem. If Obama and Congress wanted to pass a law tomorrow to borrow $1T over the next 3 years for infrastructure projects to put more people back to work and improve our future economy, they could do it and get low low interest rates to do so. We have that option; Greece and Portugal's only option is austerity, even though its doing a lot of harm.

4) Monetary Policy - Portugal and Greece have no control over their monetary policy, the US does. Portugal and Greece are on the Euro, which means the EU decides the monetary policy for everyone in the EU. This gives them limited control of their banking systems. But perhaps more importantly, when compared to the US, they can't control their own money supply. If the US had a $400B debt payment this year that it couldn't make, it has the power to print $400B to make those payments. Ideally, it should never come to this, Congress should handle it more gracefully. But if Congress gets deadlocked, it can be done. In fact there's a good argument to be made that the 14th Amendment would require it to be done. Any debt appropriated by Congress cannot be questioned, if we have obligations we have to pay them. Most likely, we would simply rollover that $400B debt payment into new debt because our debt is so bloody cheap. But if we ever found ourselves in a situation like Greece's, where the interest rates were skyrocketing, we could simply make those payments by printing money.

The point in all of this though, isn't that the United States in some perfect entity that could never suffer some kind of economic crisis due to our debt. Rather, the point is that we aren't Greece or Portugal, and saying "that's going to happen to us!" is just stupid. We don't have the same problems, and we have more tools in our tool belt should a problem arise.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

zeroprime posted:

My response to any post about the "anti-god" liberals was to mention that the Constitution doesn't include god in it anywhere, so that must mean the US is founded on anti-god principles. Too bad the Democratic party is a bunch of spineless fuckwits that can't even stand up against a rhetorical sneeze.

Its also worth pointing out that most liberals are Christians too. It a slippery slope when people actually believe that 50% of the country is evil and godless and literally wants to destroy the country.

Also I am so sick of Christians getting into circle jerks about how hard life is to believe in God in America. Or how oppressed they are or some crap.

Being a white Christain is literally the easiest demographic to be in the whole drat country. That’s not debatably, you are not loving oppressed. You life is not harder for your beliefs.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

zeroprime posted:

There's also the thing that the devoutly religious Americans of the time vehemently opposed the ratification of the Constitution specifically because it lacked religious language. If it wasn't religious enough for people in the 1780s, why would it be now?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The only point I would change is about the austerity in Europe because AFAIK, Greece's deficit has actually widened because the austerity measures have damaged the economy so much that tax revenues have declined faster than the budget has been cut.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

rscott posted:

The only point I would change is about the austerity in Europe because AFAIK, Greece's deficit has actually widened because the austerity measures have damaged the economy so much that tax revenues have declined faster than the budget has been cut.

That's a good point to make, and looks like you're correct:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/06/12/greece-budget-idUSL5E8HB3AU20120612

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Here's a new one I got, the images are not changed.

email posted:

These holes are not only amazing, but some are really terrifying! The sheer scale of these holes reminds you of just how tiny we are.

Kimberley Big Hole - South Africa

Apparently the largest ever hand-dug excavation in the world, this 1097 meter deep mine yielded over 3 tons of diamonds before being closed.

Glory Hole - Monticello Dam, California

A glory hole is used when a dam is at full capacity and water needs to be drained from the reservoir. It is the largest spillway of this type in the world and consumes 14,400 cubic feet of water every second.

Great Blue Hole, Belize

This incredible geographical phenomenon known as a blue hole is situated 60 miles off the mainland of Belize . There are numerous blue holes around the world, but none as stunning as this one.

Sinkhole in Guatemala

These photos are of a sinkhole that occurred in Guatemala. The hole swallowed 2 dozen homes and killed at least 3 people.

poo poo HOLE, Washington D.C.

This hole swallows trillions and trillions of U.S. Dollars annually!
The money that falls into this hole is never heard from again, nor do we see any good come from it.

It is reported to be filled with thousands of "a!! holes."

TRULY AMAZING!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Those holes look sort of similar

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Wow that is really lazy. And the comment about money never being seen again is incredibly dense. I'm pretty drat thankful for Social Security and Medicare everyday (especially today seeing as my Grandfather just went through open heart surgery on Medicare yesterday). Not only do they keep my Grandparents alive so my kids can see them, but it also helps take care of them enough that they aren't a massive burden on my parents right before they enter their own retirement, and those programs will soon keep all of them alive and healthy and prevent them from becoming a burden on my wife and I so that we can hopefully, maybe, possibly set aside enough money for our kids to go to college and our own retirement. Also, I guess that guy hates ARE TROOPS. Cause Troops, Medicare and Social Security account for 2/3's of every dollar we send to Washington. I see a fuckton of good coming out of it, even if some of it could be spent better. And thats not getting into the nitty-gritty importance of all the smaller but vital things the Federal Government does (FDA, CDC, FEMA, etc).

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

An America that exists only in Leave it to Beaver episodes that are being confused with reality.

Romney and Ryan seem to represent something more like the Gilded Age than the TV of the 1950s, so it's kind of an accurate statement.

Given this is supposed to be a list of contrasts between Romney and Obama, I'm really, really confused :psyduck:

Oh wait, they're white, that's what that "great" means.

This and the one about Ann Romney were the most offensive to me because they quite obviously using racist dogwhistles. Honestly, what's with the hate Michelle Obama receives from many conservative White people? I just don't get it as anything other than flat out racism, because she seems so goddamned awesome every time I see her on TV and I think she's pretty hot in a MILF way.

VideoTapir posted:

He basically continued victimizing people his entire professional career, and he has the same "gee, what's the big deal" attitude about that, too. I think it's a fair characterization.

That's still not necessarily sociopathy. Humans have so many defense mechanisms and are so talented at rationalization that it's pretty hasty and unfair to just label someone a sociopath like that. For example, Romney could have justified it to himself as, "Well, these people may lose their jobs because they are being shipped overseas, but people in Indian and China deserve to have jobs, too, and if they are willing to work harder than their American counterparts then they're the ones who deserve these jobs." Or he could have said to himself, "Yeah, this company went under because we irresponsibly and greedily took out huge loans using its assets as collateral to pay back Bain's loans and take huge profits and dividends for us and our investors, but we improved and created jobs with some of the other companies we invested in so it's a was in terms of net jobs."

You also have to remember how abstract this is to Romney, as he probably never meets/met anyone but the top leadership at these companies Bain purchased and/or invested in, so he didn't really have any salient contact with the people whose jobs he shipped overseas or just plain destroyed. Furthermore, he didn't live anywhere near these people, as he basically lived in a rich guy bubble all his adult life, and these things contribute to middle class and poor Americans being simply abstract concepts to Romney, not real people with real lives, real families, real hopes, and real dreams. Thus, there's a lot less psychological stress generated by harming abstract humans than in harming more concrete people you've actually met, meaning that it requires far less rationalization, magical thinking, and other defense mechanisms to resolve any cognitive dissonance he might feel from ruining people's lives.

In short, never underestimate the human capacity to rationalize one's actions so they can sleep at night, but again, this is no way absolving Romney of guilt, just pointing out that he doesn't need to be a sociopath to do the things he did to get rich.

These are just lies.

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2012/09/04/dishonest-fox-graphic-god-edition/189742

Here's the original graphic from Fox News which started this bullshit about "God" being removed from the platform.

The graphic is deceptive because it doesn't show you the number of times the GOP used "God" in their platform during the same period.

Furthermore, the Democratic platform still includes a part about faith:

quote:

Faith. Faith has always been a central part of the American story, and it has been a driving force of progress and justice throughout our history. We know that our nation, our communities, and our lives are made vastly stronger and richer by faith and the countless acts of justice and mercy it inspires. Faith-based organizations will always be critical allies in meeting the challenges that face our nation and our world - from domestic and global poverty, to climate change and human trafficking. People of faith and religious organizations do amazing work in communities across this country and the world, and we believe in lifting up and valuing that good work, and finding ways to support it where possible. We believe in constitutionally sound, evidence-based partnerships with faith-based and other non-profit organizations to serve those in need and advance our shared interests. There is no conflict between supporting faith-based institutions and respecting our Constitution, and a full commitment to both principles is essential for the continued flourishing of both faith and country.

Once again, Republicans are just loving liars.

rscott posted:

Generally treated pets better though

He was more of a cat person.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Bruce Leroy posted:

Honestly, what's with the hate Michelle Obama receives from many conservative White people? I just don't get it as anything other than flat out racism, because she seems so goddamned awesome every time I see her on TV and I think she's pretty hot in a MILF way.

As far as I can tell, for the most part it is flat out racism. She's a strong successful black woman who is seen by some conservatives to be aspiring above her station; i.e. they think she's "uppity". Also notice how any time she is mentioned people will scramble to add how ugly they think she is.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
That's a good opportunity to point out their misogyny / sexism too. From what I've seen Ms. Obama is in great shape (not that it matters).

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

Trivia posted:

That's a good opportunity to point out their misogyny / sexism too. From what I've seen Ms. Obama is in great shape (not that it matters).

I think the point is that Michelle is already incredibly smart, accomplished, eloquent, charismatic, kind, and many other positive personality attributes, so if you combine that with her attractive external appearance, it really limits the motivations for which to criticize her, other than incredibly stupid and hateful things, like racism and misogyny.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Are those people replying to one another or are they commenting on some second thread somewhere?  That's about the most incoherent babble I've ever read.

I would also like to read more of what that one guy thinks about Orwell.

edit: ----V I love the phrase "lipid golem."

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Sep 7, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Bruce Leroy posted:

I think the point is that Michelle is already incredibly smart, accomplished, eloquent, charismatic, kind, and many other positive personality attributes, so if you combine that with her attractive external appearance, it really limits the motivations for which to criticize her, other than incredibly stupid and hateful things, like racism and misogyny.

I have never ever seen a criticism of Michelle Obama that was not flatly, on its face, motived by racism. This is not an exaggeration. Hearing her referred to as a wookiee by blobby white trash lipid golems would be infuriating if it wasn't kind of funny.

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

"Off to school to help students learn a little history!"

That's the punchline, right?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

TerminalSaint posted:

As far as I can tell, for the most part it is flat out racism. She's a strong successful black woman who is seen by some conservatives to be aspiring above her station; i.e. they think she's "uppity". Also notice how any time she is mentioned people will scramble to add how ugly they think she is.

They hate her because they've decided to hate her. Being black makes it easier for them, but if she was a Republican, they'd like her.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

p1: Michelle is a democrat
p2: Democrats are hypocrites
p3: Michelle said to eat vegetables.

c: She is fat and wants to burg it up while brainwashing your kids(to eat vegetables)

Don't you guys follow the political cartoon thread? Jeez...

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

VideoTapir posted:

edit: ----V I love the phrase "lipid golem."

The lipid golem is one of the D&D's most feared foes.

MadcapLaughs
Mar 17, 2007

Snowman Crossing posted:

"Off to school to help students learn a little history!"

That's the punchline, right?

Unfortunately no. He is my old High School history teacher. He's been at the school drat near 30 years now.

CarterUSM
Mar 17, 2004
Cornfield aviator
Oh my God. Someone who is saying that she has "5 college degrees and a PhD" wrote the following paragraph when a friend of mine on FB called Clinton a "stunnah".

PhD posted:

A "Stunnah?" OMG is that what it take to run a country?You actually would take a "Stunnah" and then complain why you are so broke? Econ 101 You cannot live in a capitalistic society and have the Govt spend more than you make. Think about it.....Stunnah..OMG [all grammatical and syntactical poo poo in here is SI to the C]

And a bit later:

PhMotherfuckin'D posted:

Simple Econ....You cannot spend more than you make.

I would LOVE to see a copy of her dissertation. :allears:

CarterUSM fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Sep 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
BS from Glenn Beck University, PhD from Newt University.

Your move libtard :smug: