Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Lethemonster posted:

What is the best way to remove paint from skin? I am covered in rustoleum white primer and the stuff just wont scrub off.

I use a beard trimmer to take my goonbeard down to a fine stubble. Then I rub my hands across my face until they are red raw and I wear a beard of flesh.

Then I use hot water and Fairy liquid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

^^^ Like this, but its your mouth, and shit comes out of it.

"edit: Oh neat, babby's first avatar. Kind of a convoluted metaphor but eh..."

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.
So who makes big things of greenstuff / modeling putty that isn't stupidly expensive (i.e. GW)?

Also, does anyone have any experience with Instant Mould? Looks pretty nifty but I'm not sure if it really works as well as they are saying.

Have my marine chest pieces, kneepads, and shoulderpads all sculpted and I figure I might as well experiment with both resin and greenstuff and see what suits my needs best. Resin is kind of scary but since I plan on casting the whole front half of the torso it will probably be a better option.

Pretty sure I can just press-mould the shoulderpad symbol and maybe the kneepad, since it's just some extra sculpted armor plating with a few rivets. Hopefully the detail won't get lost using greenstuff.

Finally, question about the torso mould: If I'm using resin can I just a one piece mould of the front half? Like just press the torso into the moulding material until it is level, let it cure, take it out, and pour resin in it until the resin is level? Seems like it would be a lot easier than making some lego-wall or 2-part squash mould or something like a lot of the tutorials show, but I dunno if resin is too finicky for that or has a problem being in the open air or something. Any ideas?

Bionic Psyker
Apr 23, 2009
I've been making some casts with Instant Mould, and tried a few different compounds. Best so far has been

http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Sculpt-Lb-Epoxy-Clay/dp/B003ALAZS8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1346817203&sr=8-3&keywords=magic+sculpt

Magic Sculpt. It is available in large quantities for a reasonable price, and is excellent at casting detail. My friend had a lot of Empire knights whose horses were missing tails, and 20 tails barely put a dent into the 5 lb. box of Magic Sculpt I have.

Instant mould is very easy to work with, just make sure to get it as hot as possible. Press moulding should work for torso halves, or other stuff with a flat end and no detail on that side.

Green stuff takes detail very well, but is slightly soft and rubbery. Milliput is very hard but brittle, and it will leave a film on your instant cast and eventually ruin its non-stick properties.

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

^^^ Like this, but its your mouth, and shit comes out of it.

"edit: Oh neat, babby's first avatar. Kind of a convoluted metaphor but eh..."

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.

Bionic Psyker posted:

I've been making some casts with Instant Mould, and tried a few different compounds. Best so far has been

http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Sculpt-Lb-Epoxy-Clay/dp/B003ALAZS8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1346817203&sr=8-3&keywords=magic+sculpt

Magic Sculpt. It is available in large quantities for a reasonable price, and is excellent at casting detail. My friend had a lot of Empire knights whose horses were missing tails, and 20 tails barely put a dent into the 5 lb. box of Magic Sculpt I have.

Instant mould is very easy to work with, just make sure to get it as hot as possible. Press moulding should work for torso halves, or other stuff with a flat end and no detail on that side.

Green stuff takes detail very well, but is slightly soft and rubbery. Milliput is very hard but brittle, and it will leave a film on your instant cast and eventually ruin its non-stick properties.

Awesome, that looks perfect. When you say greenstuff is softer, how soft would you say it is compared to the plastic GW kits are made of? I don't want anything super brittle because I want to actually play with them, but I also don't want it to be so soft that it gets smashed or holds brushstrokes or something.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
The toenails on the Helbrute creep me the gently caress out.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

bhsman posted:

The toenails on the Helbrute creep me the gently caress out.

Oh god me too. They have a Troma vibe to them that rubs me the wrong way.

tasty food
Apr 29, 2010
Hello! makin' a crosspost.

Just getting back into tabletop and painting recently. Here is an Ahriman that I just finished.

Sorry for the lovely cell phone pics and lack of a fancy photo booth. Criticism is welcome, I want to get to where i'm not embarrassed to put things on the table, or show people on the internet.

My self evaluation so far; I put the most effort into the robes, as for the rest of it I think it is both the picture and the paintjob. The ridges on the bones are much lighter and the spaces between darker, and the bronzed metal effect is more obviously a frame for the bones in real life. At the same time I was trying to make the skin on the backpack and the faces of the poles greyish, fleshy but a little pallid, with more brown on the bones. I can't really see that the difference between them, and one of the bigger things I am worried about is mixing a lot of colors together wrong and coming out with a boring monochrome(ish) scheme. It looks like my next hobby project should be setting up a place to take pictures.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Honey Badger posted:

So who makes big things of greenstuff / modeling putty that isn't stupidly expensive (i.e. GW)?

Greenstuff, when not marked up by Games Workshop, is sold as Kneadatite blue/yelllow. Should be cheaper for considerably larger volume of exactly the same product.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.
Doing some cross posting. Should have oathed this guy, but wasn't sure if I'd finish him. Oh well! Infinity miniatures are amazing but god drat hard to paint.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

This seems like a stupid question, as much of it as I've already assembled, so think of it more as a crowd poll: What's the best glue for resin, particularly heavy resin?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Red Shoe posted:

I like the sound of EZ water. I would be pouring it onto painted gap filler on top of MDF so I don't think the heat would be an issue. Do you know if the water will accept coloration without interfering with the process? Specifically, Vallejo Smoke in this case.

If you're doing colored water then your only option is cold resin or Envirotex. Its what GW uses for their display boards for a reason. Just make sure it doesn't touch any unpainted foam because it will render that into a sloppy paste. Envirotex is good for areas of water that need to be less than a few CM thick, anything denser and you'll need resin.

Example of a well done resin piece:
http://www.reapermini.com/Thecraft/49

Envirotex is actually a gloss like you would use on a bartop. It dries into an incredibly shiny layer about a few MM thick (hence why its used to protect bartops, tables and that sort of thing). It's tough, it just doesn't do depth that well, but it will hold color if you mix it in.

El Estrago Bonito fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Sep 5, 2012

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Fix posted:

This seems like a stupid question, as much of it as I've already assembled, so think of it more as a crowd poll: What's the best glue for resin, particularly heavy resin?
Super glue? do you mean brands? I always use Gorilla glue, because that poo poo is ridiculously good.

Bionic Psyker
Apr 23, 2009

Honey Badger posted:

Awesome, that looks perfect. When you say greenstuff is softer, how soft would you say it is compared to the plastic GW kits are made of? I don't want anything super brittle because I want to actually play with them, but I also don't want it to be so soft that it gets smashed or holds brushstrokes or something.

The casts I've done with greenstuff have been considerably softer than GW plastics. Like you can indent them with your thumbnail. Some people really like it though. Or you could try kneadatite brown or grey stuff, which cures harder. Definitely don't buy the GW brand at least, the kneadatite stuff that's sold I think as a plumber's or handyman's putty is the same stuff.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

moths posted:

Technically 28mm translates to 1:56, but Space Marines run a little small for scale.

Extremely useful source

That's cool, thanks for the link - the cars seem to be the perfect size so I'm going to make a barrier or two out of 'wrecked' versions...it'll be a nice change of scenery, so to speak!

pucapuca
Sep 24, 2002

Lucca: "All right! Now what's your name?"
Robot: "Name? Ah, my serial number. It is R-66Y."
Done painting, now I need to make a special Y2.3K base.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

pucapuca posted:

Done painting, now I need to make a special Y2.3K base.

:krad: That's so cool

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!

El Estrago Bonito posted:

If you're doing colored water then your only option is cold resin or Envirotex. Its what GW uses for their display boards for a reason. Just make sure it doesn't touch any unpainted foam because it will render that into a sloppy paste. Envirotex is good for areas of water that need to be less than a few CM thick, anything denser and you'll need resin.

Example of a well done resin piece:
http://www.reapermini.com/Thecraft/49

Envirotex is actually a gloss like you would use on a bartop. It dries into an incredibly shiny layer about a few MM thick (hence why its used to protect bartops, tables and that sort of thing). It's tough, it just doesn't do depth that well, but it will hold color if you mix it in.

That's a great tutorial, thanks for the link.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Flipswitch posted:

Super glue? do you mean brands? I always use Gorilla glue, because that poo poo is ridiculously good.

Doesn't Gorilla Glue expand?

BigDumbWhale
Apr 24, 2011

Fix posted:

Not the Gorilla Super Glue. Just the normal stuff.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Fix posted:

I can't say it ever has for any of my miniatures.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
So I just made these dudes for blood bowl but now everyone is getting excited about starting up a Necromunda league. I still win?!

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

BigDumbWhale posted:

Not the Gorilla Super Glue. Just the normal stuff.

Ah. Ok, I'll give it a shot, thanks.

I picked up a couple of these flying junker ships for my next board project. They're really cool, great casts and everything, but that is one giant hunk of resin, with a bunch of wispy thin panels and poles that attach to it. I may have to paint up sections of it before gluing them on, so that'll be interesting, to see if I can get those to stick.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

That thing looks boss, where is it from?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Fix posted:

For heavy stuff like my Thunderbolt, I use Araldite Rapid.

pucapuca
Sep 24, 2002

Lucca: "All right! Now what's your name?"
Robot: "Name? Ah, my serial number. It is R-66Y."

Fix posted:

Gorilla Glue

I've been using Gorilla super glue for a long time now. Used it on some Forge World resin models, and it doesn't stick right away like it does on plastics. It's just like gluing metal.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Ashcans posted:

That thing looks boss, where is it from?

Industria Mechanika. Based off artwork by Ian McQue.

They do limited runs of really weird and interesting designs. This one is sold out, now, but you can have them update you if they do another run. I'd been waiting on this one for a good long while. Pricey, but I think I'm going to get a lot of use out of these. I'd better, anyway.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Do you use the boats for Infinity or 40K or something else?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

krushgroove posted:

Do you use the boats for Infinity or 40K or something else?

Both, ideally. They're to be part of an Infinity board, but I was hoping to figure out a way to fit them into an Ork army. Allied Grots in flying boats counts-as-Dark Eldar or something dumb like that.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Fix posted:

Both, ideally. They're to be part of an Infinity board, but I was hoping to figure out a way to fit them into an Ork army. Allied Grots in flying boats counts-as-Dark Eldar or something dumb like that.

If by something dumb you mean the best idea I have ever heard then sure.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

What is the name of the product that is essentially a nice, premixed pvc glue + sand? Google is failing me.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

counterspin posted:

What is the name of the product that is essentially a nice, premixed pvc glue + sand? Google is failing me.

Vallejo Black Lava is the one most people (including me) pimp in this thread. It's not really glue though, in that it isn't good for gluing anything except itself to th e base. But it spreads well and has good texture.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

Fix posted:

Industria Mechanika. Based off artwork by Ian McQue.

They do limited runs of really weird and interesting designs. This one is sold out, now, but you can have them update you if they do another run. I'd been waiting on this one for a good long while. Pricey, but I think I'm going to get a lot of use out of these. I'd better, anyway.

Michael Fichtenmayer, the guy who founded Industria Mechanika, has a really awesome personal blog. Mostly focusing on modeling/painting his own products; but they are really thorough step by steps

Check it out here

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Holy poo poo those are some good links. Those guys make me jealous as hell, beautiful illustration, graphic design, and 3d work all together in blog like that. Unf

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
2 trukks built, all in a good evening's worth of work (lovely camera phone pictures incoming):

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Daedleh posted:

2 trukks built, all in a good evening's worth of work (lovely camera phone pictures incoming):

Gorkamorka? Please continue to inspire me, sir! :allears:

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I need to get some inspiration and motivation to get back to painting. I just can't feel comfortable putting money down to replenish the paints I've ran out of and get new models to paint if I can't come up with something more interesting than Chaos Black space marines.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Chance II posted:

So I just made these dudes for blood bowl but now everyone is getting excited about starting up a Necromunda league. I still win?!

Everyone's favorite football team, the Fightin' Gandhis.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
Cross posting!

Almost done with these Wulfen. I could put some more effort into cleaning up some of the details, but there are just so many fiddly strings and talons. I like how they turned out though. The Chaos bits aren't terribly obvious like I thought they would be.

I was super surprised how the skin turned out.

GW's guide to painting skin actually helped me out alot.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Bavius posted:

Cross posting!

Almost done with these Wulfen. I could put some more effort into cleaning up some of the details, but there are just so many fiddly strings and talons. I like how they turned out though. The Chaos bits aren't terribly obvious like I thought they would be.

I was super surprised how the skin turned out.

GW's guide to painting skin actually helped me out alot.

These are looking great man, only thing I would suggest would be hitting the teeth with a brown or sepia wash to tone them down a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

counterspin posted:

Pumic gel.. It comes in a few different textures and varieties, ranging from fine to extra coarse, and there's even a crackle-based one that can give a neat cracked look that would be good for a lava floor effect. You can usually find this particular brand at Michaels, though I'm sure there's other brands out there that do the same thing.

• Locked thread