Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Giedroyc posted:

Yeah when Nathan Barley came out people were bemoaning the Godlike Morris working with that talentless nobody Brooker. People were even claiming on wonderfully pleb hating forums like sotcaa, that Brooker's work on the Brass Eye special was why it wasn't as good as the original series.

Who has been hating on paedogeddon? these people have no taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
I realised quite recently that I have been an inadvertent fan of Charlie Brooker for a large portion of my life.

I used to read 'Oink' magazine many many years ago, (1986!!) he contributed some cartoons to it (it was an amazing comic, probably not suitable for a 6 year old to read but thank gods my Dad had/has an awesome sense of humour.) as well as loving PC Zone and Superkaylo, and it was cool to find out that he was behind those in some way.

On the subject of Chris Morris I actually stood face to face with him at the Old Vic in 2003...I turned round and BAM there he was, right in front of me!!! I was so shocked I just went uhhhhhhhhhhhhh duhhhhhh, I mean what do you say to someone THAT awesome when you are totally unprepared??

He walked off and I stood there for a few seconds and inwardly kicked myself. He was very tall, wearing some sort of mad scarf and his hair was very curly and messy, not at all like his 'Day Today' persona. I'm rubbish when it comes to meeting famous people, especially ones that I somewhat idolise.

I like Nathan Barley, I watched it recently, but it gives me a real uncomfortable/claustrophobic feel. I don't really know why. Funny to see Ben Wishaw as little Pingu...he's doing pretty well for himself and holy crap he's playing Q in the new James Bond film??!!??

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
I tried watching Bad Education and it's poo poo and Jack Whitehall is a oval office. The Revolution Will Not Be Televised remains awful. That is my 'comedy' report for today.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
I loved Nathan Barley the first time round. I can imagine that the show has probably aged pretty badly, but might be worth a rewatch now that I've become a media twat myself.

Rondette posted:

On the subject of Chris Morris I actually stood face to face with him at the Old Vic in 2003...I turned round and BAM there he was, right in front of me!!! I was so shocked I just went uhhhhhhhhhhhhh duhhhhhh, I mean what do you say to someone THAT awesome when you are totally unprepared??

I went to see Tim and Eric's live show, and at the bar found myself in front of Graham Linehan. I reeeeeeally didn't know what to say to him, because the guy is my loving hero. I mean, maybe he'd be flattered to be recognised, as he hasn't appeared on screen that often. But I decided not to disturb him and just gave him the dumbest grin before blushing and hiding. Then I spent the night thinking of a thousand clever things I should have said.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Oh, god, I loved Nathan Barley, but I'm an admitted fanboy for both Brooker and Morris.

People hating on Paedogeddon?! Debatably the best thing Brass Eye ever done?!

:colbert:

On the subject, I wasn't around here for it, what was the Pier's reaction to Black Mirror?

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Akuma posted:

I dunno, what did Dobby ever do?

She made Mark watch the box set of Prison Break

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

VogeGandire posted:

On the subject, I wasn't around here for it, what was the Pier's reaction to Black Mirror?

Mostly positive I believe.

Personally I enjoyed them all, 15 million merits was the broadest and most obvious, but within those limitations was surprisingly moving, it's probably the one I enjoyed most while watching it. I actually think The Entire History of You will be the one that ages best, it seemed the most nuanced to me and was less of a black comedy than the other two.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
Well you know the rather grating white knight to the death fanboys Brooker currently attracts? Well in the early 2000s Chris Morris was the deity those sorts worshipped (whilst sneering at people who quoted Papa Lazarou). So when Paedogeddon had a few flat bits (which it did) they were quick to blame the then largely unknown writer their God permitted to help write it. I'm not sure if Brooker drones have founded their own site like Morris drones did with cook'd and bomb'd though.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Fatkraken posted:

Mostly positive I believe.

Personally I enjoyed them all, 15 million merits was the broadest and most obvious, but within those limitations was surprisingly moving, it's probably the one I enjoyed most while watching it. I actually think The Entire History of You will be the one that ages best, it seemed the most nuanced to me and was less of a black comedy than the other two.

Yeah, I'd agree with TEHoY being the one that'll age best, just because it's the least tied to current news etc. Although, oddly enough, TEHoY was the one I enjoyed least on first watch. Now I'd probably say my order goes 15MM > TNA > TEHoY.

I just want to see the new series to see if they can keep up the standard.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

netally posted:

I went to see Tim and Eric's live show, and at the bar found myself in front of Graham Linehan. I reeeeeeally didn't know what to say to him, because the guy is my loving hero. I mean, maybe he'd be flattered to be recognised, as he hasn't appeared on screen that often. But I decided not to disturb him and just gave him the dumbest grin before blushing and hiding. Then I spent the night thinking of a thousand clever things I should have said.

You should have said "IIIIIIIII don't believe it." :)

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The Entire History of You strikes me as a concept that really needed 90 or 120 minutes to be explored fully and properly. In a way I wish he could have saved it and done a film of it because that could have been such an enormous smash hit.

netally posted:

Ah, 'tis better to remain silent and be thought a fool...

meme
Oct 7, 2009

But it's a pretty good way to get someone to spend money on buying you an av and sig. Maybe I should be really obnoxious and get an upgrade myself

Moral of the story: be careful what you wish for.

You are welcome.
So, good cop tonight? Pretty gripping stuff and dark, too. Good drama!

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Mickolution posted:

Yeah, it's a cliche to say it, but The Day Today really doesn't look that ridiculous any more when you watch today's news. As for Barley, I'm not sure if it was as much predicting the future as that'd the type of oval office he and Brooker were coming into contact with in London "media circles" and the rest of the country just didn't get it on the same level.

I've heard that theory before, everyone I know loved it at the time but then again Glasgow has several TV studios, an art school, and a whole bunch of media/design startups, and a massive music scene. It was pretty Barley-esque in 2005 and even more so now (though obviously not as much as Shoreditch).

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

keep punching joe posted:

I've heard that theory before, everyone I know loved it at the time but then again Glasgow has several TV studios, an art school, and a whole bunch of media/design startups, and a massive music scene. It was pretty Barley-esque in 2005 and even more so now (though obviously not as much as Shoreditch).

Yeah, you can go to the west end, spit into the wind, and hit someone who makes up words to say "good".

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Nathan Barley spells out its premise entirely in the first 5 minutes of the very first episode. I don't think people had trouble getting the joke to be honest.

Leyburn fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Sep 7, 2012

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Mickolution posted:

You should have said "IIIIIIIII don't believe it." :)

Ha, I kinda wish I had. It would have been so soul-crushingly awkward that it might have been funny.

Leyburn posted:

Nathan Barley spells out its premise entirely in the first 5 minutes of the very first episode. I don't think people had trouble getting the joke to be honest.

Shoulda just kept the title as oval office. Probably would have given the show a lot more attention.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Leyburn posted:

People wouldn't laugh at Peter Kay if they hadn't lived in the 80's and/or been a kid once. Without the frame of reference that being in contact with that sort of media twat provides, the joke falls flat.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

netally posted:

He's wrote and created some great sitcoms but the guy seems so loving obnoxious on twitter its like a direct feed to reddit.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Leon with a Zero posted:

He's wrote and created some great sitcoms but the guy seems so loving obnoxious on twitter its like a direct feed to reddit.

His work definitely suffers when there's no Arthur Matthews

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

VogeGandire posted:

Peep Show is, in my reckon, the best sitcom ever made. Every character in it is absolutely perfect.

I dunno, that American woman and the Eastern European were pretty weak characters. Those Australians as well. Basically all the foreign characters are paper thin.

Akuma posted:

I dunno, what did Dobby ever do?

Sexually assaulted David Mitchell in a stationary cupboard.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I don't know man I'm pretty sure that was consensual. Awkward, but consensual.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

FreakyZoid posted:

People wouldn't laugh at Peter Kay if they hadn't lived in the 80's and/or been a kid once. Without the frame of reference that being in contact with that sort of media twat provides, the joke falls flat.

I feel like that's not entirely true, to be honest. I'm sure it helps, but I feel like if you're a comedy "type" you'll have come across enough references and stuff to get the idea even if you miss some of the more subtle bits. In the case of Nathan Barley, it might even be that people copying it later on in other shows make the initial one easier to understand - the most recent example I can think of is the PR person in 2012, particularly the scenes where she goes back to her company.

I guess it's kinda like how Romeo and Juliet can seem a bit mediocre now cos it's the foundation of all modern love stories so the story doesn't really seem very new. (Yes, I am comparing Chris Morris to Shakespeare. I think it's a fair comparison. Shakespeare did do some good stuff if you look hard enough.)

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Jonnty posted:

I guess it's kinda like how Romeo and Juliet can seem a bit mediocre now cos it's the foundation of all modern love stories. (Yes, I am comparing Chris Morris to Shakespeare. I think it's a fair comparison. Shakespeare did do some good stuff if you look hard enough.)

Well, I prefer Shakespeare's early work, before he went all mainstream. :smug:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Akuma posted:

I don't know man I'm pretty sure that was consensual. Awkward, but consensual.

Well, Mark makes it pretty obvious he doesn't really know what's going on for most of it.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
He knows what's going on, he's just shocked it's happening and doesn't know how to deal with it.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

VogeGandire posted:

Well, Mark makes it pretty obvious he doesn't really know what's going on for most of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A41A6bE07Ts&t=659s

I'm pretty sure he knows exactly what's going on.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
For all the people talking about People Like Us, Twenty Twelve was really good and by the same creator. I wasn't a big fan of the first series, but the second series and the specials definitely improve. The narration is actually completely the same, just by Tennant instead of Langham.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Terry Nutkins died. :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-19520824

He was always the best on the Really Wild Show (Packham a close second).

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

NUUUTKIIIIIIN!

:(

It's only a matter of time until Rolf goes. And the universe stops.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

stickyfngrdboy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A41A6bE07Ts&t=659s

I'm pretty sure he knows exactly what's going on.

I love Peep Show, but sometimes I really struggle to watch it. It's just so incredibly awkward. That scene is fantastic though.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

NaDy posted:

That's sad, they announced it while I was driving my car and I 'NOOOOOOOOOOOO'd'....dunno what the bloke next to me in the traffic was thinking I was doing. Man, I used to love 'The Really Wild Show'

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

pointsofdata posted:

I love Peep Show, but sometimes I really struggle to watch it. It's just so incredibly awkward. That scene is fantastic though.

I can't handle the awkwardness in Peep Show. It's just so cringe worthy, and I find other peoples embarrassment/shame contagious. Seeing other people gently caress-up is just not funny for me.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The cringe inducing stuff only really works when you're given something to laugh at, and on occasion they just completely forget. Like the episode in which Mark is manipulated by his Australian flatmate, which has the most depressing ending to an episode of the show that I have ever seen. It makes you cringe, but its not funny.

Compare that to his freaking out during the wedding episode in which Mark does increasingly embarrassing stuff but its made funny by his reactions and his thoughts.

That said the show is worth watching just to hear the way Johnson says "Frankfurt".

And bring back Nancy.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Gorn Myson posted:

The cringe inducing stuff only really works when you're given something to laugh at, and on occasion they just completely forget. Like the episode in which Mark is manipulated by his Australian flatmate, which has the most depressing ending to an episode of the show that I have ever seen. It makes you cringe, but its not funny.

Compare that to his freaking out during the wedding episode in which Mark does increasingly embarrassing stuff but its made funny by his reactions and his thoughts.

That said the show is worth watching just to hear the way Johnson says "Frankfurt".

And bring back Nancy.

Oh, god, that episode. You just feel...empty at the end.

The Wedding is my favourite episode of all time. It's just the bittersweet ending, with Mark and Jeremy driving away, and their conversation. "I'll just stick this on the pile of mouldering resentments." "Yeah, stick it on the bill."

Fronkfort.

I really didn't like Nancy. She just irritated me. Although Zahra was even worse. Bring back Big Suze.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

NaDy posted:

I remember him more from Animal Magic. God I'm old.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

TheHoodedClaw posted:

I remember him more from Animal Magic. God I'm old.

Motherfucker, now I'm humming the theme tune.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Gorn Myson posted:

The cringe inducing stuff only really works when you're given something to laugh at, and on occasion they just completely forget. Like the episode in which Mark is manipulated by his Australian flatmate, which has the most depressing ending to an episode of the show that I have ever seen.

Yeah but Mark's attempt to explain away Saz's loutish comments is hilarious. "They're Australian, they think it's all fine."

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I just watched this week's Revolution will be televised. I didn't think the first episode was as bad as everyone made it out to be and it got a couple of chuckles from me. The second episode was pretty much terrible with nothing redeeming whatsoever as far as I can remember, and this latest one wasn't much better. However I did think it had have a couple of bits that showed promise. In particular, the quiz show where the EDL leader chose which immigrants could stay was pretty good and they showed how the previously terrible Dale Maily character could possibly be put to good use by bringing out people's prejudices, even if the actual segment itself wasn't that good. The Rebekah Brooks witch hunt was possibly the worst thing yet though. What was the point of that exactly?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Leyburn posted:

Yeah but Mark's attempt to explain away Saz's loutish comments is hilarious. "They're Australian, they think it's all fine."

"OI, MAAAAAKO"

I don't mind the awkwardness in Peep Show. It's there, but it's not built around that like The Office or Extras is. I love those shows too, but they can be a bit much to watch. I once sat through the second series of Extras and the Christmas Special in one sitting and woke up with a pain in my back the next day from cringing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Parade's End is really phenomenal. The direction is very good, but the best bit has to be the writing, the bit in today's episode when Tietjens was describing the different types of artillery was beautiful. I can't recommend this series enough.

e: Seriously I could watch it all day, the plot is almost incidental to my enjoyment of the programme. By far the best TV series since Series 1 of The Wire.

e2: Turns out it's by the same director (Susanna White) of the last BBC Bleak House which was also excellent.

distortion park fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 7, 2012