Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
What do you think is an adequate cost for a Knowledge Familiar? The book says it can be fed with eyeballs but my largely action orientated party gathers a big pile of those if cultists as much as sneeze at them so I decided that the cost of knowledge would be knowledge and that in addition to the holder, a GM picked third party will receive the same information(so they could ask for the password for the arbites database but then the cult they are chasing also receives said password) but it took about half an hour before that was circumvented by asking a specific enough question to be of little to no use to anyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
Not that I'm saying I'm justified in killing the navigator but he was actually pretty loving terrible at navigating. He'd built himself to be a combat monster with a 70 toughness, and a bunch of combat mutations. He was far more interested in torching things with his third-eye death - ray than he was in navigating.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

metachronos posted:

Not that I'm saying I'm justified in killing the navigator but he was actually pretty loving terrible at navigating. He'd built himself to be a combat monster with a 70 toughness, and a bunch of combat mutations. He was far more interested in torching things with his third-eye death - ray than he was in navigating.

do you have one of those robot navigators? if not, he's better than you at navigating, soooo

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
The Tome of Fate (the first BC supplement) and The Soul Reaver (Dark Eldar-themed RT supplement) have both been released.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Dark eldar dark eldar DAAAAARK ELDAAAAAR

Who wants to run a game where I can be a dark eldar out to torment the universe and steal souls and people think im just a really dedicated ecclesiarch

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Perhaps the same could be said of all worship of the warp powers ... make you think.

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.
I'm looking at getting into Dark Heresy very soon and am planning on playing a Psyker, because the Warp Manifestations and Sanctioning Side Effects sound fun and insane. This will be my first pen and paper RPG, let alone my first DH game- anything I should know about playing a Psyker? Is it a horrible choice for a newbie?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Use your powers as often as possible.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Synonymous posted:

I'm looking at getting into Dark Heresy very soon and am planning on playing a Psyker, because the Warp Manifestations and Sanctioning Side Effects sound fun and insane. This will be my first pen and paper RPG, let alone my first DH game- anything I should know about playing a Psyker? Is it a horrible choice for a newbie?

Well the psykers are a load of fun but Dark Heresy at its finest is a game where everything is out to murder you horribly and are pretty drat good at it. Your powers are incredibly powerful but come with the the risk that you can accidently kill your entire party, no questions asked. Use them when required but let the non-magic solution be attempted first and the magic solution used when it fails. Depends on the personality of the character your playing though and the party makeup. Remember, psykers are often burnt at the stake and the average citizen doesnt really know the different between a witch and a sanctioned psyker so try and keep yourself a little hidden if you can.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Bump your BS as high as it will go, take Unnatural Aim, and get a rocket launcher as soon as possible. Explode bitches from forever far away (and maybe accidentally summon a demon).

If you spend a round of combat not psyking you're doing it wrong.

(this advice may or may not be terrible)

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Make sure you spend all your fate points on other stuff so when you randomly summon a daemon prince you just shrug and say you're sorry but you can't reroll it

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Synonymous posted:

Get the thing that lets you modify your perils rolls. That may be Deathwatch specific, since that's the only time I've played a Psyker. Psyke all the time. Perils are hilarious, don't fear them. Push powers often. Fettering is for bitches.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

Synonymous posted:

Dark Heresy is not like a lot of other RPGs. Like if you've played Neverwinter Nights, KotOR, Mass Effect, or others in that line, you'll be used to the idea that you (and to a lesser extent, your party) can somehow deal with whatever gets thrown your way. Shoot it, trap it, trick it, whatever it is, you'll come out on top(ish).

That's not the case with Dark Heresy. You're playing a cross between a steampunk investigation, Paranoia, and a Lovecraft novel. poo poo can kill you just because. You do not have enough cash, you do not have enough ammo, and you do not have enough vitality to deal with everything. Hell, you don't have enough of those to deal with most things. The worst are the Things From Beyond. They take pleasure in finding new ways for you to suffer/die just for their amusement.

And you're taking the one character that, just by rolling bad, can summon the Things From Beyond. Be very careful about when you decide to roll those dice and be very careful that there's no one around that will mistake your use of those dice for your being a Thing From Beyond. As a side note, some of those people will be on your side. In fact, most will.

On the other hand, making poo poo explode with brainpower can be incredibly satisfying.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
It depends on how you play the game. 5 successes on an Inquiry roll with the Arbites to see if my party could get some help from the local enforcers later my party is now loaded up with riot armour, shotguns and 30+ cops following them into an ancient structure that cultists were trying to break into.

Then they spent an hour carefully poking at a docking station for two maintenance bots the size of their head, culminating in the use of a Knowledge Familiar on how to disable it("Melta Bomb").

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Synonymous posted:

Willpower as high as possible, all the bad stuff that can be saved against runs off willpower plus it determines how successful you are at manifesting powers. Take Unnatural Aim, it will make you one of the best marksmen in the party. Healer is also good because there is very little healing in vanilla DH. Other then that take what looks interesting

If you survive to get major psyker powers, the biomancy school will break the game and make you a walking god.

But mostly

Scoobi posted:

Use your powers as often as possible.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

So I'm looking for a little advice in my Deathwatch game. In aftermath of a mission our aspiring chaplain got saddled with a daemon weapon with a bound Slaaneshi herald in it. The game after in a random event he is captured by the Dark Eldar and tortured to crap by a haemonculi and one of his gene seeds harvested and taken away by a rogue trader in league with the xeno to try and make him talk.

So what I'm pondering is, what to do with that gene seed? Do I let them recover it? Maybe have some crazy event happen where a new space marine is made with the gene seed? If I went that route I wanted to have the new "clone" marine claim the daemon weapon and give my player a way out and some motivation.

If you guys have any other thoughts I'd love to hear them.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Why did the dark eldar let him keep his pimpin' daemon weapon? I'd think they'd be all about a Slaaneshi daemon weaopon.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
With Dark Eldar "It seemed like it'd be funny" is a legit motivation.

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

Custom: Heroic
Having A Life: Fair

Clanpot Shake posted:

Why did the dark eldar let him keep his pimpin' daemon weapon? I'd think they'd be all about a Slaaneshi daemon weaopon.

I don't think Dark Eldar are huge fans of the Chaos God that damned them and their entire race. They hate Slaanesh more than they hate anything else, and Dark Eldar are really good at hating things. Dark Eldar have explicitly let their psychic potential atrophy due to preferring not to draw any attention from Slaanesh, after all.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Oh, okay. I honestly know almost nothing about dark/whitemeat eldar.

Anyway, to your point of what to do about the geneseed, maybe have the RT sell it to some xenos/heretics involved in genetics research. Maybe somebody trying to build their own personal clone army to take over the Republic Imperium.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Man, I loving love this universe. My kill-team, while attempting to coerce local human guerillas to join the imperium on a war world fighting chaos and rakshasa (homebrew enemy), we got to do their space drugs and see the past of the planet, a past their psyker thought we needed to see to understand what had transpired.

..And what do we see but the loving old ones evacuating the planet through a webway-ish gate, before getting jumped by a bloodletter. I almost had an epicgasm, tell you what :black101:

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Clanpot Shake posted:

The haem was leaving his gear close for a depressing feeling of "If I could move its all right there..." I might just rip a page from Graham McNeil and have them somehow make a clone.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Speaking of the Dark Eldar, has anyone got 'The Soul Reaver' yet?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Are there any bears in the 40k universe?

My adept has the Thy Name I Keep background package and another player jokingly asked "what if that demon WAS SECRETLY A BEAR?", which we added into our canon because why not and a later misheard phrase resulted in said demon being summoned by typing BEARS.EXE into a handheld scribe kit but now I'm wondering if there any official bears in a book somewhere so said demon could make a cameo somewhere.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

There were the Clawed Fiends but the model looks substantially less "beary" than the 3e illustration.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I recall there being generic beast stats in the DH core book.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Given the breadth of the Imperium, there are almost certainly bears out there. I mean there are definitely wolves, eagles, ravens, and horses, so I don't see why there wouldn't be bears. In terms of game stats, you would basically have to make it up. The Core Book has some generic profiles for 'Flying Creature' and so on, but the 'Ferocious Creature' is supposed to be for things like big cats and wolves. It wouldn't be hard to look at that as a baseline (along with Grox, which are closer to bear-sized?) and make something up.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Remember, this is 40,000 years in the future and they they just don't make bears like they used to.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
During an early mission in our Dark Heresy game we ended up accidentally releasing some Xenos from a criminal poacher type organisation. It wasn't a big deal but some of the players kept talking about how powerful and terrifying this one space-bear could be. The GM rolled with it and this thing ended up chasing the entire party out of the complex we were in (destroying it in the process), only stopping when we got to our escape vehicle.

"As it watches you escape" the GM said "You can see in it's burning red eyes that it knows how to hate."

It is now a recurring villain.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Clanpot Shake posted:

Remember, this is 40,000 years in the future and they they just don't make bears like they used to.

I didn't click this link. Instead, I whispered "Goin to the bear pits tomorrow. Wanna come with?" and then checked if I had thief installed (yes, I always have thief installed.)

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Blisster posted:

During an early mission in our Dark Heresy game we ended up accidentally releasing some Xenos from a criminal poacher type organisation. It wasn't a big deal but some of the players kept talking about how powerful and terrifying this one space-bear could be. The GM rolled with it and this thing ended up chasing the entire party out of the complex we were in (destroying it in the process), only stopping when we got to our escape vehicle.

"As it watches you escape" the GM said "You can see in it's burning red eyes that it knows how to hate."

It is now a recurring villain.

I hope that it dies to a lictor and then all the tyranids from that hive fleet start getting more and more ursine

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Two bonus PDFs have been released on the FFG website:

The Lost Dataslate, an extension of The Lathe Worlds, which adds new gear, alternate origins and more.

The Dark Kin, an extension of The Soul Reaver, which adds the Wych career and some alternate careers.

MaliciousOnion fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Sep 8, 2012

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!

Liesmith posted:

I hope that it dies to a lictor and then all the tyranids from that hive fleet start getting more and more ursine

Hive Fleet Shardik?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Don't know much about The Soul Reaver, but I heard that DE have something called Pain Tokens to reflect how they get power from pain and stuff- if I removed that rule and any associated drawbacks/benefits, could I make a regular Eldar? 'Cos I want to try out this alternative history.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Just use the rules for Corsairs, they're pretty much the middle ground between the uptight ones and the spiky ones.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Just use the rules for Corsairs, they're pretty much the middle ground between the uptight ones and the spiky ones.

Are those rules in Soul Reaver itself? Because I don't have it :shobon: I'd like to make them available to PCs as well. Also, how would such a history change things up in the 40K 'verse?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

And here we see the second best Chaos God making an appearance :neckbeard:

EDIT: The Soul Reaver is also available for download.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Sep 12, 2012

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

And here we see the second best Chaos God making an appearance :neckbeard:

Oh (Chaos) gods dammit, Slaanesh is gonna be last again, isn't it? Why does Not-Bacchus always get the short end of the stick.

Why? :smith:

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Locomotive breath posted:

Oh (Chaos) gods dammit, Slaanesh is gonna be last again, isn't it? Why does Not-Bacchus always get the short end of the stick.

Why? :smith:

Because no one wants to think about wahams and sex. Not even other warhams. Hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Liesmith posted:

Because no one wants to think about wahams and sex. Not even other warhams. Hth
I liked his re-imagining as being mainly about politics and controlling the wills of mortals and less about tentacle sex.