Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

nm posted:

This happened, but it was in no way as cut and dry as you suggest. Rather the thief swung a bag with several radios weighing 4-6 lbs at the man's head. There was testimony where "medical examiner conceded that a 4-6 pound bag of metal being swung at one’s head would lead to serious bodily injury or death."
http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/03/27/2717572/miami-dade-issues-ruling-in-stand.html

This shouldn't be compared. A weight swung in this manner is a deadly weapon. Trayvon had candy.

I think that the objectionable thing here is less that the guy defended himself agaist someone trying to hit him with a heavy sack and more that the guy actually started chasing down the thief, and thus he was part of escalating the situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

miscellaneous14 posted:

I wasn't sure if there's a thread more pertaining to crime and societal treatment of criminals in the first place (please let me know if there is one and I'll move this there), but I have a problem: an extremely right-wing old friend was going off about a news story concerning someone getting arrested for shooting a robber, and I commented on how lacking in morality you'd have to be to murder or attempt to murder someone just for taking physical objects from you.

Cue a tirade of typical "we must be hard on crime" rhetoric, including them (seriously, not kidding) saying that we would have a decreased crime rate if there was no punishment for shooting and killing a trespasser, and of course accusing me of abetting criminal behavior. I have literally asked this person "do you believe that people should have the right to murder someone to protect physical objects?" and they have basically said yes.

Is there anything more to say at this point, or is pointing out how completely morally-bankrupt that kind of perspective is the best I can do?

This is certainly not the thread for this, but I'll just say that self-defense, or defense of property is not meant to be a punitive measure, but a preventative one. Not necessarily as a deterrent, but as literally preventing loss of property/life on the victims part.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Down Right Fierce posted:

Yeah, once you cross the things > human life line, it's tough to convince them to come back.

I had a friend get mugged a few months ago and facebook filled with "if had gun this not happen" and I got shouted down when I pointed out that a gun doesn't stop getting surprise clocked in the head and 34 dollars taken from you; it probably would've gotten stolen/him deaded right there. "That 34 dollars and the ice pack on your head really isnt worth killing someone or getting killed over" is a tough sell.

It's a tough sell because it's not purely about the 34 dollars or even the injury; it's about the loss of control (or, if you want to get pedantic, the loss of illusion of control) that your friend experienced. Nobody wants to be told that they may be forced to accept that someone else has illegitimate* control over what happens to them and their belongings, that they are at the mercy of someone who is at that moment taking from them or harming them against their will, especially when they perceive (however erroneously) that there might have been a means for them to stop it.

*(Where people differ on this is on whom they consider to have legitimate authority, and some people would argue that nobody really does, but that is beyond the scope of this discussion.)

While some people might be purely "my dollars are worth more than a human being", I think a lot of people aren't really motivated as such.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
People are traumatized after a robbery and say and do some really stupid poo poo. That's why they should get professional help after being a victim of such crimes.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Orange Devil posted:

People are traumatized after a robbery and say and do some really stupid poo poo. That's why they should get professional help after being a victim of such crimes.

That's $300/hr, it would be like getting robbed twice.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

baquerd posted:

That's $300/hr, it would be like getting robbed twice.

Free here in the Netherlands, because we don't want people remaining traumatized after becoming victims of a crime.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Cerebral Bore posted:

I think that the objectionable thing here is less that the guy defended himself agaist someone trying to hit him with a heavy sack and more that the guy actually started chasing down the thief, and thus he was part of escalating the situation.
That's my problem. There's video of the guy chasing down the thief and stabbing him. It's clear that like with the Martin situation, one person escalated this far beyond where it should have gone, and that's why I don't care if the guy had a bag of radios or whatever. He escalated the situation to the point where the thief rightly had to defend himself, which didn't work, and he died.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
And yet:

quote:

All the thief had on him was a bag with a radio in it

Cerebral Bore posted:

Yes, but everyone emphasizes the bag, not the duty to flee issue. The amount of misinformation about self-defense law that came up during Trayvon Martin was pretty shocking. Particularly as most readings of even the existing law put this clearly in the manslaughter, if not the murder camp regardless of stand your ground.
Maybe it is just being a defense attorney, but it worries me when people talk about lowering the burden on the state to put you in prison. (SYG did not do that, it changed the elements, which is different -- a lot of people wanted to make self-defense an affirmative defense again).
I think we're going a bit off topic though.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo posted:

I don't know where else to complain about this. I've watched cops since the 80s, and in the 80s/90s, the cops were all really nice (generally) and wanted to help people. In every single episode that I've watched in the past 5 years or so, they seem to be arresting innocent people, and abusing them for absolutely no reason. E.g. guy gets pulled over (is obviously of color), cops throw him out of the car, "find" drugs, he "is" a felon, he goes to jail without trial, cops say "he has no civil rights because he's a felon."

I've watched Law and Order SVU the past decade or so and I noticed that Detective Benson was nicer when her hair was longer... Now that she has shorter hair she's meaner.

Sorry, but come on.

Watching Cops on TV and then using it as selective evidence of police conduct is idiotic at best.

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010
TV shows about police conduct are not themselves evidence of systemic police misconduct.

They are, however, very clear evidence of the kind of police conduct people are willing to accept.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011
"Girls Gone Wild" demonstrates that all society wants girls to act trampy and show off their boobs.

If you have a problem with Cops it should be how it portrays their jobs. Half the show should be stolen bike reports and loud noise complaints, not a car chase and tasering the bad guy. It gives the public the idea that everyone the cops deal with is bad. They generally show the less than 1% of citizen contacts (that result in said tasering and arrest) that make for interesting tv.

Dingleberry fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 7, 2012

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

Dingleberry posted:

"Girls Gone Wild" demonstrates that all society wants girls to act trampy and show off their boobs.

Yes? Like, it's obvious by the way you phrased this that it's intended to be sarcastic, but what you're saying is true. In a society where nobody wanted random (attractive) girls to show off their boobs, "Girls Gone Wild" would not be a popular video series.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Dingleberry posted:

I've watched Law and Order SVU the past decade or so and I noticed that Detective Benson was nicer when her hair was longer... Now that she has shorter hair she's meaner.

Sorry, but come on.

Watching Cops on TV and then using it as selective evidence of police conduct is idiotic at best.
Cops is a much better representation of law enforcement than any of the L&O series and the like. You pretty much see most interactions except the most egregious.
I've definitely seen some pretty clear civil rights violations on Cops and they clearly know they're being videotaped.
Actually, Cops is great for showing how the police get you to waive their rights. Every time I see a consent search or someone waiving Miranda and confessing I start screaming at the TV.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
There's an ask/tell thread from a prison guard in Texas. Someone's already been probated for threadshitting, so don't go there looking to pick a fight.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3504908

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

nm posted:

Cops is a much better representation of law enforcement than any of the L&O series and the like. You pretty much see most interactions except the most egregious.
I've definitely seen some pretty clear civil rights violations on Cops and they clearly know they're being videotaped.
Actually, Cops is great for showing how the police get you to waive their rights. Every time I see a consent search or someone waiving Miranda and confessing I start screaming at the TV.

For me, to watch "Cops" from a European perspective it's pretty shocking. I tell myself (rightly or wrongly) that "And this is the "good" bits that gets aired." I mean there are bad cops (and good) everywhere, but holy poo poo US police seem overly aggressive.

This thread is extremely depressing. The OP just makes me so horrified. I mean it's not like I didn't know about it, but reading more stories / statistics keeps piling on the horror.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

MrOnBicycle posted:

For me, to watch "Cops" from a European perspective it's pretty shocking. I tell myself (rightly or wrongly) that "And this is the "good" bits that gets aired." I mean there are bad cops (and good) everywhere, but holy poo poo US police seem overly aggressive.

This thread is extremely depressing. The OP just makes me so horrified. I mean it's not like I didn't know about it, but reading more stories / statistics keeps piling on the horror.

The US police are better-equipped than the armies of many countries. Just looking at police equipment gives one a pretty terrifying impression of the mentality with which our law enforcers approach their jobs.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

The US police are better-equipped than the armies of many countries. Just looking at police equipment gives one a pretty terrifying impression of the mentality with which our law enforcers approach their jobs.

The NYPD is a handful of obsolete Soviet tanks from being sufficient to knock over a small nation.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

UberJew posted:

The NYPD is a handful of obsolete Soviet tanks from being sufficient to knock over a small nation.

Don't they have APCs?

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
e: Misread previous post, sorry.

treasured8elief fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Sep 19, 2012

T.Worth
Aug 31, 2012

by XyloJW

Baracula posted:

Don't they have APCs?

The stuff they use is likely BRDM equivalent in armour and mobility. Even if you ignore the fact they don't have a 14.5mm gun stuck on top, they are a far cry from a T62 or a T72.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I'm pretty sure the US military will start handing out M60 Pattons if the need ever arose, they're still in storage IIRC.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

It's a tough sell because it's not purely about the 34 dollars or even the injury; it's about the loss of control (or, if you want to get pedantic, the loss of illusion of control) that your friend experienced. Nobody wants to be told that they may be forced to accept that someone else has illegitimate* control over what happens to them and their belongings, that they are at the mercy of someone who is at that moment taking from them or harming them against their will, especially when they perceive (however erroneously) that there might have been a means for them to stop it.

*(Where people differ on this is on whom they consider to have legitimate authority, and some people would argue that nobody really does, but that is beyond the scope of this discussion.)

While some people might be purely "my dollars are worth more than a human being", I think a lot of people aren't really motivated as such.

Absolutely spot on. Anything that threatens to shift the locus of control from you to someone or something else represents an existential threat to an awful lot of people.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
One can only hope!

Votes to legalize #marijuana in two states caused Corrections Corporation of America (NYSE: #CXW) stock to drop 3.7%:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
No it didn't:

This is what happens after elections.

Angiepants
May 8, 2008
Ugh I hope this doesn't come off as me being a prick who hasn't read the thread. I'm writing a research paper on the growth of the prison-industrial complex and the effects it's had on both society at large and on the inmates themselves. I've touched on the increasing severity of sentences, the fiscal consequences, the reduction in educational opportunities for inmates, disenfranchisement, violence/rape on the inside, and of course the racial disparities. I'd like to expand on any or all of these and/or add anything I've forgotten. Anyone want to point me toward some articles or papers?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

You should really read the thread if you are interested in those things.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Angiepants posted:

Ugh I hope this doesn't come off as me being a prick who hasn't read the thread. I'm writing a research paper on the growth of the prison-industrial complex and the effects it's had on both society at large and on the inmates themselves. I've touched on the increasing severity of sentences, the fiscal consequences, the reduction in educational opportunities for inmates, disenfranchisement, violence/rape on the inside, and of course the racial disparities. I'd like to expand on any or all of these and/or add anything I've forgotten. Anyone want to point me toward some articles or papers?

Look through the first page for lots of links to primary sources and blogs about the PIC.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Don't forget to look at the LF thread, and to google "hidingfromgoro," as he's written a lot of stuff elsewhere, and I'm not sure all of it is linked here.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Audible (the audiobook subsidiary of Amazon) has The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness for $4.95, until the end of tomorrow night.

I recommend it to anyone and everyone, who's followed this thread.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

quote:

Corrections Corporation of America Used in Drug Sweeps of Public School Students

"To invite for-profit prison guards to conduct law enforcement actions in a high school is perhaps the most direct expression of the 'schools-to-prison pipeline' I've ever seen," said Caroline Isaacs, program director of the Tucson office of the American Friends Service Committee (AFSC), a Quaker social justice organization that advocates for criminal justice reform.

"All the research shows that CCA doesn't properly train its staff to do the jobs they actually have. They most certainly do not have anywhere near the training and experience--to say nothing of the legal authority--to conduct a drug raid on a high school," Isaacs added. "It is chilling to think that any school official would be willing to put vulnerable students at risk this way." http://www.prwatch.org/news/2012/11/11876/corrections-corporation-america-used-drug-sweeps-public-school-students

Probably won't be the last time these kids get screwed over by the CCA.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
God what the gently caress is wrong with the Tucson school district?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
Holy Christ, that's horrible.

quote:

According to Anderson, three students were arrested as a result of the October 31 Vista Grande raid: two female students, ages 15 and 17, as well as one 15-year-old male. According to Anderson, the 15-year-old female was found in possession of .10 grams of marijuana; the 15-year-old male student was found in possession of .50 grams of marijuana; and the 17-year-old female was found in possession of 10 ounces of marijuana. According to Anderson, this last quantity was "individually packaged." 

According to Anderson, the students were referred to the juvenile division of Pinal County Superior Court. All students were then released to their parents/legal guardians. 

According to Hamilton, the school will commence expulsion hearings against all students arrested.

It drives me crazy that the law seems to assume that .1 gram of weed will ruin a child's mind/life, but expelling them from school will not.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Murmur Twin posted:

Holy Christ, that's horrible.

It drives me crazy that the law seems to assume that .1 gram of weed will ruin a child's mind/life, but expelling them from school will not.

Wow! 10 oz of "individually packaged" pot? That girl's a serious player. Why on Earth would she have that much at school?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

anonumos posted:

Wow! 10 oz of "individually packaged" pot? That girl's a serious player. Why on Earth would she have that much at school?

I think they mean it was split up into smaller bags, as in she's going to get charged with dealing.

To me the big what the gently caress of 0.10 grams... that's like a pencil eraser sized amount, how did they let themselves get caught.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

baquerd posted:

I think they mean it was split up into smaller bags, as in she's going to get charged with dealing.

To me the big what the gently caress of 0.10 grams... that's like a pencil eraser sized amount, how did they let themselves get caught.

I understand the individually packaged bit. But 10oz is a lot.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

anonumos posted:

I understand the individually packaged bit. But 10oz is a lot.
Would that much pot even fit in a normal school backpack?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Yes it would. That's a few thousand dollars worth of pot, jeez. I would've killed to know a girl like that when I was 17.

Mister Macys posted:

Audible (the audiobook subsidiary of Amazon) has The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness for $4.95, until the end of tomorrow night.

I recommend it to anyone and everyone, who's followed this thread.

This was a great read and I really recommend it to anyone who's interested in this stuff. On the flip side it will make it difficult to look at anything anywhere ever and not see racism.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Im That One Guy posted:

Would that much pot even fit in a normal school backpack?

It's a lot, especially for a schoolkid, but it's not a LOT. It seems pretty clear that she sold the stuff, but we're talking about a quantity that would easily fit in a gallon size ziplock.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Some eedjit posted a pro-Arpaio thing on Facebook. I've debated with her before and I suspect she just doesn't know the real story. For the lazy, is there an Arpaio-bomb or equivalent anywhere that I can send to her to let her know that the dude's a colossal shitheel and no, we shouldn't model all jails everywhere after his operation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paratan
Jan 1, 2008

it's sumo, folks
Augh yeah Joe Arpaio Appreciation Station
http://www.treesandthings.com/story/2008/5/30/14387/1569

• Locked thread