Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
There's plenty of videos dealing with a certain thing but I guess you gotta look for them. Ryan Hall has one about the triangle and Stephen Kesting has loads on leglocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

So I'm enjoying the new Dave Camarillo book. It's written in this really dorky army-jargon way that's kind of annoying, but the content is great. On the surface it's an explanation of Camarillo's armlock game, which is pretty incredible, and uses lots of weird and interesting positions, and I'm definitely taking a few tricks from it. But what I love about is that there's quite a lot of theory about how he teaches his students to build their game, and it's different to what you hear in most places. He basically encourages you to choose one submission, get amazing at it from as many places as you can, and chase it from position to position. He also encourages you to focus your practice on positions in between the major ones that are part way into whatever submission you're following, adapt your sweeps and escapes to take you into those half-way positions. It's interesting stuff.

Is that Submit Everyone? If so I just got it also, but haven't really checked it out.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Kekekela posted:

Is that Submit Everyone? If so I just got it also, but haven't really checked it out.

That's the one.

McNerd posted:

Does Camarillo have advice for how lower-level practicioners should approach this? My understanding of the conventional wisdom is that you should familiarize yourself with a lot of different stuff enough to figure out what works for you, and then start to specialize as you guys have described.

The book is aimed at people who have been rolling for at least 6-12 months, I think, though it doesn't say this specifically. I'm finding it particularly informative as a person on the lower end of blue belt but I think if you're still in that early phase where you don't understand how all the pieces fit together, "Jiu-Jitsu University" by Saulo Ribiero would be a better choice.

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
So Belcher is talking a lot about kimura back takes (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQo03y2prxY) as the best counter to wrestling shots and halfguard players in no gi. I think he might be right, we have a guy at the gym who basically just holds on tight to a kimura grip while you move around and eventually give him a submission and it's surprisingly effective even when you know that's his plan. It's also a big reason my turtle game works- the 'armpit trap turnover into a kimura back take' trick is great, looks cool and really disorients opponents.

E: Here's the guy Belcher's promoting: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xdhyib_no-gi-kimura-trap-intro-at-baltimor_sport

CivilDisobedience fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 16, 2012

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

CivilDisobedience posted:

So Belcher is talking a lot about kimura back takes (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQo03y2prxY) as the best counter to wrestling shots and halfguard players in no gi. I think he might be right, we have a guy at the gym who basically just holds on tight to a kimura grip while you move around and eventually give him a submission and it's surprisingly effective even when you know that's his plan. It's also a big reason my turtle game works- the 'armpit trap turnover into a kimura back take' trick is great, looks cool and really disorients opponents.

E: Here's the guy Belcher's promoting: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xdhyib_no-gi-kimura-trap-intro-at-baltimor_sport

Thanks for this! I'm on Belcher's email list and he just sent out some big notice telling everyone to sign up for this guy and his super kimura ninja mode system, but watching the preview video, half of it was just like basic kimuras from guard or side control and the other half was crazy throw clips I couldn't follow, so I wasn't too sure what to think.

Any reason this couldn't work in gi too? Other than you don't have as many wrestling shots to counter I suppose? (Well my instructor has a wrestling pedigree so I can expect plenty of those regardless, but whatever.)

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

That's the one.

The book is aimed at people who have been rolling for at least 6-12 months, I think, though it doesn't say this specifically. I'm finding it particularly informative as a person on the lower end of blue belt but I think if you're still in that early phase where you don't understand how all the pieces fit together, "Jiu-Jitsu University" by Saulo Ribiero would be a better choice.

We used to do 5 five minute rounds of rolling to finish off class where I was training I liked to try to stick to the basics for the first three rounds and try new poo poo from videos or books or what I've been thinking of for the final two.

Jiu jitsu University is an great book but it's a little on the boring side if you're looking for anything creative or off the path so to speak.

district of thizz
May 9, 2006

How do, jerry bus.

BlindSite posted:

We used to do 5 five minute rounds of rolling to finish off class where I was training I liked to try to stick to the basics for the first three rounds and try new poo poo from videos or books or what I've been thinking of for the final two.

Jiu jitsu University is an great book but it's a little on the boring side if you're looking for anything creative or off the path so to speak.

I have not gotten very far into Jiu Jitsu University, I've briefly read up to the purple belt section. However, I started taking BJJ classes in April and a lot of the survival positions have been really helpful for me as a beginner. I would recommend it as a nice supplement in addition to taking a beginning level class.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

district of thizz posted:

I have not gotten very far into Jiu Jitsu University, I've briefly read up to the purple belt section. However, I started taking BJJ classes in April and a lot of the survival positions have been really helpful for me as a beginner. I would recommend it as a nice supplement in addition to taking a beginning level class.

JJU is a must-buy for anyone starting out, imo. The survival positions alone make that book worth its weight in gold.

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010

McNerd posted:

Thanks for this! I'm on Belcher's email list and he just sent out some big notice telling everyone to sign up for this guy and his super kimura ninja mode system, but watching the preview video, half of it was just like basic kimuras from guard or side control and the other half was crazy throw clips I couldn't follow, so I wasn't too sure what to think.

Any reason this couldn't work in gi too? Other than you don't have as many wrestling shots to counter I suppose? (Well my instructor has a wrestling pedigree so I can expect plenty of those regardless, but whatever.)

Thats cool. Last year I was really geting into Kimuras from there, and bottomhalf, but I didn't know there were so many options. I'm definitely going to start looking at it again.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

JJU is a must-buy for anyone starting out, imo. The survival positions alone make that book worth its weight in gold.

It doesn't exist as an eBook, unfortunately. Books published before and since by the same publisher are, but not Ribeiro's. I broke down and ordered the thing but I have to wait for an unknown amount of time for it to arrive. Something tells me it'll be worth the wait, though.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Smegmatron posted:

It doesn't exist as an eBook, unfortunately. Books published before and since by the same publisher are, but not Ribeiro's. I broke down and ordered the thing but I have to wait for an unknown amount of time for it to arrive. Something tells me it'll be worth the wait, though.

On the advice of people in this and the Ask/Tell thread I bought Jiu Jitsu University and Andre Galvao's Drill to Win. I really like both of them. I steal the drills from Galvao's book for my warm ups and conditioning drills and use JJU whenever I want to make sure I'm picking the best way to teach Ne Waza techniques.

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008

McNerd posted:

Here's the top halfguard version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiwK6Gc-53U This stuff should all work in gi grappling as well, but you'll probably want to adapt it to take advantage of the gi grips.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

Thoguh posted:

On the advice of people in this and the Ask/Tell thread I bought Jiu Jitsu University and Andre Galvao's Drill to Win. I really like both of them. I steal the drills from Galvao's book for my warm ups and conditioning drills and use JJU whenever I want to make sure I'm picking the best way to teach Ne Waza techniques.

My copy of JJU arrived today. Worth every cent.

The entire white belt section was a revelation to me. Every single "don't do this" picture could be substituted with photos of me rolling. I'm one chapter in and it's already been a huge eye opener.

Some of the advice is super simple stuff, but it makes a huge difference. "Don't lay flat on your back while you're mounted" just made me go :aaaaa: and I'm still trying to work out why I hadn't thought of this before.

Smegmatron fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Aug 20, 2012

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Smegmatron posted:

"Don't lay flat on your back while you're mounted" just made me go :aaaaa: and I'm still trying to work out why I hadn't thought of this before.

I'm surprised your instructor hasn't told you this when introducing you to the mounted position in the first place!

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

Not as surprised as I am!

Edit: In hindsight, I think I initially thought the same thing that I thought when I saw the diagrams in JJU, which is "if I turn on one side I'm giving up a free armbar." Once you how that position sets up the armbar escape in the later it all makes sense, though.

Smegmatron fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Aug 20, 2012

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Bohemian Nights posted:

I'm surprised your instructor hasn't told you this when introducing you to the mounted position in the first place!

a lot of times stuff like that is missed or not emphasized enough to make it stick in people's heads. Thats why books are great.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Yeah, I suppose that's true!

I've never owned JJU myself, although I'm sure it would have been very useful when I was starting out. Instead, my first jits book was JIU JITSU UNLEASHED, by Sir Eddie Bravo, quickly followed by the incredibly beginner friendly "Mastering the rubber guard".

Don't be like me!

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Bohemian Nights posted:

Don't be like me!

Or do! Smashing a white belt rubber guard will never cease to be hilarious to me. Too bad my new instructor actually likes the rubber guard and particularly Eddies Half guard game. I've spent years specifically avoiding the lockdown.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Crossposting from the a/t martial arts thread. Competition today, went three matches and (kind of) got three submissions, not really very happy with any of them. :words: and videos in the link.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3409544&pagenumber=197#post406750743

delljit
Feb 20, 2004

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Bohemian Nights posted:

Crossposting from the a/t martial arts thread. Competition today, went three matches and (kind of) got three submissions, not really very happy with any of them. :words: and videos in the link.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3409544&pagenumber=197#post406750743
Nice man, I competed on the weekend too, my first comp at blue belt level.

In my first fight, I totally dictated and won by triangle in about 2 minutes.

Second fight I started off great but when I transitioned to the triangle again he was able to back his head out before I could secure. I got stacked while i still had the arm but there was no where to go. I turtled and he ended up taking my back, then mounting and finishing with an arm bar.

Third fight I lost my half guard half way through and was passed to side control and mount. After some escape attempts it ended in north south where he just defended my escapes. Lost on points.

All in all I'm actually happy with the day.
I haven't fought blues at comp before, especially taking my weight into account - I was 79 when I usually fight at 70-73, so the submission felt good. I'm already aware of my weak points (getting caught on the bottom) so I will be working those areas harder now.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

awkward_turtle posted:

Or do! Smashing a white belt rubber guard will never cease to be hilarious to me. Too bad my new instructor actually likes the rubber guard and particularly Eddies Half guard game. I've spent years specifically avoiding the lockdown.
One of the most hilarious things I've seen in class is a blue belt trying to use rubber guard on a black belt and the black belt gogoplating the blue belt with the blue belt's own foot as a result.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

awkward_turtle posted:

eddie's half guard game is pretty good and not all that wild. It is also pretty much the Machado half guard game with some small variations.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

Yuns posted:

One of the most hilarious things I've seen in class is a blue belt trying to use rubber guard on a black belt and the black belt gogoplating the blue belt with the blue belt's own foot as a result.

I'm shocked this hasn't happened to me.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZAmdLq0xFE

I hope this doesn't fall through.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

colonel_korn posted:

I hope this doesn't fall through.

This owns. Also Ryron Gracie looks significantly older than Rickson. Poor man. :(

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
The lighting they used for Ryron's talking heads is really lovely, I wouldn't read too much into that. In the Gracie Breakdown videos he looks fine.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Apparently this is the full card:

quote:

Ryron Gracie vs Andre Galvao
Roger Gracie vs Marcus Almeida "Buchecha"
Kron Gracie vs. Octavio Sousa
Kayron Gracie vs. Rafael Lavato Jr.
Jeff Glover vs. Caio Terra
Dean Lister vs. Kevin Kasey
Jean Jacques Machado vs. Nelson Monteiro

20 minute gi matches, no points, submissions only :getin:

Does Ryron Gracie actually compete much? I don't doubt that he's really really good, but given that Galvao consistently competes and wins at the highest levels, it seems like a bit of a mismatch.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

colonel_korn posted:

Does Ryron Gracie actually compete much? I don't doubt that he's really really good, but given that Galvao consistently competes and wins at the highest levels, it seems like a bit of a mismatch.

Reading between the lines of what he said during the trailer, I think Ryron's gameplan is to sandbag the gently caress out of Andre and claim a moral victory when it ends in draw by time limit. That at least sounds like a more realistic plan of attack than "internet celebrity goes on the offensive against ADCC champion".

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Thats not what sandbag means

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Dangersim posted:

Thats not what sandbag means

Feel free to substitute any term that signifies "lay there motionless as a catholic girl on prom night" in your mind. It's easy and fun!

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

colonel_korn posted:

Apparently this is the full card:

20 minute gi matches, no points, submissions only :getin:

When what where is this?

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
Definitely watching this.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Don't worry everyone will get hurt or mad or denied visas and it will fall apart.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

the least weasel posted:

When what where is this?

October 14 in San Diego, streaming online too. Details in the YT video I posted.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
bleeegh I fly to China on the 14th, no magic pants submission fights for me :sigh:

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
Im trying to reintegrate lifting back into my training. Right now at my gym I train gi-BJJ on Monday, Tuesday is an hour of no-gi grappling and then an hour of muay thai, wednesday's I work, Thurs is no-gi and then muay thai again, friday's is off, and open mat is on saturdays which coming up soon I won't be able to go to again.

Before I started BJJ again I loved Westside For Skinny Bastards and I think I want to do that program again. I'm pretty out of shape conditionning wise (I'm usually dead-tired halfway through Muay Thai which sucks because my pad work gets super sloppy). I might switch to Tues only doing kickboxing, and Thurs only doing grappling.

Anyways, Im thinking of doing a Wed/Fri/Sun split. Is this a reasonable split for weightlifting with grappling? I don't want to some wonky fad strength workout of 50 burpees to 20 pushups and would rather get into a strength focused lifting program like WFSB. Anyone else here do YLLS Approved lifting with BJJ/MMA?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I can't help you, but I want to say I am in somewhat the same boat. I did BJJ for a month and loved it, but didn't want to give up my normal weight lifting routine because I really want to get bigger. I can't really justify paying for BJJ + the gym, the monthly fees would be pretty drat high. If only BJJ had a bunch of weights, or my gym had BJJ haha.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

How come none of my training partners ever suffer a debilitating calf cramp when I'm the one stuck in a submission hold?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

How come none of my training partners ever suffer a debilitating calf cramp when I'm the one stuck in a submission hold?

Obviously you aren't drinking enough coconut water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Went to the massage therapist on Saturday. She said I have some crazy tight rhomboids. Which makes sense because I feel that pinching tightness between my shoulders 24/7... for the last five years or so.

I've done some different things but can't find the magic combo to heal. I think it might be some posture and stress things as well.

Anyone have any tips or experience with chronic tightness or spasms in there central back?