Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

GrAviTy84 posted:

Went to the resto to get a sammich with the wifey. Got it and the stoup, but i almost got the salad with the evoo vinaigrette. I bet that would've been delish.
Totes delish.

I think that if wifey ever heard or saw me refer to her as such she'd cut my nuts off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

therattle posted:

Please can we ban using the term "sammich". It's a goddamned sandwich. It's only one more letter to type.

Having done some research before impetuously posting, I retract the above, as I now know that sandwich and sammich are not simply interchangeable.

I see that my (sub)urban patois excites and frightens you, old man.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Went to the resto to get a sammich with the wifey. Got it and the stoup, but i almost got the salad with the evoo vinaigrette. I bet that would've been delish.

stoup?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
I hope you all die.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
On a different note, I'm trying to understand the physics involved in that my stock pot can be barely simmering, but the handles are hot enough to give 4th degree burns. Every. loving. Time.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

On a different note, I'm trying to understand the physics involved in that my stock pot can be barely simmering, but the handles are hot enough to give 4th degree burns. Every. loving. Time.

Heat density, transfer of engergy, etc. You know this.

I got my haircut again yesterday afternoon. It's not a special occasion - I go every month. But it made me think I'm glad there is still such a thing as a barbershop with old country music on the am radio, playboys and cattle raising magazines in the rack, and a guy who not only does a good shave with a straight razor (not as a hipster thing but because he's been barbering that way for 50 years) but where you only get the kind of haircut that the barber is going to give you, and if you ask for anything different the barber tells you no because if he complies with your request he knows that your woman will call him up and give him hell about it.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS

GrAviTy84 posted:

Went to the resto to get a sammich with the wifey. Got it and the stoup, but i almost got the salad with the evoo vinaigrette. I bet that would've been yummo.

Fixed.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Is "sammich" just a stupid slang term for a well-constructed sandwich?

If so, that's retarded.

Edit: Even more so than "EVOO".

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
Even worse is "sammie"

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
It actually comes from the German Hamburgensammichessen though, which predates the word "sandwich".

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Charmmi posted:

Even worse is "sammie"

You are joking. Who the gently caress says "sammie" to mean a sandwich? I don't believe you.

Edit:

Very Strange Things posted:

It actually comes from the German Hamburgensammichessen though, which predates the word "sandwich".

Is that named after the famous Count von Hamburgensammichessen? That apocryphal story about the nobleman who was hungry while gambling: He was too stupid to pronounce words properly, so his servants just ladled nourishing gruel into his drooling maw.

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Sep 7, 2012

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Scientastic posted:

You are joking. Who the gently caress says "sammie" to mean a sandwich? I don't believe you.

Edit:

Is that named after the famous Count von Hamburgensammichessen? That apocryphal story about the nobleman who was hungry while gambling: He was too stupid to pronounce words properly, so his servants just ladled nourishing gruel into his drooling maw.

gently caress you very much, Quiznos.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

gently caress you very much, Quiznos.

Good grief. I'm glad we don't have Quiznos over here.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

It's like a gimmickier Subway.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Good grief indeed. What are your views "sarnies"?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

buttie

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Scientastic posted:

Same kind of people who say "kitteh" to mean "kitten"

fake edit: unleash the wrath of the internets for drawing this comparison :flame:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I dunno, I see more memespergs say sammich, I usually see sammie used by worn out soccer moms.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

A butty is a very specific type of sandwich and is not even in the same league as "sammich".

As for "sarnie", I think it sounds stupid, but for some reason it doesn't strike me as quite so stupid sounding as "sammie".

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Piece < sammie.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I got my haircut again yesterday afternoon. It's not a special occasion - I go every month. But it made me think I'm glad there is still such a thing as a barbershop with old country music on the am radio, playboys and cattle raising magazines in the rack, and a guy who not only does a good shave with a straight razor (not as a hipster thing but because he's been barbering that way for 50 years) but where you only get the kind of haircut that the barber is going to give you, and if you ask for anything different the barber tells you no because if he complies with your request he knows that your woman will call him up and give him hell about it.

Wiggles' hair salon:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXD8yOxIPB0

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Heh.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Scientastic posted:

A butty is a very specific type of sandwich and is not even in the same league as "sammich".

I'm not sure I can respect a culture that eats something called a "butty".

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I'm not sure I can respect a culture that eats something called a "butty".

They actually have a chip butty. Butter two slices of bread and put french fries in between. For serious.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

They actually have a chip butty. Butter two slices of bread and put french fries in between. For serious.

Chips, not French fries. Not just a quibble about English vs. American, but because they are different things.

And chip butties are really delicious.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sorry. Steak fries.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Not all fries in America are shoestrings :colbert:

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Have you ever had a chip butty? They are fantastic.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I had the the equivalent in Syria – a "sandwish batata" – and no they are not.

edit: Why would you need to wrap a starch in more starch?

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
I don't know if Rachael Ray was the originator of "sammie" but I'm sure she is at least the one to popularize it.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Sammich is a 4chan meme. You know, "Go back to the kitchen and make me a sammich"

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Kenning posted:

I had the the equivalent in Syria – a "sandwish batata" – and no they are not.

edit: Why would you need to wrap a starch in more starch?

Reading this post, I could almost believe that you've never had a hangover.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Psalmanazar posted:

Sammich is a 4chan meme. You know, "Go back to the kitchen and make me a sammich"

No, it's not. The word has been around longer than 4chan.

Scientastic posted:

Reading this post, I could almost believe that you've never had a hangover.

I've had precisely one hangover ever and I didn't eat a greasy starch sandwich.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

The word goes back at least to the sitcom "Martin" wherein Brotherman would appear through Martin Lawrence's window at inopportune times looking for a "sammich".

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Bertrand Hustle posted:

If you've only ever had one hangover, you're doing it wrong.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I think it's a requirement of the industry to be hungover at least once a week.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Scientastic posted:

Baron Friedriech von Goonenstein

Also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j41c8y9fyrQ

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.
When did it become so loving hard to just say 'sandwich'? Hell, some people around here are even trying to use 'sang'.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I don't know where 'wifey', or worse, 'The Wifey' came from, but jesus loving christ. my best guess is immature grown men who find the topic of love and marriage uncomfortable to discuss in writing or something. but it drives me nuts.

sammich for the same reason more or less. I take my sandwiches seriously, and 'sammich' is just a faux-cutesy neckbearded socially awkward immature way of trivializing something that is serious goddamn business.

Y
U
M
M
E
R
S
checkout the BOOBS on my swmbo!!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
updated mindphlux.xls :munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

rj54x posted:

If you've only ever had one hangover, you're doing it wrong.

Or maybe I know how to drink water with my booze so I don't get hungover anymore.