Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

SubponticatePoster posted:

Liquor question: I have a bottle of Carolan's Irish Cream that is unopened, but I don't have the slightest idea how old it is (probably very if I don't remember buying it). Does this poo poo go bad, and if so is it obvious? Like chunky or whatnot? It's a cheap knockoff brand so throwing it away certainly won't cause me any grief but if it's still drinkable why waste booze?

It'll be obvious if it's gone bad, but they can usually sit for a couple years unopened. However, if it was ever refrigerated at any point and then allowed to sit at room temp, it's probably hosed.

But as Veg implied, that is an awful Irish Cream. The only lower end brand that I've found that is tolerable is McCormick's.

JawKnee posted:

Except for blue curacao, I've had a bottle of that poo poo for like 3 years now.

gently caress Blue Curacao.

When I was a rookie bartender I lived in a house with two other rookies. We would have a fully stocked bar at home most of the time, have a bunch of people over for after hours 3-5 nights a week, and try to come up with our own shots/drinks constantly. But as the booze supply dwindled every couple of weeks we'd do our best to throw something together with what we still had. "Little of this, little of that, oh hey, we've got plenty of Blue Curacao, why not?" I don't know how it was possible but there was always a nearly full bottle of it in the house, always. So it got put in everything when we were desperate. Nothing good came of that. I can't even smell it now without cringing.

As for booze that will never loving go away, there is a bottle of Creme de Menthe on my shelf that has been with me through three different moves. It is still half full.

rikatix posted:

I guess I don't know why I am posting this, just excited, knew SA would have a forum on it.

Welcome to it. If you haven't done it already, go read through the old thread linked in the OP. It's 100 pages, I know, but if you can slug through it you'll come out a better bartender because of it.

To add some content, fellow bartender and I were out drinking a couple nights back, waxing on about the industry and sharing dumb customer stories.

:j: Can I get a vodka water with a lemon?

:) Sure, here you go.

:j: Umm.. this water tastes funny.

:( Well.. it's our normal tap water, off the gun..

:j: It doesn't taste right, can I get something else?

:) Absolutely. On us. What would you like?

:j: I'll take a vodka soda. With a lemon.

:( Umm.. but that's the same water.. with bubbles..

:j: No, soda water is different. Vodka soda with a lemon.

:( ...okay, here you go..

:j: Oh, that tastes way better, thanks!

:( ...welcome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Tap water isn't the same PH as club soda which isn't the same PH as carbonated water. If you've just got carbonated water coming out of your gun it's going to be more acidic (from the carbonic acid) than the tap water it's made from. Bottled club soda has baking soda added to lower the acidity.

If you've got hard water the drop in water PH from 8'ish down to 3-4 should be noticeable in a vodka+lemon+water drink.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

I can definitely taste a difference in flavour between regular water and soda. I'm guessing the carbon dioxide causes that slightly bitter/sour (not sure exactly how to describe it) kind of flavour, but there's a difference there in taste besides just "bubbles."

e: beated.

uinfuirudo posted:

You can sort of use it as a substitute for triple sec, so theres that.

I have a bottle of Campari sitting around, that might be found in ruins and people might think that this poo poo was actually drank by someone.

Negroni's fuckin own.

Actually, I take it back they suck and Campari has no good uses at all. Here send me that bottle and I'll make sure to dispose of it properly.

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

You guys just made the customer right.

..I don't know who you are anymore.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Actually, I meant to add in that while yes, the flavours are different, regular water tastes better than soda water so she's still wrong. :colbert:

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Dirnok posted:

tolerable....McCormick's.

Everything McCormicks is garbage

Dirnok posted:

:j: No, soda water is different. Vodka soda with a lemon.

:( ...okay, here you go..

:j: Oh, that tastes way better, thanks!

:( ...welcome

We have employees who will only drink our bottled water but have no problem drinking whatever off the gun.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

SubponticatePoster posted:

I have a bottle of that too, that I picked up when I was trying to make purple drinks for some dumb occasion. What the gently caress do you make with blue curacao that isn't a horrible syrupy mess?

Blue Motorcycles were a common drink special in Huntington, WV when I was in college there. The bartenders all used roughly the same recipe:

1 part vodka
1 part white rum
1 part gin
1 part blue curacao
1 part triple sec
Fill to the brim with Sprite, stir, serve on the rocks.

I only include the recipe because my buddy's bartender app gave him a completely different recipe when I asked him about Blue Motorcycles. I found it to be an okay-tasting but dangerous drink.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I am fully convinced that blue curacao bottles are inherently evil, and refill themselves when you're not looking. That poo poo is awful.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I have bad memories of blue curacao due to an absolutely vile loving concoction one of my roommates made while I was in college that marked the first time I'd ever had it. My memory is a little fuzzy, but it went something like this:

5 parts Everclear
4 parts Bacardi 151
1 part blue curacao (mostly just for color)
splashes of Sprite (for a limpwristed attempt at fizz)

He called it Romulan Ale because he was a huge Star Trek nerd and it was the most vile loving thing I have ever tasted. I think I choked down about half of a highball before hitting metaphorical rock bottom, spitting it out, and wondering aloud what the gently caress I was doing drinking paint thinner like that.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Senor Curacao of Curacao makes a blue-coloured version of the real stuff, though I've never had it. I'm sure it's nothing like Bols and DeKuyper.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Have a small part of it white rum and cranberry juice. Say 2 parts rum, half part curacao, 4/5 parts cranberry. Easy. It'll be quite tart, but still totally drinkable.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Halloween Jack posted:

Senor Curacao of Curacao makes a blue-coloured version of the real stuff, though I've never had it. I'm sure it's nothing like Bols and DeKuyper.

It's not disgusting, and nobody's too old for a frozen blue margarita. Once or twice this summer, I'd go down to my local "fancy cocktail bar" and ask for someone to blue me.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Halloween Jack posted:

I've got a tiny bottle of the stuff that I brought back from Curaçao itself a while ago. Should try it some time. The oranges of Curaçao are known to be bitter little shits that apparently even Curacao's prolific goats won't touch, so I'm expecting some Campari style bullshit.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
Anybody in Chicago need somebody? Anyone? I can clean up nice I swear!

Also, Campari is dyn-o-mite. Nicely chilled it's sippable all day eerryday. Campari, soda, and a fat lemon wedge is my favorite hair of the dog usually.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

If you can't hack Campari, that's fine, more for me. I see a girl order a Negroni, I get an erection, it's some pavlov poo poo.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Anything with blue curacao sells like hotcakes at a beach bar. All it takes is one blue Long Island and next thing you know the whole bar is drinking them.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

leica posted:

Anything with blue curacao sells like hotcakes at a beach bar. All it takes is one blue Long Island and next thing you know the whole bar is drinking them.

We call that the "Adios, Motherfucker" and it is such a pretty blue that it definitely causes a chain reaction as people go, "Ooh! What's that??"

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
That's actually why I bought the bottle in the first place years ago - to make Electric Ice Teas

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Long Islands are brown, Adios Mofos are blue, and Tokyo Teas are green. Same drink, different colors.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
You people that drink Campari are just biological mutations, my good god.

You put that stuff in your mouth?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Hoops posted:

I've heard people say the same about your dilz. Now get you a proper made Negroni and consider yourself learned.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Negroni Dilz
1 part sweet vermouth
1 part gin
1 part Campari

Served in an empty can of corn, garnished with a sprig of dill

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I once got called out for drinking a Negroni, by a guy who was hitting on a pair of girls at a really small hotel bar here in Houston. I offered to let him try my "faggy pink drink" and after a bit of goading, he took me up on the offer. And promptly spit it out, not realizing how bitter Campari is (the bartender, a friend, had a good laugh at that).

I wound up taking the girls back to their room at a different hotel, left the dude behind :smug:

I did not, however, get laid. And I still don't understand why not.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Because you were drinking a faggy pink drink?

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

Shooting Blanks posted:

I once got called out for drinking a Negroni, by a guy who was hitting on a pair of girls at a really small hotel bar here in Houston. I offered to let him try my "faggy pink drink" and after a bit of goading, he took me up on the offer. And promptly spit it out, not realizing how bitter Campari is (the bartender, a friend, had a good laugh at that).

I wound up taking the girls back to their room at a different hotel, left the dude behind :smug:

I did not, however, get laid. And I still don't understand why not.

Let's go drinking some time :allears:

Respekt
Aug 8, 2007
la la la
Is it legal in California for an employer to cut out 20% from all CC and automatic 18% gratuity tips from the employees tip pool?

If it's not legal.. I have the saddest face as I would have missed out on $$$$$

edit for clarity: My boss has been cutting 20% from all of our Credit Card tips. So if you tipped me $10, I'd be only getting $8 at the end of the night, and I'm just wondering if its legal for the boss to do that.

Respekt fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Sep 8, 2012

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I'm having trouble parsing your sentence. Can you be a little more clear about what's going on?

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Hoops posted:

come to the dark (pink) side, hoops.

join usssss

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Respekt posted:

Is it legal in California for an employer to cut out 20% from all CC and automatic 18% gratuity tips from the employees tip pool?

edit for clarity: My boss has been cutting 20% from all of our Credit Card tips. So if you tipped me $10, I'd be only getting $8 at the end of the night, and I'm just wondering if its legal for the boss to do that.
Management is not allowed to touch employee tip pools period. They can set rules for who gets what, but they don't disburse the cash. Def shady practice.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Respekt posted:

It is legal for management to dock CC tips the same amount they're paying in CC fees. That's typically about 1.5%, maybe as high as 3% if you have a really lovely processor. 20% is outrageous, though, there is no way they're paying that much.

It sounds shady and/or lovely, but that is literally what the bar pays to the CC company. It's one of the few times I'll side with the bar rather than the employee - there is no reason that the pain shouldn't be shared, nobody likes paying those drat fees. If they're hitting you with 20%, you should ask how much their CC fees are.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Daric posted:

Let's go drinking some time :allears:

I'm game...

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
I don't know what a negroni is, for I am but a naive child in the world of mixology (though a somewhat promising brewer/infuser in my own right). Now i really want one, though. :argh:

Is this a widely known concoction? Or would I get a quizzical stare if ordered.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Very, very few bars actually stock Campari (and very few will have sweet vermouth that isn't spoiled). It's relatively well known, but your best bet for ordering one will be a hotel bar, unless you're in an area with a decent number of cocktail bars.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

25 people walked out at midnight complaining that the dj sucked. What are the grounds for justifiable homicide, again? We went from slammed to polishing glasses on a Saturday night.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
We go through quite a few bottles of Campari, but we have an older clientele mostly.

Bitter drinks, best drinks.

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

"Can I get a cranberry Cape Cod?" :suicide:

On the topic of Campari, I really wish the cocktail bartenders had rallied behind it instead of Fernet Branca. I got use to drinking Fernet. I actually crave Campari sometimes. (I know there is a lot more to all that, I just honestly like Campari and would so much rather drink it than Fernet).

navyjack posted:

Management is not allowed to touch employee tip pools period. They can set rules for who gets what, but they don't disburse the cash. Def shady practice.

I disburse the cash every single night that I manage. They count it out and bundle it, I convert the $100 stacks of singles to $20's, the cups of quarters to $10's and so on. I take the barbacks' cut off the top and divide the rest by number of bartenders working. This is the way it was done when I started, it hasn't changed in seven years and I don't see it changing down the road.

I can understand the potential for poo poo to get shady with a manager having his hands in the tips. But I'm way more concerned with things getting shady when a bartender has his hands in my change box or safe. My bartenders see what the total tips are before I start changing things out so they could easily do the math to make sure I'm not loving them. But the only way they're getting those tips without my hands getting involved is if they want to walk out with bundles of singles and pockets full of quarters.

That said, in regards to Respekt's situation, that sounds shady as all gently caress. When it comes to the law though it's going to be different for every state and I'm not sure we have a veteran California bartender who can speak on that, besides the ever elusive James Woods. I'm pretty sure you're getting hosed though.

Vegetable Melange posted:

25 people walked out at midnight complaining that the dj sucked. What are the grounds for justifiable homicide, again? We went from slammed to polishing glasses on a Saturday night.

Boss man took the early off tonight, left me the bar. He wandered around checking out the competition before coming back and pulling up a stool. A few drinks later he points out that a neighboring bar, a bar with a DJ, has a line out the door. He says "I don't know, that's a lot of people. More than we've had in tonight. We've got the space, maybe we should start booking some DJ's." I shook me head, pulled out my key ring, took my bar key off of it, and slowly slid it towards him. He looked at it for a couple of beats, nodded, and slid it back. Should be at least a year before we have that conversation again.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I was away at university and some friends of mine had come in from out of town. "I know a decent Irish pub we can go to," I said.

We get there around 10pm, I could hear J-Lo from down the street and there were some women in tiny sequined shirts waiting in line outside.

"What the gently caress is this?" I thought, embarrassed.

Turns out the pub had just started having a "Club Night" to boost traffic. I walked away disgusted, so I didn't get to see how hilarious some drunk kids grinding in a pub atmosphere would be.

danquixotic
Nov 24, 2011

krut you are a faggot cunt nigger deer for leaving
If half the clientele isn't over 60, in flatcaps and wearing tweed then it isn't a proper Irish pub.
Bonus points if they can actually speak Irish.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Vegetable Melange posted:

How does a DJ suck? All he has to do is play music, right?

Try having a "one man band" which is basically a guy singing to karaoke tracks and barely playing a guitar. Thankfuly our location does more to pull in customers, but if the singers are bad enough (most of them are) they will drive them away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
DJ bars are not bars for human people.

raton fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 9, 2012

• Locked thread