Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

Skizzles posted:

Look at the emotional abuse Gar puts Trophy through: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pfk08av7TNg

"There's no cake. Because it's a...it's...it's a lie...I lied, there's no cake."

YOU UNFEELING MONSTER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Skizzles posted:

Look at the emotional abuse Gar puts Trophy through: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pfk08av7TNg

I cried.

Andohz
Aug 15, 2004

World's Strongest Smelly Hobo

Superconsndar posted:

most pit bulls have scars from just being assholes and getting told off by other dogs.

I'm starting to think that our staffy is just generating scars on her own, luckily they seem to fade almost entirely after a few weeks.

Completely unrelated, we were on vacation for a week and left our dog at my girlfriend's mother. She has two other dogs that she free feeds. Apparently the first two days our dog was scoffing down her food like mad, pooping constantly and farting heinously. Next two days she only gets hand fed kibble by kibble of their dog food (science hill's something). Rest of the week she also got free fed, chewing the kibbles and not scarfing it down like a mad woman.

We get there to pick her up, see that she's put on a few pounds (from 32 pounds) and then get told that we should free feed her because she eats so much more calmer if you do that and no she hasn't gained weight what are you talking about.

Time to get our dog to lose weight, again :sigh:.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

UGH. I hate it when people "know better" about your pets. That's exactly why I will only ever trust my husband and my brother to watch my animals. God forbid my brother ever isn't available if we need him, I think I'd just cancel whatever I need to do.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
Every time I've left relatives in charge of my dogs, I've come home to dog shaped tubes who are afraid to make a sound because "lol we taught them to never bark while you were gone, they are polite now."

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

I watched a grown man make the Ceasar Milan noise (Tssst) at a chihuahua mix that was barking at my dog. The dog kept looking at him like "YEAH YOU ARE MAD TOO OKAY LETS BARK".

Bailey just always kinda looks at me like "make the small thing go away".

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr
redacted

Crooked Booty fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Sep 7, 2012

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

wtftastic posted:

I watched a grown man make the Ceasar Milan noise (Tssst) at a chihuahua mix that was barking at my dog. The dog kept looking at him like "YEAH YOU ARE MAD TOO OKAY LETS BARK".

We've discovered that the Tssst noise works beautifully on the cats, but only because they're conditioned to the Ssscat.

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.

wtftastic posted:

My mother's dog is really barky and every time she starts off, my mother starts yelling at her. Every time I am visiting and that happens I try to tell my mom that her dog just thinks she's barking too, because that is clearly what happens--the dog gets even more excited and louder and keeps looking at my mom. Sometimes they get in a bark fight were the dog stands there and stares at my mom while barking and my mom stares back and keeps yelling at her and oh my god it is unbelievably funny but I'm pretty sure I would kill someone if I lived in that house.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

2tomorrow posted:

My mother's dog is really barky and every time she starts off, my mother starts yelling at her. Every time I am visiting and that happens I try to tell my mom that her dog just thinks she's barking too, because that is clearly what happens--the dog gets even more excited and louder and keeps looking at my mom. Sometimes they get in a bark fight were the dog stands there and stares at my mom while barking and my mom stares back and keeps yelling at her and oh my god it is unbelievably funny but I'm pretty sure I would kill someone if I lived in that house.

My dad gets really pissed at their corgi barking at him to herd him off to work every morning (a corgi barking?! shocking) and stands there and lectures her about not barking at people for a while while she loses it until he finally gives up and leaves. He doesn't get why this method has not stopped her from barking at him every morning for 9 years.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Instant Jellyfish posted:

My dad gets really pissed at their corgi barking at him to herd him off to work every morning (a corgi barking?! shocking) and stands there and lectures her about not barking at people for a while while she loses it until he finally gives up and leaves. He doesn't get why this method has not stopped her from barking at him every morning for 9 years.

oh my gosh, is it just me that thinks it's really cute that the corgi has their routine down pat, and lets him know it's time to go to work now? :3:

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.

Plus_Infinity posted:

oh my gosh, is it just me that thinks it's really cute that the corgi has their routine down pat, and lets him know it's time to go to work now? :3:

My 14 year old heeler is that way, except he doesn't really bark and he's too polite to do much. He thinks that 10 PM is bedtime and if I am not at least reading in bed by that time he starts trying to get me there. First he'll come and stare at me until I look at him, then he'll look at the bedroom, then back to me. That happens a few times. If I get up to, say, get a glass of water he'll use his body to kind of push me in the direction of the bedroom, just getting in my way and leaning on me but it's obvious what he's doing. If all this fails he'll go lay in the corner and start heaving these really big sighs every so often to let me know he's frustrated (he does this whenever he's unhappy about something, like if I kick him off the bed or if my housemate takes her dog for a walk and we don't go with them). If I so much as look at him he'll jump up and recommence the staring at me, then at the bedroom routine. If I stay up really late he'll eventually just go to the bedroom by himself, and he grumbles to himself as he goes. It is adorable.

He also does other things when I don't stick to his schedule, that's just the most obvious. He's quite polite but he does not like it when I break the rules of the house. But the behavior has it's up side too, because he trains all my new dogs for me. He's the dog police, basically.

Also even though Jellyfish's dad is on his way to work when the corgi barks, I'm picturing him in a bathrobe and slippers, with a pipe in his hand and lecturing the dog all, "Now see here young lady..."

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

2tomorrow posted:

Also even though Jellyfish's dad is on his way to work when the corgi barks, I'm picturing him in a bathrobe and slippers, with a pipe in his hand and lecturing the dog all, "Now see here young lady..."

Oh herding dogs :3: Major is very similar to your heeler. He doesn't bark but he'll sigh and give pointed looks when things aren't going according to his dog rules.

Also my dad is a banker so usually he's in a suit with his briefcase while he's lecturing the dog. "Now Cricket, I thought we've talked about this..."

liwet
Jan 1, 2006

Are you loathsome tonight?

2tomorrow posted:

My 14 year old heeler is that way, except he doesn't really bark and he's too polite to do much. He thinks that 10 PM is bedtime and if I am not at least reading in bed by that time he starts trying to get me there. First he'll come and stare at me until I look at him, then he'll look at the bedroom, then back to me. That happens a few times. If I get up to, say, get a glass of water he'll use his body to kind of push me in the direction of the bedroom, just getting in my way and leaning on me but it's obvious what he's doing. If all this fails he'll go lay in the corner and start heaving these really big sighs every so often to let me know he's frustrated (he does this whenever he's unhappy about something, like if I kick him off the bed or if my housemate takes her dog for a walk and we don't go with them). If I so much as look at him he'll jump up and recommence the staring at me, then at the bedroom routine. If I stay up really late he'll eventually just go to the bedroom by himself, and he grumbles to himself as he goes. It is adorable.

He also does other things when I don't stick to his schedule, that's just the most obvious. He's quite polite but he does not like it when I break the rules of the house. But the behavior has it's up side too, because he trains all my new dogs for me. He's the dog police, basically.

My old tibetan terier Millicent used to do that - she was very strict about bedtime, she liked us to go to bed at 11:30.

When my parents would have dinner parties, she'd sit in the doorway staring at them from about 11:20. At 11:30 she'd bark once. At 11:45 she'd go around the table and headbutt each guests' knees, and at midnight she'd sit at the head of the table and launch into heartfelt A-WOO-WOO-WOOing, at which point my mum would say "I'm sorry guys, but the dog says it's time to go home!" and Millicent would go and stand by the front door until evveryone left. FUN POLICE.

I miss that old bag.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006

2tomorrow posted:

My Grandmother's chow was like that. She has a pretty early bed time normally. but when company is over she stays up later. I remember one time it was getting past 9pm and Nala (the dog) appeared in my grandmother's bedroom doorway looking out at her. Then she would come up to her chair and lay her head on her knee, then paw at her. Then lay down with a huff at her feet.

Lefty Lugubrious
Apr 30, 2006

I used to watch Frasier re-runs on the Hallmark channel almost every night before bed, so my corgi (before he became my husband's shadow) recognized the "Tossed Salad and Scrambled Eggs" song as his cue to go to the back door for his last potty walk. When I deviated from this routine he got a little annoyed. Any amount of shifting would make him wheel around, ears up, like "Is it time now???"

We don't have a problem with the barking, I taught him the command "Enough" and while it doesn't completely silence him, he drops the volume to what we call his "wuffle bark". It's like a low grumble. We appreciate him talking to us and letting us know when something's up ("HEY HEY HEY THE CAT IS ON THE COUNTER" "HEY HEY HEY THERE'S A SQUIRREL ON THE FENCE" "HEY HEY HEY THE MAIL IS HERE") but I never ever want him to turn into a neurotic barking mess like my mother's dog. My mother also doesn't understand that screaming at them to shut up does. Not. Work. At all.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Keeper actually resists bedtime, much like a small child.

See, in the evenings when I'm preoccupied with dinner/reptile feeding/Doctor Who marathons, he sneaks past me downstairs to his favored perch on an armchair by the living room window, where he keeps tabs of everyone in my townhome complex coming home. He's learned not to bark loudly at them, because he now knows if I hear it, I'll find out that he's snuck onto the chair again, and come downstairs and insist that he do something else, so instead of alerting wildly when he sees a person he just muffles his fury into the chair so he can go undetected. Periodically you hear the jingling keys of someone walking to their door, followed by this hateful muffled 'Boof. Boof. Boof boof.' but he can't quite contain himself so he sometimes errupts in barking if the person lingers too long near the window or is talking to someone else. When I hear that, I know he's back on the chair, so I snap my fingers (that's the 'you'd better get your poofy rear end back here' command, as opposed to just 'come') and call him, and he comes sulkily back upstairs, acting innocent, but before long he's taken advantage of my inattention to sneak back down again.

When it comes time for bed, I call him, realize he's not upstairs, and call him again, getting more irritated. He remains as long as he can on the chair, knowing that bedtime means he's shut in the bedroom and can't continue his nightly window vigil, so he resists. I'll stand at the top of the stairs and yell at him, and he beats his tail sorrowfully on the chair but lays with his head on his paws all innocent-like, hoping to convince me that he's a Good Dog Who Should Be Allowed To Guard The House, until the dreaded finger-snap happens and he droops and sloooowly ascends the stairs, looking back at his abandoned post all the while. Funnily enough, he actually loves his bed in my room, and spends most of his time there, but once the night falls, he's got a sacred duty to perform.

If our house ever actually gets broken into while I've got him upstairs in the bedroom with me, I'll never hear the end of it.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
"Boof boof boof" is the perfect onomotopeia for I WANT TO BARK BUT I MUST BE QUIET. My neighbors have a chi/terrier mix that I often hear that from. :3:

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

2tomorrow posted:

My cousin's 14 year old mini poodle does the same "stare-at-you, sigh heavily and stamp feet" routine. Maybe its an older dog thing?

SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

I pulled the Staffy girl. She's so drat cute, bigger than I expected, a bit bigger than Angus and long bodied with kind of a swayback. and she's clearly had a few litters and dear god she stinks. This is the only picture I have right now, she would not hold still and she's finally sleeping so I won't be bugging her just yet.

I had to close the cats in my room and move my rats in there too, she's was not raised with small animals that's for sure but I expected that. The big relief is she really seems to like other dogs, Angus especially. She keeps running up to his crate and doing playbows and full body wags. I wish I could let them play together!

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Awww she likes Angus :3:

Can't let them play because of vaccination issues or do you think it'll lead to DA?

Kerfuffle posted:

"Boof boof boof" is the perfect onomotopeia for I WANT TO BARK BUT I MUST BE QUIET. My neighbors have a chi/terrier mix that I often hear that from. :3:

I MUST BARK BUT SOFTLY SO NO ONE WILL SAY NO BUT STILL LOUD ENOUGH SO THAT THE OFFENDING PERSON KNOWS I WILL KILL THEM

Also soft growling whines are very key to this process.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Captain Foxy posted:

I MUST BARK BUT SOFTLY SO NO ONE WILL SAY NO BUT STILL LOUD ENOUGH SO THAT THE OFFENDING PERSON KNOWS I WILL KILL THEM

Sounds like my boyfriends dog.

IF I BARK QUIETLY IT DOESN'T COUNT

SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

Captain Foxy posted:

Awww she likes Angus :3:

Can't let them play because of vaccination issues or do you think it'll lead to DA?

She's so overwhelmed by everything right now I want to be sure everyone stays safe. Angus and Eva are up to date on everything because they had to be kenneled when I went on vacation.

She really needs to see a vet. She's passing blood in her urine and isn't spayed yet. Those two things may be related but still should get that checked out since I don't know anything else about her history, if she's been in heat lately etc.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

Skylar update! We returned home from our trip a couple days ago. Both dogs were totally fine the whole time, despite my worrying.

In fact, Skylar is now doing better than before we left. She'd been slowing down a bit, and sometimes would show very little interest in food. Since we came back, though, she's been prancing around again. To make sure she keeps eating, I've increased how often I add "extras" to her meals. I've always given the dogs a variety of healthy things to supplement their kibble, but now I'm doing it every day. What they get varies depending on what I have time for or have around on a given day; stuff like greek yogurt, scrambled eggs with kale, mashed sweet potatos, etc.

There has been a little bit of jealousy from Beck lately. She'd been staring to get pushy about my attention, shoving Skylar out of the way when she thinks it's her turn to snuggle. I've increased how often I do training sessions with Beck, and whenever Skylar is distracted by something like a bone or a toy, I give Beck some extra butt scratches and attention. I haven't had any more problems with her, but I'm keeping an eye out.

btw, one of Skylar's favorite games is having bark-offs with me. When I hear her bark, I'll imitate her weird "Yarp!" back at her. She'll look confused for a minute, then bark again. I make the same noise again, which gets her to bark again, and so on. This is endlessly amusing to her (she is not a bright animal), and she'll go on playing for almost five minutes. I've never done it longer than that because I'm not insane.

Anyway, have some pictures.

I found a photo of Skylar from 5 years ago. Notice that she's always had that weird little white moustache, and that she's ruined an otherwise nice picture by being covered in grass clippings and drooling.

Her current look. I like how her eyebrows have turned white in a way that they look like cartoon angry eyebrows.

edit: SuperTwo, oh my gosh, please get pictures of that staffy's ears.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Skylar you are so loving cute. Yarp at her forever. :3:

I can easily see how you are prolonging this dog's life just because she wants scrambled eggs with kale in her bowl every morning.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

Captain Foxy posted:

Skylar you are so loving cute. Yarp at her forever. :3:

I can easily see how you are prolonging this dog's life just because she wants scrambled eggs with kale in her bowl every morning.

Honestly they're both lucky that I find them hilarious.

I used to try to give them greens sauteed with a little chicken broth, but both dogs have made it clear that greens are bullshit unless they're scrambled in some eggs. And they have to be cooked eggs if I'm going to give any to Beck, because she's deeply, deeply suspicious of raw egg and will stare at it forever while I repeat "You like eggs! Eat the eggs, Beckie!"

mickeymickey
Sep 13, 2004
punch me, i'm irish
Rory is also very insistent about bedtime. If it gets to be about midnight and we're still up, he will sigh heavily and gaze at the bedroom door. Sometimes he'll go ahead and get into bed, and then come back out to check if we've noticed by looking at us pointedly. One night when I was at work, my fiance was staying up super late playing video games and Rory actually got into bed and started crying. Fiance is a big softie, so even though he wasn't done playing, he went to bed anyway :3:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Terra does the BOOF BOOF thing after you tell her to stop barking. She'll give you a look of "What? I'm protecting you assholes from the evil six year old paper boy", then let out one little BOOF just to let you know that even though you told her that she had to stop barking, she still wanted to. It's like one last "gently caress you" from her.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Wheats posted:

Honestly they're both lucky that I find them hilarious.

I used to try to give them greens sauteed with a little chicken broth, but both dogs have made it clear that greens are bullshit unless they're scrambled in some eggs. And they have to be cooked eggs if I'm going to give any to Beck, because she's deeply, deeply suspicious of raw egg and will stare at it forever while I repeat "You like eggs! Eat the eggs, Beckie!"

Balen and Kaydee both do that thing with raw eggs, though the reaction is vastly different. Balen sits and looks at me as if I've stabbed him in the heart, because how could I present such a terrible thing to him? Kaydee noses it twice, then eyes me like I'm loving with her head. She then snorts, lays down in front of it and stares at me until I fix What Is Wrong With It.

Meanwhile I could pretty much give Amy and Ires whole eggs and they'd probably try to gulp them down snake-like. On the other hand, my dogs eat lettuce, zucchini, cucumbers, spinach, broccoli, whole carrots (carrot day is their favorite day). So I can hardly complain they're picky.

Kaydee also boof boofs, but she stomps away from the door/window while she does it and looks all pissed off and irritated that someone told her to shut up 10 minutes after the UPS dude left.

SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

The more I look at the dog I pulled the less I think she's all Staffy. She's just so weird looking. It doesn't help that she's got an underbite that really makes her look just funky head on. And then she'll bound around like a puppy and she moves just like Angus. I'm pretty sure she's close enough for the rescue, they've pulled some pretty un-staffy staffies.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
She looks almost boston-y.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Superconsndar posted:

She looks almost boston-y.

How rude.

SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

I was thinking that as well, that she might be some kind of BT mix. Things were so crazy at the shelter that even if they handed me a border collie I probably would have said, yep that's a Staffie and pulled it, especially knowing it was gonna die if I didn't. I hope that she's close enough for the rescue and I'm not stuck finding another place for her to go. :ohdear:

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

mickeymickey posted:

Rory is also very insistent about bedtime. If it gets to be about midnight and we're still up, he will sigh heavily and gaze at the bedroom door. Sometimes he'll go ahead and get into bed, and then come back out to check if we've noticed by looking at us pointedly. One night when I was at work, my fiance was staying up super late playing video games and Rory actually got into bed and started crying. Fiance is a big softie, so even though he wasn't done playing, he went to bed anyway :3:

Max does the same thing. Eventually I started ignoring his whining (I'm not going to bed at 9, dog!) and he'll just put himself to bed then when I finally come up an hour or two later he'll give me this disgusted look because I dared to wake him up :rolleyes:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Those ears are fantastic. :3:

"Boof Boof" really is a great description of that kind of quiet barking. Gail has a version of it where she growls a bit too, I call it "wuffling and gruffling". Usually it means "give me cuddles".

Carebear
Apr 16, 2003

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno you will won't.
I hope everything works out with her! She's cute, I hope her medical issues are minor ones.

We're temporarily moving in with my in-laws for a few months, starting in November. We'll be in the basement with our three cats and two dogs. My in-laws have two dogs as well, a golden retriever and a yorkie. I'm ecstatic that my dogs will get a big yard and dog friends to play with, but worried about everything else.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Friends on Facebook just posted asking if anyone wants their pug.

"We don't have as much time for her anymore." They just had a baby, but have had the dog for at least two years.

"She's wee-wee pad trained." So you don't even walk her and somehow don't have time for her?

Ugh.

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.

AcetylCoA! posted:

My cousin's 14 year old mini poodle does the same "stare-at-you, sigh heavily and stamp feet" routine. Maybe its an older dog thing?

My guy has been doing it since he was a little one. :) It's also how he lets me know he needs to go out. I got him as a pup and he was pretty much born housebroken but even after years of trying I have never been able to get him to ring a bell or whine or scratch or anything except come up and stare at me until I notice, then look in the direction of the door.

The problem is that he often stares at me just in case I need him to do something so I'm a little used to ignoring his stares. Hence the multiple, persistent, multi-year attempts to teach him another method. :sigh: drat dog won't shake hands either. That is like the easiest trick in the world to teach (all of my other dogs do it just fine) and he is otherwise a very trainable dog but I have tried for years and he just gives me this look like, "This is so beneath me." Even if I use his super-high-value treats, he's still like, "Um, no."

This is him on patrol:

McDragon posted:

Those ears are fantastic. :3:

I am glad SuperTwo is clearly not near me (based on the landscape in the outdoor photos) because I would not be able to resist those ears.

Good on you SuperTwo, I hope it all works out well for her. :)

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Serella posted:

Friends on Facebook just posted asking if anyone wants their pug.

"We don't have as much time for her anymore." They just had a baby, but have had the dog for at least two years.

How does a pug take up any time at all? It's like a floor rug that wheezes and farts occasionally.

quote:

"She's wee-wee pad trained."

Oh I get it, they never actually housetrained it so it's probably making GBS threads and pissing all over their house and they 'don't have time' for that anymore. WELP SOMEONE ON FACEBOOK WILL WANT THIS :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

Just to join in the discussion on silent barks and such, Angus silent whines. He has an "enough" cue to shut the hell up because I'm done with him whining about the fact that the cat is getting more attention than him or barking in my face because I asked him to do something he didn't feel like doing or some other bullshit. After that he switches to whines so high pictched I can't hear them. I know he's still whining though from the pattern of his breathing and the way his penis bobs up and down with his whines. When I tell him enough again he looks absolutely shocked. Bastard.

• Locked thread