Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Machinegunboyo
Apr 26, 2010

life is good
Chiming in to say that I was pleasantly surprised by this film. It's not amazing by any means, but it's definitely entertaining and worth watching. It's been a long time since I watched an action film and not felt like it was insulting my intelligence. Sure there may be the odd plot hole here and there, but it's pretty cohesive. Dredd's character is basically not developed at all, but for the most part, that's a good thing. He's great when he's just shooting poo poo and delivering one-liners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
Saw this earlier, wasn't expecting much but found it to be a hell of a lot of fun. It's intense and violent as hell. It's everything The Expendables 2 failed to be.

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

I thought this was a swingers party...
I thought I would miss the lo-fi 'Drokk' soundtrack that was originally composed but the one they use in the film is absolutely fantastic. It's like a really hosed up distorted mix of 80's synths, Drum n' Bass and industrial metal that's atmospheric and emphasises the action accordingly.

I saw it on one of those fancy pants new iSense screens Odeon have and the sound was near bone rattling. Whoever did that sound mix just completely nailed it and it seriously added to the film's atmosphere.

Fantastic film as well. I have my hangups and the stretched budget showed (Do we really need to see the same establishing elevator shaft shot over and over?) but the sheer passion for the comics shone through in everything they did. I already want to see it again just to experience it again and see how references they threw in I saw one of Otto Sump's "Beauty Parlours" on the bottom floor of Peach Trees and you could see Judge Hershey and Judge Minty on the map when they are taking the assignments

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
All this talk about the name of the building being named Peachtree, makes me think this is the future Atlanta. Downtown just became a giant megablock and Judge Dredd is doing a drug raid down here.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
'Peachtree' is supposedly the name of the curry house where Garland and others used to meet up to discuss things in preproduction.

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009
I really enjoyed this. As others have said, it's got an '80's action flick vibe with plenty of violence, blood and shooting. I haven't read the comics for a long long time but the film didn't have some of the crazier stuff I remember - it felt more generically urban than the MegaCity One I read about as a kid. They used the moderate budget pretty effectively though - I particularly enjoyed the scene where Mama uses miniguns to flatten a segment of the block. Karl Urban and his perma-scowl are pretty badass too.

I hope it does well. This was well positioned for a first film and I'd like to see what they'd do with a bigger scope and budget.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
The more I think about this film, the more I like it. There's so much more going on in here than you expect. Can't wait to see it again in 2-D.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
How are you guys seeing it so early? Doesn't come out in NYC until the 21st :(

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

It was released yesterday in the UK and the more I'm reading this thread the more desperate I am to go and see it.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

I saw it last night. I'm a huge fan of Dredd and I've been reading the comics since I was a kid. I went in expecting nothing, came out grinning like an arsehole. It's an excellent adaptation and the best comic-based movie I can recall seeing. It also helps that it keeps within a reasonable running time and doesn't run into two or three hours unlike most comic adaptations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

As a longtime 2000AD subscriber this was totally worth the £13.50 my local vue managed to hold the film hostage for. 3D plus VUEXTREME bullshit was the only screen they were showing :(

I'd definitely go again if it wasnt so stupid expensive.

spikenigma
Nov 13, 2005

by Ralp
Awesomeness from start to finish!

Can't wait for the philosphical debate about the judges :)

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

gently caress sake, neither of my local cinemas have a regular showing of this, just 3D. Is this 3D only?

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
My local Cineworld has 1 2D showing a day at a pretty bad time.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
My local cinema hs no 2-D showings at all. It's a drat shame.

DicksToAsses posted:

VUEXTREME bullshit

Can you explain this?

SuperFurryAnimal
May 10, 2004
Super Furry Animal
This film's got actual Robocop style criminals in it, and when they pop they do it in a very Paul Verhoeven way. Squibs! loving squibs! I'm absolutely delighted this got made in 2012.

I only have a passing knowledge of Judge Dredd as a 2000AD thing but I absolutely loved this film. It's a proper callback to the 1980's way of doing hard 18-rated action and sci-fi and I feel it's destined to be a cult classic. The story is very simple, but it's tight, self contained and a great introduction to Judge Dredd and Anderson. I'd love to see more of Mega City One in the sequel.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Found a list of all the 2D showings and the nearest one to me is about a hundred miles away. Looks like I'll be waiting for the DVD then.

http://film.list.co.uk/article/45206-dredd-2d-screenings-around-the-uk/

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Professor Clumsy posted:

Can you explain this?

Its essentially the vue cinema chain's attempt at an imax-style experience. The screen is bigger than their regular screens (but not imax big, 18x10m says their faq), the sound is clearer (supposedly, it just seems louder to me but I've only seen 2 films in the format and haven't been to a regular screen since to really compare so I may just have lovely ears) and the seating is stepped on a steeper angle for better clearance over that one super tall rear end in a top hat who always sits in front of you.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 8, 2012

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

Wow, that really is bullshit.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Professor Clumsy posted:

Wow, that really is bullshit.

The kicker is that they do have a regular 3D screen too, but they're apparently only using for Brave once a day :suicide:. You have no choice but to pay the £3 vuextreme premium on top of the 3D premium if you want to see Dredd, unless you wait til the end of the run and hope they see fit to throw it on the normal screen for the last couple of showings.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Yup, this movie was awesome. I saw plenty of future-bullets and violence.. Watch this movie because it's a solid, graphic future bloodbath with plenty of grimaces.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I just got back from seeing this with my old man, who was into the Dredd comics when they first came out in the late-70s and we both loved it.

I was kinda shocked at how bloody it was, it really does remind you of ultraviolent 80s action movies, it kind of reminded me of Rambo 4 in that sense. The cheapness of the film does show in some places, but it still looks really, really good.

I also liked that they kept the plot and premise really simple and didn't try to do anything 'big'. It made the film all the better that there was no fat that needed trimmed from it at all.

I've got to mention the score too, which was superb and worked really really well. Lots of dark sounding industrial synths, pounding bass drums and good use of super slowed down music during the slo mo scenes.

A wicked film, and one that I'm amazed was made in 2012.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
I got a big kick out of hearing this song in the film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLKibXI3fXY

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I have a horrible feeling it's going to tank but if we do just get one Dredd film then I'm glad it's this because it was great. No saving the city/world bobbins, just a monstrous fascist bad motherfucker out on patrol, showing a rookie the ropes and cleaning house.

I loved how it combined a grimy, miserable 80s feel with moments of euphoric beauty in the gorgeous SlowMo shots, especially (ending spoiler) Ma-Ma's demise, which managed to somehow be the most wonderful shot I've seen in a film this year, just floating through the air, parting the smoke, spinning around while some the score plays along before...smashing head first into the ground and sending blood all over the screen. It's obscene how lovely that looked considering what actually occurred.

Urban was perfect, never letting up for a minute and the part at the end which could/should have posed a moral quandary regarding his need to rigidly apply the law against the human cost of doing so was pure Dredd in the awful yet practical simplicity of his solution to it.

Thirlby was great as Anderson, giving the film the character arc and moral centre Dredd never can. Headey's Ma-Ma was also very good and surprisingly menacing whenever she was on-screen (if anything, the film could have done with more of her).

I know some have complained how Mega City One doesn't look particularly futuristic and while they have a point, you just have to accept they had a much lower budget than the '95 film and what they did portray managed to look all too depressingly more believable for it.

So yeah, really enjoyed it, it was the kind of film that's been sorely absent of late (well, apart from The Raid, obviously *boomtish*), hope it does well enough to get that follow-up. I'd implore that people go see this instead of the usual $200m Michael Bay shitfests but in all honesty, I'm not hopeful for its chances.

Obligatory Retarded Possible Sequel Hook:

Dredd killed four bad judges in this, right? Maybe if they aren't prepared to go all out crazy down the parallel dimension route, they've got an 'in' there!!!11 (I know, I know, couldn't resist)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Sentinel Red posted:

I have a horrible feeling it's going to tank but if we do just get one Dredd film then I'm glad it's this because it was great. No saving the city/world bobbins, just a monstrous fascist bad motherfucker out on patrol, showing a rookie the ropes and cleaning house.

I loved how it combined a grimy, miserable 80s feel with moments of euphoric beauty in the gorgeous SlowMo shots, especially (ending spoiler) Ma-Ma's demise, which managed to somehow be the most wonderful shot I've seen in a film this year, just floating through the air, parting the smoke, spinning around while some the score plays along before...smashing head first into the ground and sending blood all over the screen. It's obscene how lovely that looked considering what actually occurred.

Urban was perfect, never letting up for a minute and the part at the end which could/should have posed a moral quandary regarding his need to rigidly apply the law against the human cost of doing so was pure Dredd in the awful yet practical simplicity of his solution to it.

Thirlby was great as Anderson, giving the film the character arc and moral centre Dredd never can. Headey's Ma-Ma was also very good and surprisingly menacing whenever she was on-screen (if anything, the film could have done with more of her).

I know some have complained how Mega City One doesn't look particularly futuristic and while they have a point, you just have to accept they had a much lower budget than the '95 film and what they did portray managed to look all too depressingly more believable for it.

So yeah, really enjoyed it, it was the kind of film that's been sorely absent of late (well, apart from The Raid, obviously *boomtish*), hope it does well enough to get that follow-up. I'd implore that people go see this instead of the usual $200m Michael Bay shitfests but in all honesty, I'm not hopeful for its chances.

Obligatory Retarded Possible Sequel Hook:

Dredd killed four bad judges in this, right? Maybe if they aren't prepared to go all out crazy down the parallel dimension route, they've got an 'in' there!!!11 (I know, I know, couldn't resist)

They already said if it makes 50 in America then they will do the Cursed Earth and if that does well then they will do a third and last movie which involves Judge Death.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Thing is, $50m doesn't sound so bad when some films do triple that in an opening weekend but something like this, violent, low budget, limited awareness/familiarity with the material, restricted certificate, etc, all the odds are kind of stacked against it.

I really hope it makes it, though, I'd love to see more stories with these guys on the big screen. Plus, y'know, gotta love that 80s ultraviolence.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Sentinel Red posted:

Thing is, $50m doesn't sound so bad when some films do triple that in an opening weekend but something like this, violent, low budget, limited awareness/familiarity with the material, restricted certificate, etc, all the odds are kind of stacked against it.

I really hope it makes it, though, I'd love to see more stories with these guys on the big screen. Plus, y'know, gotta love that 80s ultraviolence.

I know for a fact that I will be going on opening weekend. I love Dredd.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Sentinel Red posted:

On the plus side, word of mouth. It'll have been out in the UK for a full two weeks before it hits stateside, and so far it's getting REALLY good press. Not a single negative review on RT so far, and most of the positive ones range from good to excellent (sometimes a 100% fresh film can still have quite mediocre reviews overall, just nothing actually negative).

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
Does Karl Uraban really keep that stupid grimace on his face the entire time?

A smug sociopath
Feb 13, 2012

Unironically alpha.

Mr.48 posted:

He'd better. :colbert:

Also, watching the trailer while listening to Claudio Simonetti's Cut and Run theme makes it look like the most awesome 80's action that never was.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Can anyone who has seen it in both 3D and 2D recommend one or the other?

I'm totally fine with 3D if the effects are worth it but generally prefer 2D for ease.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Nutsngum posted:

Can anyone who has seen it in both 3D and 2D recommend one or the other?

I'm totally fine with 3D if the effects are worth it but generally prefer 2D for ease.

I haven't seen the 2D, but the 3D made all the slo-mo drug effects really cool and didn't do much else for me, really. Important and cool stuff happens during some of these effects sequences though so I'd probably recommend the 3D for a first viewing just because that way you get to see everything.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Yeah the drug sequences were pretty awesome in 3D. Go for it.

StoicFnord
Jul 27, 2012

"If you want to make enemies....try to change something."

College Slice
Can't say enough good things about Dredd.

The tone was as close to perfect as could be made. Karl Urban owned the role. It had all the 2000AD I could want, and it did exactly what it said on the tin.

The Violence was beautiful and horrific. The 3D was awesome during the drug scenes, but not much beyond that.

I am going to see it again. Then I will get the Blu-Ray.

You owe it to yourself to see it if you are sitting on the fence. It isn't an Oscar winner, but it was a good flick.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

I am so pissed that this isn't out until October 25th in Australia. Especially since Karl Urban will be at a local convention I'm attending on October 12-14. Why the hell do we have to wait this long, I want to see this 5 goddamn times now, not later.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Mr.48 posted:

drat straight he does. :black101: Actually, I can't imagine how he managed it, I can't hold that look for more than 5 seconds. Dude must have lead weights in his gob dragging it down at the sides.

Looking back, all the concern over the helmet making him look like a bobble-head was for nothing, it's absolutely perfect in the actual film.

As for the 3D/2D thing, I saw it in 3D and personally, I don't think it adds much (but then I'm no fan of 3D at all, couldn't tell you a single film where I thought it did). The (admittedly lovely) SlowMo moments and end credits were the only times it stood out, bar some weird copper wiring in a hacker's room.

CheechLizard
Jul 1, 2000

It stays at 50%, goy!
The slow motion sequences were like something out of a BBC nature documentary, astonishingly beautiful but with Dredd exploding faces instead of killer whales murdering seals.
I gotta see this again in 2D.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Sentinel Red posted:

As for the 3D/2D thing, I saw it in 3D and personally, I don't think it adds much (but then I'm no fan of 3D at all, couldn't tell you a single film where I thought it did). The (admittedly lovely) SlowMo moments and end credits were the only times it stood out, bar some weird copper wiring in a hacker's room.

I found the only times I really NOTICED the 3D were:

During most of the ultra-slow-mo sequences, especially when looking up or down the tower atrium

Looking directly into the hackers artificial eyes

When Anderson gets inside the head of the guy they have in custody: I'm pretty sure they deliberately hosed with the 3D to make the whole sequence unsettling

Other than that it was pretty indifferent, I'd probably not have bothered if there was a 2D screening at a reasonable time and saved the extra 3 quid. I've seen a couple of films where the 3D really added to it, Avatar comes to mind, but for the most part it's not worth the extra money.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
This was number 1 at the UK Box Office for this weekend, according to the 2000AD twitter.

Also its still at 100% on Rotten Tomatoes after now 33 reviews. Seems like every respectable published UK reviewer likes it.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dredd_3d/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

Here's my review, for anyone interested. Really fantastic film.

• Locked thread