Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Gah, forgot about it. Set it to record tomorrow. The first two were excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

netally posted:

I went to see Tim and Eric's live show, and at the bar found myself in front of Graham Linehan. I reeeeeeally didn't know what to say to him, because the guy is my loving hero.

Believe me, you did the right thing.

I've twice seen him in my mum's town and he is incredibly shy and conspicuously self conscious. I said "hi, how's it going" to him at a busy bar the first time (busy by the standards of a pub in rural County Clare, meaning there were a few people standing at it - we're not talking about the Koko club here) and he just nodded and excused himself saying he "felt a bit exposed here", and then slunk off. I honestly thought maybe he'd accidentally broken wind or something but nothing registered in the nostrils. If I hadn't known who he was I'd have assumed he was a bit of a mental.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Johnson from Peep Show is probably my favourite character in any TV series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXGfkfNRcFw&t=277s

"More fool you, rear end in a top hat"

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
I hope y'all are watching The Thick of It.

"I hate schoolchildren. Might as well be talking to loving geese."

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Noreaus posted:

I'd forgotten how cringeworthy it was! My toes have all curled up and refuse to uncurl.

"Charlotte! That's an easier name!" :gonk:

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
(Next week on Thick of it) Yay the (not-)Labour people next week!

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Noreaus posted:

Ianucci hasn't missed a beat in its absence. I was in tears through most of it; the coalition angle is just amazing.

Crab Battle
Jan 16, 2010

Haha! Yeah!
Mannion's speech to the children was genuinely hard to watch.

Great episode all round, good to see this show back.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Didn't like it, the Lib Dems were poo poo, the Tories struggled to carry it. Glen's justification for still being around was clumsy and he's already done this whole irrelevance arc at least twice. Best part was Terri trying to get fired, worst part was the presentation scene. Didn't they used to cut out the cringeworthy parts and just give us the reactions?

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
I thought it was great. The Lib Dem aide is the Daily Mail guy from the Rise of the Nutters?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

It's been far too long since The Thick of It had new episodes. Really liked it, old characters were as good as ever, the new ones were pretty funny. Nice to see there can be good episodes even without Malcolm. Loved the bit where the idea gets axed and Stewart is just lost for words.

Mannion is great. He was my favourite opposition guy in the earlier series, and the specials. "Oh, Piss Christ, I've been spotted."

"What do you ask for, the, the, uh, Wanker?"

Next episode's looking pretty great too.

Etherwind
Apr 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 57 days!
Soiled Meat
Mannion kills it in every scene he's in. The rest are mostly forgettable, with the exception of Emma Messinger and Phil Smith. Looking forward to the Lib Dem characters getting some actual characterisation, and the return of Tucker.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The only strange thing for me was Phil Smith losing his bite. Other than that, it was loving fantastic. Mannion is the absolute stand out though.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

Etherwind posted:

Mannion kills it in every scene he's in. The rest are mostly forgettable, with the exception of Emma Messinger and Phil Smith. Looking forward to the Lib Dem characters getting some actual characterisation, and the return of Tucker.

Mannion was fantastic.

"I'm bored of this. I'm going for a Twix."

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Gorn Myson posted:

The only strange thing for me was Phil Smith losing his bite. Other than that, it was loving fantastic. Mannion is the absolute stand out though.

Wait wait wait, Will Smith's character is called Phil Smith? Jesus. I enjoyed it a lot, and as for the libs being limp and undistinguished, surely that's the joke? (it might not be the joke)

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Wasn't sure at first, but really enjoyed it. Not convinced on the Lim Dems, but I'm sure they'll grow into it. Stuart is a fantastic character. It would have been really easy for them to just have another Malcolm (like The Fucker, but I'm sure he'll be in it at some point), but Stuart offers a different side of that coin.

Red7
Sep 10, 2008
I'm hoping that Stuart getting cut out of the loop a little at the end of the episode means its building up to a return of The Fucker.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Red7 posted:

I'm hoping that Stuart getting cut out of the loop a little at the end of the episode means its building up to a return of The Fucker.

It's probably an attempt to dramatise why Steve Hilton quit.

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?

Metrication posted:

I thought it was great. The Lib Dem aide is the Daily Mail guy from the Rise of the Nutters?

Yep, I thought it was strange that they had him there and couldn't get over Glen working for the Tories/Lib Dems either, both were offputting.

Next week.. is it just me or did Ben refer to Nicola as the leader of the Opposition? Surely not. Please, no!

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Impotent and incompetent leader of the opposition who nobody wanted? Sounds about right.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

James R posted:

Yep, I thought it was strange that they had him there and couldn't get over Glen working for the Tories/Lib Dems either, both were offputting.

Next week.. is it just me or did Ben refer to Nicola as the leader of the Opposition? Surely not. Please, no!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/9528308/The-Thick-of-It-BBC-Two-an-interview-with-the-Rt-Hon-Nicola-Murray-MP.html

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

#tash-hag is genius

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Mannion absolutely kills it. His "She's making eyes at me. I wish I could make redundancy at her" and "The bailiffs have come to take away my will to live" lines loving slayed me.

Can't wait for return of The Fucker.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Sep 9, 2012

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The Raj bit had me tearing up with laughter, it's just so cringeworthy.

Whitefish
May 31, 2005

After the old god has been assassinated, I am ready to rule the waves.

Etherwind posted:

The rest are mostly forgettable? Glenn, Terri, Stuart? They're all amazing characters.

I'm wasn't sure what to make of the Lib Dems at first either, mostly because when I heard they were going to be included in the new series I expected them to be characterised as weak and pathetic Ben Swain-types. I was surprised by the outward aggression. But actually I'm glad they didn't just go for weak and pathetic-types for the Lib Dems because (1) that would be the obvious joke and (2) it would help to perpetuate the myth that Lib Dems aren't bastards.

Also I really liked the fact that there was a whole episode without Malcolm, because as great as he is as a character I thought the show was getting too focused on him at the end of the third series. So my impression was that they've done a good job so far of keeping the show fresh.

Mostly though I was just laughing a lot. I especially liked Phil and Emma's commentary on Glenn:

"Oh look, here comes Denis Norden."
"...and he's brought his laughter file."

FractionMan
Dec 24, 2003

Bringing back the balls to Rock

Found this in the Comic strip megathread in BSS. Thought it might be received well here.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

If the ending was supposed to dramatise the way Steve Hilton quit, I would assume that they're building up to the return of The Fucker which will in turn lead to the Levenson inquiry type storyline they have mentioned in the past.

Which is nice.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Gorn Myson posted:

If the ending was supposed to dramatise the way Steve Hilton quit, I would assume that they're building up to the return of The Fucker which will in turn lead to the Levenson inquiry type storyline they have mentioned in the past.

Which is nice.

I'm terrible at names, I misremembered the Fucker as being Malcolm's homunculus, Jamie MacDonald. In fact, I'm blanking on the Fucker entirely, so I need to rewatch series 3.
e: Also, if anyone wants to know more, that Bake Off cartoon ran in the Saturday Guardian, and is pretty consistently good stuff.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Sep 9, 2012

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, to those who watch TTOI religiously - I'm a bit lost as to who's who again, if I just watch Season 3 should that totally catch me up? Still enjoyed the opening episode regardless, just need a bit of clarification in places.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

One of the cast said there would be a swearing free episode, I'm guessing that would be the Leveson episode.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

Mr. Squishy posted:

I'm terrible at names, I misremembered the Fucker as being Malcolm's homunculus, Jamie MacDonald. In fact, I'm blanking on the Fucker entirely, so I need to rewatch series 3.
e: Also, if anyone wants to know more, that Bake Off cartoon ran in the Saturday Guardian, and is pretty consistently good stuff.

The Fucker is Cal Richards
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXh4T-ShaL0

Is it just me or is Glen's acting young spiel actually worse than his past attempts to be young?

lets go swimming fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 9, 2012

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

The pHo posted:

if I just watch Season 3 should that totally catch me up?

Yeah, that should be enough. Maybe the specials too, but Series 3 should be enough.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'm bored of this, I'm going for a Twix!

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

FractionMan posted:

Found this in the Comic strip megathread in BSS. Thought it might be received well here.

:swoon:

It's good to see the totally platonic love for Paul Hollywood is sweeping the nation. Or just the Guardian offices and my house, whatever.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
I wish I had an app that delivered Stuart a dead cat.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mickolution posted:

Yeah, that should be enough. Maybe the specials too, but Series 3 should be enough.

Cheers, might use it as an excuse to watch the specials too. When I watched them, I accidentally did it in the wrong order and confused the hell out of myself for the most part!

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

I did the exact same thing and I think I know why...

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

In case you missed Adam Buxton's Bug you can watch the music videos he created for the show on his Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLTJAZu70zo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXvsl8xgRxc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JMXVXnefBU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWowQub_jVU

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?

The pHo posted:

Cheers, might use it as an excuse to watch the specials too. When I watched them, I accidentally did it in the wrong order and confused the hell out of myself for the most part!

Are the specials in the same 'universe'. I mean, in that In The Loop isn't since the same actors have different characters. i.e. The Fucker is an MP etc. I only ask as the Night Editor of The Mail is an aide to the Lib Dem MP at DOSAC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

James R posted:

Are the specials in the same 'universe'. I mean, in that In The Loop isn't since the same actors have different characters. i.e. The Fucker is an MP etc. I only ask as the Night Editor of The Mail is an aide to the Lib Dem MP at DOSAC.

They are. Apparently he has made his way into politics since then according to a Guardian article.