Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

RiggenBlaque posted:

I just watched this video posted by Northern Brewer today, and the guy on that (who is hard to watch on camera) sweetens his up to about 1.002. He seems to know what he's doing, so that's probably what I'll wind up doing when apple season comes around.

His general method is pretty good. I would rehydrate the dry yeast and mix the nutrients with a little water before dumping them in.

The gravity reading can be a little misleading because the acidity and tannin level are going to affect how you perceive the sweetness. He isn't sweetening to a specific gravity, instead he sweetens the sample until it tastes "right" and then measures the gravity to know how much to add to the whole batch for the same taste. Doing it this way is easier than trying to precisely measure the volume of the sample and the amount of sweetener you add to it and trying to scale it up.

You may also want to adjust the acidity and tannin along with the sweetness. Depending on the apples used to make the cider you could end up with wildly varying amounts of each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
At the request of a friend who was upset to find that they don't sell Pliny the Elder at the grocery store, I'm going to make up a batch using the Zymurgy recipe that's widely available. The only real twist is that I'm going to use all whole leaf hops for the entire batch including dry hopping - I haven't really bothered with whole hops since they seem to cost more most of the time. Any tips?

My plan was to just use a bazooka style screen in the boil kettle to strain out the flowers - will this work or is it going to get plugged up?

enthe0s
Oct 24, 2010

In another few hours, the sun will rise!

Angry Grimace posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot about that :( Not that he can do anything about it now, but he'll know if it happens since he'll see bubbles in the airlock.

Yeah this has happened at least 3 times now so I guess it's infected.

Is it still worth it to go through with the rest of the process? And how can we prevent this in the future? Just clean our equipment more thoroughly?

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
I think it's worth waiting at least until the end of primary fermentation to see if or how bad it's infected.

Next time rig up a blow-off hose instead of the standard bubbling airlock.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

enthe0s posted:

Yeah this has happened at least 3 times now so I guess it's infected.

Is it still worth it to go through with the rest of the process? And how can we prevent this in the future? Just clean our equipment more thoroughly?

Ok I'm going to ruin the joke because I don't want you to throw it out. Saccharomyces is yeast (brewing yeast in this case). The bubbles are fermentation. It's almost certainly still fine.

It's entirely possible to ferment without even having a lid on the bucket so a couple hours or whatever without a stopper after fermentation has begun probably didn't do any damage.

Relax, have a homebrew or a good commercial beer since you probably don't have any homebrew yet.

Galler fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Sep 9, 2012

enthe0s
Oct 24, 2010

Galler posted:

Ok I'm going to ruin the joke because I don't want you to throw it out. Saccharomyces yeast (brewing yeast in this case). The bubbles are fermentation. It's almost certainly still fine.

It's entirely possible to ferment without even having a lid on the bucket so a couple hours or whatever without a stopper after fermentation has begun probably didn't do any damage.

Relax, have a homebrew or a good commercial beer since you probably don't have any homebrew yet.

Welp, we already threw it out. Whatever, it was going to be more trouble than it was worth if we were going to have to keep cleaning it up every 30 min anyways, so I'm glad we dumped it. There were a lot of things we felt like we didn't do properly the first time anyways (hell we even forgot to take the original gravity to make sure we had the right amount of water in the thing) so we can do it even better next time.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

enthe0s posted:

Welp, we already threw it out. Whatever, it was going to be more trouble than it was worth if we were going to have to keep cleaning it up every 30 min anyways, so I'm glad we dumped it. There were a lot of things we felt like we didn't do properly the first time anyways (hell we even forgot to take the original gravity to make sure we had the right amount of water in the thing) so we can do it even better next time.

Could I interest you in a bridge by any chance?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You don't need to worry about the original gravity. If you put the right amount of malt extract in the boil and ended up with five gallons in the fermenter then the OG should be right where it is supposed to be. Freaking out about OG is for all-grain brewing.

For future reference there are a million mistakes you can make that will still leave you with perfectly fine beer.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

enthe0s posted:

For the love of God please tell me you didn't actually throw it out.

mewse
May 2, 2006

My kingdom for a blowoff hose

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

enthe0s posted:

Welp, we already threw it out.
:aaa:

enthe0s posted:

Whatever, it was going to be more trouble than it was worth if we were going to have to keep cleaning it up every 30 min anyways, so I'm glad we dumped it.
:aaaaa:

Also, you wouldn't have been doing that every 30 minutes. If you've got a really active ferment, look into a blowoff hose, as advised.

enthe0s posted:

There were a lot of things we felt like we didn't do properly the first time anyways (hell we even forgot to take the original gravity to make sure we had the right amount of water in the thing)
I can't remember the last time I even bothered to check the gravity at that point. It is what it is, and the specific alcohol content is more trivia than anything.

enthe0s posted:

so we can do it even better next time.
Well that's the spirit I guess.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I really hope you didn't throw out your beer. :( My first ever homebrew exploded all over my kitchen walls, ceiling, floor and table, and 5 batches later is still (somehow) the best beer I've produced yet.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

You haven't truly brewed beer until you've cleaned it off the ceiling.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ubik posted:

This actually happened with my first brew ever, does that mean I was born to brew?

e: Or should I have just thrown it out? :ohdear:

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
Oh, gently caress, guys, don't torment the new brewers. That way lies the cliquishness of HBT.

eneth0s, I'm sorry you threw away your first batch. Reading the things you and everyone else posted, I'm sure it was fine and would have been beer when it was all said and done. I do admire your persistence and determination to try again, though.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Ubik posted:

Or a closet full of winter clothes. Or every crevice and cranny of a refrigerator.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, I'm bummed it went down that way. I hope I didn't contribute to the dump too much, I thought the sarcasm was pretty blatant. :(

I think the best real advice I would give is, "don't discount your beer until you've tasted it And maybe not even then. Unless it smells like rotted meat. And maybe not even then."

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

The story that always comes to mind for me is of someone who said one of their batches of beer tasted very strongly of bubble gum. They let it sit for a week and tried it again and it still tasted like bubble gum. A month later the same thing. A couple months later still bad. Then a year later they found a bottle in the back of a fridge at it was delicious.

Sometimes it just needs more time.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

I went ahead and posted that Ask/Tell thread I mentioned earlier. :) Feel free to pop in with any questions or comments you have!

Quick question: My brother-in-law gave me a bunch of unused malt from when he had my homebrewing equipment last year, and I'd like to use it but I'd like to avoid getting any stale flavors. All the grain is whole and unground, and has been kept sealed in plastic bags inside a plastic tub. I don't smell or taste anything off about the grain, from a few bags I've opened up and tried. Should I go ahead and use this stuff? If so, should I save it for more yeast/hop prominent beers?

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Ubik posted:

Quick question: My brother-in-law gave me a bunch of unused malt from when he had my homebrewing equipment last year, and I'd like to use it but I'd like to avoid getting any stale flavors. All the grain is whole and unground, and has been kept sealed in plastic bags inside a plastic tub. I don't smell or taste anything off about the grain, from a few bags I've opened up and tried. Should I go ahead and use this stuff? If so, should I save it for more yeast/hop prominent beers?

It's fine. I store my malt in a manner not to different from that - grain sacks, paper bags, or plastic garbage bags inside plastic shipping drums - with no noticeable change in flavor or aroma. Since I only really buy base malt once a year or so, and since it sits in sacks on some warehouse rack for god knows how long before I get it, I can't imagine your malt is any worse off than mine.

enthe0s
Oct 24, 2010

Yes, we really did throw it out. We're in a college dorm so we thought it best to not take any chances, especially when the empty wardrobe we're using to house the carboy in had yeasty wort all up the sides and ceiling.

It's really alright goons, all of us went in with the mentality of "this first batch is going to go wrong in some way, so let's just try and learn as much as possible and get a proper 2nd batch going."

We'll probably run out and get more ingredients and try again tomorrow in all honesty :D

Now for some questions:

1. When boiling for the hour after steeping the grains, there was a lot of "gunk" left on the sides of the pot after we added the hops and malt. Do we want to scrape that back into the water?

2. How long does it usually take to cool the wort? We set up our sink with cold water + ice to place the boiling pot into, but it still ended up taking a good bit of time (I want to say close to an hour, but it could have ranged from 30 min-1 hour).

3. Looking back, we didn't rehydrate the yeast before adding it. Is this really all that important?

4. Is there a better way to get the siphoning tube to start without having to suck on it? We had the carboy on the floor and the boiling pot in the sink so that's a good 3-4 foot height difference which is all that I thought would be necessary, but I guess not.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

1. Leave it on the sides

2. That's a reasonable amount of time when using an ice bath

3. It's a good idea but the majority of home brewers don't do it because the packet says you don't have to

4. Fill the tube 2/3rds full of water (sanitized preferably) and stick your finger (sanitized preferably) over the lower end of the tube. Put the upper end of the tube in the wort and release water into a glass or something. Plug it again when the tube is full of wort and stick the tube in the carboy. This might take a couple attempts to get the hang of but once you do it's pretty quick and easy.

Alternatively get an auto-siphon.

Galler fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Sep 9, 2012

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

enthe0s posted:

Yes, we really did throw it out. We're in a college dorm so we thought it best to not take any chances, especially when the empty wardrobe we're using to house the carboy in had yeasty wort all up the sides and ceiling.

4. Is there a better way to get the siphoning tube to start without having to suck on it? We had the carboy on the floor and the boiling pot in the sink so that's a good 3-4 foot height difference which is all that I thought would be necessary, but I guess not.

That really sucks man. Your brew was almost certainly still fine, and with that vigorous of a fermentation it would certainly have been beer at the end. Ah well, don't give up - keep on going!

as for (4), an auto-siphon is cheap and effective (like, under 15 bucks); that said, I just sucked on the hose the first couple brews I made and didn't get any bad results, but I'm sure they could happen. Cleanliness is key, and a person's mouth is anything but.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Galler posted:

The story that always comes to mind for me is of someone who said one of their batches of beer tasted very strongly of bubble gum. They let it sit for a week and tried it again and it still tasted like bubble gum. A month later the same thing. A couple months later still bad. Then a year later they found a bottle in the back of a fridge at it was delicious.

Sometimes it just needs more time.

Oxidation fixes all flaws (except oxidation).

I wonder if anyone's tried to make their beer taste like bubble gum on purpose. Like an IrnBru wine cooler.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Bubble gum is a feature of brettanomyces.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
To me, wheat beers almost always have a bubble-gummy tinge.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
A lot of traditional wheat yeasts produce bubblegum and banana flavors when you ferment on the hotter side.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

BlueGrot posted:

Bubble gum is a feature of brettanomyces.

Incorrect. Isoamyl acetate is primarily a product of weizen yeast, which gives it the banana/bubble gum flavor you so often find in wheat beers. Brettanomyces is responsible for more of the spicy, earthy and funky flavors you find in certain Belgian ales; it'll also put off some fruitiness, but definitely not in the "bubble gum" range.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

I stand corrected, I just remembered a Mikkeller Brett beer that tasted like sour candy, horse blanket and bubblegum. Maybe a yeast blend then?

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

enthe0s posted:

Now for some questions:

2. How long does it usually take to cool the wort? We set up our sink with cold water + ice to place the boiling pot into, but it still ended up taking a good bit of time (I want to say close to an hour, but it could have ranged from 30 min-1 hour).

3. Looking back, we didn't rehydrate the yeast before adding it. Is this really all that important?

You can cool the wort faster by gently stirring it without splashing. Also consider using drinking water bottles as make-shift ice packs. Freeze a bunch of them the night before brew day and swap them in as they thaw in the sink. Adding a good amount of salt to the water will also help it chill a little faster. Just don't add ice or frozen water bottles TO the wort.

Rehydrating is an easy enough thing to do but pitching at the right temp and temperature control during fermentation are more important.

And get a auto-siphon. I infected some of my early batches of cider with mouth bacteria back when I didn't know any better. The cost of the siphon is trivial compared to the cost of ingredients you could waste due to infection, not to mention the time spent making a batch and the peace of mind not worrying about it.

Xiuhteuctli
Nov 15, 2006
I will teabag you to death.
I had a quick question that might be related to the wheat beer question.

I brewed a Brewer's Best Brown Ale kit...and it tastes awfully banana-y. I kept the fermentation temp below 70, so I don't understand why I have these weird fruity flavors.

Any ideas?

P.S. you guys were right about my last beer--bottle conditioning made it awesome (as long as you don't pour any of the sediment in the glass!)

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Cpt.Wacky posted:

You can cool the wort faster by gently stirring it without splashing.

Splash the poo poo out of your wortwhile cooling, it doesn't matter since you haven't added the yeast yet. In fact it helps since you're aerating it.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Xiuhteuctli posted:

I brewed a Brewer's Best Brown Ale kit...and it tastes awfully banana-y. I kept the fermentation temp below 70, so I don't understand why I have these weird fruity flavors.

How are you monitoring the fermentation temperature? You might be getting off readings.

I know when using hefeweizen yeast you want to keep the fermentation no higher than 62-64 as they produce TONS of banana, but any American/English yeast that would have come with a Brown Ale kit should ferment reasonably clean all the way up to 68.

Basically my guess is that the actual fermenting beer wasn't quite as cold as you thought - learn to compensate for whatever errors are in your measurement and try to keep the beer a few degrees cooler next time.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I think this might be the best thread to ask this question:

There is a six pack of cider I brewed years ago that I found among my stuff that I took from storage. They were bottled on January 26th, 2005 and I can't remember if I pasteurized them or not.

What would I be tasting if I opened one up? ie, would it have turned into vinegar by now or not.
Should I even bother cracking one open?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Only one way to find out.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

bobthedinosaur posted:

Should I even bother cracking one open?

Yes of course you should.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Yea, count me as another for the taste and see crowd. Nothing should be growing in it that will make you sick/dead, it's one of the awesome features of fermented drinks.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Can't have turned to vinegar unless some souring bacteria got in there. And hey, if it has turned to vinegar, that won't hurt you any, and now you are a maker of artisanal aged cider vinegar.

It may be (and likely is) past its peak, oxidized, stale, etc., but it certainly won't kill you.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
What does it mean when my og reading is supposed to be 1.052 and I'm getting around 1.035'ish? I haven't pitched yet, in case that matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

LaserWash posted:

What does it mean when my og reading is supposed to be 1.052 and I'm getting around 1.035'ish? I haven't pitched yet, in case that matters.

If you used extract, it probably means it wasn't mixed up enough with the top off water.