Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fingerling
Mar 7, 2010
Thought I'd just touch base. I've been feeling quite good lately, a little stiff, but pretty much how I felt prior to the accident, only a little bit stiffer in the spinal region. I think this is a good sign, and it's something I've been focusing on, as it gets depressing sitting around all day.

I spent the day in hospital on my 20th :sigh: , then the next day I was supposed to spend another day there, too. I sure got out of that! X-rays at 8 AM, up at 6 after going to bed at 4. I passed out while they were taking spinal X-rays,and woke to around 6 people looking down concerned at me.. quite embarrassing - I was one of the people that makes everyone late!

I had a giant egg, and around an inch cut on it, nothing too serious. They kept me for around 2 hours running blood tests and keeping an eye on my levels etc. I did only have to spend half the day there, though. Score!

I've been thinking a little bit about my modes of transport, and I'm not totally sure I'll actually be able to stomach riding at the moment. I'd love, absolutely LOVE to be able to feel the freedom again, though. I understand that it's still very early in my accident, but it's kind of a sobering thought for me considering I've always thought I'd spend my life on a bike..

Physio as yet, has been relatively useless, unfortunately. It's just a bunch of massages, as he isn't sure what he's allowed to do with my spine (saw the spinal doctor, my scoliosis has only increased by around a degree, thank God) without damaging it. Having said that, it does feel freaking good, and I have been given some stretches which seem to help my stiffness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
When the physio's massages stop feeling good is when they start working.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Not exactly a crash, but my buddy's girlfriend fell off the back of his CBR today. He hadn't ridden in a while and she wanted to go for a ride, so we went out, I was leading, pulled away from a stoplight and look back and he's not following and people are running everywhere. He wasn't goosing it or anything, and she's ridden fine before, so the whole thing is a bit of a mystery. The lady in the car behind her said her feet came off the pegs and then she slid off the back, her shoe and shin have marks that look like she might have hit the tire, so the best guess we have is that her leg slipped and hit the wheel and knocked her off balance. Came off at maybe 20 MPH, made a superman pose, landed on her head and left arm, tucked and rolled off the road. Only bike gear was a full-face Scorpion, which did the job and was mildly scratched up. Other than that she got some mild road rash and bruises, a trip in the ambulance to get her head checked, and both rider and passenger got a good scare.

I had just given them an ATGATT spiel right before we had ridden out and gotten blown off. What injuries she did sustain pretty obviously would've been prevented by proper gear. So while it obviously would've been better to, you know, -not- just randomly fall off the bike, good news is I think it convinced both of them to gear up properly before taking a ride.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Wow, hope your buddy isn't planning on ever living that down/getting laid any time soon.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Snowdens Secret posted:

Not exactly a crash, but my buddy's girlfriend fell off the back of his CBR today.

So, the people behind him could read it?

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Fantastic. All my fives.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

No Get.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Jabs posted:

No Get.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
The doc at the hospital made that same joke

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Snowdens Secret posted:

The doc at the hospital made that same joke

What, not the donorcycle joke? The docs love that one.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I got the whole "donorcycle" speech from an EMT while riding with him to the ER with my ex...who got a concussion from falling during a roller derby game.
I don't even know how or if he knew I rode bikes but that didn't stop the conversation. Oh no, nothing like 15 minutes of stories of road rash and mushy bags of people leaking all over their stretchers. Awesome I tell you.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
People only die from motorcycle crashes. Everything else is a liberal myth.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
Taking orders for a print of a shirt that says "IF YOU CAN READ THIS, ITS BECAUSE IM GOONY AND CANT FIND WOMEN TO RIDE WITH ME"

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

invision posted:

Taking orders for a print of a shirt that says "IF YOU CAN READ THIS, ITS BECAUSE IM GOONY AND CANT FIND WOMEN TO RIDE WITH ME"

I just got my license and where I am, I can't have a passenger my first year anyways :negative:

I'm sort of ambivalent about it. I did a day of two-up riding with my little sister a few years ago (taking a city scooter down dirt roads in Cambodia, even) and it was fine and barely noticeable above parking lot speeds. But if something happened to a passenger while I was riding, I'd be absolutely gutted. I've got a spare helmet and basic mesh jacket, but I'd be hesitant to let anyone on the back of my bike without a decent set of riding gear, which I can't see anyone buying just for the honor of being my passenger.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

invision posted:

That would be an awesome shirt, but who would be able to read it through the jacket?

ATGATT - :colbert:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Tamir Lenk posted:

That would be an awesome shirt, but who would be able to read it through the jacket?

ATGATT - :colbert:

"If you can read this, my leathers were cut away by the EMTs?"

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

^^^^ I like it.

"If you can read this, thank you for your service as an EMT.

My blood type is:
Next of Kin contact info:
Please cremate"

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

"If you can read thi- :siren: SQUID ALERT :siren: "

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

"If you can read this, you can read" :geno:

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
"If you can read this then I just want you to know that those were $4000 dollar custom tailored Dainese leathers you just cut with your stupid scissors, rear end in a top hat. Shoulda just let me die. Ugh."

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

"If you can read this, please create an account on SomethingAwful and tell them what I did this time.
Love,
MootMoot"

It's a niche market, though.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

invision posted:

"If you can read this then I just want you to know that those were $4000 dollar custom tailored Dainese leathers you just cut with your stupid scissors, rear end in a top hat. Shoulda just let me die. Ugh."

I figure if you're riding with that on the street, you've got cash to blow.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

invision posted:

Whatever, insurance will cover it.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Had my first spill today. Usually after work I'll hoon around the industrial park a bit because it's near abandoned and there are some fun little streets. I came up on this 90º left turn I wasn't so familar with, a little too quickly - saw some sand-sized gravel on my half of the road mid-corner and target fixated the gently caress out of it. Hit the sand, started to slide, then target fixated the curb, locked up the rear tire, hit the curb and dumped it at probably 25 km/h.

I landed on grass but the bike smashed my outer right shin into the curb hard, and it hurts like a bastard. It hasn't swelled up much nor changed any funny colours but there is a visible indentation from where it hit the curb. I'm guessing the pain will spread up and down my leg and tomorrow I'll hardly be able to walk. :toot:

Have this lovely picture of my broken brake lever I took once I got home!

I managed to putter from the wreck site to the bike shop in about 5 minutes and picked up a new brake lever, then went home and installed it. No other damage except scuffed plastic.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Nice shorty lever bro!

Haha glad it wasn't too bad. ice that ankle!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Also, grab a cheap cane if you can. You probably bruised the bone, and it's gonna hurt like a motherfucker for a day or two. Ibuprofen will make the swelling go down, but at the same time it slows bone healing. I recommend Tylenol.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

I should be able to stay off my feet well enough at work.

Yeah, right. Going to be a lovely few days

Took a couple of Ibuprofen, now for some recuperative Game of Thrones :black101:

stevobob fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Aug 30, 2012

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I posted earlier in the gear thread about a friend of mine that refuses to wear only an icon vest and nikes when he rides. Well he crashed, probably wheelying and broke his leg and got rashed up.

The comments are gold, not having to do with gear, but anyway.

:nws: for road rash, it's not terrible though
http://i.imgur.com/wDs5L.png

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
I am a new rider and just finished reading this entire thread. This thread should be required reading after the MSF. :)

Fingerling, please keep us posted on how you're doing. That was a scary post but I'm glad you are up and around. You can't keep a good goon down!

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

A mate of mine high-sided yesterday evening on his Hyosung 250;

Only gear was his helmet which was an Rjays, and held up really well, I'll get a picture of it when I see it next;

He was doing about 80 - 90km/h and hit a bump while he was scratching his chin, got a tank slapper and went up and over.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
Please tell me that he's reconsidering the gear thing after that. :geno:

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

An observer posted:

Please tell me that he's reconsidering the gear thing after that. :geno:

He has all the gear, just doesn't use it unless he's going a long distance. I hope he'll start wearing it more often now, but I'm not going to hold my breath :/

e: especially since he's upgrading to a chipped Fireblade. :S

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Until I saw the car, I was sure the plate on the bike said OLD

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Update!

One week from my little spill and my leg still aches like gently caress if I try to twist on it. It seems to be getting better though!

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
That Hyosung looks dismally cheap.

For some more content:
Dropped one of my SV's yesterday for the first time, in my storage unit basement complex. Misjudged the placement of my sidestand when I tried to settle it down. Broke off the knob of my clutch lever and this crap CRG mini bar-end mirror which was an useless complement to my Tuono mirrors. Everything else's dandy thanks to Motosliders. I got a painful bump on my right lower leg, though, from smacking it somewhere. Instantly ordered a pair of eBay CNC adjustable levers.

the walkin dude fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Sep 6, 2012

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

the walkin dude posted:

That Hyosung looks dismally cheap.

For some more content:
Dropped one of my SV's yesterday for the first time, in my storage unit basement complex. Misjudged the placement of my sidestand when I tried to settle it down. Broke off the knob of my clutch lever and this crap CRG mini bar-end mirror which was an useless complement to my Tuono mirrors. Everything else's dandy thanks to Motosliders. I got a painful bump on my right lower leg, though, from smacking it somewhere. Instantly ordered a pair of eBay CNC adjustable levers.

They are a fairly cheap bike, I've ridden it and it feels pretty crappy and cheap even compared to my '90 ZZR250.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Shimrod posted:

A mate of mine high-sided yesterday evening on his Hyosung 250;

Only gear was his helmet which was an Rjays, and held up really well, I'll get a picture of it when I see it next;

That is going to loving hurt so bad for months.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

front wing flexing posted:

That is going to loving hurt so bad for months.

Make sure to get a picture of his sadface the first time he wears pants and the scab rips off when he takes them off.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Haha, ill try. I don't forsee any sadfaces any time soon with the drugs they've got him on. Dudes been living in the clouds since he got back from hospital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Watched a moped with 2 people on it rearrange the rear quarter of a Suburban about 20 minutes ago. Ugh, that crunch of glass and steel made my leg hurt all over again. Slow down, LA!

E; To make this a little less depressing, we went to see our friend in the hospital who I posted about several weeks ago. He was out in the courtyard with a few other friends when we got there, playing some Scrabble and generally looking a thousand times better than when we first saw him in the ICU 7 weeks ago. Lots of memory loss and confusion/frustration to go along with it, but he's hanging in there He's beginning to actually comprehend that he has memory loss, which was tough.

Just a couple weeks ago there were interspersed strings of rambling nonsense words mixed in with perfectly coherent sentences in his conversation, none of that today (though still some aphasia/word replacement, but he caught it a few times). All of his casts are off, which is great. He's still in a wheelchair, and will be moving to an outpatient physical therapy location tomorrow. While he's still not at 100%, he's made huge strides and it was really amazing to see him outside and alert today. :unsmith:

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Sep 10, 2012

• Locked thread