Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
1 weird old friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.
follow this 1 weird old friend to lose money in microtransactions in under a week!

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
where are the buttons

lol someone else pledged $10,000 within the last few days

presumably Ian Franklin McLean himself

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”

mods namechange posted:

where are the buttons

lol someone else pledged $10,000 within the last few days

presumably Ian Franklin McLean himself

gotta prime the pump you see

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord
but it's still showing 0 backers for the five exclamation marks pledge tier!!!!!

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
holy poo poo that video is embarrassing

ive gotten booted out of angel meetings with way more coherent pitches than that

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Dr. Honked posted:

xposted from gaming thrad.. a new android games handheld

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playmg/mg-first-portable-gaming-system-for-the-android-ma?ref=live

UNLIMITED FREEMIUM APPS

COSTS THE SAME AS A 3DS

no, no its not a phone

touchscreen gaming

~~~the future~~~

also 'yeah its september and we have no units, but we expect to make a big splash for christmas'

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
Seems pretty funny that dumb spergs have decided android is the future of gaming. Guess its way easier to say you are using android than to actually design a platform catered to your device and usecase.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Dr. Honked posted:

but who will fix the crisis that's happening on his head

for serius

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Ronald Raiden posted:

Seems pretty funny that dumb spergs have decided android is the future of gaming. Guess its way easier to say you are using android than to actually design a platform catered to your device and usecase.

but that would take ~effort~

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

just a butt posted:

but that would take ~effort~

I don't think the effort is the problem, they just aren't smart enough to do it

if it were that easy there wouldn't only be one good handheld (well there are 0 really, but i guess if i had to pick on its nds > psp)

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Sparta posted:

guys only a week left to fund this guys sorta idea for making a website of tabels

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1630905008/statpediacom?ref=category

he jus tneeds a third of a million dolles

hooooly moley this is hilarious

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

it's like level 2 of the stripe ctf

http://statpedia.com/staging/week-17/index.php/image/

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Sweeper posted:

I don't think the effort is the problem, they just aren't smart enough to do it

if it were that easy there wouldn't only be one good handheld (well there are 0 really, but i guess if i had to pick on its nds > psp)

by effort i mean hiring programmers and designers who actually know what they're doing as opposed to gullible college grads from a diploma mill

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

To be honest, we are primarily concerned with creating a beautiful product. If we can create a valuable tool that the world uses on a regular basis, then we have done our job at Statpedia. We may consider marketing to users in different ways, but those ways may be two years before we make decisions on how to advertise. If you are interested in advertising on our website please contact sales@statpedia.com to discuss your thoughts. We are here to make people happy, if we can figure out how to do advertisements in a way that makes people happy, then that is good.

CaptainMeatpants
Jun 1, 2010

statpedia is like the most ill-informed, confused MBA project idea i've ever seen

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
*camera zooms in on CFOs starbucks cup*

cleanhands
Jun 9, 2010

My opinions, though not completely awful are expressed in a tiresome and needlessly aggressive way. Please help me to chill out.

Jonny 290 posted:

expect companies to cargo-cult 'trade dress' a lot in the next 6 months as they just heard that term and it is an apple thing so they're really excited about what the future holds :downs:

trade dress is an established term in ip law, i assume it came from product design to begin with hth

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

so.
statpedia is a combo of some of the loving worst fucklord shithead cms systems devised, web 2.0 AJAX YAY, and "microsoft metro"

I think.

It all hinges on whether "stat" now means "statistic" or "a complete article of content"

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

lol

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord
lol at the favicon

Resplendent Spiral posted:

It all hinges on whether "stat" now means "statistic" or "a complete article of content"
probably boring stuff like which team won the 1923 sportsball world championship with how many points

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

ohhh poo poo.

so this thing is actually for posting about a single data point in obsessive detail

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

So Wikipedia then

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

No more like

*This is frame 3,753 of simpsons episode 12 in season 4, as you can see the coloring has a very brief shift in tint and

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

No more like

*This is frame 3,753 of simpsons episode 12 in season 4, as you can see the coloring has a very brief shift in tint and

Finally a website that suits my needs

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

No more like

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

So Wikipedia then

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Sparta posted:

guys only a week left to fund this guys sorta idea for making a website of tabels

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1630905008/statpediacom?ref=category

he jus tneeds a third of a million dolles

wtf is this lol

hrm yase
http://statpedia.com/staging/week-1...3Cfoo%20bar=%22

pram
Jun 10, 2001

lol

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

Also you can rate stats as 'unlear'

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

Also you can rate stats as 'unlear'

lear

unlear

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything
I will fix that unlear typo.

Really trying to make this cool stat system. It isn't ready yet, but it will get there.

Search is up and running now: statpedia.com/staging/week-20

We are also working on doing some autofeed stuff for data from places like worldbank.org

By no means is statpedia ready, but it will get there.

CaptainMeatpants posted:

statpedia is like the most ill-informed, confused MBA project idea i've ever seen

Any words of wisdom are more than welcome. Just trying my best here. I will most likely post this thing back up on kickstarter with a lower minimum, and a better pitch video.

Anyways, thanks for all the input guys. :)

Ian McLean fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Sep 9, 2012

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Ian McLean posted:

I will fix that unlear typo.

Really trying to make this cool stat system. It isn't ready yet, but it will get there.

Search is up and running now: statpedia.com/staging/week-20

We are also working on doing some autofeed stuff for data from places like worldbank.org

By no means is statpedia ready, but it will get there.

Any words of wisdom are more than welcome. Just trying my best here. I will most likely post this thing back up on kickstarter with a lower minimum, and a better pitch video.

Welcome to the thread good sir! I watched your video and read your kickstarter info and I'm still not really sure what statpedia is supposed to be used for. Can you give an example of what someone would be able to do with this project once it's up and running? You might want to address this in your next video in order to improve your chances of funding. Other ways to improve your chances of funding on kickstarter: have your project have something to do with My Little Pony and/or Android video gaming. Maybe statpedai can provide stats related to these things?

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

Ian McLean posted:

:tipshat:

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything
Thanks. :)

What is this project supposed to do is create a collaborative system to upload stats.

Lets say... store some data to the nodes I create called time, person, and location for the Stat "Population".

Then lets say someone else comes in and creates a title called "Crime Rates", and all these nodes match up correctly.

So... if I have a place where anything can be uploaded to these nodes, then I believe one day, it will really show a lot of insightful information.

Lets say a user comes to the site and types in "Population of Russia and China" into the search engine. It should be able to dynamically generate a chart like this: "http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=population+of+russia+and+china"

I believe there are limitations on wolfram's ability to achieve the scale that a stat system can be with the entire world as collaborators.

We have some standard data formats going to be accepted in the pipeline. I really just wanted to start out the system as simple as possible, so that even a kid can come along and create a table.

I feel like there is no stat search engine on the internet. Wolfram is good, but still limited in my opinion. When I go to Wolfram and type "babe ruth RBI", I should be able to see a chart dynamically generate of his RBI over time.

I think this is also one of those projects where just seeing how it grows over time will also lead to new directions.

If people want to enter stats about ponies, that is fine too. :)

Statpedia allows stats for everything and anything. Please don't upload random photos!

A lot of times when I do google searches, I only see a bunch of links, and I find that looking up stats on the internet can be difficult.

If this project can be a place were people go as a default place to look up stats, that is the main objective.

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord
someone plz engage in some monetized bullying on ian franklin mclean tia

edit: ian how do we know it's really you. can you post a photo of you holding a sign saying "YOSPOS BITHC!" thanks in advance

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

mods namechange posted:

someone plz engage in some monetized bullying on ian franklin mclean tia

Ian McLean more like Peein' McMean

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

I think if we tried we could probably get Ian McLean (the business guy), Keith Burgun (the ideas guy), and that Losethos guy together.

Hand crafted games about stats, written in assembly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Ian McLean posted:

Thanks. :)

What is this project supposed to do is create a collaborative system to upload stats.

Lets say... store some data to the nodes I create called time, person, and location for the Stat "Population".

Then lets say someone else comes in and creates a title called "Crime Rates", and all these nodes match up correctly.

So... if I have a place where anything can be uploaded to these nodes, then I believe one day, it will really show a lot of insightful information.

Lets say a user comes to the site and types in "Population of Russia and China" into the search engine. It should be able to dynamically generate a chart like this: "http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=population+of+russia+and+china"

I believe there are limitations on wolfram's ability to achieve the scale that a stat system can be with the entire world as collaborators.

We have some standard data formats going to be accepted in the pipeline. I really just wanted to start out the system as simple as possible, so that even a kid can come along and create a table.

I feel like there is no stat search engine on the internet. Wolfram is good, but still limited in my opinion. When I go to Wolfram and type "babe ruth RBI", I should be able to see a chart dynamically generate of his RBI over time.

I think this is also one of those projects where just seeing how it grows over time will also lead to new directions.

If people want to enter stats about ponies, that is fine too. :)

Statpedia allows stats for everything and anything. Please don't upload random photos!

A lot of times when I do google searches, I only see a bunch of links, and I find that looking up stats on the internet can be difficult.

If this project can be a place were people go as a default place to look up stats, that is the main objective.

You could probably get more people to pay you if you have, like, "sponsored stats" that you could buy as an investor reward. Like maybe I pay you $10 and you put up a stat saying Dixie Cretin Seaman was ranked #1 world's greatest lover and then I just tweet the link to that stat and wait for the bitchez to come knocking down my door all hungry to ride my dilz.

• Locked thread