Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

^^^ Like this, but its your mouth, and shit comes out of it.

"edit: Oh neat, babby's first avatar. Kind of a convoluted metaphor but eh..."

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.
Can someone toss me a good recipe for a dark grey tone? I am doing a test model for pre-heresy Word Bearers and I don't want to do black armor because unless you are an amazing painter it usually looks like poo poo, and there are already way to many chapters with black armor anyways.

I'm thinking a warmer dark grey, like maybe mix in a touch of snakebite leather or something? But I'm not sure which grey to start with as a base since the only one I've ever used is codex grey and that's too light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Start with P3's Thornwood Green or GW's Skavenblight Dinge for an easy dark grey.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Anybody got any particularly good tips/techniques/tutorials for using brass etch? This model I'm working on has got a ton of fiddly detail bits made of the stuff, many of which are supposed to attach using little surface area. Super glue does not seem to be cutting it.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Never worked with it myself, but the one tip I do know is to use regular clear tape to apply the brass etch. Take the piece of tape, put the brass piece on face down on the sticky side, put glue on the brass piece, and use the tape to position the brass piece properly.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Huh. That makes pretty good sense. Won't work for a few of these, but I can see that saving me a lot of hassle, thanks.

D. Eisenhower
Oct 31, 2011

Bavius posted:

Cross posting!

Almost done with these Wulfen. I could put some more effort into cleaning up some of the details, but there are just so many fiddly strings and talons. I like how they turned out though. The Chaos bits aren't terribly obvious like I thought they would be.

I was super surprised how the skin turned out.

GW's guide to painting skin actually helped me out alot.

What colour was used for the armor? By the look of it it looks like GW shadow grey, which I use as a base for my tau, and I'm going to run dry soon. I'm using a pot from 2004. If there's a vallejo equivalent I'd rather use that.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Fix posted:

Anybody got any particularly good tips/techniques/tutorials for using brass etch? This model I'm working on has got a ton of fiddly detail bits made of the stuff, many of which are supposed to attach using little surface area. Super glue does not seem to be cutting it.

There's a link to a nice tutorial somewhere in my post history in this thread, lemme find that and edit it in here.

Come to think I'm pretty sure MSP provided it, heh.

That was fast, here you go:

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Not sure if this is going to help, but I've heard this video is good for alleviating brass etch issues:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojYb-gHQGo0

Thanks dude. I muddled though this time but I'll definitely try that technique out for my Land Raider.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
The VGC equivalent is Sombre Grey.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
~crossposte~ since I finally got around to decent shots of Calandra

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Fyrbrand posted:

There's a link to a nice tutorial somewhere in my post history in this thread, lemme find that and edit it in here.

I'd have assumed that q-tips on superglue would be a no-no, but that's probably my fault for using quick dry gel stuff.

This is becoming the most fun I've had putting together a model for a long while. All the various fins and poles stuck on there are magnetized for transport, and there's still a ton of random poo poo to go.

Twistershift
Feb 7, 2007

Fyrbrand posted:

~awesome~
Man, I gotta get some trolls. My buddy is interested in playing, his first choice was Khador, but that's what I chose. I offered to buy a starter army for him to try out, and if he likes it he may buy them from me. He's letting me choose, and I'm leaning trolls. They look like a hoot to paint, is this a good army for him to start with? My circle of friends will combined have 15pt. Khador, Cryx, Menoth, and (one more) armies.

Edit: Also, any advice to fill out a 15pt. troll army if I do go for it?

Twistershift fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Sep 8, 2012

FiendishThingy
Sep 7, 2003

Fix posted:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ParaGrafixModeling?feature=watch

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Fix posted:

I'd have assumed that q-tips on superglue would be a no-no, but that's probably my fault for using quick dry gel stuff.

It is a no-no. I panicked and used a cotton baby wipe that was sitting nearby when I squirted too much glue on a piece and it gave me a nasty burn virtually instantly.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.
I'm looking for something that I can use for 28mm cammo netting. I tried dying some bandage gauze, but the gauze didn't really have enough definition, as the strands don't really stay together.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
Anyone know where I can get some (chaos?)guard heads and some lasguns? I would need a set of 50...

I bought some of the Mantic Coorporation guys for my IG allies but they only have 3 head varriations for the most part and they are a little lame. Also their guns are really thin, I don't think they're heroic scale weapons.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Anyone know where I can get some (chaos?)guard heads and some lasguns? I would need a set of 50...

I bought some of the Mantic Coorporation guys for my IG allies but they only have 3 head varriations for the most part and they are a little lame. Also their guns are really thin, I don't think they're heroic scale weapons.

Maxmini, Scibor, Kromlech and Pig Iron are your best options. Maxmini does straight up cultist heads, Kromlech and Scibor do a variety and Pig Iron does a wide variety of different types of Guard heads.

FiendishThingy
Sep 7, 2003

Cyclomatic posted:

I'm looking for something that I can use for 28mm cammo netting. I tried dying some bandage gauze, but the gauze didn't really have enough definition, as the strands don't really stay together.

How about this

You could also try cheesecloth, it would probably be better than gauze.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

So I made a thing.

It's going on a city fight type board. It's supposed to be an unearthed/really old eldar thing.

I was going for broken asphalt with dirt underneath.

Also it was pretty easy to make!

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Looks cool, but for as clean as it is it looks like it fell out of space, rather than having been dug up.

What's it made of?

Refind Chaos
Sep 16, 2007

King of 'tisms mountain

Fix posted:

I use an old dead brush, that isn't much good for anything else, to clean up excess super glue. It's only good for a couple of mistakes per brush, but well in this hobby dead brushes tend to be fairly plentiful, if you've been painting more than 6 months, in my experience.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Fix posted:

Looks cool, but for as clean as it is it looks like it fell out of space, rather than having been dug up.

What's it made of?

It's just a thin piece of plywood cut out on a band saw. The gems are made from drops of epoxy.

The base has Styrofoam in the middle with a bunch of rocks and sand out of my backyard glued to the back of a CD.

It is a little too clean. I've never weathered anything before. I might pick up some weathering powders next time i get a chance and give those a try.

Pickled Foetus
Jan 20, 2009

Removed the stupid-looking topknot and replaced it with a hood.

Improvement?

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Pickled Foetus posted:

Removed the stupid-looking topknot and replaced it with a hood.

Improvement?

Definitely. Also, get rid of those mould lines.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

"...It's a poo poo business really."

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
Whoo I sold my screamers for £35 and have been commissioned to paint some more sets! Also went onto CMON with a 7.2. I'm so chuffed. It's impossible to find a job where I live with the course I'm doing so being able to make some money off something I'd be doing anyway is great. It's not much but it feels good after months of hopeless student-job hunting!

Having someone look at something you've done and say 'yeah I'll pay money for that' is amazing. And the guy I painted tanks for previously bought me some scenery as a thank you :3

Keep posting more awesome stuff in this thread folks - I've still be painting from the pot and drawing on giant blob eyes if this thread didn't exist.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Semi cross post from the 40K thread.

I have finally finished my wraiths, although I haven't based them as one thing that stood out from people's thoughts of my last lot is how the models look great but the bases not so great. So I'm considering ideas to give them nice bases to really complement the model.
Incidentally the mould line on the tails aren't that obvious in person and I'm terrible at getting rid of them anyway, so as it runs down the entire length I left it there.

Obligatory posed image.

Apologies for the overexposure but the sun was really starting to shine in.

This is the current total of my painted infantry.

This is the current total of my painted vehicles. Although the greebles on the top of the Ghost Ark ribs will be painted depending on if I get a second ark or not.

Not pictured is my original Monolith as it looks terrible and is awaiting a repaint. I just have 5 incomplete warriors to finish when I get the parts, 12 scarab bases and Imotekh to paint, and another Night Scythe to assemble and paint. drat this hobby.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Dude don't drat the hobby, you're absolutely killing it.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
Alright - finished painting a few models after the big GT at my local store. It inspired me to finish some poo poo.

I'm feeling really inspired to get my space men painted now - I hope that sticks with me.

e: Also - I know snoopy here has a black nose, :dealwithit:.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Any suggestions for a mini suitable for use as a female dragonborn in D&D? All I've turned up is this one by reaper: http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/half%20dragon/sku-down/03403

This would need extensive conversion, as the character wields a halberd, the head does not wow me from the pictures on reaper's site, and I think the player wants a tail.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Myopic
Mar 27, 2005

It is only logical to bang one's head
I thought I'd paint something for the first time in a long while, but when I did a quick inventory 99% of my Games Workshop flip-top paints that aren't inks or washes are solid blocks. Most of them aren't more than a few years old. :mad: No problems with any Vallejo paints, or even the old hexagonal Cote d'Arms paints that I bought in 1995 :rolleyes:

So I need to buy a load of new paints, but gently caress GW (also I see they've changed their entire range and I'm confused). What's good from who nowadays? Do VGC/VMC paints still separate easily? Do their metallics still suck?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Myopic posted:

I thought I'd paint something for the first time in a long while, but when I did a quick inventory 99% of my Games Workshop flip-top paints that aren't inks or washes are solid blocks. Most of them aren't more than a few years old. :mad: No problems with any Vallejo paints, or even the old hexagonal Cote d'Arms paints that I bought in 1995 :rolleyes:

So I need to buy a load of new paints, but gently caress GW (also I see they've changed their entire range and I'm confused). What's good from who nowadays? Do VGC/VMC paints still separate easily? Do their metallics still suck?

I'm switching over to mostly VGC, and the separation issues are most noticeable with older yellows and bright reds from what I have seen. Their metallics aren't bad, but I've mainly been using them for drybrushing layers so I may be getting false positives.

C-C-C-CUNT
Jun 16, 2005

SHOOTING OUT MY WARRIOR JUICE

Myopic posted:

I've had to throw away every VGC I've ever bought as its separated and formed a big lump of pigment in the pot that doesn't break up, every loving time, the VMC and the airbrush paints are a hell of a lot nicer, I'd stick with them if you're determined not to use citadel but I think their new paint range is really really good.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
What is the difference between the Vallejo Game and Model ranges? From what I've seen the Model range has tons of colors and with the Game range they try to match the Citadel paints.

Also, for long-term storage, does shaking the bottles every now and then help? Or even turning the bottles every now and then?

Myopic
Mar 27, 2005

It is only logical to bang one's head

Fearless posted:

I'm switching over to mostly VGC, and the separation issues are most noticeable with older yellows and bright reds from what I have seen. Their metallics aren't bad, but I've mainly been using them for drybrushing layers so I may be getting false positives.

Yeah, they drybrush fine in my experience, but the metallic particle size is massive in comparison to other manufacturers which makes them really lumpy when painted on. Thinning them doesn't change anything.

That's the case with the ones I have at least. It's been a long while simce I bought any, they may have changed.

C-C-C-oval office posted:

I've had to throw away every VGC I've ever bought as its separated and formed a big lump of pigment in the pot that doesn't break up, every loving time, the VMC and the airbrush paints are a hell of a lot nicer, I'd stick with them if you're determined not to use citadel but I think their new paint range is really really good.

Strange, mine are still fine. No way am I replacing every single colour I lost with more GW paints that'll just dry out somewhere down the line, but are there any that are absolutely unmissable? Like say a red with awesome coverage compared to every other manufacturer or something. Are their metallics still awesome?

krushgroove posted:

What is the difference between the Vallejo Game and Model ranges? From what I've seen the Model range has tons of colors and with the Game range they try to match the Citadel paints.

VMC are more muted usually - i.e. there are tons of drab greens and greys for painting historical kits. Also they seem more fragile when they're on the model, but nothing varnish can't fix. Dunno if there are any other differences.

quote:

Also, for long-term storage, does shaking the bottles every now and then help? Or even turning the bottles every now and then?

Quite probably. I'm pretty sure some of these pots lasted longer than this while they were in active use, but I just sort of forgot about them.

How are P3 paints? Any other brands people can recommend? And does anyone know where I can get my hands on some of that Liquitex acrylic spray paint people were talking about earlier (UK resident here)? poo poo looks awesome. Oh, and a decent, cheap white spray primer, if such a beast exists.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

krushgroove posted:

VGC uses a tougher resin so it'll stand up better to repeated handling. The trade-off is that it has a satin-y sheen to it, where VMC has proper matte colors and a much larger range of colors available. VGC also dries faster than VMC.

For storage of VMC paints at least, I would store them upright and have a handful of those long wooden coffee stirrers ready for when I was going to paint again. You can pop off the dripper and coffee stirrers are the perfect size for the bottles.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Anyone know any good tutorials on doing those Infinity Tron-style recessed lights, like the lines/sockets in weapons and armor?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
^^^ try looking for an object source lighting tutorial? I think there's at least one in the OP, someone posted a bunch of tutorial links just recently also.

Thanks for the info on the VGC/VMC, I've been curious about them since I got back into painting. I'm all about Vallejo but have been really impressed with the Citadel base paints too - and I'd told myself I wouldn't be touching any paints from the GW store!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

krushgroove posted:

^^^ try looking for an object source lighting tutorial? I think there's at least one in the OP, someone posted a bunch of tutorial links just recently also.
There's a bunch of these but I don't want to learn OSL but rather how to make the details themselves look good, painting the whole "lighting inside" stuff kinda turns my painting sequence inside out. How do you paint a recessed detail that's way lighter than the rest of the model, without getting the main armor color all over it, or messing up the armor if you paint it later?

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax
P3 paints are good and have some really interesting colours. Are they a massive step up from GW paints? I would say not. Everyones best bet is just to get a variety of different paints from different manufacturers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Pierzak posted:

There's a bunch of these but I don't want to learn OSL but rather how to make the details themselves look good, painting the whole "lighting inside" stuff kinda turns my painting sequence inside out. How do you paint a recessed detail that's way lighter than the rest of the model, without getting the main armor color all over it, or messing up the armor if you paint it later?
So, what, you want a sort of lighting effect on the section/eye/panel but not reflecting onto the rest of the miniature?

• Locked thread