Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

OnimaruXLR posted:

The fact that that vinegar flavored sack of cocks from Team B got selected is concrete proof that a scoring-based selection is a fundamental failure in every way imaginable and I hope that rear end in a top hat dies from painful cosmic radiation poisoning <:mad:>

For sure! You would think that they would take team dynamic and likeability into their scoring system. Surely no one would want to spend extended periods of time locked in a box with a gigantic douche who constantly puts down other members of the team.

I didn't really like the reveal that the selection by the teams did actually matter in the end, but I guess it's an interesting twist when everyone was assuming they wouldn't matter. I also liked the contrast of luck and genuine accomplishment that they gave Mutta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Pretty sure we're going to find out that guy wasn't selected. They have no real reason to stick with the candidate's choices if they don't want to. Also, this doesn't seem to be the kind of show to do fake-out foreshadowing. We were told that Mutta, Serika, and Makabe from practically day one.

Also, Appo is still the best dog.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

paragon1 posted:

Pretty sure we're going to find out that guy wasn't selected. They have no real reason to stick with the candidate's choices if they don't want to. Also, this doesn't seem to be the kind of show to do fake-out foreshadowing. We were told that Mutta, Serika, and Makabe from practically day one.

Wow, I hadn't considered that at all! You're totally right, I just assumed from Nitta and Serika getting invitations. I really hope it's the case!

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

You're right. I keep assuming that for some strange reason JAXA stuck with the selections the teams worked out. That made no sense what-so-ever. The entire reason behind that activity should be to see how the teams respond and how they interact with such a requirement. I can't imagine that they'd actually accept the members chosen.

Hence, I was totally baffled by the apparent fact that the teams selected by the various means each team chose was the actual choices. You're right, they actually haven't shown us who all the chosen memebers really are. They're just letting us see what they characters have assumed to be true -- hence what we assume also.

Apo can tell time? That's some crazy smart dog. Ugly, but smart. My dogs are pretty and stupid.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Also, this week we finally got a Space Photo that was actually taken in space. Took them 22 episodes, but they got it right in the end.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Himuro posted:

I apologize for the double post.

The latest episode was really good. Not much happened, again, and they built up the results of the exams...again, but I still really liked it. I got a lot of closure from Fukuda's story, especially.

Also: Rocky 12?!

I want to believe that this is some Rocky sequel where his brain is transplanted into a kangaroo so he can fight a gorilla, possibly because Stallone is too old, too tired, or too dead to play the part anymore.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Dan7el posted:

You're right. I keep assuming that for some strange reason JAXA stuck with the selections the teams worked out. That made no sense what-so-ever. The entire reason behind that activity should be to see how the teams respond and how they interact with such a requirement. I can't imagine that they'd actually accept the members chosen.

Nah, I bet they'll respect their choices. The guy was unpleasant but he did want it and according to the group consensus, he *did* get in. He was portrayed as unpleasant, but he passed the test.

Taking it for granted that the trio's gonna stick together, it's far more likely IMO that the guy who's been acting hesitant the whole time (what's his name?) is gonna back out. That's my prediction, anyway.

Doctor w-rw-rw- fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Sep 3, 2012

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I gotta disagree with you there. Yeah, he "won". He was also constantly divisive, put people down, kept everyone on edge, and put himself ahead of everyone else. This is not a man you want to put in a spacecraft.

Saying, "well he just wanted it more" doesn't mean much either. The show went out of its way to demonstrate that everyone there was highly driven and capable. I doubt absolutely anyone could get that far on a lark.

Put all that on top of their method of selection being highly flawed. The test givers thought so little of it that they ordered one of the team members to erase all of the scores. Group A rejected that method as being unfair because everyone would try to game the system (how else would a guy like Makabe get ranked dead last?).

It's possible he really did get in, but I find it highly unlikely. It just wouldn't make any real sense.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Besides, the participants have already gone through all the tests in a controlled environment during the first part of the selection process, the examiners have all that data, and selected the participants for the co-habitation phase based on that. Which means that everyone was already good enough for them in regards to these tests, and doing better means nothing.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Precisely, the last test was all about how the candidates functioned as team members in a spaceship like environment while under constant stress and high pressure to succeed.

Morgenthau
Aug 28, 2007
Circumstances have gone beyond my control.

Rexides posted:

Also, this week we finally got a Space Photo that was actually taken in space. Took them 22 episodes, but they got it right in the end.

With Hibito suitably just as excited too!

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

paragon1 posted:

I gotta disagree with you there. Yeah, he "won". He was also constantly divisive, put people down, kept everyone on edge, and put himself ahead of everyone else. This is not a man you want to put in a spacecraft.

Saying, "well he just wanted it more" doesn't mean much either. The show went out of its way to demonstrate that everyone there was highly driven and capable. I doubt absolutely anyone could get that far on a lark.

Put all that on top of their method of selection being highly flawed. The test givers thought so little of it that they ordered one of the team members to erase all of the scores. Group A rejected that method as being unfair because everyone would try to game the system (how else would a guy like Makabe get ranked dead last?).

It's possible he really did get in, but I find it highly unlikely. It just wouldn't make any real sense.

No, it would make perfect sense. He was in there for two weeks, and the focus on the story wasn't on him. I bet he was cooperative enough to be functional but competitive and unpleasant specifically towards Kenji. Trouble is, that's all we saw.

And to some degree I think that they'd respect the wishes of the astronauts, as they have to value their input or they're basically saying their judgment isn't valued, which makes even less sense, because they're freaking astronauts, and their decisions in space could mean the difference between life and death. I don't think that they were making a judgment on method, I think they were stirring poo poo up by deleting the scores to see how they would adjust to the situation, but not criticizing the method specifically. They were very hands-off with the green cards, so why change that for a scoring system instead of learning from how it played out?

paragon1 posted:

Precisely, the last test was all about how the candidates functioned as team members in a spaceship like environment while under constant stress and high pressure to succeed.

By that metric only Mutta's team was successful and they should have dismissed the other teams. Except that would be a ridiculous waste of resources. If he was good enough to be chosen, then he should proceed to the next level of testing. Unfair as it might be looking at it from the angle of likability and personality, even testers can miss something and if the rules they set up led to him being chosen, it only makes sense for them to admit him to the next phase of testing.

:colbert: Just you watch. There's no way it won't play out this way.

Doctor w-rw-rw- fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 3, 2012

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I guess we'll find out. I think I'll keep arguing with you anyway though. :colbert:

They aren't astronauts yet. And "it would be incredibly inefficient" doesn't make sense either. They're already only choosing a little over half the candidates by only taking eight people. Choosing 5 instead of 6 or 8 wouldn't be massive difference. Also, I didn't say that they should be judging on a team by team basis, your putting words in my mouth.

I said that they wouldn't choose Mr. Assface because he's a terrible team player and leader. We know that pretty much unequivocally from what we did see of him. Makabe, on the other hand, tried to pull everyone together all the time and put the task at hand first. Mission control knows this because of the 24 hour surveillance. We also know that they miss basically nothing, and are used to watching people.

So why the hell would they select a guy they know is awful? Because that's what his team members decided? Is that what they're going to tell the news and their superiors when the guy fucks up? I don't think so. The group recommendations may carry some weight, but there is no way in hell that an accountable government organization is going to let them have the final say when the stakes are that high.

And lastly, do you really think they're going to have the guy acting substantially different when he's off camera? loving really? This isn't a mystery show. The writers aren't trying to trick us. There's no reason to believe that his behavior didn't match up exactly with what we saw.

I am passionate about Future Anime Plot apparently.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

paragon1 posted:

I guess we'll find out. I think I'll keep arguing with you anyway though. :colbert:

They aren't astronauts yet. And "it would be incredibly inefficient" doesn't make sense either. They're already only choosing a little over half the candidates by only taking eight people. Choosing 5 instead of 6 or 8 wouldn't be massive difference. Also, I didn't say that they should be judging on a team by team basis, your putting words in my mouth.

I said that they wouldn't choose Mr. Assface because he's a terrible team player and leader. We know that pretty much unequivocally from what we did see of him. Makabe, on the other hand, tried to pull everyone together all the time and put the task at hand first. Mission control knows this because of the 24 hour surveillance. We also know that they miss basically nothing, and are used to watching people.

So why the hell would they select a guy they know is awful? Because that's what his team members decided? Is that what they're going to tell the news and their superiors when the guy fucks up? I don't think so. The group recommendations may carry some weight, but there is no way in hell that an accountable government organization is going to let them have the final say when the stakes are that high.

And lastly, do you really think they're going to have the guy acting substantially different when he's off camera? loving really? This isn't a mystery show. The writers aren't trying to trick us. There's no reason to believe that his behavior didn't match up exactly with what we saw.

I am passionate about Future Anime Plot apparently.

But if he got the highest scores, he didn't gently caress up according to the goals the group set. Just because the pick two winners thing ruined the team dynamic doesn't mean that he would be a perfectly functional astronaut outside of some arbitrary competition they threw into the mix. I don't think the writers are trying to trick us either, but I don't at all think that booting the jerk out is what they're trying to tell us. We were shown that he's unpleasant but not that he's unfit. You're rooting for him not to be picked, but I don't think that's what they were setting him up for. Besides, there would be no drama if the rest of the team that was picked were all buddy-buddy. If you want to speculate as to where the writers are leading us, why wouldn't they leave assface in?

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Does anyone else feel like they're watching Hunter x Hunter and Gon (Hunter x Hunter Spoiler as well as Space Brother's Spoiler): just passed the Hunter Exam? At this point, we're about to start the real part of the how?

I feel like we've been watching this show for 22 episodes and it's really just now getting started. I really hope it goes for a long time.

If Kenji doesn't end up an astronaut, then I strongly suspect he'll end up working at JAXA in some other role -- mission control or support or something.

Could be his family situation (having a wife and child) made a difference. I do not know of any real-life situation where that has ever been a factor, but it could be....

The military doesn't really take that into account. If you have nineteen kids and a pregnant wife, and the military needs you to do a "remote" in South Korea, you go to South Korea.

I don't know about NASA in real-life. Historically (longest time spent in space) seems that nations have sent married guys up for well over a year.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

But if he got the highest scores, he didn't gently caress up according to the goals the group set. Just because the pick two winners thing ruined the team dynamic doesn't mean that he would be a perfectly functional astronaut outside of some arbitrary competition they threw into the mix. I don't think the writers are trying to trick us either, but I don't at all think that booting the jerk out is what they're trying to tell us. We were shown that he's unpleasant but not that he's unfit. You're rooting for him not to be picked, but I don't think that's what they were setting him up for. Besides, there would be no drama if the rest of the team that was picked were all buddy-buddy. If you want to speculate as to where the writers are leading us, why wouldn't they leave assface in?

JAXA doesn't give a poo poo about the scores they gave each other. If they did care, they wouldn't have had a team member erase them. I think that people going to the moon and/or Mars is dramatic enough on its own. And there's all kind of potential conflict that could occur between the characters in the meantime.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

paragon1 posted:

JAXA doesn't give a poo poo about the scores they gave each other. If they did care, they wouldn't have had a team member erase them. I think that people going to the moon and/or Mars is dramatic enough on its own. And there's all kind of potential conflict that could occur between the characters in the meantime.

:colbert: Whatever. As long as I get to gloat if it turns out I'm right. :P

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
They've been hinting that the "final decision" is up to the real astronauts, so the 8 people being sent to Houston isn't entirely important.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm amazed with this show. I emotionally reacted more strongly with Mutta getting accepted than I did getting into Computer Science at University, something I spent 2 years working towards to get the prereqs and my GPA high enough.

This show deserves every bit of praise.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
New episode up.

Kenji made it! :3:

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
This is the most inspirational anime in years.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
All i have to say is :smug:. See 09:25. Totally called it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mutta's hat hair was the best.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

All i have to say is :smug:. See 09:25. Totally called it.

I was still right. :smug: We both were.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I watched the live action movie (it was part of the movie selection on a flight I took yesterday for business and I couldn't resist).

It's a really good movie, even though it's quite different from the anime and manga, even story-wise. If you can find it, I recommend giving it a watch.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer
I'm more excited for this show now that it's passing the point where the other astronaut mangas I read got cancelled. I can wait to see Mutta become an astronaut without a timeskip. I can't help but worry that Hibito's rocket will blow up and then it'll be *5 years later*. Please don't be that awful and cliche, space bros.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I would really love to see the live-action movie as well. Maybe, based off the popularity of the anime, we'll be able to get a licensed subtitled version in the near future? One can hope?

I think the show is building up the issue with Azuma being angry with Hibito and in reality he'll be completely professional and totally non-judgemental when he interviews Mutta.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yeah Mutta, America is a nation of grass alright. :420:

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
I'm curious as to what mountains they were driving past going towards the Johnson Space Center in Houston.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

GlassEye-Boy posted:

I'm curious as to what mountains they were driving past going towards the Johnson Space Center in Houston.

In 2015 the core of the Earth begins to erupt, causing mountain chains to spring up all over the world, even nowhere near tectonic plates. This is the story of Mutta and Hibito, Japanese astronaut-hopefuls who seek to pioneer mans transition to living in space to avoid the inevitable mountainous ruin of Earth. This is...Space Bros

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

GlassEye-Boy posted:

I was more annoyed that the lawnmower didn't sound as though it had its blade powered/engaged.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
In the future, the technology behind stealth helicopters will become more widely applied to other areas.

Such as lawnmower blades.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer

paragon1 posted:

In the future, the technology behind stealth helicopters will become more widely applied to other areas.

Such as lawnmower blades.
They've also made great advancements in safety, such that you can let a small dog ride along on the mower. I had to make both of these assumptions to keep from having my immersion ruined. I didn't notice the mountains, but Vincent already explained that satisfactorily.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Amstrad posted:

I was more annoyed that the lawnmower didn't sound as though it had its blade powered/engaged.

I thought this is because he(the guy or lady responsible for sound) had never seen or heard that type of lawnmower operated. My knowledge of Japan largely comes from Video Games and Maru, but I was under the impression that owning land was something reserved for the wealthy or people way out in the countryside, and what land people owned was relatively small. That lawnmower is a professional mower. They're like $5,000 at the low end. I didn't think he had ever seen one because I honestly doubt they exist outside of extreme circumstances in Japan, if what i'm lead to believe is true.

Vincent Valentine fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Sep 17, 2012

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
They have the internet Vincent. I'm sure he could find an audio file of one somewhere if he looked. Or just used a regular lawnmower sound. Or just held a weed whacker near a microphone. Audio engineers are creative people.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

paragon1 posted:

They have the internet Vincent. I'm sure he could find an audio file of one somewhere if he looked. Or just used a regular lawnmower sound. Or just held a weed whacker near a microphone. Audio engineers are creative people.

Who are probably also not paid enough and consistently under extreme time pressure. This ain't Hollywood. I'd have to say that the anime's research probably wasn't focused on lawnmowers, so it gets a pass. And I've got to say, I didn't even notice, because I live in a city, too. :v:

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

paragon1 posted:

Well, he probably did that, and got a sound of a lawnmower without the blades powered on, and thought that that's how lawnmowers sound all the time, seriously, what's with the mawerchat all of a sudden?

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Rexides posted:

seriously, what's with the mawerchat all of a sudden?

It was a pretty boring episode v:shobon:v

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
The sound they used was probably from a small motorbike or a go-cart or something of that nature (you could hear forward gearing, mowers have hydraulic transmissions). Also that whats his face gave Hibito goggles instead of hearing protectors... At least they got one part right: that type of mower is actually pretty fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psiwri
Mar 8, 2012

"The Foecast today calls for dark clouds, booming thunder and F.O.E.s everywhere!"
Hell yeah it is, I used to operate one when I was a kid around the farm.

• Locked thread