Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

TildeATH posted:

Ah, yes, moral victories...

Glorious victories for Bhutan!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Arcturas posted:

Why not shoot the Cyclops? I'm really confused what the downside is to shooting it if you don't have any other viable targets, and don't need the heat for something else. OH NOES LESS SALVAGE, sure, but on the other hand, this is battletech. The odds that it stands up, unjams the AC/20, and kills everyone aren't all that bad...
The number of reasons not to shoot a fallen Clan mech with an unconscious pilot and a jammed UAC20 are many and varied. The wall of text would be boring.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

PoptartsNinja posted:

“Quiet, Steve!”

Mechwarrior Steve for Opfor MVP.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I think, we might want to blow the plant before we start losing mechs unrecoverably.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

AtomikKrab posted:

I think, we might want to blow the plant before we start losing mechs unrecoverably.

A little late for that. The over-under on Goonmechs a-sploding next turn is three and a half.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

TildeATH posted:

A little late for that. The over-under on Goonmechs a-sploding next turn is three and a half.

Well No where would you get that from? The Atlas can evade the enemy mechs fire pretty easily.

Well that is if the Atlas will listen to advice.

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Sep 10, 2012

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Poptartsninja posted:

he paused as the Annihilator’s autocannons let loose with a rippling roar. Miranda bit her lip in concern as the Atlas weathered the full brunt of the Annihilator’s assault, the massive `Mech standing firm like an oak in a rainstorm—until a slug caught it square in the cheek. The back of its great domed head ruptured, belching smoke and flame. It staggered like a drunkard and for an instant before its slab-like foot shifted to arrest its fall, Miranda feared the worst.

PTN, I just want to say I love reading your battle fiction, and eagerly await your Battlecorps stories.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
You guys aren't allowed to kill Mechwarrior Steve, just FYI.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Mechwarrior Steve for ilKhan 2012 3033.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

GruntyThrst posted:

Mechwarrior Steve for ilKhan 2012 3033.

Mechwarrior Steve will first have to best Khan Grier Siedman in a battle to the death. Do you think Steve is a bad enough dude to kill Grier Siedman? I certainly do not think so.

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010
Ouch, rough turn for the Flashman. Missing basically everything on fives is a :sadpanda:

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

landcollector posted:

Mechwarrior Steve will first have to best Khan Grier Siedman in a battle to the death. Do you think Steve is a bad enough dude to kill Grier Siedman? I certainly do not think so.

He has the power of playful antagonism, that's pretty much as good as it gets plot-armor wise.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Also why did our raven shoot the cyclops? I thought he was alpha striking the pillager.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Taerkar posted:

PTN, did the Pillager fall (as in prone)? If it did shouldn't it have taken 30 damage?

weight (100)/10 x2 (height 4-2=2) = 20

VV Oh yeah, height+1. Forgot about that.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Sep 10, 2012

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

weight (100)/10 x2 (height 4-2=2) = 20

But a 0 hex high fall would still have done 10 damage to it.

TW is (number of hexes fallen +1)*(Weight in tons/10) damage in 5 point clusters

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Sep 10, 2012

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I couldn't help but notice the mediums had terrible move mods (0s and 1s) which is why they got carved to pieces this turn.

It's not always easy with terrain everywhere, but movement is life if you're in a Po. Cannot be giving clan heavies and assaults +0 and +1 move mods against you.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Ptn your map has broken. (or at least the link in the update)

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Ouch, the Atlas got savaged. It's MRMs are basically useless now, right? Those cluster rounds found the exact place where they could do the most damage... At least it survived a Head hit, though the Sensors and Life Support being hit will make things a lot more difficult for the pilot, though it shouldn't hurt too bad, given the pilot's amazing stats. How many hits each can those two systems each take before they're destroyed entirely? Also, I assume that getting hit in the sensors imparts some shooting penalties? Losing Life Support would definitely be very bad, though I'm not exactly sure how bad...

The Raven taking a hit in the engine seems pretty bad as well. Really seems like the GoonCompany of Death Commandos is taking all this punishment without dealing a commensurate amount.

Guess the Phoenix Hawk's Death from Above didn't do as much as I expected it to. Sure, decent damage against the Pillager, but it didn't deal a knockout blow like I expected it would. Got shot up pretty badly by missiles as it completed the maneuver, but at least the TAG missed, otherwise I would have expected a lot more damage to it.

Let's see how GoonCompany plays this now...

EDIT: /\/\/\/\/\ Seems to be working ok for me...

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

AtomikKrab posted:

Ptn your map has broken. (or at least the link in the update)

It's working fine for me.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

GhostStalker posted:

Ouch, the Atlas got savaged. It's MRMs are basically useless now, right? Those cluster rounds found the exact place where they could do the most damage... At least it survived a Head hit, though the Sensors and Life Support being hit will make things a lot more difficult for the pilot, though it shouldn't hurt too bad, given the pilot's amazing stats. How many hits each can those two systems each take before they're destroyed entirely? Also, I assume that getting hit in the sensors imparts some shooting penalties? Losing Life Support would definitely be very bad, though I'm not exactly sure how bad...

The Raven taking a hit in the engine seems pretty bad as well. Really seems like the GoonCompany of Death Commandos is taking all this punishment without dealing a commensurate amount.

Guess the Phoenix Hawk's Death from Above didn't do as much as I expected it to. Sure, decent damage against the Pillager, but it didn't deal a knockout blow like I expected it would. Got shot up pretty badly by missiles as it completed the maneuver, but at least the TAG missed, otherwise I would have expected a lot more damage to it.

Let's see how GoonCompany plays this now...

EDIT: /\/\/\/\/\ Seems to be working ok for me...

It did 44 damage to the pillager. Thats really a lot.

I think the thread should input on if we end the mission this turn (and try to take out the pillager for salvaging) with the trucks.

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Sep 10, 2012

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!
I'm not clear on why I suffered a critical? There was no critical chance listed when I got shot at. (Y7 Raven)

Edit: Nevermind, missed the Pillager shot at me.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

AtomikKrab posted:

It did 44 damage to the pillager. Thats really a lot.

Adding it all up, I guess it was a lot and the Pillager really did take a beating this turn. 15 damage from the DfA, 30 from the fall afterwards, 44 from MRM shots, 15 from a Gauss courtesy of the Atlas, 10 from a pair of Medium Lasers, and 4 from some random Flamer action. That's 118 total damage to the Pillager, and all of that was absorbed by Armor. I guess I was expecting something to break through the armor there and get a crit or something to take the mech out or at least damage it badly. Guess I was hoping for too much when it comes to taking out a Clan Assault like that...

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

AtomikKrab posted:

I think the thread should input on if we end the mission this turn (and try to take out the pillager for salvaging) with the trucks.

Does the mission magically end if the plants go up, or will you still have to withdraw off the battle map? You guys are pretty fully committed to the fight and PTN has maneuvered J4 behind you to cut off your retreat, so trying to walk back off the map looks likely to end in disaster.

Also you probably wouldn't get salvage in either case.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Voyager I posted:

Does the mission magically end if the plants go up, or will you still have to withdraw off the battle map? You guys are pretty fully committed to the fight and PTN has maneuvered J4 behind you to cut off your retreat, so trying to walk back off the map looks likely to end in disaster.

Also you probably wouldn't get salvage in either case.

The Clanners have to withdraw, since we will have won. (or it all loving explodes or something but we win)

118 is over a 3rd of the maximum armor a 100 tonner can have. and 9 of that is in the head where it won't be touched and another 30 or so in the back so closer to half its armor is gone, this turn if we continue to focus it will get penetrated and hurt.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Voyager I posted:

Does the mission magically end if the plants go up, or will you still have to withdraw off the battle map?

It's PTN. Do you really think it's going to just magically end like that if we blow it all up? Even if we do choose the easy way out, the battle could still very easily go either way.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Rorac posted:

It's PTN. Do you really think it's going to just magically end like that if we blow it all up? Even if we do choose the easy way out, the battle could still very easily go either way.

That is my point. I would not expect that to be the case, and given the current position of most of Goon Company it doesn't look like attempting a withdrawl is something that could be accomplished without significant losses. Most of them are within a few hexes of the enemy on the far side of the board. They couldn't be much more committed. There's nothing wrong with committing to a fight, of course; it just means there's no easy way out of it unless popping the plants triggers the MISSION ACCOMPLISHED screen. Hell, even from a roleplay perspective, the enemy commander is already foaming at the mouth for their blood. I doubt he's in the mood to honorably withdraw and leave his fallen comrades on the field as salvage after conceding a technical victory or some such clanner malarkey.

If there was a way to disable the plant and get out to preserve our forces (most of the heavy hitters are significantly damaged and some will need heavy repairs, but nobody has gotten wrecked yet), it would absolutely be worth considering at this point. We stand to lose as much or more as the enemy, and I'm not sure attrition is a winning strategy for the campaign overall. However, the fight isn't unwinnable, so if we can't get out, we might as well keep slugging.

The Atlas really need to get away from the Annihilator and those Salamanders, though. You've got a naked face and those things roll waaay too many hit locations for your good health.

Of course, AtomikKrab seems to think otherwise, and given that he's actually part of the mission it's entirely possible that he knows something I don't.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Sep 10, 2012

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Voyager I posted:

That is my point. I would not expect that to be the case, and given the current position of most of Goon Company it doesn't look like attempting a withdrawl is something that could be accomplished without significant losses,. Most of them are within a few hexes of the enemy on the far side of the board. They couldn't be much more committed of they tried. There's nothing wrong with committing to a fight, of course; it just means there's no easy way out of it unless popping the plants triggers the MISSION ACCOMPLISHED screen. Hell, even from a roleplay perspective, the enemy commander is already foaming at the mouth for their blood. I doubt he's in the mood to honorably withdraw and leave his fallen comrades on the field as salvage after conceding a technical victory or some such clanner malarkey.

Of course, AtomikKrab seems to think otherwise, and given that he's actually part of the mission it's entirely possible that he knows something I don't.

He can froth all he wants but his team is cooler headed than him and anyway he is responsible, if we blow the plant he will have lost and effectively they will drag him away screaming insults at us (and we hunt him down and kill him later like when get gets his STONE RHINO) Again, We won't be the ones forced to withdraw is the mission objective is complete, the clans will.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Crockett pilot here. Another underwhelming turn for me, but I'm still looking pretty solid on the armor front, if not on heat. Should I keep chasing/firing at that damnable, hopping exterminator? I'm obviously being led away from the real fight, but I'm not eager to abandon the Archer to a certain death, either.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

AtomikKrab posted:

He can froth all he wants but his team is cooler headed than him and anyway he is responsible, if we blow the plant he will have lost and effectively they will drag him away screaming insults at us (and we hunt him down and kill him later like when get gets his STONE RHINO) Again, We won't be the ones forced to withdraw is the mission objective is complete, the clans will.

Are you assuming that your objectives for victory are the same as the clanner's objectives for defeat? Because I wouldn't make decisions based on that unless PTN had told me so (which, for you, he admittedly may have).

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

While we've run into plenty of surprises throughout the campaign's run, "The victory objective won't actually end the scenario" hasn't been one of them.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I think this is the first campaign where I have been really really worried about gooncompany and their chances at surivival. I think we still have this mission. It'll be hard fought though. I really really do not want Terrence Williams to die since he is pretty awesome.

edit; Also why didn't the Banshee fire his PPC at the Annihilator?

Affi fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Sep 10, 2012

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

T.G. Xarbala posted:

While we've run into plenty of surprises throughout the campaign's run, "The victory objective won't actually end the scenario" hasn't been one of them.

That's not what I'm saying. Mission victory is totally possible here, nobody can deny that. Mission survival is another thing entirely, and I don't see it inherently connected to victory in this case.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
As a player in this mission, my inclination is to fight on. We got a bonus for doing so in the last mission, and upholding that as a benchmark is reasonable. You do not engage three clan assaults and walk away unscathed, we've already crippled one and taken the pillager to single digits on its side torsos. This scenario is eminently winnable. We will take losses doing so.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

T.G. Xarbala posted:

True, but this is also the first mission where anything that might happen after the victory objective could matter (the last mission would have been one, except the objective we used was to destroy all opposition).

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Sep 10, 2012

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Affi posted:

edit; Also why didn't the Banshee fire his PPC at the Annihilator?

I needed to cool down a little.

For example:
Gains 13 heat, sinks 22!

PPC is another 15 heat, which would be gains 28, more than I was able to dissipate that round.

Chronojam fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Sep 10, 2012

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Voyager I posted:

True, but this is also the first mission where anything that might happen after the victory objective could matter (the last mission would have been one, except the objective we used was to destroy all opposition).

Maybe, but PTN has been pretty fair all around. He's not likely to pull "You completed the missions successfully! Oh, and then Clanners murdered you all." on us.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Chronojam posted:

I needed to cool down a little.

For example:
Gains 13 heat, sinks 22!

PPC is another 15 heat, which would be gains 28, more than I was able to dissipate that round.

Oh. Yeah totally thought the Banshee could fire all day for some reason.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I think GoonCompany can fight on and succeed - but it will hurt. So the choice to be made here is "will the benefits of capturing, not destroying, the geothermal plants outweigh the cost of doing so?"

I couldn't speak to the mechanics of it, the cost/benefit analysis of 'Mech repair and damage and salvage; there are others far better versed in the rules than I to make that assessment.

But I do have a fluffy argument to make: namely, GoonCompany is a group of disgraced Death Commandos who are fighting for a second chance at honor. You don't regain your honor by taking the easy way to victory. You regain it by going above and beyond the proverbial call. You do it by doing the things others would find unthinkable (like stepping on orphanages) or impossible (like capturing, rather than destroying, power plants).

I say that a stain on the Company's honor can only be erased by going above and beyond. Go for the bonus objective. Go for every bonus objective.

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I say that a stain on the Company's honor can only be erased by going above and beyond. Go for the bonus objective. Go for every bonus objective.

On the other hand, partial victory is better than complete failure. I don't think anyone has delusions of taking and holding this planet at this time with this force. Not for very long, anyways. We should focus on crippling the Clan resistance, stealing as much of their crap as we can carry, and gtfo'ing. That means we should blow the plant with the trucks and withdraw to preserve our forces as possible.

On the other hand, 'rescuing' those LBX ACs would be quite a coup for the CC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Affi posted:

Oh. Yeah totally thought the Banshee could fire all day for some reason.

Well, in your defense, clan mechs that are actually able to overheat used to be pretty rare.

• Locked thread