Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
I started my new schedule this week! I get both Sundays and Mondays off. Having real weekends is such a dream, and I don't feel like my life is loving trapped by this place anymore.

I also like that I get to watch people in other jobs whine on Facebook about Mondays. It was super irritating to see whining about a regular job when I'd check Facebook on my phone while working at the call center, but since I have Mondays off now, it doesn't bother me as much.

legsarerequired fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Aug 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~
Today, one of the head QA's came up to me and asked if I was coming in next Monday (next weekend is a long weekend in Canada). She seemed shocked at how confused I was, because we NEVER got that choice when working on the floor. She thought/expected that we were given the choice and it was all quite odd.

That said, I love being a QA so far. Except this week will suck. They gave us a list of people whose stats were "in the red" and want us to concentrate on them, this week.

Not surprising, most of them are first wave people who are stuck in their ways. Sigh.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
:stare:

Wow, it wasn't just corporate wank, it was an actual frank and adult discussion about stereotypes, biases, prejudice and gender inequality.

Also, color me stunned, but the phrase "white male privilege" was actually present in the literature, even if it wasn't touch upon much in the group activities afterward.

Also, the only bit I did to try and make the meeting uncomfortable was point out that the video presentation waffled on homosexuality, whether it was a genetic characteristic or a choice (even a quiz after said both answers were right), however, the internal literature we got afterwards, painted it very clearly as a genetic choice (yay my company).

I asked her specifically what Progressive believes based on the video waffling, and what we had in the pictograph, and they had to bust out a big corporate binder and give me the wink-nod answer, so basically yes their stance is genetic as evidenced by the handout, but, we're here to talk about diverse opinions and how to include them, even when they don't agree with what we think personally, etc.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

If you ever get to experience the 8 hour manager version of that class, prepare to feel the most uncomfortable you have ever been.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Yeah, one of the managers mentioned having to do the prejudice/bias activity by walking around the room and placing dots next to your biases/thoughts instead of just circling the dots on a paper anonymously.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

They had around 8 different groups in my class - Hispanics, White Males, Asians, Obese People, Over 50, etc.

People come up with statements that they feel society as a whole believes is true for each of those particular groups. For example, white males had stuff such as "honky, entitled, good ol' boy's club" etc. Asians had "bad drivers, family oriented, keeps to themselves" while obese people had "burden to society, healthcare nightmare, rascal scooter" up there. Everyone puts dots to one side if they feel that society in general holds those beliefs.

Then you have to go up and put dots on the particular statements you agree with.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Someone remind me what "morale" in the workplace is, because we have none of it.

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated
Hahah! The reason my long ACW/call avoidance has gone unnoticed is because our management can't figure out how to do reports on the "new" phone system. Yeah, the phone system that's been in place for 6 months now. The phone system they stopped rolling out after a quarter of the company got it and complained night-and-loving-day about it.

It's hilarious, even the managers are on our side at this festering shitpit. My boss told me he is unable to monitor calls live anymore (they can only go over recordings+screencaps after the fact, and we never get QAd on anything shorter than 5 minutes). Oh, and! My softphone comes with a handset, and it is literally impossible to distinguish between a hang-up and an unintentional disconnect. *snicker* So, I've been hanging up on assholes and transferring assholes into oblivion and hanging out in ACW ever since, with zero ramifications. Needless to say, my job satisfaction is very high.

A first writeup for call avoidance, incidentally, is not a term-able offense. I'm sure they'll figure out the reports eventually, but I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing until I get called on it.

ZeroDays
Feb 11, 2007

the fuck you know about what i need on my mind mother fucker

martyrdumb posted:

Hahah! The reason my long ACW/call avoidance has gone unnoticed is because our management can't figure out how to do reports on the "new" phone system. Yeah, the phone system that's been in place for 6 months now. The phone system they stopped rolling out after a quarter of the company got it and complained night-and-loving-day about it.

It's hilarious, even the managers are on our side at this festering shitpit. My boss told me he is unable to monitor calls live anymore (they can only go over recordings+screencaps after the fact, and we never get QAd on anything shorter than 5 minutes). Oh, and! My softphone comes with a handset, and it is literally impossible to distinguish between a hang-up and an unintentional disconnect. *snicker* So, I've been hanging up on assholes and transferring assholes into oblivion and hanging out in ACW ever since, with zero ramifications. Needless to say, my job satisfaction is very high.

A first writeup for call avoidance, incidentally, is not a term-able offense. I'm sure they'll figure out the reports eventually, but I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing until I get called on it.

This reminds me of way back when I worked for a credit card company, there was some kind of system fuckery with generating stat reports, and word swept through the call-centre like wildfire until every non-jobsworth was doing basically the kind of stuff you described. This lasted just over a week, with people chilling in ACW, taking a few minutes extra for breaks, basically putting their feet up. Then, all of a sudden, oh look, retroactive stat reports. Heads on spikes. I was particularly bad as I was late almost every one of the "lost" days (took a later train for an extra half hour in bed which got me in 5-10 mins late).

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

martyrdumb posted:

My job they didn't have those kind of problems but still no one ever noticed over the course of however months until I quit because none of the monitoring was automated. :cheers:

I mean it's really amazing to me how much they squeeze squeeze squeeze at costs but no one thinks that like, maybe having a guy stare at a console and send out an IM when someone is on aftercall for more than 30 seconds isn't a good use of their money, instead of automating that task

CUMGUARD
Nov 22, 2004

Aw, hell no! What's up, dog?
So here's a hosed up story...

My call center handles facilities maintenance and EMS control/monitoring for a bunch of random clients. Most people at the call center are assigned to a "market" which is comprised of several companies that are probably seemingly-unrelated but their SOPs are similar enough that it makes sense to group them together, and most people in a given market take calls for all clients within that market.

My situation is a little different. I'm technically in a market, but I only have one client. It is one of the top 2 (if not THE) largest clients my company has, in terms of volume, due to it having over 7000 locations, each of which has its own unique knack for having majorly hosed up poo poo happen there all the time, causing all kinds of truly bizarre maintenance requests. The reason I'm only assigned to that client is that I'm on the landlord team for that client. This job is exacting and complicated enough that they don't bother us with anything else, because otherwise we couldn't do our jobs. The duty of the landlord team is to, for any work order that may possibly be the landlord's responsibility, check the lease and see whose responsibility it is, if it's my client's then dispatch to a vendor, and if it's landlord's, to contact the landlord and coordinate with them. There are currently about 2,000 open work orders for my client, a little over half of which are landlord related. And there's about 10 of us that handle all of that.

The point of all the foregoing being that we are very important and very specialized. There are so many little things you have to know that if you asked anyone else in the call center to help you with one of our work orders, they would just give you the deer-in-the-headlights expression. Even other non-landlord people who are on the same exact account have no idea what they're even looking at when they look at work order notes for a landlord work order, because they're just that different from anything else.

So, a few days ago, my supervisor (the supervisor of the landlord team) sent out an email to the team announcing that it was "her pleasure of giving ALL" of us the day off on labor day only. If you're scheduled the day before or the day after, you still have to come in. Well, I'm always off on Mondays anyway. Ok, fine, so that email isn't anything bad from my perspective, it's just a non-issue because it doesn't affect me. I was already off on Monday, and I don't get an extra day off because of that. That's cool, I really don't care. Upon receipt of this email, the first thing one of my co-workers did was ask the supervisor who was going to be handling the emergencies that day. If an emergency comes in and we're not there, it will not get handled. It will sit there until one of us comes and deals with it. They can't get anyone else in the whole call center to deal with it because no one knows how. And landlord emergencies are even more complicated to deal with than non-emergencies, and the fact that it's a holiday, thus making it "after hours" changes things even more and makes it even MORE complicated.

My supervisor's response to this was to giggle and say "Well, I don't care, I won't be there anyway!"

Yeah...

So that was that, or so we thought. Until today, when a couple hours after I get in, I see the supervisor for our market as a whole (who knows and does nothing related to landlord poo poo at all) asks us all to gather around, he needs to talk to us about something. (He was the one having this discussion with us because OUR supervisor conveniently took off yesterday and today, giving herself a FIVE day weekend, so she wasn't there to deal with this mess she created).

He tells us, "So...turns out someone WILL have to be in on Monday to handle emergencies." (This only came up because our account manager happened to find out, just in passing in a casual conversation right before she went home last night, that her entire loving landlord team had been granted a holiday without her knowledge.) We all just give him a blank stare. Imagine that! People already made plans in the two days since this "holiday" was announced! Ooops!!!

So he asks us if there's any volunteers. There were none. He tells us that if there are no volunteers, then someone will be drafted. The blank stares continued. I told him, "Well, seeing as I already gave up my day off last week to help out, I don't see myself doing it again this week just so everyone else can have a 3 day weekend," and then walked away. Eventually, someone volunteers. This someone is a loving retard, however. He is so dumb I can't even describe it, and basically fucks up everything he touches. Only problem is (aside from his dumbness) all he does is follow up on work orders, he has never even done what you have to do when the work order is initially processed (which is what this will be) with non-emergencies, much less emergencies, even more less after-hours emergencies.

Well, this supervisor, he realizes this, so his plan is to have this idiot train for the rest of the day with one of my co-workers who DOES know the process. Except that doesn't even make sense, because we already have a guy who only does emergencies, and this would be stepping on his toes. And the idiot can't train with the dedicated emergency guy because that guy works from home in another state. So before the idiot gets all settled in, I go up to the person who was going to be training him and tell her that I really don't think the account manager knows any of this is going on, and that she would be horrified if she knew that this guy was the one who was going to be handling emergencies on Monday, and maybe she should go give her a heads up on that. So she does, and predictably enough, the account manager is just like, "No. That's not happening." Which she tells the supervisor. Who then calls us all back around for a little pow-wow.

He asks again for volunteers, and gets more blank looks (although anger is starting to displace the "blank-ness" to some extent at this point.) He says, "Well, ok, then we're going by seniority." And guess what. The next lowest person on the seniority totem pole is me. There are two people with less seniority than me on my team, but one of them is retarded and the other is literally brand new and actually has a legitimate excuse not to know how to do what's needed. So it gets passed to me. And I'm like, "Wait a second. You're telling me that I have to come in on my day off and work emergencies all by myself, just so everyone else can have a holiday?" And he just looks at me with this poo poo-eating grin and is like "Yep."

I repeated it back to him a few more times in slightly different wording just to make sure he grasped the full implications of the retarded poo poo he was spewing my way. He did. He tells me to come over to his desk so we can work out what hours specifically I'll be working and when my breaks will be. I just went along with it because it was clear to me that there was no point in arguing with him, and then as soon as it was "settled" marched straight over to my account manager's desk and was just like, "Hi. I'd just like to register my....discontent....at being literally forced to come in on my day off and work emergencies just so everyone else can have a day off." She just gave me this look like her head was about to explode and was like, "What?????" I told her that I was being forced to come in and she just said, "No. That's not what's happening." I told her that I had just been informed in no uncertain terms that I had no choice and I WAS coming in on Monday. She was like, "Oh no you're not" and went and grabbed the supervisor and talked to him for a few minutes, and then went over and talked to senior call center management for like a half hour, who then called the supervisor and told him what was up.

So now I'm back to having my normal day off, and the retard's back to coming in to do a job he has no idea how to do. gently caress it, though. I won't have to deal with the aftermath. My secret hope is that he fucks something up bad enough that he gets taken off this account permanently, and there is a very real possibility of that happening if he's not really lucky.

But, I mean, is this whole thing not just totally insane? Our supervisor decides to give "everyone" a holiday (except me and one other person who are off on Mondays anyway, and which I was NOT bitter about not being included in the "treat," I mean poo poo happens) without thinking things through at all. And then takes a vacation so she's not around to deal with the fall-out. And then, my day off almost gets taken away just so that everyone else can have a holiday. Jesus Christ, what the gently caress.

Oh and the icing on the poo poo cake is that the retard who originally volunteered to come in on Monday, and who is ultimately going to be the one to do it, was not able to be trained because between the time of the account manager saying she didn't want him doing it, and the time of upper management putting their foot down and saying I didn't have to come in on my day off after all, the supervisor just decided to randomly let retard guy LWOP (leave without pay) for the rest of the day, for no goddamn reason. So he will literally have no idea what he's doing. It's gonna be hilarious, since I won't have to deal with much of the fall-out.

edit: Oh yeah, and after I had complained to the account manager, but before things had been resolved, this loving supe comes up to me and tries to "sweeten the deal" by "offering" me a different day off later in the week. Oh really, shitbird? I'm being forced to come in on my day off just so the whole rest of the team gets a three day weekend and my "reward" is to not even be paid overtime for it? Haha, I should have just told him to give me Saturday off. He would have done it too, because he's too goddamn stupid to realize that on Saturdays, I AM the one who comes in and does emergencies all day all by myself, and that they'd be just as hosed.

CUMGUARD fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Sep 1, 2012

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Management in a call center (or centre, in your case) that doesn't know their assholes from a whole in the ground? Why I never....

It's not what you know, it's who you drink with and who you screw that determines who becomes management.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
I care so little for my job right now, and it's starting to show on my calls. Had a call yesterday which may very well get me fired.

The woman calls in, pissed as all hell. This is the conversation:

Her: My box doesn't work.
Me: Which box?
Her: You know good and drat well. MY cable box.
Me: So you're having issues watching TV?
Her: MY TV IS JUST FINE IT"S YOUR BOX.
Me: So you're not having problems with the internet or phone?
Her: NO DO NOT ACT STUPID IT IS YOUR GODDAMN CABLE BOX.

An argument ensues over the use of "TV" in a general sense. So whatever. Hook her poo poo up, not working right. HDMI picture is flashing on and off. Decide to send a tech, she's not happy because of the $30 fee to send a tech out because it's a kit you install yourself (Basically if it's us we waive the fee, if you're a retard you pay $30).

Then she starts railing me about how lovely the instructions are. How she can't understand them. How horrible we are as a company because she can't give out instructions people can understand. It slipped out before I could stop myself.

Very few of our customers actually have issues with the instructions.

:byodame: WHAT THE gently caress ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY ABOUT ME I AM GOI-*click*.

It felt so good though.

taremva
Mar 5, 2009
Yay! More overtime!
My colleague thinks I'm a workaholic at this point, but if someone wants to pay me overtime rates to answer a phone I wont turn them down.

CUMGUARD
Nov 22, 2004

taremva posted:

Yay! More overtime!
My colleague thinks I'm a workaholic at this point, but if someone wants to pay me overtime rates to answer a phone I wont turn them down.

Lucky lucky, they were giving overtime away like candy at my center, but now that peak season is about over, they just cracked down on it hard. Oh well, there'll be another peak season starting in a couple months for us, I'm sure the gravy train will make its way back to the station eventually!!!

taremva
Mar 5, 2009

CUMGUARD posted:

Lucky lucky, they were giving overtime away like candy at my center, but now that peak season is about over, they just cracked down on it hard. Oh well, there'll be another peak season starting in a couple months for us, I'm sure the gravy train will make its way back to the station eventually!!!

At our place it's weird because we only have 10 people (5 shifts covering 24/7/365) so if someone is sick, someone else gets overtime. It is possible to work solo, but it can get really stressful very quickly.

ZeroDays
Feb 11, 2007

taremva posted:

At our place it's weird because we only have 10 people (5 shifts covering 24/7/365) so if someone is sick, someone else gets overtime. It is possible to work solo, but it can get really stressful very quickly.

In my experience, it was hard for managers to convince employees to do overtime. People in call-centers understandably value their free time greatly. I know I did and would probably nut someone who asked me to do overtime before they got past the first word. I didn't see a dangling carrot, just a dangling big slobbery dick, and I just wasn't hungry.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

I do support for a large national telecom company, and we had essentially unlimited overtime available for a while due to all the storms that were passing through the northeast. It was capped at 15 hours total work per day, 7 days a week. Several people I knew were doing 105 hour weeks, 3-4 weeks in a row. I think I would kill myself.

Now, admittedly, if you were at the pay cap for the position you were taking home ~$4300/week, but gently caress if that could make me take calls 105 hours a week. I do as little overtime as possible.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
A coworker of mine and I talked about this. We were both jumping the overtime train when we started, easy money right? Neither of us will take it unless we're forced (Holidays and stuff). I'll work hard at a job I like, and when people actually show me that they see I'm trying. I just can't do that for this job, it's constantly "Work harder, faster, better. It's never good enough, keep trying harder!"

Then I found out it was our director who was having bullshit that we shouldn't be dealing with routed to us.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

CUMGUARD posted:

Holiday nonsense.

Let us know if their was a disaster. As for OT, I cut back on how much I'll pick up at our call center, and I didn't volunteer for Labor Day. We've been stupid busy here for months, they won't admit we need another person or two on shift, and due to a disagreement about rules at work, I got hosed out of my last holiday pay. Actually that is a pretty good story.

Basically our company has a policy that if you call off the day before or day after a paid holiday, you don't get your holiday pay. However, the employee handbook states that if an employee requests the day before or after off in advance, they don't loose holiday pay. Common sense, if you ask off for a vacation day or personal day, you don't loose your holiday. So they control who calls off.

So what happened is this year, Wednesday July 4th was a holiday. I requested off Thursday, and Sunday. (my shift is Sun-Thurs) so I had Wed-Sun off. Well Monday my son was sick, so I had to take him to the pediatrician. I called off Monday. So lo and behold, they took my holiday pay. I asked why, they said because I called off on my next scheduled day back. I said no I didn't, I requested off my next scheduled day Thursday, then my next scheduled day after that Sunday, then the day after that, I called off. They argue no, it doesn't matter what day it is, the next day you are supposed work after a holiday is the one that counts. I argued this is nonsense. The policy exists to prevent scheduling problems right before or after a holiday. At some point we're so far away for the holiday (like Monday when the holiday was Wednesday) that I'm not affecting the pre or post holiday scheduling, and this rule doesn't make sense when you interpret it their way. If I took a month vacation and then called off my first day back in August, they'd still retroactively take away my July 4th holiday pay. I was told yes, that is correct.

The Baroness
Oct 1, 2004
Glasses, evil and HAWT

jassi007 posted:

Let us know if their was a disaster. As for OT, I cut back on how much I'll pick up at our call center, and I didn't volunteer for Labor Day. We've been stupid busy here for months, they won't admit we need another person or two on shift, and due to a disagreement about rules at work, I got hosed out of my last holiday pay. Actually that is a pretty good story.

Basically our company has a policy that if you call off the day before or day after a paid holiday, you don't get your holiday pay. However, the employee handbook states that if an employee requests the day before or after off in advance, they don't loose holiday pay. Common sense, if you ask off for a vacation day or personal day, you don't loose your holiday. So they control who calls off.

So what happened is this year, Wednesday July 4th was a holiday. I requested off Thursday, and Sunday. (my shift is Sun-Thurs) so I had Wed-Sun off. Well Monday my son was sick, so I had to take him to the pediatrician. I called off Monday. So lo and behold, they took my holiday pay. I asked why, they said because I called off on my next scheduled day back. I said no I didn't, I requested off my next scheduled day Thursday, then my next scheduled day after that Sunday, then the day after that, I called off. They argue no, it doesn't matter what day it is, the next day you are supposed work after a holiday is the one that counts. I argued this is nonsense. The policy exists to prevent scheduling problems right before or after a holiday. At some point we're so far away for the holiday (like Monday when the holiday was Wednesday) that I'm not affecting the pre or post holiday scheduling, and this rule doesn't make sense when you interpret it their way. If I took a month vacation and then called off my first day back in August, they'd still retroactively take away my July 4th holiday pay. I was told yes, that is correct.

Yeah, that's generally the way holiday pay works.

CUMGUARD
Nov 22, 2004

Well, today was the aftermath, and it wasn't exactly surprising but still :wtf:. It's one of those things where it went exactly the way I predicted it would, but the way I predicted it would go is so absurd and unacceptable that despite thinking that's what will happen, you don't REALLY think that's what's going to happen. But it did.

When I left on Sunday night, there was only one work order in our queue. It had already been confirmed as an area power outage, so we didn't have to do anything except follow up on it later and find out if any of their equipment had gotten fried in the process (which actually happens a lot due to how lovely their wiring is). I'm told that when people came in today, there were over 100 work orders in queue, about 40 of which were emergencies. We spent all day with 3 people working emergencies just to get them cleared out, and finally managed to get them cleared out by the time I left tonight (for reference, there is usually only one person doing emergencies at any given time). The fact that we had extremely high call volume today didn't help, as new poo poo was coming in just as fast as we could move old poo poo out.

The guy who was supposed to do emergencies didn't do anything. Like, nothing. I literally wish there were cameras just so I could see what he actually did do. He claims he processed 20 work orders all day. An average day is about 50-60, a good day would be 80-100. He did 20. And he didn't do any of them right. Oh well, the way I look at it is, at least that's ONLY 20 work orders that got actively hosed up, vs poo poo going downhill just because it wasn't dealt with. Much easier to do damage control. One of my coworkers just wasn't able to resist and actually asked the guy at one point, "So...Frank...what exactly DID you do all day yesterday?" His response? "I did emergencies! What, did I do something wrong???" I've gotta say, after the way it turned out, they would have been better off just not having anyone come in at all. Ridiculous.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I had to take a few weeks off, unpaid leave but it's all approved and written up in the roster. I've been gone a little over 3 weeks and I thought hey I'll check my work email for shits and giggles. I discover that one of the managers has been assigning time-sensitive work to my queue the whole time I've been away - not even a 'whoops didn't notice' in the first week, multiple cases over many days and even one from just yesterday. Just to reiterate from a couple pages back, there are only a dozen-odd staff so it's not like my bright blue multi-week "Leave" bar is some tiny blip on the roster and FIVE managers who, presumably, have enough time in their busy schedules to a) check the roster and b) check if the work that's being passed out like candy has actually been done.

I think I can quit soon. I am tempted to hang out a little longer for the money, and it's probably unwise to quit without a 100% confirmed job around the corner, but ugggggh everything about that workplace, even NOT WORKING, is such a massive gently caress around.

Fizzle
Dec 14, 2006
ZOMG, Where'd my old account go?!?
Well, I'm FREE. Wasn't of my own accord, but I have to say, It's a HUGE weight off my shoulders.

They decided to ding me for phone manipulation or something, which I wasn't doing. I was #1 in the call center 2 years in a row, but a change in the regime, and suddenly I'm gone. I'm going to guess it was my pay rate that got me ousted (I was making $29 an hour as a tech support rep)

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Fizzle posted:

(I was making $29 an hour as a tech support rep)

Jesus christ.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Once more into the breach for me.

Looking to work my way into IT, I took a tech support call center position. On the plus side, it seems like a pretty good place to work, great benefits and casual attitude.

Speaking of casual, it pisses me off so much that most call centers don't allow casual dress when it doesn't matter in the least bit. We literally never see a customer, do khakis and ties really make people more productive than jeans and shirts? Is it just born out of some "this is how business is done" bullshit mentality?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

WampaLord posted:

Once more into the breach for me.

Looking to work my way into IT, I took a tech support call center position. On the plus side, it seems like a pretty good place to work, great benefits and casual attitude.

Speaking of casual, it pisses me off so much that most call centers don't allow casual dress when it doesn't matter in the least bit. We literally never see a customer, do khakis and ties really make people more productive than jeans and shirts? Is it just born out of some "this is how business is done" bullshit mentality?

Can't speak for your centre, but I saw productivity stats for ours a while back that pretty conclusivley showed that dress down days were less productive overall. So while your or I may work just as hard regardless of what trousers we have on, the average chucklefuck subconsciously slows down if he's been allowed to wear a t shirt. lovely, I know.

ZeroDays
Feb 11, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

Can't speak for your centre, but I saw productivity stats for ours a while back that pretty conclusivley showed that dress down days were less productive overall. So while your or I may work just as hard regardless of what trousers we have on, the average chucklefuck subconsciously slows down if he's been allowed to wear a t shirt. lovely, I know.

Dress down days are pretty much always the last day of the week/month/some bullshit charity event/holiday so it's easy to figure out why they might be less productive for reasons other than slightly starchier fabric brushing against your skin.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
They get given out as performance rewards at our place too, otherwise I'd be completely agreeing with you. Team of the week gets to dress down and it's really rare that a team holds it for more than a single week because of this effect. But hey, it's a cheaper reward than... Well, an actual reward. So go team!

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Motherfuck am I glad we don't have much of a dress code at our center.

The only person I ever see dress up is my supe who looks like a 5th grade teacher with a rich husband.

Even her boss is usually in jeans and sports shirts.

taremva
Mar 5, 2009
When we have a risk of customers coming into work I put on a company t shirt just so we look a bit more presentable.

During nights I wear whatever I want :colbert:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

WampaLord posted:

I mentioned this some pages back, but it's worth mentioning again. When we had no dress code people started taking it to an extreme. People showing up in pajama pants and Snoopy slippers and poo poo. People literally rolling their greasy bodies out of bed after an all night WoW bender and coming to work in whatever they managed to pass out in. It got out of control. Our dress code now calls for pants and a collared shirt during the week, and shorts are OK on the weekend.

I'm pretty sure the number crunchers can show a correlation between dress and a host of other behaviors like productivity, appropriate workplace actions, and things like that.

Benzoyl Peroxide
Jun 6, 2007

[C6H5C(O)]2O2
I'd also like to reiterate something from a few pages back when we were talking about people leaving their headsets on and just unplugging at the breakaway, then going to the loo and so on. If people came to my workplace in pyjamas they would be ridiculed not just by me, but by most staff, and also most likely sent home. We have no dress code and no people coming in hosed up like that.

A correlation in stats (which we all hate) would most likely prove meaningless, or simply hint at further research to be done. For example, you did have a dress code. AFTER it was removed people took some kind of extreme advantage. Elsewhere, my place have never had a dress code and it has never been an issue. There is a big difference there.

I would hate to have to wear even semi formal clothes to work. I wouldn't wear them at home, so why there? It should be enough to turn up in a reasonably presentable set of clothes and just do my job.
That being said, I think I recall some posters here said they prefer having some kind of formal dress code - because when they get home they can change and be done with work. That's understandable.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Well my new gig has a casual dress code and I couldn't be happier (Yay California!). It always infuriated me that we never dealt with an actual customer face-to-face yet were forced to wear business attire. Personally, I always enjoyed casual Fridays so much more, or even better were Saturdays when it was just like 3 people in the whole building so we could basically wear/do whatever as long as we still took calls.

Anyway, the new job is tech support, so I look forward to delivering many hilarious/enraging stories to the thread!

ZeroDays
Feb 11, 2007

skipdogg posted:

I mentioned this some pages back, but it's worth mentioning again. When we had no dress code people started taking it to an extreme. People showing up in pajama pants and Snoopy slippers and poo poo. People literally rolling their greasy bodies out of bed after an all night WoW bender and coming to work in whatever they managed to pass out in. It got out of control. Our dress code now calls for pants and a collared shirt during the week, and shorts are OK on the weekend.

I'm pretty sure the number crunchers can show a correlation between dress and a host of other behaviors like productivity, appropriate workplace actions, and things like that.

You must have a pretty retarded work-base. I've worked in many places with no dress code and the idea that someone would wear pajamas and snoopy slippers is ludicrous, and sounds like the type of bullshit made-up anecdote that's told to new-hires to justify the dress code and some bonus chuckles. Your management must have been pretty downsy themselves not to have established some ground rules. "No dress code" has always had guidelines along the lines of no football tops (in UK at least), no midriff showing, put your tits away etc, it's never "wear whatever you want".

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

Just a brief rant...

If you challenge a QA's audit on a call you've done, that they've marked over 80%?

We quietly imagine beating you over the head with our keyboards. Repeatedly. Until you die.

...just an FYI.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Sometimes the next tier is wrong/obtuse/annoying, but not always.

I've taken to playing "assist roulette" when I don't get the answer I want.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

cuntvalet posted:

Just a brief rant...

If you challenge a QA's audit on a call you've done, that they've marked over 80%?

We quietly imagine beating you over the head with our keyboards. Repeatedly. Until you die.

...just an FYI.

Well I don't know your system but where I was working 80% would have prevented you from getting your incentive pay so I would challenge it.

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Well I don't know your system but where I was working 80% would have prevented you from getting your incentive pay so I would challenge it.

80% is our pass point. We don't get incentive pay.

They only challenge it to be pedantic or to ask a question about it or to get some time off the phones.

...we're begging them not to, because we get bogged down with these challenges and have a hard time getting to the legitimate ones. Or we won't get notice of them. Just...come up to our desks and ask to speak to us. It's not gonna be any less formal and we will still change the grade if we feel we need to/it's deserved/we missed something. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeroDays
Feb 11, 2007

cuntvalet posted:

They only challenge it to be pedantic or to ask a question about it or to get some time off the phones.
Hell no, if I was still on the phones, fuckin' right I'd be challenging a QA if I thought I had grounds to, regardless of the score. The reasons you listed for challenging seem perfectly reasonable. Especially the last one. Especially the last one.