Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

spixxor posted:

Browsing Petfinder and came across this guy. Is it just me or is there something really unsettling/off about his face? He's like the epitome of :downs:

Where his eyes are set is odd, they're high up and far apart. He also has too gradual a stop (where his forehead meets his snout) so it makes it look even more odd. Is that a malamute?

Edit: on second look, way too small, that HAS to be a husky. Man that little dude has an odd face. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Bear Rape posted:

He looks like a stuffed animal. Those eyes are ridiculous. :3:

e: This discussion reminds me that my grandparents did the old "replace the cat with a completely different cat that LOOKS similar and hope they don't notice" to my mom while she was in the military. They ran over the other one by accident. My grandparents are kind of weird when it comes to pets but they spoil the hell out of any animal that is "theirs" and it ends up being an obese spastic mess.

My grandparents got my mom a kitten when she was in high school, and it didn't get along with her beloved older cat...so they took the older cat to the pound one day while she was at school. The smart, friendly, sweet middle-aged cat who had moved with them from California and loved my mom more than anything. For a kitten that Mom says was dumb, grumpy, and didn't like anyone.

:psyduck:

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

I don't understand the attitude some people have that cats are somehow more disposable than dogs. We had a lady bring her rear end in a top hat Jack Russell in for his post-op recheck and when I asked how he was doing, she says, "Well, he and the Lab got out yesterday and killed the cat, but he's okay! He just got a few scratches!"

:psyduck:

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.
I don't get it either but it's so common. I know someone who gave their dogs the best care imaginable, took them to the vet any time they even had a bruise, etc. but let a barn cat walk around for several days with a broken leg. When she told me that I asked her how she could justify it, and her response was literally, "Well, it's a not like it's a dog." :downs: And then when I offered to take it, she wouldn't let me because "he's a good mouser." When he can walk, I guess.

Don't worry though, that kitty wound up disappearing the next day while the owner was at work and I happened to be passing by. She figured it was coyotes but I have it on good authority that the kitty hitched a ride to a vet clinic a couple of hours away where the resident vet had a soft spot for injured kitties and not only fixed him up but gave him a home.

I'm not even a cat person and I have to admit that when my cat died it didn't break me up as much as losing dogs or horses has, but drat I was still really sad. I could never imagine just dumping a cat at the shelter either, and it has been tempting at times with my tortie who is a bundle of medical issues and hate.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Well, at least in my grandmother's case, ditching that cat had nothing to do with cats being more disposable than dogs. She hates dogs. Conceptually, at least - I've caught her sneaking a few pets in on Husker and Murphy from time to time. Of course, it's hard to avoid petting Husker, he just puts his head in your hand if you're not paying attention to him.

When my sister needed to move to the area where my grandmother lives, Grandma insisted she live with her, and then tried to make her get rid of all her animals before she would let her live there. It blew my mind. Thankfully my sister stood up to her and it actually ended up working out pretty well for everyone.

SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

It looks like little girl might be moving out today. :toot: She had interest from a home locally but then they backed out because she wasn't show quality. What does someone expect from a rescue dog? I mean I know she's especially funky looking but to expect a female only show dog Staffy to be pulled locally to you? Batshit insane.

Luckily a foster in north Florida is willing to meet me in Ocala because she's going to get me evicted if she stays here much longer.

ToastFaceKillah
Dec 25, 2010

every day could be your last
in the jungle
So, I need to ask the PI hivemind here, does this look like a good breeder?

http://www.bengal-katz.com/

My husband and I have been talking about a bengal cat for a couple of years, but he has decided that after we get the house siding repaired, it's time to make it happen. I've been looking at Texas breeders, and so far that one looks like it's a good one. I have never actually bought a cat from a breeder though, so I figure here is the best place to ask.

Amberlyn
Jan 5, 2010

ToastFaceKillah posted:

So, I need to ask the PI hivemind here, does this look like a good breeder?

http://www.bengal-katz.com/

My husband and I have been talking about a bengal cat for a couple of years, but he has decided that after we get the house siding repaired, it's time to make it happen. I've been looking at Texas breeders, and so far that one looks like it's a good one. I have never actually bought a cat from a breeder though, so I figure here is the best place to ask.

I don't know much about cat breeders, but I will say I was impressed with their comprehensive questionnaire, and that they don't appear to be churning out multiple litters. As a potential owner, it's frustrating to not have a lot of selection, or be put on a waiting list, but my impression is that they breed with quality in mind, rather than quantity. That's always a plus in my book.

I also watched a video. The enclosure the cats were in seemed clean and uncrowded (only two cats as far as I could see for a very large space.) And the cats seemed unafraid and easy in the presence of the human.

ToastFaceKillah
Dec 25, 2010

in the jungle

Amberlyn posted:

I don't know much about cat breeders, but I will say I was impressed with their comprehensive questionnaire, and that they don't appear to be churning out multiple litters. As a potential owner, it's frustrating to not have a lot of selection, or be put on a waiting list, but my impression is that they breed with quality in mind, rather than quantity. That's always a plus in my book.

I also watched a video. The enclosure the cats were in seemed clean and uncrowded (only two cats as far as I could see for a very large space.) And the cats seemed unafraid and easy in the presence of the human.

Yeah, those were things that also stood out to me. And the fact that it's also close enough for me to actually drive up and talk to them about the cats. I'm less concerned about getting A Perfect Specimen, I want a cat that will live without crippling and/or deadly health issues, that is well bred, and socialized properly as a kitten. The only thing my husband has specifically said is that he isn't as big on the marbled ones, he does prefer spotted.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Oh my god guys, my fearful, reactive dog greeted my friend who she has known less for a day with kisses, and has spent the last 5-6 hours licking her and rolling all over her.

Who traded my scaredy dog for a normal dog :mad:

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Just realized that today is (supposedly) Rocky's third birthday!

Happy Birthday, monster. :toot:

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012

Fraction posted:

Oh my god guys, my fearful, reactive dog greeted my friend who she has known less for a day with kisses, and has spent the last 5-6 hours licking her and rolling all over her.

Who traded my scaredy dog for a normal dog :mad:

Don't worry, she's saving up :3:Cute Credit:3: for when she does something atrocious. Most likely involving poop, and the interior of your house.

(Yay for good behavior!)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Wanna take a guess what kitty actually is, you guys? Or is that actually a bengal?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sure looks like a real Bengal to me...

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE
He looks like a Bengal to me, but I'm no expert.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
How the hell is a cat "too big" unless it's also like, violent?

Also who would want a dewarmed cat, that is the best part about cattes.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I think he's just a DSH with a very pretty spotted tabby coat. The spots don't have the rosetting/marbling that a bengal would and the ears seem odly big but it is hard to tell with a 6 month old.

For comparison:

A 6 month old bengal:

Side view of more adult

Also they only want $150 when Bengals go for $1k+

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Shifty Pony posted:

Also they only want $150 when Bengals go for $1k+

To be fair CL isn't supposed to allow selling at all, but that doesn't stop anyone. If they're rehoming a Bengal they would want at least a percentage of that, though. I'm thinking it's just a big tabby they were told is a Bengal. The ears seem a bit off for a purebred too. Maybe a mix? :shrug:

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Shifty Pony posted:

I think he's just a DSH with a very pretty spotted tabby coat. The spots don't have the rosetting/marbling that a bengal would and the ears seem odly big but it is hard to tell with a 6 month old.

I think it's actually fairly likely that cat is a Bengal. Perhaps a poorly bred one, but a Bengal nonetheless. I'm basing that on facial shape and markings and that the spots are not arranged vertically like a spotted mack tabby would have.

Bengals ideally have rosettes but not all of them do. They also can have what are called "arrowhead" spots that are small and irregularly shaped and not two-toned. Most breeders don't prefer that, but it's a valid pattern.

ToastFaceKillah
Dec 25, 2010

in the jungle
If you zoom in, it actually looks like it does have faint rosettes, it's just a really lovely picture. So yeah, probably just a poorly bred bengal.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
At least he's dewarmed.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

McDragon posted:

Those ears are fantastic. :3:

"Boof Boof" really is a great description of that kind of quiet barking. Gail has a version of it where she growls a bit too, I call it "wuffling and gruffling". Usually it means "give me cuddles".
I always thought of it as "chuffing", like the chuff of a steam locomotive picking up speed.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

four lean hounds posted:

Don't worry, she's saving up :3:Cute Credit:3: for when she does something atrocious. Most likely involving poop, and the interior of your house.

(Yay for good behavior!)

Probably yeah but I don't even care, she has been such a Good Dog :3: It's crazy how much better she's got with new people, she still doesn't want strangers touching her or anything but it used to take ~a week of daily interaction to get her used to a new person, and this time it took less than a day, basically!

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

McDragon posted:

Here's an Okapi. They're wondeful.

Okapi. :3:

I went to San Antonio last month, and did the whole zoo thing. The okapi kept sticking his nose through the fence at me, and is now my favorite land-dwelling ungulate.

While I'm at it, have a Grumpy Rattlesnake Pile.

SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

Mutty Mcnotastaff went to a foster yesterday. They were not fooled but took her anyway. Basically it was "At least she's small and cute, someone brought us a 60 lb pit/hound mutt once." Her name is now Kiwi. She's got hookworkms and whipworms, waiting on a heartworm test but it'll probably come back positive as well. She'll be spayed soon.

I chatted Staffies with the foster and she was such a typical showlady it made my head spin. She was especially dismissive of working lines and non-standard dogs. Nice lady and all but so wrapped up in the SHOW STANDARD I had to hold my tongue several times. You guys know there's no reason to breed outside the standard right? If they're built to standard they should be able to do any job because STANDARD. She totally knew what I was talking about though when I said I have a flyball bred dog and he's neurotic as all hell. It was nice to meet a person who can see many flyball staffs for what they are, tragically over driven to the point of being largely non-functional outside of sport.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

SuperTwo posted:

I chatted Staffies with the foster and she was such a typical showlady it made my head spin. She was especially dismissive of working lines and non-standard dogs. Nice lady and all but so wrapped up in the SHOW STANDARD I had to hold my tongue several times. You guys know there's no reason to breed outside the standard right? If they're built to standard they should be able to do any job because STANDARD.
I stopped at a rest area to eat lunch a few weeks ago while on a longish drive, and some rear end in a top hat show-dog woman with a van-load of dogs was there.

Everybody else took their pets to the clearly-marked animal area, and this woman took her (6 that I counted) dogs out, one at a time, and did that pretentious show-jog through the middle of the family eating/picnic area and back a few times, with each dog in succession. :fuckoff:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

coyo7e posted:

I always thought of it as "chuffing", like the chuff of a steam locomotive picking up speed.

When Koji does it we call it "buffbuffing." Then we ask him "What's going on, Buff-Buff?" :3:

jgrrr
Oct 3, 2007

&
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5ULq2MWvgs&hd=1

took our dog (Phoebe) to the beach. have posted her in the "what breed is that" thread where they said she was a Bully breed. I refused to believe it, but after reading more and getting to know her more it's a bit more obvious that she is.

request of a co-worker of mine was to make it as cheesy as possible, i don't think i did that well...

jgrrr fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 10, 2012

SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

jgrrr posted:

took our dog (Phoebe) to the beach. have posted her in the "what breed is that" thread where they said she was a Bully breed. I refused to believe it, but after reading more and getting to know her more it's a bit more obvious that she is.

request of a co-worker of mine was to make it as cheesy as possible, i don't think i did that well...

Phoebe is really cute but she's not a Staffordshire Bull Terrier. SBT's are typically under 16" tall and females are usually around 25-30 pounds. Phoebe looks like a Pit Bull or Pit Bull mix.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

SuperTwo posted:

Phoebe is really cute but she's not a Staffordshire Bull Terrier. SBT's are typically under 16" tall and females are usually around 25-30 pounds. Phoebe looks like a Pit Bull or Pit Bull mix.

Yeah she just looks like a big ol' pitty/mix to me too. Staffies and staffie mixes really aren't common in the US, if you have a bully dog it's 100x more likely to be a pit.

jgrrr
Oct 3, 2007

&
Once again, thanks! Will just call her a bully-mutt in the future, I guess. We were judging by photos.

jgrrr fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 10, 2012

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
It was puppy day at the shelter :3:. Below are two shar peis followed by two collie mixes. There was a third collie pup and an ACD mix pup I also hung out with, but no pics. BF took out some of the plott hound puppies.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Facebook friend posted:

Just gave Reba a bath and Shea not a happy puppy... as a matter of fact, she growled at me while in the tub lol

hilarious

Ginny Field
Dec 18, 2007

What if there is some boy-beast running around Camp Crystal Lake?

jgrrr posted:

Oh wow, is that Gardiner Park? We've taken Ginny there a few times. She absolutely hates everything to do with water and getting wet, so I was shocked that she even put her paws in. I think she just wanted to eat the geese.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
Moses ate the meat rabbit I was growing out (i guess its hutch wasn't latched properly, door was wide open.) I WAS GOING TO EAT THAT RABBIT. NEXT WEEKEND IN FACT.

His teeth are very clean now at least.

The Prismatic Goth
May 31, 2001

I was on the phone with my mom earlier and she casually mentioned that one of my uncles just got a miniature poodle puppy. Or, rather, make that his wife and daughter went and got the dog. He never wanted anything to do with pets, but they convinced him by assuring that they'd be responsible for it. Of course then it became clear that since he's retired whereas they're working, the dog suddenly turns into his problem when they are out at work all day.

Also the puppy is only like 2 months old and they have no idea how to house train him and they live in a city where there are tons of high rises/very little open space so I doubt the pup is getting walked enough or at all......

How do you dog people do it, I haven't even owned a dog ever and listening to this poo poo makes my blood pressure rise.

catamar
May 23, 2008

InEscape posted:

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/23647279?rvp=1

He and Sarabi have almost identical markings... :swoon:

This dog is Gansett's mini twin! My dog is a corgi/golden mix too but 6 years old and blind and 35lbs, not 22.

e: pictures

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

:3: :3: :3: He might not be able to see, but he can still feel that warm sea breeze.

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

Skizzles posted:

Look at the emotional abuse Gar puts Trophy through: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pfk08av7TNg

Pssh that's nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeqOHcIIixc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Hp0D_oMqkM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

i am literally crying big blubbery tears of a baby right now

you SON OF A WHORE THOSE BLOCKS WERE ALL SHE HAD

• Locked thread