Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
gently caress aggy

an important thing to know for all college football rookies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
You're off your rocker mon frere

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Rap posted:

You're off your rocker mon frere

Ignore him. Hes been drinking. He doesn't ean any of it.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Chichevache posted:

Ignore him. Hes been drinking. He doesn't ean any of it.

Every gently caress aggy from Donut is from the bottom of his heart. Mine too gently caress aggy

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
I'm pretty sure he passed out.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Watching Jacksonville/Minnesota today reminds me to ask this question: Can somebody help explain to me why the hell the NFL initiated the new, convoluted-as-hell overtime system? Is there a method to the madness?

It's like "instead of doing a 15 minute quarter like we have for years or college-style 'everybody gets a possession and we go 'til somebody wins', let's have a hybrid where each team possesses the ball unless a TD or safety is scored on the first drive, at which point the second team doesn't even get it".

I guess I could like it more if I could go "Oh, OK, that makes sense".

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

CBJSprague24 posted:

Watching Jacksonville/Minnesota today reminds me to ask this question: Can somebody help explain to me why the hell the NFL initiated the new, convoluted-as-hell overtime system? Is there a method to the madness?

It's like "instead of doing a 15 minute quarter like we have for years or college-style 'everybody gets a possession and we go 'til somebody wins', let's have a hybrid where each team possesses the ball unless a TD or safety is scored on the first drive, at which point the second team doesn't even get it".

I guess I could like it more if I could go "Oh, OK, that makes sense".

Because one time Peyton Manning lost a playoff game in OT without touching the ball, basically

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

You can't win on a field goal if the other team hasn't touched the ball. Some people were getting upset because they felt like games were being decided on a coin toss because you only have to go like 30 yards. That's it. You are entitled to think it's stupid.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

SteelAngel2000 posted:

Because one time Peyton Manning lost a playoff game in OT without touching the ball, basically

You mean Brett Favre :colbert:

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
College Style OT is the best, but barring that they should drop the whole weird rules about a FG vs. a TD in the opening possession. They just say that each team is guaranteed a possession. After both teams have had the ball, and its still tied, it becomes sudden death.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

How about 2 guaranteed 5-minute halves, followed by penalty kicks if it's still tied. Of course, each player only gets to take one kick in the shootout.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Chilly McFreeze posted:

How about 2 guaranteed 5-minute halves, followed by penalty kicks if it's still tied. Of course, each player only gets to take one kick in the shootout.

How about a full quarter of football.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

They should just reset the score and play again

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I'm noticing a lot more mouthguards flying out everywhere than ever before. Is there a reason for this or am I just imagining it?

DR AIDS
Nov 4, 2008

No shits will be given
wrongggg thread

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Uncle Jam posted:

I'm noticing a lot more mouthguards flying out everywhere than ever before. Is there a reason for this or am I just imagining it?
Mouthguards aren't mandatory in the NFL. I'm pretty sure all this recent stuff about concussions has convinced more players to wear them.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Why isn't spiking the ball intentional grounding? It's the textbook definition of intentional grounding.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

SteelAngel2000 posted:

Why isn't spiking the ball intentional grounding? It's the textbook definition of intentional grounding.

You should probably take this one to the rules thread, but I think it is a specialized play that they allow because it adds to the game.

Or do you mean spiking like when Gronk scores a touchdown?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

SteelAngel2000 posted:

It has a special exemption in the rulebook.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

Chichevache posted:

You should probably take this one to the rules thread, but I think it is a specialized play that they allow because it adds to the game.

Or do you mean spiking like when Gronk scores a touchdown?

The latter kind of spike is an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty thanks to Mr. Goodell.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

What are the basic differences between offsides, neutral zone infractions and encroachment? I've been watching football for years and understand what it is to go offsides and all, but I'm not keen enough to differentiate the three.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

shyguy posted:

What are the basic differences between offsides, neutral zone infractions and encroachment? I've been watching football for years and understand what it is to go offsides and all, but I'm not keen enough to differentiate the three.

There is one called "unabated to the quarterback", and "delay of game on the defense" as well.

My understanding is neutral zone infraction is extremely close to if not identical to offsides and it's if a defensive player is lined up in such a way that he is standing over where the ball is snapped, or if a dlineman jumped past the neutral zoned and doesn't get back before the ball is snapped. Blitzing linebackers also do this when they improperly react to the snap count and over commit across the line.

Delay of Game on the Defense is if they jerk or make a move intended to draw the other team into committing a false start.

Unabated to the quarterback is if a player charges across the line and is aiming for the quarterback before the ball is snapped sort of if the blitzing linebacker mentioned before keeps going instead of stopping.

Finally Encroachment is when a defensive player makes actual physical contact with an offensive player before the ball is snapped.

If you want to try these out in simulation if you play madden if you run all the way across the line of scrimmage and stand below the quarterback, when the ball is snapped you'll get an offsides penalty but if you touch another player on the way the you get immediately flagged for encroachment.

Edit: another main difference is I'm pretty sure encroachment,unabated, and delay blows the play dead immediately, and offsides results in the "free play" where the quarterback can risk throwing a deep ball that gets intercepted because the offsides will always result in the 5 yard penalty.

pasaluki fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Sep 10, 2012

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

shyguy posted:

Someone asked this a while ago, so I wrote it up last year in my rules thread about the difference between the three phrases depending on whether you're on Friday, Saturday or Sunday (any rules questions are welcome in there, no matter how elementary).

quote:

I'll repost, with the addition that "unabated to the quarterback" means you've gone right through the neutral zone prior to the snap and have an unimpeded, full-speed full-intensity path to wallop the QB if the play actually goes off; it's very unlikely that the offense will be able to get anything from the play and very likely that the QB's going to take a huge hit, so we shut the play down before that happens and just give them the yards.

Now, the terminology differs depending on which rulebook you're using; just about the only thing they do agree on is that when it appears, it's always "offside" in the singular.

NFL: "Offside" is when a defender is in the neutral zone at the snap, or a defender goes right through and is unabated to the quarterback (or any player is past their restraining line on a free kick). "Encroachment" is when a defender enters the neutral zone and makes contact with an opponent. "Neutral zone infraction" is when a defender enters the neutral zone and causes an offensive player to react without contacting him. Offside is a live-ball foul unless it's unabated to the quarterback; encroachment and NZ infraction are dead-ball.

NCAA: "Offside" covers all three fouls described above when committed by a defensive team player. "Encroachment" is when an offensive player lines up in the neutral zone, and it is a dead-ball foul like a false start.

NFHS: "Offside" is not used; "encroachment" covers any illegal entry into the neutral zone prior to the snap, and it is always a dead-ball foul; if a defender jumps, they aren't allowed to get back, and despite 50 years of officials calling it this way on the field, a large number of high school coaches still howl about it because it was called differently on Saturday's big TV game.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Trin Tragula posted:

Offsides rules

So is it correct that defenders are allowed to draw the offense into a false start by acting as though they are about to jump as long as the defender never crosses into the neutral zone?

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
So because of a friend who lives in Michigan, I've now found myself following MSU and the Lions. I just read about the 2008 Lions, which to me is extremely funny. Also there's a dude called the Megatron which also rules?

I think I understand most of the basics but are passing yards the distance the ball's thrown, plus the distance the receiver runs with it?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Nuclear Spoon posted:

So because of a friend who lives in Michigan, I've now found myself following MSU and the Lions. I just read about the 2008 Lions, which to me is extremely funny. Also there's a dude called the Megatron which also rules?

I think I understand most of the basics but are passing yards the distance the ball's thrown, plus the distance the receiver runs with it?

Probably the easiest way to explain passing yards is "yards gained from scrimmage on passing plays." So yeah, distance through the air plus distance receiver goes.

Where it gets confusing: Sacks are subtracted from a team's passing yards but not from a quarterback's passing yards in the NFL. Whereas in college football sacks are considered negative rushing yards both for the quarterback and team rushing stats (at least this is the way it used to be, someone correct me if the NCAA has changed this).

e: poo poo now I'm not sure I'm right on the individual side in the NFL--someone will surely correct me if I'm wrong.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

DrKennethNoisewater posted:

So is it correct that defenders are allowed to draw the offense into a false start by acting as though they are about to jump as long as the defender never crosses into the neutral zone?

Yeah, if a jump sideways that doesn't infringe the neutral zone makes an offensive lineman flinch, it's a false start.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Grittybeard posted:

Probably the easiest way to explain passing yards is "yards gained from scrimmage on passing plays." So yeah, distance through the air plus distance receiver goes.

Where it gets confusing: Sacks are subtracted from a team's passing yards but not from a quarterback's passing yards in the NFL. Whereas in college football sacks are considered negative rushing yards both for the quarterback and team rushing stats (at least this is the way it used to be, someone correct me if the NCAA has changed this).

e: poo poo now I'm not sure I'm right on the individual side in the NFL--someone will surely correct me if I'm wrong.

All of this information is correct. Also worth mentioning is that the NFL tracks yards after catch (YAC) to give credit to receivers doing all the hard work after the lazy quarterback throws a swing pass.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Declan MacManus posted:

All of this information is correct. Also worth mentioning is that the NFL tracks yards after catch (YAC) to give credit to receivers doing all the hard work after the lazy quarterback throws a swing pass.

Ah, that's neat. I can't actually find any YAC stats on nfl.com though, and everything here is zero? http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving/sort/receivingYardsAfterCatch

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Nuclear Spoon posted:

Ah, that's neat. I can't actually find any YAC stats on nfl.com though, and everything here is zero? http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving/sort/receivingYardsAfterCatch

That's a bit strange. YAC is something that you track from game footage, though, so it's possible they haven't tracked it yet.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Declan MacManus posted:

This is about a college football game, but here's a really nice look at how this is important to remember.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

DrKennethNoisewater posted:

No. There is a specific rule about coming right up and doing something that's deliberately designed to make them jump. Of course, before you call this you have to be absolutely sure that it's egregious enough that the defender can't reasonably* argue "But I was just trying to time my blitz and they didn't snap it!", so the safest thing to do is just tell him to knock it off, and 99% of defenders will only do it until they're told to stop. NFL 4-6-5-d:

quote:

Other examples of action or inaction that are to be construed as delay of the game include, but are not limited to, the following:
a defensive player aligned in a stationary position within one yard of the line of scrimmage makes quick and abrupt actions that are not a part of normal defensive player movement and are an obvious attempt to cause an offensive player(s) to foul (false start). (The Referee shall blow his whistle immediately.)

NCAA 7-1-5:

quote:

The defensive team requirements are as follows:

Each of the following is a dead-ball foul. Officials should blow the whistle and not allow the play to continue. After the ball is ready for play and before the ball is snapped:
Player(s) aligned in a stationary position within one yard of the line of scrimmage may not make quick or abrupt actions that are not part of normal defensive player movement.

*He'll try to argue this anyway, no matter how obvious it was that he was trying to cheat...

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Nuclear Spoon posted:

You picked a good time to start following because both those teams started getting good right after their 2008 seasons!

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Maybe I just don't remember, but was Tagliabue a better commissioner than Goodell? I don't remember there being as much talk about him being a piece of poo poo like people say about Goodell. In fact, I don't remember people talking about him much at all.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Cole posted:

Maybe I just don't remember, but was Tagliabue a better commissioner than Goodell? I don't remember there being as much talk about him being a piece of poo poo like people say about Goodell. In fact, I don't remember people talking about him much at all.

I don't know if he was better for the League or not, but Tagliabue was willing to compromise and work with the NFLPA in order to make sure both sides got things they really wanted in negotiations.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
Where do you guys get your cheap Chinese sweatshop knockoff jerseys nowadays?

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Hey stupid question because I am really :psyduck: as to why the Bolts punted last night.

There's 2 seconds left, and 4th down. The Chargers were up, and elected to punt. The question I have is:

Can a game end on a turnover on downs if said turnover is by the leading team? Obviously we have all seen games end on ToD when it's the team that was down.

I mean, I understand it could just be that the Chargers felt that it was far less risky to just punt the ball than run a 2 second kneel down, but :psyduck:.

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

I started watching the NFL when Flutie left the CFL. I was pretty young at the time, but as I recall in Flutie's second season he led the Bills to the playoffs, and was given the last game of the year off to rest. Rob Johson played well in week 17 and was given the playoff start.

I understand there was a qb controversy between the 2 of them for much of the 2 years leading up to that, but why would you switch your starter right before the playoffs? Was it that Rob had "The Look", or is that only a basketball thing?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Carwash oval office posted:

I started watching the NFL when Flutie left the CFL. I was pretty young at the time, but as I recall in Flutie's second season he led the Bills to the playoffs, and was given the last game of the year off to rest. Rob Johson played well in week 17 and was given the playoff start.

I understand there was a qb controversy between the 2 of them for much of the 2 years leading up to that, but why would you switch your starter right before the playoffs? Was it that Rob had "The Look", or is that only a basketball thing?

Rob Johnson was the original starter and Flutie came in to replace him; Flutie proceeded to win a lot of games (in 1998). Next season (1999) was an open competition, and Flutie won, but Rob Johnson looked really good against a lovely Colts defense when Flutie was resting, so Wade Phillips decided to start him in the playoffs.

The moral of this story is that Wade Phillips is a defensive coach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

JetsGuy posted:

Can a game end on a turnover on downs if said turnover is by the leading team? Obviously we have all seen games end on ToD when it's the team that was down.

I guess I'm sort of curious about this too. My original reaction both when watching the game and afterwards was that they should have snapped the ball and wasted a couple of seconds, barring that snapped to the punter and have him waste a couple of seconds. I couldn't understand why you'd actually go through with kicking it.

• Locked thread