Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Shooting Blanks posted:

How do you clear the ash out of a stove like that? Wait til the next day and use a small shovel? Leafblower?

I used a little broom and dustpan to get the big chunks and a shop-vac to get the finest stuff. During cooking I moved the coals around and scraped the cooking area clean with a flat shovel.

e: image for the new page, shows the actual oven a little better:

large hands fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
want that

really want that

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Tonight I tried a sauce consisting of puree, chopped tomatoes and herbs instead of cheating, and I'm now officially a hero in this house. Thanks! :chef:

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
Yes, t'was a pizza sort of night.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
I'm looking for some sauce advice. Can anybody give me a review of Peter Reinhart's all-purpose marinara sauce (the one made with tomato puree)? I've always spent way more time on my crust than on sauce, preferring to simply use Prego traditional out of the jar, but I do like the way that it tastes.

It'll be going on a NY-style pizza in small quantities. Other sauce recommendations are welcome as well.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
I've been pretty happy with this recipe only reducing the honey quite a bit since it comes out too sweet. It's good and simple, tomato paste base, and if you make it often you can just make a bunch of the spice mix ahead of time to just add a couple teaspoons to each batch. Probably good for about two full sized pizzas if you don't like the sauce heavy.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Killer robot posted:

I've been pretty happy with this recipe only reducing the honey quite a bit since it comes out too sweet. It's good and simple, tomato paste base, and if you make it often you can just make a bunch of the spice mix ahead of time to just add a couple teaspoons to each batch. Probably good for about two full sized pizzas if you don't like the sauce heavy.
I'll definitely try this. Hell, I may make a few recipes and see what works. Some of the pictures of that recipe have about a quart of sauce on one pizza. Weirdos.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
Can of whole plum tomatoes, salt, pepper, oregano, basil, marjoram, parsley, thyme, a little rosemary, a little sugar, a splash of balsamic vinegar and evoo, clove of garlic, shake of hot pepper flakes. Hit it with a stick blender until desired chunkiness. Taste and adjust. I don't cook this.

hunto
Mar 7, 2006

FLLMGHUULLLLAAAAHHH!!
I'm surprised I didn't stumble upon this thread sooner. I just finished a pie last night I was really happy with. Been dicking around with neapolitan style pizza for about a year. I use a Char Griller Kamado Kooker at 700F with a Fibrament-D. Reinhards 3 day cold rise using Caputo 00. DOP canned marzano with bocancini.. Bufalo is bit more expensive in my neck of the woods.

Anyway I have learned a lot in the process. I was stubborn to buy the Fibrament but it has definitely made the biggest difference. Cooking on lovely stones at 700 just doesn't work and is borderline dangerous IMO. The difference between 550 from the oven and 700 from the bbq is huge, in terms of the texture of crust you get.

I feel I have the classic crust figured out now, I will start to mess around with different variations of toppings and I'm going to move over to playing around with pan/greek style pizza's that are popular in my hometown.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Where my beer crust bros at? My absolute favorite homemade pizzas I've made used really hoppy India Pale Ales. Sierra Nevada Torpedo is available pretty much everywhere in the USA and is great, but 3 Floyds Alpha King or Dogfish Head 60-minute IPA are pure magic if you're lucky enough to be able to find them.

I use this recipe, from this site

quote:

Makes 4 10-inch pizzas
5 cups all purpose flour
1 Tablespoon sugar or honey
2 teaspoons salt (or 3 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt)
1 teaspoon instant yeast
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 3/4 to 2 cups room-temperature water

Only I cut out the sugar/honey, and use beer instead of water. Plus, this means I have about half a bottle left for drinking :D

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Jmcrofts posted:

Where my beer crust bros at? My absolute favorite homemade pizzas I've made used really hoppy India Pale Ales. Sierra Nevada Torpedo is available pretty much everywhere in the USA and is great, but 3 Floyds Alpha King or Dogfish Head 60-minute IPA are pure magic if you're lucky enough to be able to find them.

I use this recipe, from this site

Only I cut out the sugar/honey, and use beer instead of water. Plus, this means I have about half a bottle left for drinking :D
...which (along with the sauce recipe on that page) is originally taken* from American Pie by Peter Reinhart. It's worth picking up for the stories at the beginning about the author's travels around the world searching for the perfect slice blah blah. The last 2/3 of the book is dough prep techniques, dough and sauce recipes, etc. this is nice to have as well.

I like your idea, though, and I'll have to try using beer the next time I make more dough to freeze.

* It should be noted that while I don't know how much of a difference it makes with a thin crispy crust to use one or the other, the original recipe calls for unbleached high-gluten or bread flour, not AP.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I made pizza tonight. It was the first time I've tried anything remotely like it, I haven't even really done a great deal of real cooking before.

It turned out reasonably well:

However the base was a little doughy/soggy on top still, under the toppings. Is fixing this just a case of putting it lower in the oven? I cranked my oven up to the highest it would go which is about 280° Celsius.

Also the first pizza I put in, I put too much topping on, it overspilled, and my stone has split nicely in half:

I was still able to use it for the second pizza though, I just slotted the two halves together in the oven.

One thing that's puzzled me a bit is how the hell you're supposed to get a really thin crust pizza onto a stone. I have a wooden chopping board, I covered it with cornflour and just about managed to get my somewhat thin pizza onto the stone, is there any special technique to getting REALLY thin pizzas in there?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
RE: sogginess, you probably used too much sauce. For thin-crust pizza it's important you use a small amount of sauce spread really thing. This helps the crust not be soggy, plus makes it so the cheese doesn't come off in one big clump when you bite it.

Also, did you use fresh mozzarella? If so it's important you get the moisture out. A good way is to wrap the slices in paper towels and put a weighted plate on top.

As for getting it to slide off the peel/cutting board. just make sure you are generous with cornmeal or semolina on the board, and after every single step give it a shake to keep things moving.

western eyes
Nov 5, 2011

WhatEvil posted:

One thing that's puzzled me a bit is how the hell you're supposed to get a really thin crust pizza onto a stone. I have a wooden chopping board, I covered it with cornflour and just about managed to get my somewhat thin pizza onto the stone, is there any special technique to getting REALLY thin pizzas in there?
Parchment paper will have less friction. You can just flick the cutting board forward real quick and it will slide right off, and when you're pulling it out, you can just grab the edge of the paper. I still use cornmeal when I'm shaping the dough because dough sticking to the paper is a gigantic pain.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
WhatEvil, your crust looks a bit thick too, so if you like that thickness for crust it needs to bake a bit longer (maybe at slightly lower heat so it doesn't scorch before the crust cooks through). Otherwise try stretching the dough thinner. If it won't stay stretched out thinner, just let the dough relax a bit before stretching it further.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

WhatEvil posted:

Yes, ditch the cornmeal and just use regular bread flour. Sprinkle the flour onto the peel and rub it into the nooks and crannies of the wood. This provides a much "slicker" surface than cormeal will, since the flour gets into all of the wood texture and wants to stick to the board, allowing the (also floured) dough to slide right off. Make sure you're using enough bench flour. You probably need to use more than you would think.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
I got a bag of rice flour to use to keep crust from sticking, and it's pretty amazing. Works better than either cornmeal or wheat flour, makes no discernible taste.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Yeah I realised after I posted that I forgot to press/drain the mozzarella which is probably a huge contributing factor. All good tips though, thanks guys.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

WhatEvil posted:

I made pizza tonight. It was the first time I've tried anything remotely like it, I haven't even really done a great deal of real cooking before.

It turned out reasonably well:

However the base was a little doughy/soggy on top still, under the toppings. Is fixing this just a case of putting it lower in the oven? I cranked my oven up to the highest it would go which is about 280° Celsius.

Also the first pizza I put in, I put too much topping on, it overspilled, and my stone has split nicely in half:

I was still able to use it for the second pizza though, I just slotted the two halves together in the oven.

That cheap stone did the same thing to me, I think its a cheap manufacturing process that results in pockets that reduce survivability.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

western eyes posted:

Parchment paper will have less friction. You can just flick the cutting board forward real quick and it will slide right off, and when you're pulling it out, you can just grab the edge of the paper. I still use cornmeal when I'm shaping the dough because dough sticking to the paper is a gigantic pain.

Would it be OK to just slide the pizza on the paper into the oven, does it have to make physical contact with the stone?

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Industrial revolution has flipped the bitch on evolution.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Would it be OK to just slide the pizza on the paper into the oven, does it have to make physical contact with the stone?

Absolutely. Leave the pizza on the parchment paper when it goes into the oven. I do this with every single one of my (fabulous) pizzas. Parchment won't catch fire. The worst that it ever does is brown and get kinda crispy around the edges. It won't affect your obtaining a nice, golden-brown crust in any way.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
I usually parbake my crust for 2-3 minutes on the stone with parchment under it, remove the whole thing and assemble the pizza still on the parchment, then slide the pizza off of the peel + parchment and onto the stone.

If you plan on leaving the parchment in the oven, it helps to trim the excess. It'll be fine at normal household oven temps (500 degF), in my experience.

I love parchment paper for baking.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Walk Away posted:

It won't affect your obtaining a nice, golden-brown crust in any way.

Really? This sounds way freaking easier than trying to slide my pie out into a roaring hot oven. The parchment doesn't act as a vapor barrier in any significant way? I thought the "porous stone wicking action" was half of the magic, is this a myth like searing to seal in juices?

western eyes
Nov 5, 2011

Yeah, that's what I do, the weight of the pizza carries the paper with it off the cutting board. Parchment paper's real thin so it doesn't interfere with the heat of the stone, and any run-of-the-mill brand should do fine at 500.

Hed posted:

The parchment doesn't act as a vapor barrier in any significant way?

I've never had a problem with that while it's in the oven (my crusts are always plenty crispy), but I have noticed that after taking my pizzas out, if I leave them on the parchment while they cool, some condensation will collect under the pizza. This still doesn't majorly affect the crust, but it's something I've noticed. So parchment paper works for me but I'm sure there's room for someone to do a comparison.

western eyes fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 12, 2012

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Hed posted:

Really? This sounds way freaking easier than trying to slide my pie out into a roaring hot oven. The parchment doesn't act as a vapor barrier in any significant way? I thought the "porous stone wicking action" was half of the magic, is this a myth like searing to seal in juices?

I've never had a problem. I would imagine that any moisture would go right through the paper and into the stone anyway. But I do agree that you should trim the paper around the pizza. I do the same. You don't want big chunks to darken and crumble all over your oven (or worse, onto your pizza). Try it. I promise you won't be disappointed.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Anybody seen this yet? Looks pretty neat

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/09/the-pizza-lab-the-baking-steel-delivers.html

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

To add to parchment chat, make sure you actually use parchment and not waxed paper.

If the waxed paper doesn't catch fire, it makes a mess and melts to the bottom of the crust. Ask me how I know :smith:

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
Why does the Batali pizza dough recipe from the first page use so much more yeast than the other recipes I've seen, including the one in the OP, or the ones at Crepes of Wrath?

mindphlux posted:

Mario Batali’s Pizza Dough
Published: August 16, 2007

¼ cup white wine

¾ cup warm water

1 ½ ounces yeast

1 tablespoon honey

1 teaspoon kosher salt

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

3 cups all-purpose flour

Compared to:

"Casu Marzu" posted:

4 1/2 cups (20.25 ounces) unbleached high-gluten, bread, or all-purpose flour, chilled
1 3/4 (.44 ounce) teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon (.11 ounce) instant yeast
1/4 cup (2 ounces) olive oil (optional)
1 3/4 cups (14 ounces) water, ice cold (40°F)
Semolina flour

Is the bread yeast Batali uses different from the Fleishmann's ActiveDry yeast I can get at the grocery store? What's the difference?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Fleetwood posted:

Why does the Batali pizza dough recipe from the first page use so much more yeast than the other recipes I've seen, including the one in the OP, or the ones at Crepes of Wrath?

Compared to:

Is the bread yeast Batali uses different from the Fleishmann's ActiveDry yeast I can get at the grocery store? What's the difference?

It's because my recipe is something you let ferment overnight in the fridge. The longer you let a dough rise, the less yeast you need to do so.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Casu Marzu posted:

It's because my recipe is something you let ferment overnight in the fridge. The longer you let a dough rise, the less yeast you need to do so.

It is a wonderful recipe, by the way. I use it every time.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

nmfree posted:

To add to parchment chat, make sure you actually use parchment and not waxed paper.

If the waxed paper doesn't catch fire, it makes a mess and melts to the bottom of the crust. Ask me how I know :smith:

I'm a bit unfamiliar with american terms here. The paper I would use translated to "oven paper" or "baking paper" and is meant to be used for baking in the oven, I got another paper that's called "butter paper" which is meant for 'cold' applications only. I use that for things like separating burger patties and whatnot.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Fleetwood posted:

I assume Mario is calling for cake yeast (i.e. yeast that comes in the form of a wet cake) as opposed to dry yeast, because to get 1.5oz of dry yeast would require 6 packets, which seems like way too much to me.

...or maybe not, v:shobon:v

Nebula
Dec 30, 2004

nmfree posted:

I assume Mario is calling for cake yeast (i.e. yeast that comes in the form of a wet cake) as opposed to dry yeast, because to get 1.5oz of dry yeast would require 6 packets, which seems like way too much to me.

...or maybe not, v:shobon:v

Gotta be fresh yeast, but it is still a ridiculous amount of instant if you do the conversion. Like 5.5tsp if I did the math right.

Celebrity chefs and yeast don't get along.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Nebula posted:

Gotta be fresh yeast, but it is still a ridiculous amount of instant if you do the conversion. Like 5.5tsp if I did the math right.

Celebrity chefs and yeast don't get along.

So celebrity chefs are vaginas?

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

I'm a bit unfamiliar with american terms here. The paper I would use translated to "oven paper" or "baking paper" and is meant to be used for baking in the oven, I got another paper that's called "butter paper" which is meant for 'cold' applications only. I use that for things like separating burger patties and whatnot.
Yep, you've got it right.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

So I've been making a mental list of different pizza related things to try - beer crust, 00 flour, a couple of different dough recipes, but I'm also thinking about trying the "skillet and broiler" method that this guy talks about : http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/09/how-to-make-great-neapolitan-pizza-at-home.html

Essentially you just heat a skillet on your gas burner, wait for your broiler/grill to heat up, whack your dough in your skillet, put the toppings on while it's in there, then put it straight under the broiler.

Now I don't have a skillet, but I do have a nice big wok. The wok isn't particularly thick metal though, do you guys think this would still work if I put it on the largest burner at full heat, or is it not even worth trying without a thick and heavy skillet?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

WhatEvil posted:

So I've been making a mental list of different pizza related things to try - beer crust, 00 flour, a couple of different dough recipes, but I'm also thinking about trying the "skillet and broiler" method that this guy talks about : http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/09/how-to-make-great-neapolitan-pizza-at-home.html

Essentially you just heat a skillet on your gas burner, wait for your broiler/grill to heat up, whack your dough in your skillet, put the toppings on while it's in there, then put it straight under the broiler.

Now I don't have a skillet, but I do have a nice big wok. The wok isn't particularly thick metal though, do you guys think this would still work if I put it on the largest burner at full heat, or is it not even worth trying without a thick and heavy skillet?

It won't retain as much heat as a think heavy skillet, but I'd still give it a try. Make sure your crust isn't too thick or otherwise the bottom will be undercooked.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Yeah I think for the most part the underside of the base is supposed to cook while putting your toppings onto the dough.

I thought I could do a triple whammy and heat my (now broken) pizza stone in the oven, then pre-heat the wok, put the dough into the wok, put my toppings on, then put my wok under my grill and on top of my pizza stone, so that way it's getting direct heat from underneath from the wok, then direct heat from on top and stored heat from both the pizza stone and the wok from underneath once I put it into the oven/under the grill.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

WhatEvil posted:

Yeah I think for the most part the underside of the base is supposed to cook while putting your toppings onto the dough.

I thought I could do a triple whammy and heat my (now broken) pizza stone in the oven, then pre-heat the wok, put the dough into the wok, put my toppings on, then put my wok under my grill and on top of my pizza stone, so that way it's getting direct heat from underneath from the wok, then direct heat from on top and stored heat from both the pizza stone and the wok from underneath once I put it into the oven/under the grill.

Goodamn just get a cast iron skillet for like 20 bucks if you want to do it that way: http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L10SK3-12-Inch-Pre-Seasoned-Skillet/dp/B00006JSUB/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347645939&sr=8-1&keywords=cast+iron. That seems like way too much trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

OK so I think I've actually got it nailed more or less with the equipment that I've got. I used my lovely pizza stone again but it seemed to turn out well this time.

I have an electric oven with an electric grill in there, that goes up to 280° Celsius according to the dial, which is about 530°F. I preheated the oven and stone for about 45 minutes beforehand, then I switched the electric grill in the top of the oven on.

I made the dough from earlier in this thread with the wine and honey (Is this Varasano's recipe? Can't remember) with half amounts, and this gives me enough for 2 medium size pizzas. The first one I just tried using small amounts of sauce and cheese, and I remembered to drain/press the mozzarella this time. I made it on my chopping board which I'd covered in regular flour, which I rubbed into the grain of the wood, then a thin layer of cornmeal on top of this since I actually like it on the underside of my base. I made it all up on the board and slid the whole thing onto the oven. It was better than the last ones I did the base was still just slightly soggy on top.

For the second pizza I put the base in the oven with no toppings for 3-4 minutes, using the grill again, then took the stone out and put sauce and cheese on - I had to use cheddar this time since I didn't buy enough mozzarella. It turned out drat near perfect, or at least as good as I'm ever likely to get with this oven/these temperatures. The base was nice and crispy underneath, and nice and chewy on top, without being soggy at all. I think next time I will roll the dough slightly thinner though.

Based on my (admittedly very limited) experience I would absolutely recommend that people with an oven which only goes up to 500-550°F that you put the base in first sans toppings, take it back out of the oven after 3-5 mins, top it and put it back in for another 5 mins or so.

I still might try getting a skillet or a baking steel though, since I'm always down for experimentation to make things just that little bit better.