Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euthy
Sep 26, 2007

May you and your family live without suffering, but for the rest... Thanks for not breeding VHEMT
Grimey Drawer
Looks like Baruto was limping around after his victory against Aioyama - was he hurt during his miscalled loss on day 1? Talk about adding insult to injury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Great day for sumo, although no major surprises. Kisenosato's inability to be thrown off balance amazes me more the longer I watch him. Not counting Harumafuji's recent resurgence, I had always thought Baruto had the best shot at being the next Yokozuna. But now, between Kisenosato's rock solid technique and being the only rikishi with Hakuho's number, and Baruto's inconsistency, Kisenosato definitely has the better shot long term.

Interesting shove by Myogiryu. Homasho is a class act and didn't come aggressively off of that false start. No reason to be pissed at the end of that match.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Funkysauce posted:

Way better stuff today! Again I don't know why there was a monoii and they STILL couldn't make the right call, but either way it was more exciting sumo today.

I dunno, you have to remember that they don't have the benefit of slow-mo replays and even with the slow-mo it was kinda hard to tell. Good day today, though. All of my dudes won. Aminishiki is pretty inconsistent but he is a joy to watch when he's on. Seeing Harumafuji demonstrate his power is always fun too.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
I've only been watching for a year, but still, that was the best day 2 I've ever seen. There were a lot of really good matches.

I also noticed Baruto's limp, but I can't tell if it's an actual injury or not. It could go either way, but I think it's pretty safe to say that Baruto is not in top condition for this tournament. Hopefully he still has a few good matches and shakes things up at the top even if he doesn't end up with an amazing win record. I don't see him going kadoban.

I really wish he were more consistent, though. I think he could make a great Yokozuna.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?
Day Three!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJKdZ-PcWnw

Takanoyama never looked like he was gonna get it under control after he slipped, shame.

Chiyotairyuu seemed to do the same thing as the sumo listed above, slippery dohyo?

Ha, Just Winging It, same observations!

Funkysauce fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Sep 11, 2012

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Chiyotairyuu's eagerness continues to blow up in his face. The impression I get from this bout and several others is that the dohyo is quite slippery, although it seems to affect the stronger rikishi less.

Kisenosato at least didn't seem to have a problem.

Harumafuji keeps his streak going by bulldozering Shohozan out once he got his hands on him.

Kotooushuu keeps being utterly bland and is probably heading for yet another 9-6 or 8-7 finish.

Baruto keeps getting raw deals on referee decisions, seemed to me that Gagamaru touched down well before him, but the judges somehow decided differently, and Baruto promptly loses the rematch. Besides that, he seems to be limping a bit and I sure hope that that nasty knee injury he had way back when he first entered Makuuchi hasn't come back to haunt him.

E;f,b.

Just Winging It fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 11, 2012

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Poor Baruto getting the poo poo end of everything this basho. That was a :swoon: win, then he has it taken away and hurts himself the second time.

Harumafuji is lucky that Shouhozan was in full-advance mode when he charged him like that, considering how many others fell flat on their face trying to push forward like that.

Best win of the day was Homasho fo'sho. Both of his wins have been extremely impressive, and Kotoshogiku usually has his number. Mancrush reaching epic proportions...

Fryhtaning fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 11, 2012

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
not that i should be surprised or anything, but hakuho has looked seriously impressive in his last two bouts. both competitors didn't really do anything wrong but he held his ground perfectly under strong advances and exploited weaknesses that were barely there. after last basho you can tell he really really wants this one.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Fryhtaning posted:

Poor Baruto getting the poo poo end of everything this basho.

This exactly. I think that first loss really hurt his morale, and now he's definitely done for. It's almost like the refs have it out for him.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
A request from the gallery: could the first commenter or two after each video use their spoiler tags such that they leave the match names visible and the comments spoiled? I try to follow along with folks' commentary as I watch, but when it's all in one spoiler tag or the names aren't visible it's easy to unintentionally read ahead.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Mornacale posted:

A request from the gallery: could the first commenter or two after each video use their spoiler tags such that they leave the match names visible and the comments spoiled? I try to follow along with folks' commentary as I watch, but when it's all in one spoiler tag or the names aren't visible it's easy to unintentionally read ahead.

You mean like how Funkysauce did it?

That is an excellent idea. I shall make haste in following suit.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Oh you meant leave the comments spoilered, not spoiled. Derp.

Fryhtaning fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 11, 2012

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Fryhtaning posted:

You mean like how Funkysauce did it?

That is an excellent idea. I shall make haste in following suit.

I mean the opposite of how Funkysauce did it, so you can see who was in the match and then go read the hidden comments after you watch the result.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Day 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmhlgcLMWWY.

Kyokutenhou, managed to get another win, already doubling his score from last basho. Wonder what's making him so erratic.

Takayasu, has a considerably better start this basho compared to Nagoya, winning his fourth in a row now.

Aoiyama, loses again, now to Goueidou, demonstrating that he hasn't really got what it takes to compete at this rank. Furthermore, he doesn't really seem to be performing well despite those losses anyway.

Tochinoshin, really is in the same boat as Aoiyama.

Harumafuji, blitzes Kaisei and just the impact of his tachiai seems enough to win it.

Homashou, bags his second ozeki of the basho by beating Kakuryuu with a commanding performance.

Baruto, sadly pulled out with an injury, hopefully he'll be fully recovered next basho.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
wow, two ozeki down to injury already. you'd have to think this benefits harumafuji to a degree, but then again neither of them have really been quite on his level lately anyway.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Just Winging It posted:

Kyokutenhou, managed to get another win, already doubling his score from last basho. Wonder what's making him so erratic.

Amazing how much better you wrestle when you don't even have to wrestle Ozeki, isn't it? He was M7 when he yusho'd, and he only had to wrestle one Ozeki, Kotooshu (which is like wrestling another M7). Then he went to M1, where he had to wrestle all 6 Ozeki and Hakuho, losing to every one of them. Now he's back down to M11, where he may not have to wrestle any Ozeki at all. He is in the same boat as Tochinoshin, Aoiyama, Gagamaru in that he can dominate the rank-and-filers but stands no chance against the top.

Just Winging It posted:

Homashou, bags his second ozeki of the basho by beating Kakuryuu with a commanding performance.

'at's my boy!

Shouhozan sure is impressing this tournament, and finally has a scalp to show for it. Even if it was the sorry excuse of an Ozeki himself, Kotooshu.

Edit: Also, I think these injuries hurt Harumafuji, especially if he is the runner-up. a 14-1 or 13-2 runner-up record would be a fairly slim chance as it is, but if two of those wins were freebies against Ozeki, I think the council would weigh that against him. Kotoshogiku might be back in time for his matchup with Harumafuji, though.

Fryhtaning fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Sep 12, 2012

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?

Mornacale posted:

I mean the opposite of how Funkysauce did it, so you can see who was in the match and then go read the hidden comments after you watch the result.

Yeah after I read this I was like, "I'm braindead." Sorry! Will follow the new method!

Baruto, that didn't seem to be a shock as he was limping after his first match, hopefully he recovers.

Harumafuji looks like a world beater, hope he can keep it up.

Takanoyama super exciting first match! Too bad it ended up the wrong way for him.

Funkysauce fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Sep 12, 2012

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
This is only the second basho I've watched, but compared to the last one it seems everyone has been way more wild in the ring. It's been pretty entertaining.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
So if an Ozeki pulls out this early, does that mean they automatically go kadoban? I'm guessing yes, but figured I'd ask to be sure.

The top hasn't been very exciting so far, but the bottom of makuuchi has been really lively and entertaining the last few days.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

seorin posted:

So if an Ozeki pulls out this early, does that mean they automatically go kadoban? I'm guessing yes, but figured I'd ask to be sure.

I'm not sure. I thought yes, but maybe they give special consideration to serious injuries. In 11/2002 and 1/2003 Kaio went 2-2-11 and 0-0-15 and got to keep his Ozeki rank. I guess if it's all from the same injury, you're not kadoban until you come back from the injury. Has anyone ever injured themselves two separate times in two consecutive basho and not been demoted?

Kaio was also hurt in another two consecutive basho in 2007, but won 8 before bowing out in the first, so there wasn't a losing record in that case.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Take Tochiazuma for instance, pulling out of the July 2002 tournament with an injury, missing the next altogether but keeps his ozeki rank. Same story again in January 2003, gets injured, pulls out, misses next tournament, but keeps his rank. In March 2004 he pulls out yet again, misses the next basho, and gets demoted to sekiwake but promptly wins promotion back to ozeki in July. He contests a few bouts in the September basho and pulls out, repeats this for November, and finds himself back as a sekiwake in January 2005.

The key thing that seems to have changed is that the rule (公傷制度; koushou seido, Public Injury System) under which a rikishi that sustained an injury incurred during a basho could miss the next one without it affecting his rank was abolished in late 2003.

Just Winging It fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 12, 2012

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Just Winging It posted:

The key thing that seems to have changed is that the rule (公傷制度; koushou seido, Public Injury System) under which a rikishi that sustained an injury incurred during a basho could miss the next one without it affecting his rank was abolished in late 2003.
Yeah, this is what enabled guys to keep their rank despite consecutive losing records. I don't think there was ever much independent checking on whether the wrestlers were suffering from injuries or 'injuries', so the system gave guys having a bad basho an occasional Get Out Of Jail Free card if they could convincingly feign having a bad knee.

Now that it's gone, injured ozeki automatically go kadoban (and get demoted if they're still injured) and everyone else slides down the rankings, with the matches they missed being counted as losses. I don't think it's come up yet about what happens if a yokozuna is injured for more than a basho or two; I guess he'd be pressured into retiring.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Day 5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Kv_yePRNW0.

In Wakakoyu v Takarafuji, the judges get it right for a change, which is always nice.

Chiyotairyuu, is really having issues with his balance it seems. This is the third time he's basically handed the win away with an overeager lunge.

Okinoumi, manages to keep his streak alive with a nice reversal.

Houmashou, seemed unfazed by Takekaze's attacks and wraps it up nicely. It would've been a shame if his wins against the ozeki's wouldn't been negated by a losing to maegashira. Still, with Harumafuji lined up for day 6, he's got his work cut out for him.

Kotooushuu, loses his third bout already, and so surprisingly, is probably out of contention for the yusho by day 5. Furthermore, as he seemed a bit hurt afterward, I wouldn't be surprised if he pulled out of the basho as well.

Kyokutenhou, demonstrates again that he can handle the lower maegashira's without much problems. I'm just slightly annoyed by the numerous rikishi that perform well enough to stand out from the maegashira crowd and rise up to the upper regions/komusubi/sekiwake only to be curb-stomped by the ozeki and yokozuna.

Also, yesterdays win netted Hakuhou his 600th Makuuchi win in just over 700 bouts.

Just Winging It fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 13, 2012

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

What a great day of sumo. A lot of tense moments near the edge and a few tense moments with throws.

Toyonoshima - Pure schadenfreude in seeing Kotooshu's arm nearly ripped off by someone half his size

Kyokutenho - Has obviously been taking tips from the Chinese badminton team. It's almost as if he tanked last basho on purpose so he'd have his best chance at another yusho by plunging as far as possible before then

Kisenosato - There's that ridiculous balance again - withstanding some huge chest bumps from Gagamaru before turning it around and easily pushing him out.

Myogiryu - Thassa future Ozeki right there.

And of course, Homasho mah boy!

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Fryhtaning posted:

What a great day of sumo. A lot of tense moments near the edge and a few tense moments with throws.

Toyonoshima - Pure schadenfreude in seeing Kotooshu's arm nearly ripped off by someone half his size

Kyokutenho - Has obviously been taking tips from the Chinese badminton team. It's almost as if he tanked last basho on purpose so he'd have his best chance at another yusho by plunging as far as possible before then

Kisenosato - There's that ridiculous balance again - withstanding some huge chest bumps from Gagamaru before turning it around and easily pushing him out.

Myogiryu - Thassa future Ozeki right there.

And of course, Homasho mah boy!

i was thinking the exact same thing about kyokutenho. honestly, in most of his bouts last basho he didn't even look like he was trying

also was thinking the exact same thing about myogiryuu

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
I've been pulling for Myogiryu since I first noticed him 2-3 tournaments ago. I really hope he keeps it up.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Day 6: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN3s4X-qvT8.

Takanoyama, scores a nice win against Tamawashi, showing that he's capable of good sumo. Pity though that he usually can't bring it to the table.

Chiyotairyuu, doesn't leap in recklessly for a change and bags a nice win. As long as he keeps that in mind he could do well.

Kyokutenhou v Okinoumi, as attractive as the theory about Kyokutenhou following the example of the Chinese badminton team is, the Olympics didn't until well after the July basho was over. Regardless, it does seem to be working out for him as he bags another win.

Myougiryuu, beats Aran without much trouble, keeping his streak alive. Furthermore, with two ozeki's already pulled out and kadoban next basho, he's really putting in his application for a promotion, and if he keeps going like this in this and the next basho, he really has a good chance of being an ozeki coming the January 2013 basho.

Speaking of ozeki, Kotooushuu, pulled out as well as I predicted yesterday. That makes three ozeki's in danger of demotion next basho and personally, I'd love to see the bland Bulgarian replaced with Myogiryuu asap.

Harumafuji v Houmashou, sadly Houmashou didn't make it particularly difficult for Harumafuji. Still, with another ozeki gone, he probably really needs to come runner-up with a 13-2 or 14-1 record at the minimum for his promotion.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
Agreed on your thoughts, Just Winging It.

Aran really needs to get away from his more Greco-Roman stance in the dohyo. He is leading with his arms and leaving himself open to armlocks or having his opponent push his arms up and go for his belt in doing so. He'd be much better served keeping his arms in and moving forward toward his opponent instead of this lovely wait-and-see sumo he's currently employing.

Gagamaru just needs to gently caress off back to training and lose some weight and learn what the hell balance and center of gravity are. He's doing himself a major disservice being so large that he can't effectively use his arms (or at all).

Aoiyama needs to learn to use his height to his advantage instead of letting his opponents use it against him. He does the same thing Baruto does on occasion and stands up too straight, allowing smaller opponents to get under his CoG and push him around. Getting his arms constantly locked doesn't help either. Aoiyama needs to get and stay lower and use his longer reach on smaller opponents (which is 2/3rds of them) to keep them from getting under him and onto his belt.

Kisenosato is doing extremely well. I love watching him dig his feet in before the tachi-ai. It gets me pumped to watch him wrestle.

In short, physics, how does that work!

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Takanoyama is kind of like the court jester. He's not particularly effective and stands out as looking unusual, but he can be a hell of a crowd pleaser.

I don't like seeing Kaisei getting two freebies. He's a decent threat and I'd hate to see him sneak in with a yusho or jun-yusho once the top 6 start tearing each other apart.

Kisenosato has not made a single drat mistake so far. He is rock solid. I will not be surprised if he takes Hakuho out this time around

Harumafuji still winning, but somehow still looks like he's flying by the seat of his pants. I have a feeling he's going to lose one of his next few matches.

Of course, I wasn't actually implicating that Kyokutenho was directly copying the badminton team, but it was the first example that came to mind. Corruption via throwing games for the sake of matchups has been around forever.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

so i found this thread two nights ago and i loving love sumo now, y'all've done an incredible job putting down the information i need to understand these Kintamayama youtube videos

i guess takanoyama must really love sumo, to not have chosen another less weight-intensive form of wrestling. was he just assuming he'd start being able to put on weight at some point, but it never happened? or can skinny sumos make it, as a career choice? nevertheless he seems pretty well regarded, and has looked pretty skillful to me i guess

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

oystertoadfish posted:

so i found this thread two nights ago and i loving love sumo now, y'all've done an incredible job putting down the information i need to understand these Kintamayama youtube videos

i guess takanoyama must really love sumo, to not have chosen another less weight-intensive form of wrestling. was he just assuming he'd start being able to put on weight at some point, but it never happened? or can skinny sumos make it, as a career choice? nevertheless he seems pretty well regarded, and has looked pretty skillful to me i guess

Yeah it's crazy that a guy who's basically normal sized competes in Sumo at the highest level tournaments.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

oystertoadfish posted:

Welcome to the thread!

If all you have seen thus far are the digests, I'd encourage you to look up and watch a few full matches (sound and all) to really get a sense for the buildup and anticipation. It's just loving awesome how much goes on before it's over in 5 or 10 seconds. You'll know if it's a full match because it'll be a 5+ minute video for one single matchup. Watch anything of Hakuho vs Asashoryu, or any combination of Hakuho/Asashoryu versus Kisenosato, Homasho, Ama/Harumafuji, or otherwise any ozeki or yokozuna in general, to really get an appreciation.

Takanoyama is loved for his amazing kimarite and because everyone loves an underdog, even if he's barely cutting it at the makuuchi level. There is no doubt that he is just too small, though. Harumafuji is about as small as a dominating rikishi comes, at 275 lbs. Taka easily needs another 40lbs to do well.

Edit:

Scipiotik posted:

Yeah it's crazy that a guy who's basically normal sized competes in Sumo at the highest level tournaments.

The crazy thing is that he is 6'1 and 222 lbs of solid muscle. He'd be a tight end on a college football team.

Fryhtaning fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 14, 2012

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
I agree with Fryhtaning's thoughts on today's matches. However, I don't really think that Kyokutenho was sandbagging last basho. A hell of a lot of rikishi that spend a lot of time in makuuchi can't hang with the ozeki, so they sort of oscillate up and down. They also tend to be remarkably inconsistent, sometimes having an amazing basho and other times doing extremely well. Take Takayasu, for example. He also did terrible last basho and now he's undefeated. Either that's just an unusual facet of sumo, or it's very common for rikishi of that rank to sandbag. Neither would surprise me, but I don't think just accusing Kyokutenho of throwing last basho is telling the whole story.

I think Myogiryu is lucky he faced Aran today, because he looked like he came close to losing in his trademark way. He starts out well by anticipating the probable henka, but right before the end he almost falls to Aran's slapdown. He doesn't seem to put enough strength into staying upright, preferring to put his weight forward instead, and that can often cost him a match against a slippery opponent.

oystertoadfish posted:

i guess takanoyama must really love sumo, to not have chosen another less weight-intensive form of wrestling. was he just assuming he'd start being able to put on weight at some point, but it never happened? or can skinny sumos make it, as a career choice?

Both. There have been some skinny rikishi that did very well in the past (I think even yokozuna), but Takanoyama has also been trying unsuccessfully to put on more weight. He just can't seem to do it. I even heard one rumor that he got in trouble for steroid use after starting to get desperate over his difficulties in weight gain.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Jesus, this tournament keeps getting better and better. Some thoughts after watching day 6:

Chiyotairyuu: I have to say, I'm pretty impressed with this guy. Despite being significantly weakened by diabetes (he lost 20 kilos for gently caress's sake) he's still hanging in there. He's going to be great with more experience.

Aminishiki: Looks to be having a good tournament and I think he could bring some trouble to some of the contenders. Of course that's always a possibility with him. He might not always have a great record, but it's foolish to underestimate him on a match to match basis.

Kyokutenho: Having an excellent tournament and looking really good. Comparing this tournament to last tournament is just mind-boggling.

Harumafuji: He has two things going for him that I think will push him to the top this tournament. The first is his health. If he keeps healthy, he is so loving good. The second is confidence. Going undefeated so far will help him push through in tougher matches, I think. Confidence is such a big part of doing well in sumo. Harumafuji has both now so I think he's really going to rip poo poo up.

And finally, Takanoyama: While there have been some relatively light yokozuna, the lightest in modern times were all around 120 or 130kgs. Takanoyama is at about 101kg now. Takanoyama has some good matches where he can outsmart or out-technique people but even in those matches like today, he still gets thrown around like a rag doll. He just doesn't have the weight or strength to stand his ground like other relatively light rikishi such as Harumafuji. I suspect he'll ping-pong back and forth between juryo and makuuchi until he retires, his metabolism slows down, or he just finds some way to gain more weight (COUGHdrugsCOUGH). Or maybe he'll surprise us all and stay skinny but improve his technique to the level that his weight isn't a problem. Probably won't happen, though.

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention this site: https://www.sumoreference.com It's really good for comparing rikishi throughout history. While you can do some pretty thorough queries, the system confuses the hell out of me and I just stumble through it until I can find what I want. Also, Takanoyama didn't use steroids. When he couldn't gain weight, his oyakata injected him with insulin he had for his diabetes, which sounds insanely dangerous.

Dr.Radical fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 14, 2012

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
I think it was insulin he got warned about, actually. Covered in the post above. But yeah, the guy seems to have serious trouble putting on any weight at all. Which normally most people would kill for, but is actually a hindrance to his career.

In regards to small guys doing well, Mainoumi (a man so short at 5'7 1/2" he required an extremely painful and controversial scalp implant to reach the minimum fighting height for professional tournaments) reached komusubi rank and was widely regarded as one of the more exciting wrestlers to watch. He was hurt (and some thought retired permanently through injury) when a massive wrestler weighing over 270 kilos fell on him and destroyed one of his knees. A match, ironically, that he won. He came back after almost 20 months but wasn't the same. Has one of the best nicknames ever in "Department Store of Technique", given to him for his ability to use many different kimarite to win his matches. Also first modern era wrestler to win via the mitokorozeme (triple-attack) kimarite, which involves simultaneously grabbing one leg, inside tripping the other leg and headbutting your opponent to force them down. Currently announces for NHK's sumo broadcasts, I believe.

I don't specifically recall any other very small guys, but I'm sure they've been around.

edit: That'll teach me to not refresh before posting.

Pvt. Public fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 14, 2012

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
I must have either misremembered or heard it wrong in the first place. Thanks for the corrections!

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
As far as light weight and succesfull rikishi go, Chiyonofuji stands out the most probably. 31 tournaments won, hitting yokozuna at 115kg and averaging about 120ish for the rest of his career.

Day 7: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8S5nLg5K8A.

Takanoyama, continues to demonstrate his skill. But yeah, nthing what all the people above said.

Tochinoshin, finally wins a bout, demonstrating once more that he one of the pack that's better than most maegashira, but not enough to compete with the big guns.

Myougiryuu, didn't seem that confident today, but still performed well enough to slam the door shut on Kaisei's hopes for the yusho after he got those freebies.

Kisenosato, besides his stability in the ring, from his tachi-ai glare and putting his hands down routine oozes a certain confidence that shows to me that he's really in this for the win.

Harumafuji v Gagamaru, is in a way the polar opposite of Takanoyama, just replace skill with bulk. And as Harumafuji just demonstrated, if you can't prevent your opponent from getting a good grip on your mawashi, you're pretty much hosed. Still, Gagamaru made him work more for his victory than most this basho.

Houmashou, makes an admirable effort against Hakuhou but didn't have what it takes to bag him a kinboshi and a probable shukunsho.

As for the line-up for day 8, with Harumafuji v Myogriyuu, the former gets the biggest challenge of the basho he's had so far. Regardless, one of them is going to fall back in the race for the yusho. Similarly, with Aminishiki v Kakuryuu, one of them will fall out of the chasing pack.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
takanoyama is still so drat fun to watch, i hope he can build up some momentum and get his 8 wins this basho

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Day 8: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGjBydDDiHQ.

Kyokutenhou, besides all the amusing theories about tanking his rank to get easier match-ups looks almost nothing like he did last basho.

Takanoyama v Wakakoyu, demonstrates that as long as you won't let him get a hold on your mawashi, he's basically without a chance.

Chiyotairyuu v Takayasu, see that Takayasu makes kachikoshi on day 8, in contrast to last basho where he made makekoshi on the same day. With a performance like this, he's bound to go up in the ranks, I'm just hoping he'll be a more stable fixture there than others.

Harumafuji v Myogiryuu, pulls out some spectacular move and defeats Myogiryuu handily, with the latter providing far less of a challenge than I anticipated.

Hakuhou v Toyonoshima, Toyonoshima had Hakuhou in stall there, and despite Hakuhou winning, he didn't quite seem on top of his game. I feel that if he had been, the former situation probably wouldn't have arisen in the first place, and otherwise resolved much faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Kisenosato - I loved that little pep in his step after he won. Still completely error free in his performances. Hakuho is going down.

Kind of a boring day aside from Harumafuji's win.

I'm really interested to see what happens if Harumafuji goes 14-1 or 15-0 without having to wrestle three rikishi who can beat him any time they go against him - Baruto, Kotooshu, and Kotoshogiku. I'm thinking even a 14-1 jun-yusho won't cut it at this point - all or nothing.

Speaking of injuries, I wonder if the 3 injuries shuffle things downwards enough to where Kyokutenho and Takayasu end up facing one more sanyaku than they normally would. Those guys might easily go 13-2 or 14-1 themselves from the depths of the makuuchi.