Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
MY GIRLFRIEND really likes those flavored coffee creamers, but they're pretty much water, sugar, palm oil, and artificial flavoring (not even milk or cream in them). Is there a way to make flavored coffee creamer but with actual cream or half-and-half? I was considering trying something like making a cream cocktail (with simple syrup and cocktail bitters) and seeing if that would give the right flavor to it, but has anyone tried something in the past?

Alternately, if it's not possible (or just way too difficult), is there a boxed coffee creamer that's not as bad as the others?

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Sep 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't see why you couldn't gently steep half and half with some sugar and a vanilla bean, or any other flavorings you wanted. It wouldn't keep as long as the fake stuff, obviously, but you could make it taste a lot better.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I also could mix in some vanilla sugar, should I just steep a vanilla bean pod in the cream or chop it up?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
There's always Irish Cream.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you split it or otherwise chop it, you'll have vanilla tiny seeds in your creamer, which your SO might object to. You'll get better flavor extraction if you split it though. Or just use vanilla sugar. Or use the whole bean pod, then rinse it off and make more vanilla sugar.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Thanks for the leg meat suggestions. I will try slow roasting tonight.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Happy Abobo posted:

Admittedly I haven't actually tried it, but I'm always on the lookout for pork shoulder recipes, and I grabbed this one off of CHOW that looks pretty drat good.
Sweet frickin' deal. I don't have a blender or any of those spices but that really gives me a good start. Thanks!

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

scuz posted:

Sweet frickin' deal. I don't have a blender or any of those spices but that really gives me a good start. Thanks!

On the other hand, I wasn't looking for the recipe but I have all of those spices by chance. Cooking this, thanks Abobo

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

scuz posted:

I have 1 pound of pork butt and a lot of pork fat. If I had more than 1 pound I'd have more of a clue what to do with it, but I'm looking for other things to do than 225f for 12 hours.

Until the moon crashes into the Earth (plus a few days).

I have used this recipe in the past when I want to make pork shoulder and not cook the entire thing. It's pretty good but I would be sure to have *all* of the ingredients on hand because it's not a flavor powerhouse so omissions would leave it lacking. Also make sure to add roasted garlic and water chestnuts (if available) because that poo poo is awesome.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Alternately, if it's not possible (or just way too difficult), is there a boxed coffee creamer that's not as bad as the others?

http://naturalbliss.coffee-mate.com/

Ingredients: Nonfat milk, heavy cream, sugar, natural flavor.

Because sometimes you just want that jug'o'creamer for your coffee.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
We have a Datil pepper plant that has virtually exploded with peppers this season, more than I can use right away before they start going bad. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to keep them other than throwing them in the freezer? I normally use these making a couple of batches of salsa, Minorcan chicken pilau which uses it as a staple ingredient or pretty much anything else I can cook up that uses peppers for heat. I just have more than I can handle this go around. TIA

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Pickled peppers!!

CombatCupcake
Oct 20, 2005
This is in an old movie from 1970, it takes place in Portugal or Spain. We've been trying to figure out what it is they're eating.
They are drinking hot chocolate in the coffee cups, and supposedly milk in the glasses. But we cannot figure out what those blocky white things are! They each grab one, so they are firm enough to grab (as opposed to say cotton candy). Then they each dunk it in the milk, leaving it in the glass, even stirring the 'milk' with it. But we don't see them actually eat it.
The brown log things are some biscuit or something they do eat, not concerned so much with those. Guessing some cinnamon biscuit sort of thing, but if you knew that too, also appreciated.

Any ideas???

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

CombatCupcake posted:

This is in an old movie from 1970, it takes place in Portugal or Spain. We've been trying to figure out what it is they're eating.
They are drinking hot chocolate in the coffee cups, and supposedly milk in the glasses. But we cannot figure out what those blocky white things are! They each grab one, so they are firm enough to grab (as opposed to say cotton candy). Then they each dunk it in the milk, leaving it in the glass, even stirring the 'milk' with it. But we don't see them actually eat it.
The brown log things are some biscuit or something they do eat, not concerned so much with those. Guessing some cinnamon biscuit sort of thing, but if you knew that too, also appreciated.

Any ideas???

Could be sobaos, Spanish sponge cakes which are often dunked into coffee?

Daemoxx
Oct 20, 2007
[witty comment goes here]
I'm a reasonably new cook, and was thinking of doing a pot pie. I just made chicken stock, so I'm pretty well set for the filling. The problem is every recipe I have found needs a food processor. We have a Magic Bullet and a hand mixer.

How does this recipe look: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pie-crust-recipe/index.html and can I make my own piecrust without a food processor, or should I just suck it up and buy frozens?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Daemoxx posted:

I'm a reasonably new cook, and was thinking of doing a pot pie. I just made chicken stock, so I'm pretty well set for the filling. The problem is every recipe I have found needs a food processor. We have a Magic Bullet and a hand mixer.

How does this recipe look: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pie-crust-recipe/index.html and can I make my own piecrust without a food processor, or should I just suck it up and buy frozens?

You can use a pastry blender if you have one:

You can also use a fork, a whisk, two knives and you use to cut it in or your hands. Basically, you're trying to keep the butter/lard from melting while also getting it blended with the flour into tiny little balls.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Food processors are just a way of making pie crust preparation easier. You can cut in the butter by hand. Try to keep things cold. This list of helpful tips should make things pretty easy.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
How difficult is it to make homemade ravioli without any special tools? I never hear about homemade ravioli.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

tarepanda posted:

How difficult is it to make homemade ravioli without any special tools? I never hear about homemade ravioli.

Super easy, especially if you use wonton wrappers :X

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

tarepanda posted:

It's a bit of a pain to roll out the dough thinly enough by hand without a roller, so just use wonton wrappers :kimchi:

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Really? I always thought wonton wrappers were a lot different in composition for some reason. It's super easy for me to get those since I live in Japan...

How do you seal them for that ravioli look?

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

tarepanda posted:

Really? I always thought wonton wrappers were a lot different in composition for some reason. It's super easy for me to get those since I live in Japan...

The wrappers are squares, so just fold corner to corner for triangle ravioli. A light brush of egg where the sides touch together will keep them from loosening up.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I always just use a wet fingertip to seal wonton wrappers when I make rangoons.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
I just found out about foodpairing.be today. Do any of you have a subscription? Do you consider it worth the money? I already have a copy of The Flavor Bible (albeit the unwieldy Kindle edition, not the physical book), so I don't know if I could justify $20 American a month on the site's Pro version.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

tarepanda posted:

It's definitely not exactly the same, but it's probably cheaper to just get the wonton wrappers too soooooo

CloseFriend posted:

I just found out about foodpairing.be today. Do any of you have a subscription? Do you consider it worth the money? I already have a copy of The Flavor Bible (albeit the unwieldy Kindle edition, not the physical book), so I don't know if I could justify $20 American a month on the site's Pro version.

gently caress the kindle edition of the flavor bible. It's beyond useless.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

It's definitely not exactly the same, but it's probably cheaper to just get the wonton wrappers too soooooo

Yea, the skin is thinner and you won't be able to get a good al dente feel out of it, but it should still taste great.

Hell, some of the cheaper Chinese restaurants over where I live will use spaghetti instead of proper lo mein noodles. I witnessed this at my last job. Not quite the same, but close enough to where the customers don't complain (the customers were pretty much all white folks).

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Mach420 posted:

Hell, some of the cheaper Chinese restaurants over where I live will use spaghetti instead of proper lo mein noodles. I witnessed this at my last job. Not quite the same, but close enough to where the customers don't complain (the customers were pretty much all white folks).

I've seen that done in China too. Feel no guilt.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

CombatCupcake posted:

Any ideas???

The brown thing is probably turron which is a typical dessert for that region. My father's family has roots back in the Canary Islands whose heritage is of Spain. We had a lot of the desserts around especially on the holidays.

Your mysterious white item is a form of meringue. Not the typical fluffy creamy stuff on pies, but something tougher and we would dip it in hot chocolate or cocoa where it would eventually melt in and sweeten it. That along with churros or torrejas which is similar to French toast. I am getting a sugar high just thinking about all that again.

The meringue, I have seen them in a lot of spanish or latin markets. Now off to find something sweet because all this dessert talk did a number on me.

CombatCupcake
Oct 20, 2005

demonR6 posted:

The brown thing is probably turron which is a typical dessert for that region. My father's family has roots back in the Canary Islands whose heritage is of Spain. We had a lot of the desserts around especially on the holidays.

Your mysterious white item is a form of meringue. Not the typical fluffy creamy stuff on pies, but something tougher and we would dip it in hot chocolate or cocoa where it would eventually melt in and sweeten it. That along with churros or torrejas which is similar to French toast. I am getting a sugar high just thinking about all that again.

The meringue, I have seen them in a lot of spanish or latin markets. Now off to find something sweet because all this dessert talk did a number on me.

THANKS! Its been bugging us for 2 weeks! I thought for sure it wasn't meringue cause it seemed too stiff (and not in a cookie form), and figured why would you put meringue in milk? Which is the other thing I didn't get... why would they be served hot chocolate (we're pretty sure its not coffee), AND a glass of milk?

Omp
Sep 8, 2012

by T. Mascis
What's the cheapest meat you can get that won't kill you?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

As long as it isn't rotten it's not going to kill you. What meat is cheap depends entirely on where you are. You might be able to pick up a big beef roast for next to nothing, whereas where I am even $10 a pound would be incredibly cheap for beef.

Chicken tends to be one of the cheapest everywhere, so, chicken I guess? Organ meats, if you're in a place those aren't commonly eaten?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Omp posted:

Chicken is generally the cheapest, yes. Especially if you buy wigglessad chickens on sale and break them down yourself. I've seen them regularly go as low as $0.79/lb. But even the happiest chickens ever can go for about $2.49/lb

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

GrAviTy84 posted:

Chicken is generally the cheapest, yes. Especially if you buy wigglessad chickens on sale and break them down yourself. I've seen them regularly go as low as $0.79/lb

God I miss American food prices. The lowest I've ever seen chicken (which is almost always the cheapest here) was a little over two bucks a pound for whole ones. And the chickens here are smaller/less meaty so you're paying for a lot more bone.

Omp
Sep 8, 2012

by T. Mascis

GrAviTy84 posted:

Chicken is generally the cheapest, yes. Especially if you buy wigglessad chickens on sale and break them down yourself. I've seen them regularly go as low as $0.79/lb. But even the happiest chickens ever can go for about $2.49/lb

Do you mean limp chickens? I didn't even know that was a bad thing, but I've never bought whole chickens before (well, dead ones at any rate)

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Omp posted:

Do you mean limp chickens? I didn't even know that was a bad thing, but I've never bought whole chickens before (well, dead ones at any rate)

I think "wigglessad" may be code for "Costco".

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Omp posted:

Factory farm chickens aka chickens that make wiggles sad.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

CombatCupcake posted:

THANKS! Its been bugging us for 2 weeks! I thought for sure it wasn't meringue cause it seemed too stiff (and not in a cookie form), and figured why would you put meringue in milk? Which is the other thing I didn't get... why would they be served hot chocolate (we're pretty sure its not coffee), AND a glass of milk?

No prob! It looked familiar and when you mentioned the movie origin it hit the mark. PM me if you are interested and I can pick up a package (or six) and get it out to you if you are interested in trying it. I can throw a rock and find a Hispanic market or even hit one of the pastry shops and see if they have something similar. Pretty much every Hispanic culture has some form of it or another by what I have seen when I stop in at the one of the bakeries. I used to dip them in Café con leche bypassing adding sugar to it as a sweetener. Those days are over since I am no spring chicken anymore and it goes right to my butt.

Five Spice
Nov 20, 2007

By your powers combined...

Omp posted:

In addition to chicken, pork is often very cheap, if you like the rough 'n tough cuts that take some braising/BBQing to break down. I see pork shoulder go for anywhere between .99-1.39/lb 'round my neck of the woods.

Chicken leg quarters are also absurdly cheap most of the time. I see them usually for .49-.79/lb.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

noblesse posted:

In addition to chicken, pork is often very cheap, if you like the rough 'n tough cuts that take some braising/BBQing to break down. I see pork shoulder go for anywhere between .99-1.39/lb 'round my neck of the woods.

Chicken leg quarters are also absurdly cheap most of the time. I see them usually for .49-.79/lb.

Pork shoulder is pretty inexpensive as well and you can make a really tasty roast with it. Leftovers shredded in and made into a nice pork sandwich are amazing too.

I have to get out of this thread, every time I stop in I leave hungry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Any reasonably priced all you can eat sushi places in downtown Minneapolis?