Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
The way you write sounds like you are ready for some adult diapers.
If that doesn't fit your needs see a doctor, he might now what's up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Why do some people can fall asleep while laying on their backs, and some can't?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

What happens if someone murders another person on the ISS?

Who prosecutes the murderer? Where do they put the body? Would they draw up a plan to get the murderer down as quickly as possible, or would they just wait until the next flight goes up sometime? What happens to the murderer, would the rest of the crew have to restrain the person?
Sounds like a decent hypothetical question for the Legal Megathread. Check the OP.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

What happens if someone murders another person on the ISS?

Who prosecutes the murderer? Where do they put the body? Would they draw up a plan to get the murderer down as quickly as possible, or would they just wait until the next flight goes up sometime? What happens to the murderer, would the rest of the crew have to restrain the person?

Legally it would probably follow laws similar to what you find in places like antarctica. Does the US oversee a lot of it because i wouldnt be surprised if it was followed all US laws. That said it probably depends what nationality murdered another nationality as well. A bit of a diplomatic blow up would occur.

The body would be put somewhere like a sealed body bag as they have contingency plans if someone died from natural causes. I know ive read something about that which detailed what they planned for MIR.

I also think they would want to bring the guy down ASAP because thats pretty hosed up for the rest of the crew. I assume someone would have to really snap to do that up there. Their mental health is monitored quite seriously. Theres a lot of variables.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
You could just quickly google it, there is a nice wiki-page on Space Law. For the ISS, countries have jurisdiction over their own modules, and an agreement is in place for the rest.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Thanks for the hard drive advice, folks. For whatever reason I never even considered total destruction an option.

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009

Crankit posted:

Sometimes after I pee there is a little bit of urine left in my peepee and when I return him to my underwear a little drop seeps out. It wasn't always a problem but being nearly 30 I notice it's become worse than it was, will it continue to get worse and are there strategies to avoid this, I've tried shaking my johnson vigorously and even pinching it at the base and squeezing it like a toothpaste tube that I want to get the last amount of toothpaste out of.
This still isn't improving things for me and I don't want to smell of pee or have damp undies, what should I do?
dab the head of your dick with a bit of toilet paper. Simple.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf

Robokomodo posted:

dab the head of your dick with a bit of toilet paper. Simple.

Also, with your index and middle fingers below the balls kind of near the taint lift up your sack. That should get the last remaining drops out.

Titan Coeus
Jul 30, 2007

check out my horn
My friend wants to give me his car so I can insure it as he is in a situation where he can't get car insurance (didn't pay a speed ticket -> license suspended -> insurance companies won't sell him insurance without a license (I think) -> DMV won't let him get his license without insurance (I think)).

Is there any way this could come back and bite me in the rear end? I figure if something goes bad I can just sell the car or whatever but I want to be sure there isn't anything else I'm forgetting.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Titan Coeus posted:

My friend wants to give me his car so I can insure it as he is in a situation where he can't get car insurance (didn't pay a speed ticket -> license suspended -> insurance companies won't sell him insurance without a license (I think) -> DMV won't let him get his license without insurance (I think)).

Is there any way this could come back and bite me in the rear end? I figure if something goes bad I can just sell the car or whatever but I want to be sure there isn't anything else I'm forgetting.

Apart from your insurance being liable for any accidents, thus raising your premiums?

* Someone will have to pay the taxes on the car when it is registered after its ownership is transferred -that's based on a "blue book" value, not the selling price of zero dollars.

* This is based on my State's laws; yours may be different.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
I need to buy an SSD in a NAS for less than £250. Cant find anything worthwhile on google/in pc hardware stores. Any ideas?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I went to Target and purchased a PC video game. I got home and realized I already have it and need to exchange. I checked the bag and they didn't give me a receipt. Seriously, they didn't.

The game is unopened. Can I return it for something else? Will it help if I go back the same day?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Did you pay with a card? They could look it up.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

the posted:

I went to Target and purchased a PC video game. I got home and realized I already have it and need to exchange. I checked the bag and they didn't give me a receipt. Seriously, they didn't.

The game is unopened. Can I return it for something else? Will it help if I go back the same day?

Go back asap and try to catch the person who sold it to you? Otherwise you might be out of luck. If you don't have a receipt you might be able to exchange it for another game if you're incredibly lucky and polite. Most likely they might think you tole it from them/another tore and are looking for free poo poo.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Fists Up posted:

Legally it would probably follow laws similar to what you find in places like antarctica. Does the US oversee a lot of it because i wouldnt be surprised if it was followed all US laws. That said it probably depends what nationality murdered another nationality as well. A bit of a diplomatic blow up would occur.

The body would be put somewhere like a sealed body bag as they have contingency plans if someone died from natural causes. I know ive read something about that which detailed what they planned for MIR.

I also think they would want to bring the guy down ASAP because thats pretty hosed up for the rest of the crew. I assume someone would have to really snap to do that up there. Their mental health is monitored quite seriously. Theres a lot of variables.

Samopsa posted:

You could just quickly google it, there is a nice wiki-page on Space Law. For the ISS, countries have jurisdiction over their own modules, and an agreement is in place for the rest.

Thanks.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Golbez posted:

Sigh+no, I believe. Rhymes with rhino, no "h" sound hiding in there.

My own question: A month and a half ago I fell in the shower and bent my left index finger bad enough to cause lingering pain. Had an x-ray done two weeks later and found nothing, they suggested it was just badly sprained, but it still hurts pretty bad between the first two knuckles, though only when being bent beyond a certain range. It doesn't hurt at rest or when typing. Unfortunately I haven't been able to keep it in a buddy splint because I code for a living, so I've been using it pretty much constantly. But now I'm starting to worry that I've done permanent damage because it still hurts. Does that happen that fast? Will my pain ever go away? Am I just going to have to suck it up and splint it for a week and type one-handed?

edit: vvv That might work too, I thought of the question as "Sino" in opposition to the "ch" sound you find in China and where that went.

buttopticor posted:

I've always heard "sigh"-"no", but wikitionary suggests "sin"-"no" (no pause; a single n sound) is also acceptable.

Thanks. New question: Is there a thread about Modern Architecture?

Captain Payne
Sep 27, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Is there a scientific reason why women tend to be more sensitive to colder temperatures than men? Is it something with body fat?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
I have heard (from a female friend, no less!) that women's bodies prioritize keeping their womb at exactly the right temperature, all of the time, often at the expense of their general comfort. I am not a doctor, or a woman, so take it with a grain of salt.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Crankit posted:

Sometimes after I pee there is a little bit of urine left in my peepee and when I return him to my underwear a little drop seeps out. It wasn't always a problem but being nearly 30 I notice it's become worse than it was, will it continue to get worse and are there strategies to avoid this, I've tried shaking my johnson vigorously and even pinching it at the base and squeezing it like a toothpaste tube that I want to get the last amount of toothpaste out of.
This still isn't improving things for me and I don't want to smell of pee or have damp undies, what should I do?

In addition to what others have mentioned, you may want to have your prostate examined, as it could be a condition that would require medication. Since you're 30, it's a possibility, all I'm saying.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Captain Payne posted:

Is there a scientific reason why women tend to be more sensitive to colder temperatures than men? Is it something with body fat?

This straight dope is a bit old but it summarizes most of the popular theories:
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2396/why-are-women-always-cold

I googled 'temperature tolerance differential between genders' and got shitloads of research papers but I didn't read them.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Lance Streetman posted:

Thanks. New question: Is there a thread about Modern Architecture?

There's a thread in Creative Convention, but it doesn't look like it really went anywhere.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
I have just bought a 3D TV and think 3D gaming is simply awesome and omfg I love it. I am using TriDef3D and it doesn't seem to support games running in 64bit mode. What is the easiest way to force games (The Witcher, Crysis) to run in 32bit mode so I can play them in 3D goodness?

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

Per posted:

Also, with your index and middle fingers below the balls kind of near the taint lift up your sack. That should get the last remaining drops out.

Holy poo poo this really does work.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Where are all the avatars with this character on them:

coming from?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Al! posted:

Where are all the avatars with this character on them:

coming from?

The webcomic called Gunnerkrigg Court. SA thread

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

the posted:

Might not be possible with PC games nowadays but Target doesn't need a receipt if you paid with a credit card.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I have a 1925 edition of Bertrand Russell's "ABC of Relativity." Is it worth anything? I don't see it sold anywhere, only much later copies.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I have the occasional mushroom growing out of the ceiling in my bathroom. The problem is a lovely old pipe leaking in the apartment above, which my landlord knows about and will fix when he can, before replacing our ceiling as well.

Until then, is there a home-remedy-style fungicide I can use on it? I was cutting it out and spraying the area with diluted bleach (which I had on hand) and it would stop it for a while, but it comes back.

Alternatively, recommended cheap actual fungicide?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Red_Fred posted:

Yeah I'm doing the CrashPlan trial. It seems to be the cheapest and has the most options.

Just a heads up, they're running a free 1-year promo for all new and currently free sucscribers.

https://www.crashplan.com/carboniteswitcher/

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

What happened to the lesser Russian aristocrats after and during the Russian Revolution? Not the Tsar or similar (who I know were mostly executed), but the small players who owned few serfs and perhaps one or two stately homes. Did many of them join opposition forces like the White Army? Or was it more common for them to flee the country? How many became Bolsheviks either out of genuine belief or a sense of self-preservation?

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
Does anyone have any good resources on writing your own academic letter of recommendation? I need one and the professor who has agreed to recommend me said she wants me to write it myself and she'll review it and sign it, but I don't know how to do that. I also need to write a "statement of purpose" and while I have a general idea of what to write, I would like more information on what to include, what not to include, etc. I looked in SAL for some place to post this or a thread about this kind of thing and didn't see anything. :ohdear:

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008
I am apparently one of the few people who still use Microsoft OneNote, and I have forgotten my password for one of the pages in a workbook (but remember it for other pages). Microsoft says once you lose your password that is that. But a perfunctory Google search brought up some password recovery things.

My judgment is too clouded with annoyance at my brain for thinking up a creative password, and with OneNote for apparently making me password-protect each separate page so I have to be either intelligent or consistent to keep up with my own passwords...has anyone found any of these recovery things trustworthy?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

ladyweapon posted:

I looked in SAL for some place to post this or a thread about this kind of thing and didn't see anything. :ohdear:

Is this for grad school? If so, I recommend you crosspost your question in the The Grad School Applications and Admissions Megathread. It's probably been answered there before (but maybe only in a previous version of the thread?), so maybe try a forums search?

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Per posted:

Just pissed all over my hand doing this, why does it work and how do you know about it?

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

buttopticor posted:

Is this for grad school? If so, I recommend you crosspost your question in the The Grad School Applications and Admissions Megathread. It's probably been answered there before (but maybe only in a previous version of the thread?), so maybe try a forums search?

No, not grad school. Its for an undergraduate honors program.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tell me your best space themed lawyer joke so that I can receive a free drink from a coworker

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Mnoba posted:

Just pissed all over my hand doing this, why does it work and how do you know about it?

It's basic anatomy. As fluid pressure drops, fluid pools in low spots. All you're trying to do is lift and straighten the urethra, so all the urine can drain out. Works every time.

Take a look at this photo for reference:

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

Tell me your best space themed lawyer joke so that I can receive a free drink from a coworker

What do you call 50,000 lawyers sent into space? A good start.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

ladyweapon posted:

No, not grad school. Its for an undergraduate honors program.

That's a little rare of a situation, but some grad students have probably gone through it at the grad school level, so the grad school thread might still be a good idea. There's also the college and academic advice thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.
Why hasn't The Burn been canceled yet?