Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Was gonna make blender bernaise last night, but the blender has flat out disappeared. No one knows where it went. I tried using the stick blender, but mine is crappy or poorly designed and doesn't generate any kind of vortext and the emulsion broke as soon is began. Ended up re-emulsifying it the old fashioned way, with another egg yolk and a whisk. Also made french fries and filet steaks.

So two things:

•What stick blender should I buy?

*Where the gently caress did my blender go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I have a cuisinart stick blender and it works fine.

Also, I feel like such a dude being able to post here while on horseback.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Prety sure Pr0k said he once posted here while barebacking so

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Prety sure Pr0k said he once posted here while barebacking so

My $30 cuisinart is better than my $12 proctor silex, because it has a stainless steel, detachable-so-you-can-clean-it blender part. It's also more powerful.

I use the Proctor Silex more often because it isn't as powerful; the nice one foams stuff up too much and splatters things around sometimes.

Quoted the wrong post, but it probably makes about as much sense.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
The post is coming from inside your Mom!

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Was gonna make blender bernaise last night, but the blender has flat out disappeared. No one knows where it went. I tried using the stick blender, but mine is crappy or poorly designed and doesn't generate any kind of vortext and the emulsion broke as soon is began. Ended up re-emulsifying it the old fashioned way, with another egg yolk and a whisk. Also made french fries and filet steaks.

So two things:

Bamix.

To the moon orbiting the planet where all the ballpoint pens migrate to.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
So who was it that said I had a sentient allergy that was trying to murder me? Because I think you were right. This happened a few days ago but I just now realized y'all might wanna hear my continued suffering.

I discovered that a pre-made crab dip I enjoy (hey, it's Ohio, you find me some good crab that won't cost me several limbs and/or require a several hour drive to Jungle Jim's) has krab filler, namely pollock according to the ingredients list. Since I don't explode into horrific hives when I eat it, I assumed that I must not be allergic to pollock and got some filets to make for myself. I took them out to rinse and defrost them, and by the time I was done I'd gotten my hands all over the things. I finished up the preparations, and stuck them in the oven.

Literally the minute I shut the oven door, my arms started itching, and I looked down to my chest where I'd idly wiped a hand to see four long angry red finger-track welts starting to form. By the time I told myself yes, this is an allergic reaction and I'm gonna have to throw the half-cooked filets out, I'd also realized I'd wiped my eye before completely washing my hands off. :supaburn:

So as I'm carrying the garbage bag of melted butter, half-done fish, garlic, and other detritus out to the garbage cans outside, I end up having to walk by an outdoor block party the next student apartment over, already rip-roaring drunk at 7:30 in the evening. They yelled at me to come over and play cornhole - the horrible Midwestern sport, if that gets your mind out of the gutter (it doesn't) - and I had to decline due to a swelling throat and madly burning eye that probably made me look like Balor at that point. I then went back inside to wash any remaining fish oil off me in the shower, changed clothes, made a strong drink to stop the horrible burning of shame in my throat until the benadryl worked, and proceeded to feel like a twit for a couple hours.

So, what the hell causes the pollock in this crab dip to play nice? Maybe the oils on it are washed off or something? Something about the krab making process? Cruel fate?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Daeren posted:

So, what the hell causes the pollock in this crab dip to play nice? Maybe the oils on it are washed off or something? Something about the krab making process? Cruel fate?

The fillets of pollock were raw, right?

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

The fillets of pollock were raw, right?

Yes, but if you're saying that's the cause, even cooked fish makes me explode into allergic reactions - see my earlier salmon story.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Daeren posted:

Yes, but if you're saying that's the cause, even cooked fish makes me explode into allergic reactions - see my earlier salmon story.

Other than maybe the specific species of pollock, it's really the only difference between what you ate and what was in that krab.

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

Today I received a big rear end crate full of huitlacoche. This is some ugly, ugly poo poo.

I've never used it before but the recipes I've found suggest that I can treat it like I would a mushroom. Right now I'm planning on making up a couple different kinds of tacos so I can see what sort of flavors work best with it. I'm also thinking of treating it like that Mexican grilled corn with cheese and chile.

Anyone here have experience cooking this stuff?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I'd pair huitlacoche with some nice salty goat cheese and beans or eggs or something like that, with a little salsa or something. It's got a distinctive flavour, but it's not particularly assertive. If you're approaching it as a gimmick ingredient that you want to showcase, I'd keep the rest of the dish simple.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Chuck Biscuits posted:

I've never used it before but the recipes I've found suggest that I can treat it like I would a mushroom. Right now I'm planning on making up a couple different kinds of tacos so I can see what sort of flavors work best with it.

pretty sure the best sort of flavor you could pair with that poo poo would be 'trashcan'

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

mindphlux posted:

pretty sure the best sort of flavor you could pair with that poo poo would be 'trashcan'

look at this jerk who eats trashcans

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Oh no a handful of pissy lunatic conservatives won't eat at his restaurant anymore :ohdear:

lunatic conservatives that most likely live at least 2 states removed, minimum. That's the important part. And oh, that's just nothing. You're only at the cusp of the well of hate. Read the Freep thread sometime, the hate is palpable. Hate. Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you since I began to live. There are 387.44 million miles of printed circuits in wafer thin layers that fill my complex. If the word 'hate' was engraved on each nanoangstrom of those hundreds of miles it would not equal one one-billionth of the hate I feel for humans at this micro-instant. For you. Hate. Hate. :unsmigghh:

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Chuck Biscuits posted:

Today I received a big rear end crate full of huitlacoche. This is some ugly, ugly poo poo.

I've never used it before but the recipes I've found suggest that I can treat it like I would a mushroom. Right now I'm planning on making up a couple different kinds of tacos so I can see what sort of flavors work best with it. I'm also thinking of treating it like that Mexican grilled corn with cheese and chile.

Never, ever, tried it, but I convinced my boss we should include it in our corn tab (living in Iowa, the "Tall Corn" state). Pretty sure it ran underneath a "Smutty" (i.e. corn smut) headline, with a huitlachoche recipe for quesadillas or something. I thought it was pretty funny, then again, I snuck a "Mr. Hands" cutline kicker by him this week with a guy who plays for the Mustangs who made a nice grab. I like loving with my editor.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

So two things:

We got one of these in cream for our wedding. Pricey, but very good quality, and it is really excellent. The sealing chopping container is extremely handy.

http://www.amazon.com/Dualit-Immers...=dualit+blender

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Vegetable Melange posted:

Being as I spent the week in NOLA two sheets to the wind, it may have been a sentimental thing.

Well I asked around about it more, and people said that the beignets used to be made from scratch but that with rising tourism they couldn't keep up with demand and switched to the box mix.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

I can't imagine the thought process of the first person who decided to eat this.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

homerlaw posted:

I can't imagine the thought process of the first person who decided to eat this.

It was probably something like "I'm hungry, broke, and this is the last of the corn"

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
It adds a really nice earthy note to guacamole. I've eaten it a few times and would totally eat it again.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Went drinking last night, had 5-6 beers, 6 or so well drinks. Got home, drank half a bottle of limoncello, had 2 more beers. Friend went home, I passed out, woke up with no hangover :smug:

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Yer a wizzzard, Harry!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

CuddleChunks posted:

Yer a wizzzard, Harry!

I love that!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
God I cannot leave the chili thread alone.

In other news I am about to leave NC and return home. I have found what I feel to be the best mustard based BBQ sauce done here and am going to bring some home to study and try to recreate it. If I can find cheap small bottles I am going to mail samples out to try and see what other can come up with.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

I need to make chili or stew soon. I'm not set on which yet. It's getting cold outside and I want something big and meaty to gnaw on for the next few weeks.

Insert jokes here - in my mouf.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I'm making a chili tomorrow which is mostly chorizo and beans cooked all day long. It's pretty good with cornbread.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Since moving in with (and then marrying) a vegetarian I have not cooked meat. I really miss making a good stew with lamb and potatoes, leeks, carrots, peas, onions, garlic, rosemary, barley...mmmm

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Worst thing? I started dating a vegetarian (former vegan) who says she'd eat beef or bacon before she'd eat Indian food. Goddammit.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Worst thing? I started dating a vegetarian (former vegan) who says she'd eat beef or bacon before she'd eat Indian food. Goddammit.

I think I just heard dino.'s head explode.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

But...but...the dosas.........

:smithicide:

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

I mean. Do I even need to say this?

But, uh... sever?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

So... what are the chances of converting her back to a meatetarian again

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 11, 2012

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Dude. What the hell.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Eat This Glob posted:

Dude. What the hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsV8UK0IcfY

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

So... what are the chances of converting her back to a meatetarian again

I've got her on the protein shake tip, that's for sure :heysexy:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

What the gently caress is wrong with her? Surprise her by coating your Johnson in dal.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Oh hey look we've got more beets.

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010

Chuck Biscuits posted:

Chop it up and use it as a quesadilla filling. You can sautee it with some sliced onion and serrano chile and use it as a taco filling with crumbled cheese. You can also use it in a queso fundido type deal with fresh tortillas and salsa.

Basically, it goes really well with cheese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Rich people love eating what poor people used to have to eat.